• Jul 11th, 2018 12:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28484 posts
2028 upvotes
Winnipeg
It is really hard to do side quests these days when there are so many good games flooding various sales.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 12:32 pm
It is really hard to do side quests these days when there are so many good games flooding various sales.
Depends on the quality of them. For example I thoroughly enjoyed every last quest in TW3 and its expansions and even after "finishing" AC:Origins, I'm still booting it up and playing a side quest or two every few days.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1079 posts
273 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 12:38 pm
Depends on the quality of them. For example I thoroughly enjoyed every last quest in TW3 and its expansions and even after "finishing" AC:Origins, I'm still booting it up and playing a side quest or two every few days.
Agreed. AC: Origins is a fun game to just jump in and do a couple of side missions even after you finish the game because the world is so damn gorgeous. Still tempted to pick up the expansions some time down the road.

Speaking of the Witcher, I'm all in on the The Witcher Series right now. Playing through TW2 enhanced on the Xbox 1X for the achievements and planning to play through both sides of the story! For the non stupid people like me who don't care about achievements I highly recommend playing the game on the PC. It still looks amazing by todays standards and even my old rig plays it smoothly. Even though the game looks great on the X1X, it's still based on the 360 version with all it's faults and still not as good looking as the PC version. Also PC version is more updated. Also due to the limited amount of memory on the 360, the towns were sectioned off with wooden doors which represent loading screens. The PC version is more open world and does not have these barriers or loading screens which really adds to the immersion factor.

Will be playing TW3 right after. It's currently on sale on PSN so hoping it's on sale for Xbox this week. Tried playing it on my old rig and it didn't do too well. Really looking forward to playing it on my X1X !!
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10515 posts
919 upvotes
Mississauga
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 11:46 am
DA:I was cool at the time but I could never play a game like that again now. I'm sure you've noticed it's absolutely jam packed with boring filler side quests. Stick to the main quests, only do as many side quests as you need to stay leveled and the game shouldn't last more than 30-40 hours. It does have some incredible visuals going for it though.
Yeah, I hear you. Sometimes I just like exploring the map and before you know it, I'm picking plants and hunting wild animals for their pelts and where did the time go? I also have trouble slowing myself down by constantly upgrading my weapons and armor.
Redmask wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 12:21 pm
Do yourself a favor with DA:I and don't go completionist on it, you will burn out quickly. The game is filled with MMO style grindathons. It's a fun game overall but the repetition can murder it fast for some people. If you do everything in a zone you will vastly outlevel the content and remove a lot of the difficulty too, unless you play on Nightmare.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
Started a NG+ play through of The Witcher 3 with this recently released HD rework update. Pretty amazing difference overall especially noticeable in backgrounds during dialog scenes. Threw in a few other QOL mods as well (fast travel anywhere, show all quests, no weapon damage). Modding this game is super easy and makes playing again a pleasure. It's pretty amazing coming back to it years after playing stuff like AC:O and HZD, makes me appreciate how ahead of its time it really is

Aug 20, 2009
6489 posts
1130 upvotes
Grimsby
I just started Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. I'm only like 6 hours in but already it feels like they reworked all of the annoyances from the prior game. Combat is much better and deeper, most of the spells are now per encounter instead of per rest and the story picks up very quickly. They have a nice summary at the beginning for people just jumping in too. I was really mixed on the first game after finishing it but this one is almost as good as D:OS2 so far.

Anyways nice to see all of these CRPGs doing well.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
May 10th, 2018 12:14 pm
I was really mixed on the first game after finishing it but this one is almost as good as D:OS2 so far.
I was going to ask, I've heard both of these games are good but which would you recommend playing first between the two? I've had D:OS2 on my list for when I feel up for digging into a new RPG for a while now. Mostly waiting for it to go on sale with a bigger discount. I'm only dabbling with TW3 for now playing a quest here and there for a quick fix in the meanwhile
Aug 20, 2009
6489 posts
1130 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
May 10th, 2018 12:44 pm
I was going to ask, I've heard both of these games are good but which would you recommend playing first between the two? I've had D:OS2 on my list for when I feel up for digging into a new RPG for a while now. Mostly waiting for it to go on sale with a bigger discount. I'm only dabbling with TW3 for now playing a quest here and there for a quick fix in the meanwhile
D:OS 2 is the better game in my opinion. Kind of stumbles in the last few areas but the rest of the game is so good you won't care. Combat is bonkers and fun as hell. Quests and dialogue were excellent too, some really hilarious unintended consequences for your decisions but I strongly encourage people not to savescum too much.

POE1 I wouldn't bother with, POE2 is just so much better in every way.
Aug 20, 2009
6489 posts
1130 upvotes
Grimsby
Sunset Overdrive got a PC rating/classification apparently so it looks we'll finally get a PC version of that. Might mean a sequel is going to be announced at E3 too. I hope it isn't a Microsoft store exclusive, I've never had a good experience with UWP games.

Battlefield V launch trailer was bonkers and made zero sense. WW2 British soldier with a katana on his back. Couldn't make heads or tails of the action. Really poor trailer overall, they needed something more subdued. It almost felt like an announcement for Bad Company 3 or something.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1898 posts
488 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
May 24th, 2018 9:18 am
Sunset Overdrive got a PC rating/classification apparently so it looks we'll finally get a PC version of that. Might mean a sequel is going to be announced at E3 too. I hope it isn't a Microsoft store exclusive, I've never had a good experience with UWP games.

Battlefield V launch trailer was bonkers and made zero sense. WW2 British soldier with a katana on his back. Couldn't make heads or tails of the action. Really poor trailer overall, they needed something more subdued. It almost felt like an announcement for Bad Company 3 or something.
I have no doubt that EA will find a way to screw this up.
Aug 20, 2009
6489 posts
1130 upvotes
Grimsby
unshavenyak wrote:
May 24th, 2018 9:20 am
I have no doubt that EA will find a way to screw this up.
Well the good news is that the Premium Pass nonsense is gone. I always hated how that split the community and left a lot of servers without players. On the other hand they didn't say anything how the game will be monetized. Hopefully its just cosmetics.

Apparently health regen is in thresholds and not back to full health which is good. You can actually run out of ammo between spawns, hopefully giving Support Classes a reason to exist again and perhaps making people pick and choose their shots more carefully. Deformation/Levolution are apparently back. There were some other details that escape my memory too.

BF1 I got my moneys worth but it was my least played BF game by hours. Only logged something like 40-50 in it whereas the rest are like 200+. I hope BF V has more depth and longevity than BF1. I just felt like they wanted me to grind the most pointless stuff in that game and I hated the challenge/medal system.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
Looking forward to finally playing Sunset Overdrive. I love the Rachet and Clank games and know Insomiac is talented but I was never going to buy an Xbox to play it so that is great news. I don't really mind UWP and will deal with it if it's the only way but a Steam release would be much better for sure. Curious about the launch price since it is an older game now.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
Cool new steam event starting today and running through this weekend. You earn trophies for playing games from your backlog that meet certain criteria and a bag of other games are F2P for the weekend including Dirt 4 which I've been wanting to check out

https://store.steampowered.com/springcleaning

Curious to know what game shows up for the play your first game on steam trophy for you guys? Orange Box for me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6490 posts
1537 upvotes
Sadly Popular Youtube PC and Video Game reviewer/commentator John Bain known as "Total Biscuit The Cynical Brit" has died at age 33 from cancer.
He received cancer treatment and thought he successfully beat it last year, but his doctor misdiagnosed his condition and it ended up spreading to his spine and beyond.

He retired from social media and covering video game content 3 weeks ago citing he did not have much time left.
https://kotaku.com/game-critic-totalbis ... 1825681492

https://www.resetera.com/threads/john-b ... -op.44722/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut/about
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2127 posts
225 upvotes
What? He never thought he beat it. The cancer was in remission, but he received a terminal diagnosis more than two years ago. His announcement at the begging of the months was that palliative care strategies were no longer working, largely because his kidneys were failing from the stress of the treatments.

Really sad. Way too young. And damn, when he said he didn't have long left I don't think anyone expected three weeks. He said he was feeling better a few days ago too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)