Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
PC Mobile

Moto G5 $139

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2018 2:33 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
dilligafeh wrote: Staples is a lost cause. Those idiots said they could not price match as the phone is locked to PC Mobile. I told them after Dec all phones are sold unlocked, and they insisted it's not the same as "you have to use it with PC Mobile" even though it's unlocked. Utter BS just to get out of their price match policy. I think I'm going to stay away from their stores from now on.
This is specifically a PC Mobile unlocked phone, but it's a PC Mobile phone, probably a minor subsidy there as well. G6 is coming, so this is also likely a very specific sale.

Staples on the other hand is selling a truly non telecom, retail, non subsidized at all edition.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1098 posts
416 upvotes
Pickering
weedb0y wrote: This is specifically a PC Mobile unlocked phone, but it's a PC Mobile phone, probably a minor subsidy there as well. G6 is coming, so this is also likely a very specific sale.
The only thing PC Mobile about the phone is the sleeve on the box, and the PC Mobile SIM inside. There is no carrier firmware or software on the phone.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
2188 posts
1681 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: I turned off moto display and it's a solid two day battery life now..

Give it couple of cycles, this phone is optimized already
Thanks. Is Moto display an app? How do I disable it? I am bit of a cell phone newbie.
Oct 6, 2015
150 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto, ON
True story. I bought this phone when it first came out replacing my Asus Zenfone 2. A year later, I was given a Samsung S8+ by my company, I used it for a month before going back to the Moto. Nicer screen and USB-C is a plus on the Samsung, but I just really hate all the bloat and the whole Samsung ecosystem (and you can't get rid of some of the stuff). The Moto's OS is more stock Android, I also prefer the fingerprint reader in the front on the Moto compared to being in the back of the Samsung. Its a bargain at this price.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11270 upvotes
xxgosokxx wrote: True story. I bought this phone when it first came out replacing my Asus Zenfone 2. A year later, I was given a Samsung S8+ by my company, I used it for a month before going back to the Moto. Nicer screen and USB-C is a plus on the Samsung, but I just really hate all the bloat and the whole Samsung ecosystem (and you can't get rid of some of the stuff). The Moto's OS is more stock Android, I also prefer the fingerprint reader in the front on the Moto compared to being in the back of the Samsung. Its a bargain at this price.
To be fair, everybody has their own priorities with their phones. For me, the only reason I can't even consider this phone is the camera quality. It seems that if you want flagship quality photos, you need a flagship phone. I really wish someone would come up with a top quality camera with a mid range chipset. That would be my dream phone, long battery life, good enough performance, but great camera.

Getting back to it, this is a comparison between the S8+ and the G5:
https://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?id ... hone2=8698

It's not pretty. The small aperture really hurts it in lower light. A shame.

I know for MANY people camera quality is on the low end (or not even on the list) of priorities, so this isn't an issue for many.
Feb 4, 2004
227 posts
26 upvotes
Pickering
dilligafeh wrote: How many did he have for sale ? You should post it in hot deals ...
No reason for sarcasm. This is just another option for others to seek out a LG G4 from Kijiji or elsewhere. When I personally tried to purchase the Moto G5 there were none around either so always YMMV.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7617 upvotes
ON
stormy13 wrote: The only thing PC Mobile about the phone is the sleeve on the box, and the PC Mobile SIM inside. There is no carrier firmware or software on the phone.
Exactly !
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7617 upvotes
ON
weedb0y wrote: This is specifically a PC Mobile unlocked phone, but it's a PC Mobile phone, probably a minor subsidy there as well. G6 is coming, so this is also likely a very specific sale.

Staples on the other hand is selling a truly non telecom, retail, non subsidized at all edition.
You sure you don't work at Staples ? You'd fit right in.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7617 upvotes
ON
jenn17 wrote: Try the PC Mobile inside the Real Canadian Superstore beside Scarborough Town Center. They had restocked and had 10 as of yesterday when I called.

People, I meant people....apologies.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7617 upvotes
ON
imoo2u wrote: Had a hard time removing the back cover to insert SIM and battery.
Just too tight so gave up as not to damage the cover plus avoiding slips that might scratch the display.
Moto G3 and G4 were much easier to remove back covers,

Will try again. Any tips.

TIA.
Use a CCard or your fingernail on the indentation on the bottom right hand corner and pry open a little until it clicks. Then slide your card/nail all around the perimeter of the phone to unlock the tabs and take the cover off. You will hear it clicking as you do this, it's the tabs unlocking. Don't try to pry open completely from just one corner, you might damage it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
dilligafeh wrote: Use a CCard or your fingernail on the indentation on the bottom right hand corner and pry open a little until it clicks. Then slide your card/nail all around the perimeter of the phone to unlock the tabs and take the cover off. You will hear it clicking as you do this, it's the tabs unlocking. Don't try to pry open completely from just one corner, you might damage it.
If you're a guitarist, then a thin/medium guitar pick works wonders.
In fact, what don't those damn things work well for???
LOL!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
jenn17 wrote: Try the PC Mobile inside the Real Canadian Superstore beside Scarborough Town Center. They had restocked and had 10 as of yesterday when I called.
Just pick one up to replace my G Play. About 8 left in stock currently
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7617 upvotes
ON
Woah! wrote: If you're a guitarist, then a thin/medium guitar pick works wonders.
In fact, what don't those damn things work well for???
LOL!!!!!
Picking your nose.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1770 posts
673 upvotes
Bedford
dilligafeh wrote: Use a CCard or your fingernail on the indentation on the bottom right hand corner and pry open a little until it clicks. Then slide your card/nail all around the perimeter of the phone to unlock the tabs and take the cover off. You will hear it clicking as you do this, it's the tabs unlocking. Don't try to pry open completely from just one corner, you might damage it.
One of the few things I don't like about the G5 is the snap on back. I change SIM/SD Cards a lot and much prefer the cages type setup. Certainly not a show stopper however.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7617 upvotes
ON
repatch wrote: Give this man/woman a medal! :)
In the words of our glorious leader, you can address me as people...lol
Dec 5, 2009
332 posts
298 upvotes
Don't bother going to RCSS at the Scarborough TC. I went there around 6.00 pm and the phones were all sold out.
Nov 15, 2016
307 posts
116 upvotes
QC
Anyone find a good byod data plan for cheap. So far the best plan I can find is without data and that’s with public mobile for unlimited talk and text for $25
Sep 17, 2014
34 posts
19 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Anyone see this phone in stock in the Vancouver area?
Jan 6, 2008
72 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond
fireman604 wrote: Anyone see this phone in stock in the Vancouver area?
There was 2 left on Scott Rd in Surrey on Friday when I picked mine up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)