[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
Haz wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 11:38 pm
There are no royalties to pay when you make a game on PC so smaller devs aim there first.
still this is from GDC 2017. It's not like it's all small no name PC only devs paying for flights and accommodations to attend this event. I would think you have to be a somewhat established developer to spend the time and money to go to this.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
I think PC is going through a bit of a boom lately. Even Tekken is coming to PC, and MS of all people are doing some good things with their crossplay thing. Not surprised at all, since most games are being made to run on high end rigs before they are specialized for their respective platforms.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17327 posts
1192 upvotes
BYan wrote:
Jan 15th, 2017 11:32 am
I think PC is going through a bit of a boom lately. Even Tekken is coming to PC, and MS of all people are doing some good things with their crossplay thing. Not surprised at all, since most games are being made to run on high end rigs before they are specialized for their respective platforms.
Consoles being x86-based this generation certainly makes it easier.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
865 upvotes
Although optimization for PC ports have been atrocious lately, if not worst then before... which is surprising given how similar console and desktop PC hardware are nowadays.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5694 posts
653 upvotes
Grimsby
Hopefully this whole PS4 Pro, Scorpio vs base consoles nonsense helps with optimization issues.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
What recent games from 2016 had PC specific optimization issues?
Off the top of my head DOOM, ROTTR, Gears of War 4, Blood and Wine, BF1 and Titanfall 2 are all known for excellent optimization. The few I can think of that allegedly have optimization issues perform exactly the same as the consoles, or the console version actually runs worse.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
I think dishonored 2 really left a bad first impression on everyone, but on a whole it's definitely been a upswing. Used to be pc got the worst ports or in a lot of cases no ports at all, and there was that one period when aside from mmos and strategy games it was looking really grim. Then the indie scene took off, and these days more and more titles are making it to the pc.

I was just playing LA noire the other day, and the simple fact that I can revisit these older titles whenever I want, on whatever machine I want really made it clear that getting back into pc gaming was the right choice to make.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 3:56 pm
I think dishonored 2 really left a bad first impression on everyone, but on a whole it's definitely been a upswing.
I understand people had issues with this particular game not performing to expectations on PC, but at the same time this is a game that drops into the high teens-low 20s on consoles so it's just a poorly optimized game across the board. At least it runs a stable 30fps on PC with the option to unlock and brute force better framerates.

Looking at the bigger picture I think optimization and ports are maybe better than they've ever been. Most games run great while the handful that don't are typically rushed lazy releases that run like crap on all platforms but at least we're still getting them.
Apr 12, 2016
91 posts
11 upvotes
Wow, there is alot of stuff here that I don't understand. Whatever happened to the days when you purchased a game on CD. You than put the CD in your PC, installed it and you were good to go?
Oct 14, 2009
434 posts
115 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
dealzrus2 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 11:36 am
Wow, there is alot of stuff here that I don't understand. Whatever happened to the days when you purchased a game on CD. You than put the CD in your PC, installed it and you were good to go?
Good to go is a bit of a stretch. Games often crashed when they checked the disk for copy protection. The first troubleshooting tip for getting most games to work reliably was 'download the no CD crack'. Getting rid of disk-based media for games was a great move.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
dealzrus2 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 11:36 am
optical media is becoming outdated and unnecessary across the entire entertainment industry. Of course there are collectors who still prefer to buy things on disc which is cool, but we're moving past that being the best method of content delivery. Many people are starting to use services like Steam, Spotify, Netflix ect because it's far cheaper, easier and more space efficient that dealing with discs.
For PC gaming specifically it's made buying and storing games a lot cheaper and easier. Since 2012 I've accumulated something like 500 games between Steam, Origin, Uplay and GOG at a fraction of the cost it would be if I owned that all on disc. Imagine the headache of trying to manually manage patches, updates, saves for that many games and the space the cases would take up
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
865 upvotes
Dishonored 2 and XCOM 2 were both known for having extremely poor optimization on release. XCOM 2 is a lot better now, and Dishonored 2 I think has been improved through patches as well. Other games like Deus Ex Mankind Divided had poor optimization as well, along with the re-release of the Bioshock collection which many have noted runs a lot worst on PCs then on consoles. Yes, most of these have been improved via patches but it's still a shoddy practice of releasing problematic games on day one and having to wait a few days or weeks for patches to make it playable. This is one reason why I will never buy a title on release day or even pre-order anymore.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 11:14 am
Dishonored 2 and XCOM 2 were both known for having extremely poor optimization on release. XCOM 2 is a lot better now, and Dishonored 2 I think has been improved through patches as well. Other games like Deus Ex Mankind Divided had poor optimization as well, along with the re-release of the Bioshock collection which many have noted runs a lot worst on PCs then on consoles. Yes, most of these have been improved via patches but it's still a shoddy practice of releasing problematic games on day one and having to wait a few days or weeks for patches to make it playable. This is one reason why I will never buy a title on release day or even pre-order anymore.
D2 and Xcom2 still run like butt on consoles to this day tho so it's not like those games issues were secific to PC. Where did you hear that Bioshock collection runs worse? That's news to me because I played a few hours of Bioshock 1 at launch and it ran flawlessly for me. I remember people complaining about mouse input but I used gamepad so never noticed any issues.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
865 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 12:06 pm
D2 and Xcom2 still run like butt on consoles to this day tho so it's not like those games issues were secific to PC. Where did you hear that Bioshock collection runs worse? That's news to me because I played a few hours of Bioshock 1 at launch and it ran flawlessly for me. I remember people complaining about mouse input but I used gamepad so never noticed any issues.
Mouse issues was one of the problems

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/155720 ... -pc-gamers

From what I've heard, besides long load times, D2 and XCOM 2 run just fine on consoles.

FWIW, XCOM 2 runs quite well on my 1070, nearly maxed settings at 2560x1080p and solid 60 fps (limited due to v-sync). Mankind Divided also ran very smoothly with maxed settings.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 12:41 pm
From what I've heard, besides long load times, D2 and XCOM 2 run just fine on consoles.
Are you considering the completely different context and standards when people say stuff like this? These games don't even run at 1080p, locked to 30fps and still dip into 20s on consoles but no one says anything because that's the expected standard there. PC players complain because they expect native 1080P/60fps at minimum and don't want to play with console levels of detail and performance even though they can
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel