Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1801 posts
607 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 10:42 am
How likely is that to happen and when? That's an interesting point I never thought about but I have no idea about mining or its long term viability
I waited 6+ months for that to happen and it never did. Ended up biting the bullet and picking up a 1080 on a Canada Computer’s Black Friday sale (still cost like $730+ before taxes I believe).
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3369 posts
172 upvotes
Adelaide
Redmask wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 12:49 pm
I wonder how it will affect the launch of the 1100 series eventually. Personally I would not buy a card used by a miner due to the heavy loads they run pretty much 24/7. I know NV tests their cards for those scenarios but I still have no confidence after a third party beats the crap out of it for months on end.
Yeah, it ruins buying used cards as well because there isn't really a way to know for sure if the card was used for mining 24/7 or not. I wonder what the failure rate/lifetime of cards being used for mining is compared to just regular/gaming use
Aug 20, 2009
6798 posts
1510 upvotes
Grimsby
Cleaning up Divinity Original Sin 2, super super impressed with the entire experience. Very careful thought went into the encounter design and you can break the game in amazing ways. I was having all sorts of problems with a particular fight and ended up trying something crazy out of desperation, teleported the enemy mid-speech to my fighters and massacred him. You can do some hilarious stuff in this thing. Graphically its beautiful and a lot of care went into the world design too. It's weird that the game feels like it has a ton of content but no filler. The writing is a massive improvement over the first game in just about every respect, I suspect due to Chris Avellone being involved.

Anyways if you want a great RPG, definitely check it out on Steam.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 9:21 am
Definitely grabbing this at some point but also feel like I need a break from super long RPG style games. How long did it take to finish roughly? Is the story split up with conclusive chapters that make it easy to put down for a while come back and not be lost?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1117 posts
300 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 9:21 am
Cleaning up Divinity Original Sin 2, super super impressed with the entire experience. Very careful thought went into the encounter design and you can break the game in amazing ways. I was having all sorts of problems with a particular fight and ended up trying something crazy out of desperation, teleported the enemy mid-speech to my fighters and massacred him. You can do some hilarious stuff in this thing. Graphically its beautiful and a lot of care went into the world design too. It's weird that the game feels like it has a ton of content but no filler. The writing is a massive improvement over the first game in just about every respect, I suspect due to Chris Avellone being involved.

I just picked up Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition on sale for the Xbox. I've heard it compared to the best RPG experience since The Witcher 3. I was on the fence but Microsoft's no hassle return policy made it an easy buy. I'm still debating returning it and playing it on the PC instead. The platinum is a 10/10 difficulty because of having to play on Honour Difficulty and the number of one hit kills that can wipe your party. Plus this type of game seems better suited for mouse and keyboard.
Aug 20, 2009
6798 posts
1510 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 10:30 am
Definitely grabbing this at some point but also feel like I need a break from super long RPG style games. How long did it take to finish roughly? Is the story split up with conclusive chapters that make it easy to put down for a while come back and not be lost?
The game is divided up into Acts but I wouldn't recommend putting it down long unless you're right at the beginning of a new act, it doesn't exactly hold your hand with quests and sidequest tracking. If you take a break and come back you could be pretty lost on a lot of that stuff.

It took me about 70 hours to finish though I've heard of people doing it in as little as 40 hours. I am definitely going to replay it sometime too, fantastic game.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4012 posts
1026 upvotes
Toronto
What's on the list of March?

A Way Out
Far Cry 5
Sea of Thieves

Anything else?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3369 posts
172 upvotes
Adelaide
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 5:12 pm
What's on the list of March?

A Way Out
Far Cry 5
Sea of Thieves

Anything else?
I am getting Warhammer Vermintide 2. Basically a first person action rpg. First one was quite enjoyable and imagine i'll get quite a few hours of entertainment out of this one as well.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
Would be awesome if Far Cry 5 ends up being a big franchise refresh similar to what Origins did for AC but not sure it's possible with that FPS formula. At the very least I imagine the tech will be impressive as AC:O is hands down the most technically jawdropping game I've played to date.

Playing SOMA lately and that game is very very cool
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4012 posts
1026 upvotes
Toronto
So is buying a Titan XP or 1080Ti at reasonable prices right now a crapshoot?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1801 posts
607 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 2:13 pm
So is buying a Titan XP or 1080Ti at reasonable prices right now a crapshoot?
Yeah...no chance right now unless you want to spend $1300+ (which is crazy).

I bought an EVGA FTW2 1080 for around 739 in November and even that has gone up about 3-400 since then. Things are getting nuttier by the day.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10676 posts
1014 upvotes
Mississauga
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 31st, 2018 10:30 am
Yeah, I'm currently playing Dragon Age: Inquisition and can tell this is going to take a long time to finish. My Steam wishlist has Divinity OS 2, Tyranny, Tides of Numenera, and Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2. I heard they're all really good, but they all look pretty long too. I guess you get a lot of bang for your buck in these types of games.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 10:55 am
Yeah, I'm currently playing Dragon Age: Inquisition and can tell this is going to take a long time to finish. My Steam wishlist has Divinity OS 2, Tyranny, Tides of Numenera, and Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2. I heard they're all really good, but they all look pretty long too. I guess you get a lot of bang for your buck in these types of games.
DA:I was cool at the time but I could never play a game like that again now. I'm sure you've noticed it's absolutely jam packed with boring filler side quests. Stick to the main quests, only do as many side quests as you need to stay leveled and the game shouldn't last more than 30-40 hours. It does have some incredible visuals going for it though.
Aug 20, 2009
6798 posts
1510 upvotes
Grimsby
Do yourself a favor with DA:I and don't go completionist on it, you will burn out quickly. The game is filled with MMO style grindathons. It's a fun game overall but the repetition can murder it fast for some people. If you do everything in a zone you will vastly outlevel the content and remove a lot of the difficulty too, unless you play on Nightmare.