[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 10:53 am
And people wonder why some prefer to stick to console gaming. You can't even buy a graphics card for the price of a console.

I'm honestly shocked that my 10 year old overclocked Q6600 and AMD 7850 can still play most modern games as long as they are well optimized. Games like Doom and Prey run like butter. I think I would be ok with an upgrade to my mobo, cpu and ram.
I mean you basically just highlighted why PC is still a wise investment for gaming despite the higher hardware costs. My PC from 2012 cost a bit more than a new PS4 or X1 did back in 2013, but 6 years later my games still look and run exponentially better than either console (even the new $500-600 Pro/X models) and I only ever spent like $200 on GPU upgrades over those 6 years which was easily subsidized by free online play and generally cheaper games.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting write up and discussion about the out of control hardware prices due to cryptocurrency mining
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comme ... ming_than/

Didn't realize how bad this got as I haven't followed hardware prices in a few years now. Doesn't really bother me at this point as my 6 year old rig is still doing great with new games and I see no need to upgrade anytime soon but definitely sucks for anyone looking to get started from scratch now
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1117 posts
300 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 11:05 am
I mean you basically just highlighted why PC is still a wise investment for gaming despite the higher hardware costs. My PC from 2012 cost a bit more than a new PS4 or X1 did back in 2013, but 6 years later my games still look and run exponentially better than either console (even the new $500-600 Pro/X models) and I only ever spent like $200 on GPU upgrades over those 6 years which was easily subsidized by free online play and generally cheaper games.
Well there are cases to be made for both sides. Honestly if you could afford a high end PC then there is no point in playing on console. Another reason for investing in a PC is that PC does more than just play games. You can always live without a console but you can't live without a PC. I used to upgrade my PC every year. It was fun albeit expensive for awhile. It's like the adult version of playing with legos. Put this piece here, put that piece there lol.

The cons are, that although most of us are tech savvy there are times when you have to deal with things that console users don't like driver issues and what not. Plus a lot of times PC games are buggy console ports. A lot of games are just a mess on PC. Nier Automata still needs a PC patch almost a full year after release but Square Enix seems to have abandoned the PC port. Batman Arkham Knight on PC was a disaster and the latest Assassin's Creed Origins has to deal with double DRMs.

Then there is the case that TVs are just of better quality compared to monitors. TVs have better contrast and HDR, Monitors have higher refresh rates and FreeSync/G-Sync. Although monitors do have an edge on DPI and since you sit closer, you can see and appreciate the finer details better.
Aug 20, 2009
6798 posts
1510 upvotes
Grimsby
Bryson wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 11:26 am
Well there are cases to be made for both sides. Honestly if you could afford a high end PC then there is no point in playing on console.
I don't know, I own a really high end gaming PC but still spend plenty of time on my consoles too. If nothing else they have exclusives and sometimes I just feel like curling up on the couch to game instead of sitting in my chair. Its a mood thing. But yeah I spend a lot on gaming and many folk do not so I get it.
Then there is the case that TVs are just of better quality compared to monitors. TVs have better contrast and HDR, Monitors have higher refresh rates and FreeSync/G-Sync. Although monitors do have an edge on DPI and since you sit closer, you can see and appreciate the finer details better.
HDR monitors are finally hitting the marketplace thankfully. I'm really interested in seeing how these Nvidia BFG displays do.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 11:26 am
Well there are cases to be made for both sides. Honestly if you could afford a high end PC then there is no point in playing on console. Another reason for investing in a PC is that PC does more than just play games. You can always live without a console but you can't live without a PC. I used to upgrade my PC every year. It was fun albeit expensive for awhile. It's like the adult version of playing with legos. Put this piece here, put that piece there lol.

The cons are, that although most of us are tech savvy there are times when you have to deal with things that console users don't like driver issues and what not. Plus a lot of times PC games are buggy console ports. A lot of games are just a mess on PC. Nier Automata still needs a PC patch almost a full year after release but Square Enix seems to have abandoned the PC port. Batman Arkham Knight on PC was a disaster and the latest Assassin's Creed Origins has to deal with double DRMs.

There is a still point of playing on console even when you have a high end pc and that's for the exclusives which is all I buy them for. If those didn't exist then

The port thing is an exaggeration as the majority of PC games launch without issues in a state of far higher quality not obtainable on consoles. For every 1 bad port, there are dozens of outstanding games setting a very high standard of quality which is why games that don't meet that standard get sensationalized by players and the media. Games like Batman Arkham knight are rare exceptions and even then it is a far higher quality experience than playing on console, especially after it was patched.
Redmask wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 11:31 am
HDR monitors are finally hitting the marketplace thankfully. I'm really interested in seeing how these Nvidia BFG displays do.
I've been shopping around for a 65" 4K HDR set to use with PC an consoles but I'm holding off now to see how much those cost or at least see what effect if any they have on current sets.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2197 posts
267 upvotes
I've always said that being into PC gaming is a lot like being into Hot Rods - building and maintaining is part of the hobby for a lot of people, not a unavoidable nuisance. The parts market is ass right now though. Cryptocurrency and whatever the hell is going on with memory can **** right off.
Aug 20, 2009
6798 posts
1510 upvotes
Grimsby
I just had a look online and my GeForce 1080ti is worth $290 more than when I bought it. PC hardware has gone crazy. I was at a CanadaComputers store last night and one of the customers lined up wanted to buy 5 RX580s, I wonder what for. AMD has to be loving this stuff after such a lackluster showing with their latest GPUs.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5066 posts
744 upvotes
calgary
Redmask wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 7:43 am
I just had a look online and my GeForce 1080ti is worth $290 more than when I bought it. PC hardware has gone crazy. I was at a CanadaComputers store last night and one of the customers lined up wanted to buy 5 RX580s, I wonder what for. AMD has to be loving this stuff after such a lackluster showing with their latest GPUs.

On the flip side, if you can hold out, when this bubble pops their is going to be a ton of really nice GPU's hitting the second hand market for real cheap.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 10:02 am
On the flip side, if you can hold out, when this bubble pops their is going to be a ton of really nice GPU's hitting the second hand market for real cheap.
How likely is that to happen and when? That's an interesting point I never thought about but I have no idea about mining or its long term viability
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5066 posts
744 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 10:42 am
How likely is that to happen and when? That's an interesting point I never thought about but I have no idea about mining or its long term viability
I'm not expert on cryptocurrencies but to me it looks like the bubble has already burst. Bitcoin has lost half its value since the start of the year, there is talks it may be banned in certain countries. Anyone jumping in now totally missed the boat and I think in probably 6 months we'll start seeing used cards flood the market.

I sort of figured when I saw people who jumped around as a "product distributor" for various multi level marketing firms like It Work!s and Sensi were now pumping up and selling bitcoin that we had hit a point of saturation and people were in way over there heads.

The whole thing is incredible sketchy, it has no clear fundamental value and is largely unregulated. Everyone involved is just looking for a quick buck.
But then again people have been saying similar stuff for years and its only got bigger and bigger.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 11:00 am
I sort of figured when I saw people who jumped around as a "product distributor" for various multi level marketing firms like It Work!s and Sensi were now pumping up and selling bitcoin that we had hit a point of saturation and people were in way over there heads.

The whole thing is incredible sketchy, it has no clear fundamental value and is largely unregulated. Everyone involved is just looking for a quick buck.
LOL way too real and I know way too many people like that. I'm aware that things are cooling down, but I just have no idea what it means in terms of the popularity of mining and all that hardware getting swallowed up in the craze. If it goes back to a point where it's not worth it for the average joe and gaming hardware goes back to being for games then good I'm glad.
Aug 20, 2009
6798 posts
1510 upvotes
Grimsby
I wonder how it will affect the launch of the 1100 series eventually. Personally I would not buy a card used by a miner due to the heavy loads they run pretty much 24/7. I know NV tests their cards for those scenarios but I still have no confidence after a third party beats the crap out of it for months on end.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
I might be willing to give one a chance if it was dirt cheap discounted but I guess there's no way to tell and they'll be priced the same as second hand cards that were under normal day to day use
Aug 20, 2009
6798 posts
1510 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah I don't know. A friend of mine got really into that nonsense. He was undervolting, OCing, replacing his vBIOS and doing all sorts of other crap to boost his ethereum/bitcoin/whatever hash rates. Maybe if the price was really cheap. I'm good for awhile anyway, I'm skipping next gen and sticking with the 1080ti, its a beast.