• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2021 11:37 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
Kherani wrote: Anyone know of any decent games that are mouse only? I'm going for shoulder surgery Friday and my shoulder will be immobilised for 6 weeks.
Solitaire.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
You can play most RTS games with mouse only. Some RPGs. Most point and click adventure games. I'll try to go through my steam library later.
Jun 20, 2016
57 posts
112 upvotes
Kherani wrote: Anyone know of any decent games that are mouse only? I'm going for shoulder surgery Friday and my shoulder will be immobilised for 6 weeks.
Diablo 3?

It's been awhile, but I remember playing Diablo 1 mouse only.. am pretty sure you can play 3 with only the mouse.. plus people are saying it's very good bc the developers keep updating it
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2007
5058 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check some of them out, particularly Diablo 3. I always wanted to try it out.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
My Acer XB271Hu replacement arrived last night. I wasn't happy with the backlight bleed so they sent me a new one but I didn't do an advanced RMA so I was stuck with my old 60hz Dell for awhile. Replacement is perfect in every way. Man the difference between this and the Dell is just night and day for gaming. I think GSync is probably the single biggest upgrade I've seen in gaming since the old Riva TNT days. Not just the visual experience either, you can even feel the difference with input latency. Going back to 60hz for a week was very annoying. I waffled for a long time on whether it would be worth the cash but ultimately decided to take a chance. You stare at the monitor too long not to put some cash into it. Worth every penny.

Super happy with my current setup now, 1440p is the perfect compromise resolution for me. 4k just requires too much muscle and investment. Witcher 3 at 1440p with decent framerates is absolutely stunning.
Oct 9, 2011
733 posts
765 upvotes
EAST YORK
Civ 5 and any other strategy/RTS game
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: My Acer XB271Hu replacement arrived last night. I wasn't happy with the backlight bleed so they sent me a new one but I didn't do an advanced RMA so I was stuck with my old 60hz Dell for awhile. Replacement is perfect in every way. Man the difference between this and the Dell is just night and day for gaming. I think GSync is probably the single biggest upgrade I've seen in gaming since the old Riva TNT days. Not just the visual experience either, you can even feel the difference with input latency. Going back to 60hz for a week was very annoying. I waffled for a long time on whether it would be worth the cash but ultimately decided to take a chance. You stare at the monitor too long not to put some cash into it. Worth every penny.

Super happy with my current setup now, 1440p is the perfect compromise resolution for me. 4k just requires too much muscle and investment. Witcher 3 at 1440p with decent framerates is absolutely stunning.
I don't know why but I always assumed you were a TV couch living room PC gamer for some reason. So with that Gsync monitor, if I understand correctly, the framerate can vary between 60-144hz and will look smooth without any tearing or other issues or is there more to it? What is your average FPS in the stuff you're playing and is the difference as noticeable and big on input lag as 30 vs 60fps, or is it a more subtle? Like I can't even fathom something being "smoother" than 60fps but I realize that's how people who are used to 30fps probably feel.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: I don't know why but I always assumed you were a TV couch living room PC gamer for some reason. So with that Gsync monitor, if I understand correctly, the framerate can vary between 60-144hz and will look smooth without any tearing or other issues or is there more to it? What is your average FPS in the stuff you're playing and is the difference as noticeable and big on input lag as 30 vs 60fps, or is it a more subtle? Like I can't even fathom something being "smoother" than 60fps but I realize that's how people who are used to 30fps probably feel.
I do both, I have a study upstairs where I sit at a desk and I also have an HTPC in the living room that streams stuff. I pretty much play everything, everywhere :) GSync basically kills screen tearing but without the hideous input lag from vsync. The monitor itself can also do 144hz which has its own advantages. I hadn't even realized how pronounced it was until I saw the difference. Freesync is the other equivalent but its ranges tend to be more limited though it is built into the new VESA spec. I play a ton of different stuff but tend to always max detail toggles so my framerates are all over the place, the difference is immediately noticeable and not at all subtle. It's especially telling in stuff like FPS or I suspect racing games. Even the mouse cursor in Windows looks wrong at 60hz now haha.

I didn't like the stand this thing came with so I mounted it to an Ergotron arm, that's about my only complaint with the Acer. Too much gamer bling on it but I guess some folks like that.

Its a huge amount of money in Canada, like $1k after taxes for a new one. I was really torn on it for awhile but monitors tend to last me like 6-8 years so I figured it was worth a chance. I wish these things had been around sooner, playing BF or CS on it is nuts.

Stores need to put them up on display, I was really annoyed I could never find a demo unit. I feel like more people would care about Freesync/Gsync stuff if they could experience it for themselves.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: I do both, I have a study upstairs where I sit at a desk and I also have an HTPC in the living room that streams stuff. I pretty much play everything, everywhere :) GSync basically kills screen tearing but without the hideous input lag from vsync. The monitor itself can also do 144hz which has its own advantages. I hadn't even realized how pronounced it was until I saw the difference. Freesync is the other equivalent but its ranges tend to be more limited though it is built into the new VESA spec. I play a ton of different stuff but tend to always max detail toggles so my framerates are all over the place, the difference is immediately noticeable and not at all subtle. It's especially telling in stuff like FPS or I suspect racing games. Even the mouse cursor in Windows looks wrong at 60hz now haha.

I didn't like the stand this thing came with so I mounted it to an Ergotron arm, that's about my only complaint with the Acer. Too much gamer bling on it but I guess some folks like that.

Its a huge amount of money in Canada, like $1k after taxes for a new one. I was really torn on it for awhile but monitors tend to last me like 6-8 years so I figured it was worth a chance. I wish these things had been around sooner, playing BF or CS on it is nuts.

Stores need to put them up on display, I was really annoyed I could never find a demo unit. I feel like more people would care about Freesync/Gsync stuff if they could experience it for themselves.
Damn I've only vaguely seen Gsync and Freesync mentioned in the past couple years and never imagined it'd be that huge a difference. Currently I only game on my monitor (standard 60hz 1080p 24" Dell) when I setup to play sim racing games but I haven't done much of that this year and have mostly been clearing through games better suited for the couch. It sounds like it'd be dope for racing games which I will get back into sooner than later, but I'm just wondering if investing in that or a Vive as a racing display would be better.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
My brother got a 144HZ 1440P monitor, I went over there to check it out because I had heard really good things but honestly it was difficult to discern the difference. I only played a couple games (HOTS, and some Warhammer strategy game) but I had to show the framerate counter because I wasn't sure if it was actually outputting at the high framerate, maybe there is a bigger difference in racing/FPS games or maybe I just am absolutely blind to these type of things.

On a side note I know HOTS isnt much of a looker but I was amazed that it could keep a steady 144Hz at max settings at 1440P on a GTX960
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
I don't know man, I recall us having some discussions because you couldn't see a big difference between 30 and 60 fps though too. Like no offense intended, if you can't then you can't but its readily apparent to me. Load up Battlefield and put the frame limiter to 30 then 144hz. If you really can't see a difference then count yourself lucky and put the difference in your wallet I guess.

GTA V, CS:GO, BF, etc are good games to test your framerate tolerances.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
That's not bad at all for a class action. Normally I get like a $5 coupon or some crappy game.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
I just realized it's probably US only and even if we can claim it in Canada, my receipt is in someone else name that I bought it from. You think they'd do it by receipt or serial numbers?
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
The handful I've submitted have been generic claim forms with contact info and serial/model #s. I did have one come back with a proof of payment request though. My luck with rebates on the other hand is way worse and I won't even get into it, I hate rebate companies.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it, I used to have 2 970s so that $60 USD would be nice.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Damn how many class action lawsuits have you been involved in? I've actually had pretty good luck with rebates. They're a pain in the ass and take 2-3 months to get any money back but they've always come through for me
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
144Hz is really noticeable in fast moving games or games that have a very animated style of aesthetic (Don't Starve, for example).
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
574 upvotes
yeah play cs:go for a week at 144hz and try going back to 60hz. the game feels like a laggy mess. took me a month to revert back to 60hz lol.
Jun 20, 2016
57 posts
112 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote: My brother got a 144HZ 1440P monitor, I went over there to check it out because I had heard really good things but honestly it was difficult to discern the difference. I only played a couple games (HOTS, and some Warhammer strategy game) but I had to show the framerate counter because I wasn't sure if it was actually outputting at the high framerate, maybe there is a bigger difference in racing/FPS games or maybe I just am absolutely blind to these type of things.

On a side note I know HOTS isnt much of a looker but I was amazed that it could keep a steady 144Hz at max settings at 1440P on a GTX960
Try an FPS game, that's where the real difference is..

I agree - it is subtle, but much more noticeable with certain games, also some people don't always have it set up optimally

A well set up 144hz monitor, with an FPS game and good graphics card... looks amazing, smooth as butter

Going back to a 60hz then becomes v noticeable