PC Gaming General Discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2017 4:58 pm
Tags:
None
May 9, 2007
777 posts
199 upvotes
I am currently playing through the original The Witcher and holy hell I am LOOOVVING it! Thought I'd start with the first one to see if it was still worth playing and it totally is. I love the different styles of the combat which I know many people had issues with and the Alchemy. The story and characters are really gritty and raw. honestly I can't wait to play the other games in the series since I know they only get better.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5175 posts
1632 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 6:54 pm
I am currently playing through the original The Witcher and holy hell I am LOOOVVING it! Thought I'd start with the first one to see if it was still worth playing and it totally is. I love the different styles of the combat which I know many people had issues with and the Alchemy. The story and characters are really gritty and raw. honestly I can't wait to play the other games in the series since I know they only get better.
Damn I had already done a play through of TW2 on xbox360 before tried to start the series from the beginning on PC leading up to the release of TW3 so TW1 felt way too outdated for me to press through 50 hours of that and I just skipped ahead to doing a second playthrough of TW2 which was significantly better on PC. If you're enjoying the first that much you're going to be floored when you get around to the sequels.
May 9, 2007
777 posts
199 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 7:35 pm
Damn I had already done a play through of TW2 on xbox360 before tried to start the series from the beginning on PC leading up to the release of TW3 so TW1 felt way too outdated for me to press through 50 hours of that and I just skipped ahead to doing a second playthrough of TW2 which was significantly better on PC. If you're enjoying the first that much you're going to be floored when you get around to the sequels.
Hey ReeGee my man! Ya for sure going back and playing TW must feel outdated after having played the sequels. I could only imagine how much better they are and I am salivating in anticipation to play them. 4K boobies lmao! I am playing the enhanced edition if that makes a difference. Second chapter seemed to drag on a bit. Thought I could plow through it in a couple of days like the first chapter but took a quite a bit longer. Lots of sidequests and stuff to loot. For such a realistic game I am surprised that I can just go around taking stuff from people's houses with impunity lol.

I've been contemplating where to play TW2 and TW3. I know the X1 plays TW2 slightly better than xbox360. On the other hand Items and decisions also carry over from game to game which is a reason to keep it on the PC platform. So how was TW2 significantly better on PC? Just graphics or gameplay too? I very rarely play on PC nowadays preferring to play on consoles. The last full playthrough of a game I played on PC was Soma.

Edit: forgot to mention that I had read the first book by Andrzej Sapkowski in preparation. Very cool to see where the into cutscene was inspired from. It was very well done!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5175 posts
1632 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2017 8:02 pm
I've been contemplating where to play TW2 and TW3. I know the X1 plays TW2 slightly better than xbox360. On the other hand Items and decisions also carry over from game to game which is a reason to keep it on the PC platform. So how was TW2 significantly better on PC? Just graphics or gameplay too? I very rarely play on PC nowadays preferring to play on consoles. The last full playthrough of a game I played on PC was Soma.
Keeping your decisions is a good reason but the TW2 and especially TW3 play a lot better on PC. The combat and camera controls feels far more responsive and snappy. The much nicer graphics help with immersion too. It's one of those games that makes owning a good GPU worthwhile.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7096 posts
221 upvotes
Man, when is this GPU prices going to go down?. Jesus. This is getting ridiculous.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5875 posts
743 upvotes
Grimsby
There's an altcoin mining craze going on right now and AMD isn't impressing with early RX Vega leaks. So it could be awhile yet.

I've got a 5 month old 1070 ROG Strix I'm going to put on BST soon though, keep an eye out.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17630 posts
1287 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 3:17 pm
Man, when is this GPU prices going to go down?. Jesus. This is getting ridiculous.
Tell me about it. Wife wanted a 1080 Ti and I kept waiting and waiting. Pulled the trigger on an MSI Seahawk version after getting tired of waiting.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Banned
Jul 26, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
Hello guys, i am new on this platform and i am PC gaming addict, i played a lot of games on PC.
Some favorite games which i played the most on PC are

Counter Strike 1.6
Frozen Throne (Warcraft 3) also known as dota
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7096 posts
221 upvotes
Anyone know the "normal" price of 1060 3gb card before the mining craze?. It seems like this card and the 1050 ti are the only ones that doenst seem overpriced.

Maybe I should just wait?.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
1930 posts
1287 upvotes
Montreal
From ca.pcpartpicker.com, they seem to have hovered around the $250-300, now $300-350. Depends which card you're looking at, of course.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7096 posts
221 upvotes
Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 3gb Graphic Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3gb Graphic Card

Both single fan and free shipping

Good deal?.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5175 posts
1632 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 4:17 pm
Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 3gb Graphic Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3gb Graphic Card

Both single fan and free shipping

Good deal?.
I know GPU prices suck all around right now but I wouldn't pay that much for a 3GB card. You might be disappointed with how it performs as recent games from past 2-3 years frequently use more than 3GB of VRAM. Maybe you can find a second hand 970 or 980 for around the same price. I don't follow hardware prices anymore but if this is just for 1080P gaming, you'll probably get more bang for your buck chasing down a 9 series. The 3GB 1060 performs worse than a 970 while the 6GB is only slightly better.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7096 posts
221 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 5:14 pm
I know GPU prices suck all around right now but I wouldn't pay that much for a 3GB card. You might be disappointed with how it performs as recent games from past 2-3 years frequently use more than 3GB of VRAM. Maybe you can find a second hand 970 or 980 for around the same price. I don't follow hardware prices anymore but if this is just for 1080P gaming, you'll probably get more bang for your buck chasing down a 9 series. The 3GB 1060 performs worse than a 970 while the 6GB is only slightly better.
I hear you. Im not desperate for a card right now so I can wait. I have no problem with this card, I just dont want to overpay. 6 months from now if this mining craze ends and people start unloading their cards, it would suck to see the higher end cards at that price.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7096 posts
221 upvotes
Haz wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 9:13 pm
Looks like miners are now leasing 747s to get video cards directly from the factories...

https://qz.com/1039809/amd-shares-are-s ... -to-mines/
That is insane.

Anyways, im sticking to 1080p. I dont plan to upgrade until I see a huge chunk of gamers are in 4k. According to steam, 1080p is still the majority.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Most people are still using under 3GB of VRAM.

What do you guys think?.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)