• Aug 10th, 2017 12:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
tbh I can't go back to 30fps anymore. Threw in Wind waker on Dolphin in celebration of the new zelda, and despite everything the modding community has done to take it far, far above what it was on the gamecube (and some would say, the remake on the WiiU), the 30 fps lock was a real buzzkill. I can just imagine how smoothly it would play at 60, but it's a japanese thing that they tie a lot of gameplay on their titles to the 30 fps cap, which is, incidentally, why it's so hard to get a smooth 60 without breaking the game.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5011 posts
1476 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 11:01 am
tbh I can't go back to 30fps anymore. Threw in Wind waker on Dolphin in celebration of the new zelda, and despite everything the modding community has done to take it far, far above what it was on the gamecube (and some would say, the remake on the WiiU), the 30 fps lock was a real buzzkill. I can just imagine how smoothly it would play at 60, but it's a japanese thing that they tie a lot of gameplay on their titles to the 30 fps cap, which is, incidentally, why it's so hard to get a smooth 60 without breaking the game.
I find I can tolerate it in games with simple cartoony art style. Sure 60fps would be better bu I don't find it as immersion breaking and awful for that aesthetic as it is for games shooting for realistic animations, physics, particles, ect. I just played some of WindWaker HD on WiiU recently and was pretty impressed considering it's a 15 year old game at this point. I still have BOTW preordered and I know it's 30fps but I'm hoping it won't bother me too much given it's cartoony style.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
I think it's just that on pc, there's always the mentality that my framerate should be tied to my machine, rather than arbitrary dev limitations. On consoles it's generally more that this-is-the-best-they-could-do, so you can live with it, but just knowing you can shoot higher but be locked out anyway is a sore point. lol. Wind Waker on my wii u was fine (didn't finish it, though), but Wind Waker on my pc just feels like I'm not tuning it right.

BotW, however, will be awesome no matter how you look at it.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5011 posts
1476 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 1:45 am
I didn't realize gta5 had a mod for last of us. This game keeps impressing me hoe versatile it is for the mod community.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=O4ewmBal2rw
Ha that's pretty cool. I haven't really checked out any mods for this game yet. I still occasionally boot it up to mess around in director mode and online and it still blows me away how good this port turned out. I originally played and finished it on a GTX 760 and that was impressive but on a 970 or better with everything cranked running at 60fps it's absolutely incredible
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
1914 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
I just wanted to chime in here for a bit.

I plan to upgrade my antiquated gaming rig to a Ryzen CPU, new mobo, DDR4 RAM, and perhaps either the RX480 graphics card (or wait to see the upcoming Vega graphics cards).
Jul 28, 2010
749 posts
367 upvotes
Vancouver
Recently bought a Displayport cable to replace my dual-link DVI and I'm not seeing much a difference, at least at 144 Hz. Could I be doing something wrong?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2024 posts
190 upvotes
Why would you expect there to be? There's no noteworthy difference between DVI-D and DP for 1080p/144Hz. It's not until you hit 4K that there's any noteworthy difference.
Banned
Feb 8, 2017
54 posts
30 upvotes
My one gripe: MMO world is dying. All the great games are for Korea or China only, and only ported to NA years later. We don't have anything good right now, and it's been the same old MMOs that still dominate the market today. Nothing new for NA.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17456 posts
1214 upvotes
NCT127 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 8:33 am
My one gripe: MMO world is dying. All the great games are for Korea or China only, and only ported to NA years later. We don't have anything good right now, and it's been the same old MMOs that still dominate the market today. Nothing new for NA.
Over the years, my wife went from Ragnarok Online to Aion to Archeage and now back to Aion. She couldn't get into Blade & Soul.

Personally, I don't have the time to invest into an MMO.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5011 posts
1476 upvotes
Toronto
Haz wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 10:07 am
Pretty much why I've never even tried an MMO despite being a PC gamer almost my whole life. I'm sure they're cool but it just seems like way too big a time commitment and I'd rather play games I can start and finish in a reasonable amount of time. I imagine a lot of people who grew up playing games like WoW have jobs, families and other time commitments now which is why the genre seems to be fading out
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4705 posts
597 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 10:27 am
Pretty much why I've never even tried an MMO despite being a PC gamer almost my whole life. I'm sure they're cool but it just seems like way too big a time commitment and I'd rather play games I can start and finish in a reasonable amount of time. I imagine a lot of people who grew up playing games like WoW have jobs, families and other time commitments now which is why the genre seems to be fading out
As someone who played a lot of MMO's when I was in high school/college Im pretty sure the reason the genre is "dead" is because everyone tried to copy what blizzard did with WoW but no one could even come close to matching its quality so everyone just played WoW. Most MMO's just went F2P (which brings its own sets of problems) and then later just shut down and since a lot of companies failed at making a successful MMO developers just stopped making them.

Plus MMO's are one of those games that require a huge time commitment so its not like people would juggle 3 or 4 MMO's, they primarily played one and that was it and in 95% of the cases that was WoW. WoW had 10 million subscribers after the latest expansion, its still doing really well.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5011 posts
1476 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 10:52 am
WoW had 10 million subscribers after the latest expansion, its still doing really well.
I'd be curious to know what the average age of WoW subscriber currently is. I wonder if young people are picking it up now or if it's older dudes who grew up with it and still have the time to play it. I got a cousin around my age who still plays it somewhat regularly but most people I know that were playing it moved on years ago
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5793 posts
699 upvotes
Grimsby
I used to love WoW but they homogenized a lot of the design for its mass market appeal which left me kind of meh on it. It's also an insane timesink even with all of the quality of life stuff. If I play an MMO I pretty much have to ignore every other game out there and that's way too much of a sacrifice.
Banned
Feb 8, 2017
54 posts
30 upvotes
Haz wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 10:07 am
Over the years, my wife went from Ragnarok Online to Aion to Archeage and now back to Aion. She couldn't get into Blade & Soul.

Yes, MMO sucks the life out of you. I bet you don't get to see your wife much when she grinds or does instances or whatever. That's why I quit. JK. I quit cuz the games arent good anymore.