Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18053 posts
1432 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 10:15 am
damn that's probably going to upset some AMD users but based on the little I read about it, it sounds like situations where performance would be hit is limited to certain applications, apparently around stuff like virtualization and that gaming shouldn't be effected by it.
Not like people game on Linux anyways. :razz:

Hopefully MS will not paint AMD with the same brush on Windows.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
Figured it'd be better to move CEMU stuff to this thread rather than the console gaming thread even if it is about console games. The latest version of CEMU the WiiU emulator runs BOTW insanely well now at 60fps+ if you have the hardware for it. Check out some of the comparison footage below. It looks and plays gorgeous at a high framerate. If you check out this guys channel he has got tons of recent video guides to easily get it setup and playing at a high framerate

I managed to get it setup last night using the video guide linked below and while it does look incredible and is playable, performance is kind of all over the place for me and not nearly as consistent as in the videos below. I maybe need to find the right settings that work for my build or just wait for further updates. I basically just copied the settings suggested in the video guide but that guy has a way better build than most people so perhaps using those settings on lesser hardware isn't ideal

Video setup guide here

Aug 20, 2009
6489 posts
1130 upvotes
Grimsby
I read up more on the CPU thing, it seems like its going to hit virtualization the hardest and have a negligible effect on everything else. This kind of sucks for me, I just redid my whole setup to be one giant server with GPU passthru but oh well, I overbuilt on specs anyway.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3514 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
What's the benefit to this setup?

Or just hate using Windows?
Aug 20, 2009
6489 posts
1130 upvotes
Grimsby
Nope, I just do a lot of homelab type stuff and wanted an ESXi server to fart around with. I have a Windows 10 VM that runs my gaming stuff with GPU passthru, an Ubuntu VM for my dev/programming work and an UnRAID VM for my NAS. I just like to tinker :)

We live in pretty crazy times in terms of personal computing, I'm able to do all of that on a single machine and none of them really affect each other negatively.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
Well I updated and have played some more AC:O and don't really notice any difference in that game which is ridiculously CPU heavy. I saw some benchmarks showing a 5-10% performance decrease across various games but it hasn't been noticeable for me at this point

Also I've given up on Cemu and BOTW and gone back to WiiU for now. I sorted out the performance issues and it's freaking glorious when it's working properly, but there are still a ton of glitches and issues that drag down the overall experience. I'll finish it on WiiU and when/if CEMU is perfected that'll be a reason to replay it in a year or two.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1079 posts
273 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 3:02 pm
Well I updated and have played some more AC:O and don't really notice any difference in that game which is ridiculously CPU heavy. I saw some benchmarks showing a 5-10% performance decrease across various games but it hasn't been noticeable for me at this point

Also I've given up on Cemu and BOTW and gone back to WiiU for now. I sorted out the performance issues and it's freaking glorious when it's working properly, but there are still a ton of glitches and issues that drag down the overall experience. I'll finish it on WiiU and when/if CEMU is perfected that'll be a reason to replay it in a year or two.
Sorry to hear about your experience with BOTW and Cemu. The video you posted looked amazing! Still Cemu has come along way. I remember when this emu couldn't even play a single game not that long ago relatively speaking. Emulators like PCSX2, Dolphin and now Cemu are another great reason to upgrade a PC as they open up a whole new world of gaming that run and look better than their original release.

I really should go back and finish BOTW. I only have the last boss to kill but I feel like BOTW's openworld was it's downfall as you never felt an urgency to kill the last boss. The openworld itself was the main experience of the game.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 2:06 pm
Sorry to hear about your experience with BOTW and Cemu. The video you posted looked amazing! Still Cemu has come along way. I remember when this emu couldn't even play a single game not that long ago relatively speaking. Emulators like PCSX2, Dolphin and now Cemu are another great reason to upgrade a PC as they open up a whole new world of gaming that run and look better than their original release.

I really should go back and finish BOTW. I only have the last boss to kill but I feel like BOTW's openworld was it's downfall as you never felt an urgency to kill the last boss. The openworld itself was the main experience of the game.
CEMU is still very new so it's still amazing it works as well as it does, it's just not perfect yet. A bit more time to sort out some issue and it'll be a great way to experience a few WiiU games again. Playing Xenoblade X at 1080p/60fps would be awesome as I doubt the Switch can run it much better than the WiiU did if they even re-release that games

I actually beat the second Divine Beast in BOTW tonight and it was pretty cool. I'd keep playing and finish the rest of the game if I wasn't so addicted to AC:O right now
Aug 20, 2009
6489 posts
1130 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm coming around on the Steam Controller. I hardwired my house last year with Cat 6 and did drops to each room so I've got a gigabit internal network which makes for a fantastic Steam Link experience. Pretty much near native performance in every game I've tried and latency is fine. The past few weeks I've been farting around with the Legend of Heroes games, the PC ports are fairly well done but the input mapping is a bit wonky. The ability to customize the Steam controller has been fantastic and the community profiles for most games are very well fleshed out too. I think my only real beef is the small face buttons. I didn't like them the first time and I still don't.

Incidentally I wonder if the Link or Controller are getting discontinued. They were on fire sale and now EBGames has been out of stock for awhile now with no ETA on new units. Valve has been really weird with its hardware efforts. Steam Machines partnerships are all dead. I really hope they stick it out Big Picture and the Link/Controller.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 3:57 pm
I'm coming around on the Steam Controller. I hardwired my house last year with Cat 6 and did drops to each room so I've got a gigabit internal network which makes for a fantastic Steam Link experience. Pretty much near native performance in every game I've tried and latency is fine. The past few weeks I've been farting around with the Legend of Heroes games, the PC ports are fairly well done but the input mapping is a bit wonky. The ability to customize the Steam controller has been fantastic and the community profiles for most games are very well fleshed out too. I think my only real beef is the small face buttons. I didn't like them the first time and I still don't.

Incidentally I wonder if the Link or Controller are getting discontinued. They were on fire sale and now EBGames has been out of stock for awhile now with no ETA on new units. Valve has been really weird with its hardware efforts. Steam Machines partnerships are all dead. I really hope they stick it out Big Picture and the Link/Controller.
Gah I missed out on the $5 clearance of Steam Links. I wouldn't have used it much but that was a crazy deal either way and would've been worth having around at that price.
I somewhat avoid the community profiles for Steam Controller and prefer to just make them myself as it's easy for the types of games I play, but the one time I used one was for Star Wars Republic Commando which had no native controller support at all and it was amazing. Whoever made that config programmed a little weapon select/squad command GUI that would pop up when you touched the left track pad which I had no idea you could even do before that. It was so dope and snappy playing that game with the steam controller.
I really hope Valve doesn't give up on this controller because as much as I love it, there is some room for improvement such as adding better rumble, softer shoulder triggers, and making the face buttons a little bigger and spread out as you mentioned. None of these things really bother me though and it's easily my most used pad.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1563 posts
120 upvotes
I have all my parts except for ram and a GPU. It really sucks waiting for these prices to drop...I really see this happening for awhile :(
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2127 posts
225 upvotes
It's been constant for like the last five years that some component or another is in short supply due to demand, shortages, flooding, whatever. Started with Hard Drives in like 2011 and it's basically been non-stop since. I want to refresh my build (processor, mobo, memory), but memory prices are stupid right now.
Aug 20, 2009
6489 posts
1130 upvotes
Grimsby
I got 32GB of memory for like $175 on sale a few years back. I was doing a similar config for my new ESXi build and the memory alone was $400, just crazy.

I just shucked five 8TB Easystores, they were $190 CDN equivalent in the US. Similar drive here is $372 after taxes. It's just been a continual hosing on electronic prices for the past 5 years, you're right man. Hell I sold a used GeForce 1070 at a profit, makes zero sense.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1079 posts
273 upvotes
Ascott wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 12:58 pm
It's been constant for like the last five years that some component or another is in short supply due to demand, shortages, flooding, whatever. Started with Hard Drives in like 2011 and it's basically been non-stop since. I want to refresh my build (processor, mobo, memory), but memory prices are stupid right now.
And people wonder why some prefer to stick to console gaming. You can't even buy a graphics card for the price of a console.

I'm honestly shocked that my 10 year old overclocked Q6600 and AMD 7850 can still play most modern games as long as they are well optimized. Games like Doom and Prey run like butter. I think I would be ok with an upgrade to my mobo, cpu and ram.