PC Gaming General Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2021 11:37 am
Tags:
None
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
I just started Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. I'm only like 6 hours in but already it feels like they reworked all of the annoyances from the prior game. Combat is much better and deeper, most of the spells are now per encounter instead of per rest and the story picks up very quickly. They have a nice summary at the beginning for people just jumping in too. I was really mixed on the first game after finishing it but this one is almost as good as D:OS2 so far.

Anyways nice to see all of these CRPGs doing well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: I was really mixed on the first game after finishing it but this one is almost as good as D:OS2 so far.
I was going to ask, I've heard both of these games are good but which would you recommend playing first between the two? I've had D:OS2 on my list for when I feel up for digging into a new RPG for a while now. Mostly waiting for it to go on sale with a bigger discount. I'm only dabbling with TW3 for now playing a quest here and there for a quick fix in the meanwhile
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: I was going to ask, I've heard both of these games are good but which would you recommend playing first between the two? I've had D:OS2 on my list for when I feel up for digging into a new RPG for a while now. Mostly waiting for it to go on sale with a bigger discount. I'm only dabbling with TW3 for now playing a quest here and there for a quick fix in the meanwhile
D:OS 2 is the better game in my opinion. Kind of stumbles in the last few areas but the rest of the game is so good you won't care. Combat is bonkers and fun as hell. Quests and dialogue were excellent too, some really hilarious unintended consequences for your decisions but I strongly encourage people not to savescum too much.

POE1 I wouldn't bother with, POE2 is just so much better in every way.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Sunset Overdrive got a PC rating/classification apparently so it looks we'll finally get a PC version of that. Might mean a sequel is going to be announced at E3 too. I hope it isn't a Microsoft store exclusive, I've never had a good experience with UWP games.

Battlefield V launch trailer was bonkers and made zero sense. WW2 British soldier with a katana on his back. Couldn't make heads or tails of the action. Really poor trailer overall, they needed something more subdued. It almost felt like an announcement for Bad Company 3 or something.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Redmask wrote: Sunset Overdrive got a PC rating/classification apparently so it looks we'll finally get a PC version of that. Might mean a sequel is going to be announced at E3 too. I hope it isn't a Microsoft store exclusive, I've never had a good experience with UWP games.

Battlefield V launch trailer was bonkers and made zero sense. WW2 British soldier with a katana on his back. Couldn't make heads or tails of the action. Really poor trailer overall, they needed something more subdued. It almost felt like an announcement for Bad Company 3 or something.
I have no doubt that EA will find a way to screw this up.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: I have no doubt that EA will find a way to screw this up.
Well the good news is that the Premium Pass nonsense is gone. I always hated how that split the community and left a lot of servers without players. On the other hand they didn't say anything how the game will be monetized. Hopefully its just cosmetics.

Apparently health regen is in thresholds and not back to full health which is good. You can actually run out of ammo between spawns, hopefully giving Support Classes a reason to exist again and perhaps making people pick and choose their shots more carefully. Deformation/Levolution are apparently back. There were some other details that escape my memory too.

BF1 I got my moneys worth but it was my least played BF game by hours. Only logged something like 40-50 in it whereas the rest are like 200+. I hope BF V has more depth and longevity than BF1. I just felt like they wanted me to grind the most pointless stuff in that game and I hated the challenge/medal system.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Looking forward to finally playing Sunset Overdrive. I love the Rachet and Clank games and know Insomiac is talented but I was never going to buy an Xbox to play it so that is great news. I don't really mind UWP and will deal with it if it's the only way but a Steam release would be much better for sure. Curious about the launch price since it is an older game now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Cool new steam event starting today and running through this weekend. You earn trophies for playing games from your backlog that meet certain criteria and a bag of other games are F2P for the weekend including Dirt 4 which I've been wanting to check out

https://store.steampowered.com/springcleaning

Curious to know what game shows up for the play your first game on steam trophy for you guys? Orange Box for me.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
Sadly Popular Youtube PC and Video Game reviewer/commentator John Bain known as "Total Biscuit The Cynical Brit" has died at age 33 from cancer.
He received cancer treatment and thought he successfully beat it last year, but his doctor misdiagnosed his condition and it ended up spreading to his spine and beyond.

He retired from social media and covering video game content 3 weeks ago citing he did not have much time left.
https://kotaku.com/game-critic-totalbis ... 1825681492

https://www.resetera.com/threads/john-b ... -op.44722/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut/about
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
What? He never thought he beat it. The cancer was in remission, but he received a terminal diagnosis more than two years ago. His announcement at the begging of the months was that palliative care strategies were no longer working, largely because his kidneys were failing from the stress of the treatments.

Really sad. Way too young. And damn, when he said he didn't have long left I don't think anyone expected three weeks. He said he was feeling better a few days ago too.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Really sad. Way too young. And damn, when he said he didn't have long left I don't think anyone expected three weeks. He said he was feeling better a few days ago too.
Damned shame, really nice guy and did fantastic coverage of PC content. That happened to my mother when she went off the cancer meds, they have all sorts of side effects. She bounced back for a little while before her body finally gave out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
TB was a pillar in the PC gaming community and made a lot of quality informative content. RIP
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
I think it starts at 1PM EST. Not expecting much but if I can grab a couple older games on my wishlist I'll be happy
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
I picked up Prey 2017. Games more nerve racking than I expected, but the micro-gravity segments are neat and the way it incorporates those looking glass panels into secrets and stuff is really cool.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Finished up with Divinity: Original Sin 2. Much better game than the first, 9/10 for sure. Plot and character arcs are more interesting, the combat system is very challenging yet rewarding and the game is surprisingly large. I think I've spent 70-80 hours total on it but that's one run, I could definitely do a few others. The game has a ton of replayability thanks to the difficulty levels and complex character builds. The way you can approach encounters in the game is just so refreshing and open. I ran into numerous seemingly impossible battles that I was able to eventually overcome with positioning, tactics and sometimes outright abuse of game mechanics. I also loved the way you can break entire questlines and the game just keeps on chugging.

Anyways definitely Larians best offering to date and given how successful it was, gives me hope their next one will be a masterpiece. The Definitive Edition is launching August 31, same day as the console releases and will be a free upgrade to existing owners. Good time to get into it for the improved quest log if nothing else.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Redmask wrote: Finished up with Divinity: Original Sin 2. Much better game than the first, 9/10 for sure. Plot and character arcs are more interesting, the combat system is very challenging yet rewarding and the game is surprisingly large. I think I've spent 70-80 hours total on it but that's one run, I could definitely do a few others. The game has a ton of replayability thanks to the difficulty levels and complex character builds. The way you can approach encounters in the game is just so refreshing and open. I ran into numerous seemingly impossible battles that I was able to eventually overcome with positioning, tactics and sometimes outright abuse of game mechanics. I also loved the way you can break entire questlines and the game just keeps on chugging.

Anyways definitely Larians best offering to date and given how successful it was, gives me hope their next one will be a masterpiece. The Definitive Edition is launching August 31, same day as the console releases and will be a free upgrade to existing owners. Good time to get into it for the improved quest log if nothing else.
what do you think of pillars of eternity and pillars of eternity 2?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
I always get Divinity and Pillars of Eternity mixed up. I have both, but can't even remember which parts. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
divx wrote: what do you think of pillars of eternity and pillars of eternity 2?
They're very different games in terms of their combat systems. D:OS 2 is turn based, POE/POE2 are real-time with pause. POE was a pretty middling experience for me but the expansions really fleshed it out. I wasn't that into the characters and world though. POE2 is a huge improvement over the first game and the setting is more interesting. The combat has been polished a lot and if you're looking for something almost like Baldur's Gate then its the closest you will get. You can easily play POE2 without playing the first, it has a quick-start history builder and will give you a breakdown on the first games plot.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Redmask wrote: They're very different games in terms of their combat systems. D:OS 2 is turn based, POE/POE2 are real-time with pause. POE was a pretty middling experience for me but the expansions really fleshed it out. I wasn't that into the characters and world though. POE2 is a huge improvement over the first game and the setting is more interesting. The combat has been polished a lot and if you're looking for something almost like Baldur's Gate then its the closest you will get. You can easily play POE2 without playing the first, it has a quick-start history builder and will give you a breakdown on the first games plot.
ah i don't have divinity, just pillars, will grab divinity at the next sale

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)