• Nov 16th, 2018 7:47 pm
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
14 posts
30 upvotes

PC Insiders Paid Membership - $99 per year / $9.99 per month

Hi everyone,

First post here so please go easy..
It looks like Loblaw co. is launching a pilot paid loyalty membership option of $9.99 per month or $99 per year that offers the following:

During the pilot program, anyone who signs up will get the following perks any time they use their PC MasterCard:
  • 20% back in PC points on all brands of baby diapers and formula
  • 20% back in PC points on all PC Organics products in-store and online.
  • 20% back in PC points on all Joe Fresh products in-store and online.
  • 20 times the PC points every day when customers shop online at beautyBOUTIQUE.ca.
  • Free Click & Collect pick-up service.
  • Free shipping on all beautyBOUTIQUE.ca and joefresh.com purchases.
  • $99 PC travel credit annually for use on pctravel.ca (annual subscriptions only).
  • Two surprise boxes delivered annually

Currently targeted to "select President's Choice Financial® Mastercard® customers".

Official site: https://www.pcinsiders.ca/

Edit: Adding official link, appearance of list.
Last edited by Josh765 on Nov 20th, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
476 replies
Dec 28, 2008
99 posts
116 upvotes
I'm a huge fan of the PC Plus program but not a single "benefit" here is appealing to me...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6123 posts
3654 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Seems to be specifically targeted at PC Financial MasterCard holders... (not just anyone with a MC)

And would partially explain WHY Loblaws Group negotiated in their separation from CIBC to withhold the rights to the PC Financial MasterCard vs having it fold in under the Simplii Banking umbrella

I do not have a PC Financial MasterCard... don’t need any more CCs

But I do see this as a positive feature for those that do in association with the newly announced PC Optimum Program (merger of PC Plus & SDM Optimum) that will be effective February 1st

I also see these benefits attractive to the SDM Customers who may have previously had a RBC Shoppers CC (relationship now also dissolved)

The big question here though is... is it worth $ 9.99 a month to join into this PC Insiders Group Feature along with holding the CC ?

Perhaps so if one has a young family (baby essentials ... and clothes / children’s clothes @ Loblaws Group) and is at a point in life mega stressed for quality time / personal time (click & collect ... and self care / beauty products ... and vacation time)

For everyone else... maybe not so much

Anxious to read what other RFDers post here... and if they also currently hold PC MasterCards

Will be curious to see if those particular categories cross over onto the SDM front as well (ie Diapers, Formula, etc) as a lot of times a busy parent finds themselves picking up essentials just as often at the drugstore as the grocery store in my experience

PS... guessing that PC Travel is also part of the mix is because in the PC Financial split from CIBC, PC also retained the Insurances portion.... and travel dovetails into that market
Sep 2, 2016
222 posts
14 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 3:14 pm
Seems to be specifically targeted at PC Financial MasterCard holders... (not just anyone with a MC)

And would partially explain WHY Loblaws Group negotiated in their separation from CIBC to withhold the rights to the PC Financial MasterCard vs having it fold in under the Simplii Banking umbrella

I do not have a PC Financial MasterCard... don’t need any more CCs

But I do see this as a positive feature for those that do in association with the newly announced PC Optimum Program (merger of PC Plus & SDM Optimum) that will be effective February 1st

I also see these benefits attractive to the SDM Customers who may have previously had a RBC Shoppers CC (relationship now also dissolved)

The big question here though is... is it worth $ 9.99 a month to join into this PC Insiders Group Feature along with holding the CC ?

Perhaps so if one has a young family (baby essentials ... and clothes / children’s clothes @ Loblaws Group) and is at a point in life mega stressed for quality time / personal time (click & collect ... and self care / beauty products ... and vacation time)

For everyone else... maybe not so much

Anxious to read what other RFDers post here... and if they also currently hold PC MasterCards

Will be curious to see if those particular categories cross over onto the SDM front as well (ie Diapers, Formula, etc) as a lot of times a busy parent finds themselves picking up essentials just as often at the drugstore as the grocery store in my experience

PS... guessing that PC Travel is also part of the mix is because in the PC Financial split from CIBC, PC also retained the Insurances portion.... and travel dovetails into that market
I did not any get offer to upgrade to that program so far and I have a PC MC WE which I use as my primary credit card.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13720 posts
6125 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
First, according to CBC, this isn't "targeted" in the traditional sense(*). Anyone with $9.99/month to spend who has/gets free PCF MC and PC Opt cards is welcome to join.

Loblaws pitches upgraded loyalty program for $9.99 a month for premium perks

As for reactions, it seems odd that I should have to pay Westons for my loyalty. Shouldn't that work the other way around--they pay/reward me for my continued loyalty?

But worse, I don't see the $120/year value in this. Perhaps if you buy cosmetics at SDM and/or are raising a young family that uses diapers and formula, you do.

Added: (*) Apparently it is targeted, at least in pilot mode: "Didn't receive an invitation code and interested in joining? Join the waitlist so we can let you know when we're ready to expand."
Last edited by bylo on Nov 20th, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6123 posts
3654 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bylo wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 3:29 pm
First, according to CBC, this isn't "targeted" in the traditional sense. Anyone with $9.99/month to spend who has/gets free PCF MC and PC Opt cards is welcome to join.

As for reactions, it seems odd that I should have to pay Westons for my loyalty. Shouldn't that work the other way around--they pay/reward me for my continued loyalty?

But worse, I don't see the $120/year value in this. Perhaps if you buy cosmetics at SDM and/or are raising a young family that uses diapers and formula, you do.
Ya I would like to hear from some RFDers who are raising young families... especially on this perk:

20 per cent back in PC points on the essentials such as diapers, infant formula, and all PC Organics products in-store and online.

What exactly per month are they out laying on these essentials... and is 20% a fair / progressive cash back in relation to the $ 9.99 a month surcharge ... remembering that most CCs true CASH BACK is only around 2%

EDIT / ADDED:

So here a $ 10 spend gets ya 2,000 PC Points = $ 2.00 in merchandise
While
A $ 10 spend on a cash back cc = $ 0.20

wondering tho... don’t PC MC holders also get some sort of cash back / PC Points on buys at Loblaws Group cause they use this cc. Guessing these PC Insiders would get that as well

Like I said need more info from the “targeted customer” to know their life experience and if they see it as worthwhile
Last edited by PointsHubby on Nov 20th, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13720 posts
6125 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 3:14 pm
And yet no mention of PCF Insurance (auto, home, pet, travel, life insurance.) That pays 10 to 20 points per dollar when premiums are charged to PCF MC.

Added: They're actually cutting points on some insurance:
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Oct 14, 2017
736 posts
448 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote:

You don't have to pay Weston. It's optional. As a first reaction, I don't see enough value in it for me to sign up, but it's not like every marketing program has to be targeted at people who think and shop like me, or like you. Indeed, I'd guess it's a near-certainty that serious savers aren't the primary target segment they're aiming at.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13720 posts
6125 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
The official site is up: PC Insiders

Something the CBC didn't mention, "Two surprise boxes delivered annually." I can only imagine what surprises await the chosen few... :twisted:

Also very interesting is that SDM doesn't seem to be part of this. I wonder why.
Last edited by bylo on Nov 20th, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
[OP]
Nov 19, 2017
14 posts
30 upvotes
I'm not a parent, nor have I used the PCtravel website but that $99 subscription that nets a $99 credit on PCtravel is one of the benefits I see that could make this worth the fee.

All depends on what PCtravel has on offer and how much one has used the PC plus program or Shoppers Optimum program once they are merged next year.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4014 posts
955 upvotes
Josh765 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 3:51 pm
I'm not a parent, nor have I used the PCtravel website but that $99 subscription that nets a $99 credit on PCtravel is one of the benefits I see that could make this worth the fee.

All depends on what PCtravel has on offer and how much one has used the PC plus program or Shoppers Optimum program once they are merged next year.
The prices on PC Travel aren't that great so the chances are you're spending $100 and maybe even more, compared to just using something like Expedia.
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3922 posts
606 upvotes
Richmond
so in other words, if you are willing to pay a $99 annual fee, you get 20% cashback for baby diapers and formula, all pco products and joe fresh clothing and buying stuff online from sdm's online beauty department and a 99 dollar credit @ pctravel.ca

@bylo Sdm is part of it. 20x pc points @ beautyBOUTIQUE.ca . That site is part of the sdm arm. The sdm beauty department to be precise
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6123 posts
3654 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bylo wrote:
First, according to CBC, this isn't "targeted" in the traditional sense(*). Anyone with $9.99/month to spend who has/gets free PCF MC and PC Opt cards is welcome to join.

Added: (*) Apparently it is targeted, at least in pilot mode: "Didn't receive an invitation code and interested in joining? Join the waitlist so we can let you know when we're ready to expand."
Thanks for the add.

Interesting the targeting.

But hey nothing makes folks want to join more than hearing about something “on the side” about them not being on “the inside”
(All puns intentional)
bylo wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 3:46 pm
The official site is up: PC Insiders

Something the CBC didn't mention, "Two surprise boxes delivered annually." I can only imagine what surprises await the chosen few... :twisted:

Also very interesting is that SDM doesn't seem to be part of this. I wonder why.
Also interesting.

Surprise boxes could certainly relate to the Purchases made... be that FREE Product or FREE Sample Product
(Thinking here kiddie stuff or cosmetics etc)

Lol, would be nice tho if the boxes were just envelopes with REAL Cashback in them. A Parent with a young family can always use more cash
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13720 posts
6125 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bluebellrose wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 4:14 pm
@bylo Sdm is part of it. 20x pc points @ beautyBOUTIQUE.ca . That site is part of the sdm arm. The sdm beauty department to be precise
There's no mention of SDM on the pcinsiders.ca site that I can see.

Added: Actually there is, but it's an exclusion:
That's doubly disappointing because they're about to open a T&T here in Waterloo.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3922 posts
606 upvotes
Richmond
bylo wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 4:25 pm
There's no mention of SDM on the pcinsiders.ca site that I can see.

Added: Actually there is, but it's an exclusion:
That's doubly disappointing because they're about to open a T&T here in Waterloo.
but beautybontique is part of sdm but they don't mention sdm specifically. So it seems like the only things that qualify at sdm is those high margin cosmetics that they sell online. Everything else doesn't qualify