Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5158 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 8:23 pm
That is insane.

Anyways, im sticking to 1080p. I dont plan to upgrade until I see a huge chunk of gamers are in 4k. According to steam, 1080p is still the majority.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Most people are still using under 3GB of VRAM.

What do you guys think?.
You can play pretty much everything in 4K already if you have the hardware to run it. I play older titles at 4K on the 970 all the time. I was playing Resident Evil 6 at 4K/60fps the other day but newer games don't run that well obviously in which case I stick with 1080p
The steam survey is counting lots of those people on older hardware playing games like CSGO and DOTA. If it was filtered by hardware of people playing newer releases I think it'd look very different.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5158 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto
Titanfall 2 is out on Origin access now. Downloading now.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7080 posts
221 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 10:48 pm
You can play pretty much everything in 4K already if you have the hardware to run it. I play older titles at 4K on the 970 all the time. I was playing Resident Evil 6 at 4K/60fps the other day but newer games don't run that well obviously in which case I stick with 1080p
The steam survey is counting lots of those people on older hardware playing games like CSGO and DOTA. If it was filtered by hardware of people playing newer releases I think it'd look very different.
Thats the thing. Im looking at this survey because it includes all sort of systems. Not just high end.

The gaming world usually caters to the majority.

From DirectX 10-12. It looks like 1060 is leading the way and the 970 is on the top 4.

970 would be a great purchase but from what I see I would get more from the 1060 right now for 1080p gameplay(50% of steam users).

Of course im only speaking theoretically. If I can get a 970 at a cheaper price, I would grab that quick. Face With Tears Of Joy
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5158 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 11:27 pm
970 would be a great purchase but from what I see I would get more from the 1060 right now for 1080p gameplay(50% of steam users).
my buddy just got the 1060 6GB and it's an amazing card at 1080p. The 3GB will run anything at 1080p as well, the problem is the memory will max out and stutter if you try to use Ultra settings in newer games so you'll constantly have to tweak and figure out what settings it can handle. With the 6GB you can just max out everything and not think about it for the most part
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7080 posts
221 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 12:01 am
my buddy just got the 1060 6GB and it's an amazing card at 1080p. The 3GB will run anything at 1080p as well, the problem is the memory will max out and stutter if you try to use Ultra settings in newer games so you'll constantly have to tweak and figure out what settings it can handle. With the 6GB you can just max out everything and not think about it for the most part
The 6 GB ones are $40-$50 more. I guess its more futureproof. You think its worth it?.

What do you think of Rx 580 4gb?.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17619 posts
1283 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 12:35 am
The 6 GB ones are $40-$50 more. I guess its more futureproof. You think its worth it?.
The GTX 1060 3GB is further crippled with fewer CUDA cores and TMUs versus the 6GB version.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4751 posts
608 upvotes
Yeah skip the gtx 1060 3gb version. I got one for Xmas and ended up taking it back because the performance on a number of games I tried was Incredibly underwhelming. You'll struggle to hit 1080/60 in most games.

My plan was to wait for a deal on the 6gb version to jump back in but prices keep rising thanks to those pesky bitcoin miners.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5864 posts
742 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm selling a 1070 in BST right now if you still need a card Kevin.

I was hoping Vega would push prices down but with its heat/performance issues I'm not sure it's going to move the needle. It might push the 1080s down a bit since they aren't desirable for mining but it's looking like the 1070s are going to stay high for a bit.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7080 posts
221 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 12:27 pm
Yeah skip the gtx 1060 3gb version. I got one for Xmas and ended up taking it back because the performance on a number of games I tried was Incredibly underwhelming. You'll struggle to hit 1080/60 in most games.

My plan was to wait for a deal on the 6gb version to jump back in but prices keep rising thanks to those pesky bitcoin miners.
I guess ill just wait for a better deal with the 6gb version just to get a piece of mind. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

They need to do something with the supply.
Redmask wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 1:00 pm
I'm selling a 1070 in BST right now if you still need a card Kevin.

I was hoping Vega would push prices down but with its heat/performance issues I'm not sure it's going to move the needle. It might push the 1080s down a bit since they aren't desirable for mining but it's looking like the 1070s are going to stay high for a bit.
Great card but a little to overkill for my needs. Im sure you will get rid of that quick.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5864 posts
742 upvotes
Grimsby
No worries man, just figured I'd give you first crack. Hopefully there's some sanity in the mid-range section of the market soon for ya.
May 9, 2007
775 posts
199 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 7:35 pm
Damn I had already done a play through of TW2 on xbox360 before tried to start the series from the beginning on PC leading up to the release of TW3 so TW1 felt way too outdated for me to press through 50 hours of that and I just skipped ahead to doing a second playthrough of TW2 which was significantly better on PC. If you're enjoying the first that much you're going to be floored when you get around to the sequels.
What's up guys! Bryson back at ya with another update on The Witcher. There's never been a better time to get into the series especially with the new The Witcher TV series coming out on netflix!

Finished The Witcher woohoo! Glad I got that out of the way. I can see how it can be difficult to come back to it after playing the sequels. Still a very good game imho. Not gonna lie half way through the game I got jealous of the graphics of the sequels. One of the beauties of playing on the PC is ...mods! So I went ahead and completely overhauled the game and UI with HD textures and SweetFX/Reshade for extra vibrancy and depth. It really went a long way towards helping my immersion in the game. The texture work is top notch. For anyone interested in modding TW I recommend checking out this site:

https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/installi ... er-1-guide

If you find that you still can't get into the game then just watch this synopsis for the main plot points:

I uploaded some images. Let me know what you guys think!

http://imgur.com/a/xg2qw

The Witcher 2 - If the TW feels outdated then TW2 is as gorgeous as any game out today! Running through the forest with it's lush vegetation is just stunning. The game runs 60fps on high even on my potato PC. If you can run it on Ultra even better. I've played through the Prologue and the first chapter on both the Xbox One and PC. When I love a game a lot I like to get all of the achievements but constantly looking at a guide making sure I wasn't missing anything and the downgrade in graphics was really impacting my enjoyment of the game so I went back to playing it on PC!

I am playing with a controller. I have no problem navigating the inventory or anything. Everything is very intuitive. The one slight downside vs KB/M is controlling the camera especially in the game where the objective is to roll behind an enemy to attack from behind. I have one Mod installed and it's a game changer. It's called Quickcast. Basically it maps all of your spells to buttons so you never have to use the Radial menu. For example, Quen is "B", Aard is RT+ "B", Igni is on LT. You feel like a badass swinging your sword around while throwing out spells on the fly.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/ ... w%3D&pUp=1

GAMEPAD PLUS - Insta-Signs for The Witcher 3:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/50/?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5158 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 9:59 am
http://imgur.com/a/xg2qw

The Witcher 2 - If the TW feels outdated then TW2 is as gorgeous as any game out today! Running through the forest with it's lush vegetation is just stunning. The game runs 60fps on high even on my potato PC. If you can run it on Ultra even better.
Damn your modded TW1 screens look a lot better than I remember that game being. Mods really go a long way huh? At some point in the next year or two I want to replay TW3 with mods as the scene appears to have taken off since I finished the vanilla game. If you're that impressed by TW2 I can't wait to see your reaction when you finally get around to TW3 lol.
What kind of PC are you running now? TW3 is definitely a bit more on the demanding. That was the game that made me upgrade to a 970 sooner than I intended but being able to play that at 60fps with near max settings was soooo worth it. Absolutely gorgeous game
May 9, 2007
775 posts
199 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:28 am
Damn your modded TW1 screens look a lot better than I remember that game being. Mods really go a long way huh? At some point in the next year or two I want to replay TW3 with mods as the scene appears to have taken off since I finished the vanilla game. If you're that impressed by TW2 I can't wait to see your reaction when you finally get around to TW3 lol.
What kind of PC are you running now? TW3 is definitely a bit more on the demanding. That was the game that made me upgrade to a 970 sooner than I intended but being able to play that at 60fps with near max settings was soooo worth it. Absolutely gorgeous game
Indeed mods make a huge difference in TW1. You can even mod the UI to make it look like TW3. I didn't do that however since I want TW3 to feel fresh once I get around to it.

I've taken a look at all the mods for TW3 and there are some really cool ones. I plan to play the game without mods for my first playthrough since I enjoy to play the game as close as possible to the vision of the developers.

My PC is currently still rocking an intel Q6600@3Ghz and an AMD 7850 OC'd to 1050Mhz. I'm scared that TW3 is going to make me want to finally upgrade my PC lol. So far It plays everything though. I can play Doom, Prey and even the new Hellblade. I hear that TW3 is crazy optimized on PC as well so there is hope. Worst case scenario I may end up getting it for PS4 or Xbox since the visual difference is minimal between PC and console? Seems that way since they downgraded from what they originally showed at E3. Also worst case scenario even medium settings on PC should be equivalent to that of modern day consoles. Guess I'll cross that bridge once I get there.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10039 posts
625 upvotes
Mississauga
Anyone playing the Friday the 13th game? I admit it has some bugs, glitches, gameplay issues and it isn't the prettiest looking game, but it can be really fun to play with the right group, especially when people are role-playing as their characters. They nailed the early 80s slasher movie atmosphere really well.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5158 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto
Microsoft admits game stuttering issues caused by the Windows 10 Creator’s Update

Any of you hear about this or experience it first hand? I haven't really noticed anything but I've always been about 6 months to a year behind on new releases. I did play Titanfall 2 and BF1 lately and did notice some occasional hiccups but nothing crazy and both were smooth 99% of the time