• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2016 12:35 pm
[OP]
Sep 1, 2008
42 posts
3 upvotes
Brainy142 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2011 2:43 pm
Speakout (same network same company) , you will need to figure how to enter the settings on your own (I don't believe the reps can support unofficial devices). make sure to confirm the grace period also applies, the BB would have to be unlocked I believe. I'l take a look and see if I can find out how to do it on a BB.

i have my BB unlocked..just let me know about the settings...thanks
Jul 8, 2009
166 posts
18 upvotes
Newmarket
try going to options---> advanced options ----> TCP ----> apn and enter the settings I posted earlier.
if that doesn't work or you need more help I'd recommend going to the http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/ forums and see if someone there know's for sure. for the blackberry you must use a WAP browser.... I have no idea where to get one, as I don't have a BB, opera mini used to work then it apparently broke.
Sep 12, 2007
187 posts
30 upvotes
The above postings are all mixed up between PC Mobile and Speakout.

These are two totally unrelated services.

In the interest of avoiding confusion I have started a new thread for PC Mobile info only:

PC Mobile Unlimited Web Browsing Using SIM Anyone Tried it on Smart Phone ?
Jul 8, 2009
166 posts
18 upvotes
Newmarket
dlseeker wrote:
Jan 7th, 2011 2:55 pm
The above postings are all mixed up between PC Mobile and speakout.

I have started a new thread for PC Mobile info only: PC Mobile Unlimited Web Browsing Using SIM Anyone Tried it on Smart Phone ?

I only mentioned speakout as they are the same network (same wap settings also), apologies if I caused any confusion.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2008
42 posts
3 upvotes
dlseeker wrote:
Jan 7th, 2011 2:55 pm
the above postings are all mixed up between pc mobile and speakout.

These are two totally unrelated services.

In the interest of avoiding confusion i have started a new thread for pc mobile info only:

Pc mobile unlimited web browsing using sim anyone tried it on smart phone ?

thanks
[OP]
Sep 1, 2008
42 posts
3 upvotes
Brainy142 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2011 2:58 pm
I only mentioned speakout as they are the same network (same wap settings also), apologies if I caused any confusion.

I will try on BB with the settings u mentioned on PC Mobile and let you know if there is any luck
Sep 12, 2007
187 posts
30 upvotes
Brainy142 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2011 2:58 pm

They are not the same network PC mobile uses Bell, Speakout uses Rogers. I doubt the settings will be the same.

You are probably confused with Speakout and Petro Canada Mobile, these two are in fact on the same network and administered by the same company.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2008
42 posts
3 upvotes
dlseeker wrote:
Jan 7th, 2011 3:04 pm
They are not the same network PC mobile uses Bell, Speakout uses Rogers. I doubt the settings will be the same.

You are probably confused with Speakout and Petro Canada Mobile, these two are in fact on the same network and administered by the same company.
you are right PC mobile is on Bell...i think its about the word PC as both (President Choice and Petro Canada) have same initials..LOL
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15096 posts
769 upvotes
So what's the deal? Is Loblaws President Choice (PC) offering 3G via wap (and if so what's their network settings)? If so I've never seem Loblaws PC SIM's for sale in store - and I check out the phone display at my local supermarket on a regular basis.

If this is for Petro-Can gas (PCG) this is kinda old news since Speakout (both run by Ztar through Rogers) has offered this for ages - only difference is it's $10 on Speakout and PCG has a shorter expiry.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
Mar 4, 2009
772 posts
29 upvotes
thanks op!

Would it be possible for you guys to summarize what are your findings?

1. Could you bring in any unlocked phone, get their sim card, and start their paygo plan?

2. could you get an add-on for 7 dollar unlimited browsing / month with any phone (including smartphones)?

3. If you could get unlimited browsing, what settings do you need to put in your phone?

4. After getting unlimited browsing set up, what apps, if any, would work (i.e. msn messenger?)
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10981 posts
1338 upvotes
NG wrote:
Jan 7th, 2011 6:51 pm
So what's the deal? Is Loblaws President Choice (PC) offering 3G via wap (and if so what's their network settings)? If so I've never seem Loblaws PC SIM's for sale in store - and I check out the phone display at my local supermarket on a regular basis. If this is for Petro-Can gas (PCG) this is kinda old news since Speakout (both run by Ztar through Rogers) has offered this for ages - only difference is it's $10 on Speakout and PCG has a shorter expiry.
The PC Mobile SIM cards are now for sale in Loblaws stores. It's on the side of the cellphone display unit along with Bell/Solo SIM and Virgin Mobile SIM cards. I think the other side of the display has the PAYG cards. The center of the display has the actual cellphones

The Bell SIMs are $10, don't know how much the other SIM cards are

As noted above, lots of online forums abbreviate "PetroCanada" Mobile as "PC Mobile" which is Rogers/Ztar (3G as of late last year). I think Presidents Choice Mobile which is also abbreviated "PC Mobile" is carried on Bell 3G.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2008
42 posts
3 upvotes
imp wrote:
Jan 8th, 2011 10:32 am
thanks op!

Would it be possible for you guys to summarize what are your findings?

1. Could you bring in any unlocked phone, get their sim card, and start their paygo plan?

2. could you get an add-on for 7 dollar unlimited browsing / month with any phone (including smartphones)?

3. If you could get unlimited browsing, what settings do you need to put in your phone? Could the PC associate help you with this?

4. After getting unlimited browsing set up, what apps would work (i.e. msn messenger?)
I will buy the sim card and try running on my BB and post my results...It will be helpful if someone can post the apn settings for BB as I know the customer service wont help me out in this

Also I know they have a separate plan just for MSN so that wont work on browsing but as long as we have 3rd party software like ebuddy and Nimbuzz..who cares..?

Infact the CSR told me to use 3rd party software to log on to messengers...
[OP]
Sep 1, 2008
42 posts
3 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Jan 8th, 2011 10:51 am
The PC Mobile SIM cards are now for sale in Loblaws stores. It's on the side of the cellphone display unit along with Bell SIM and Virgin Mobile SIM cards. I think the other side of the display has the PAYG cards. The center of the display has the actual cellphones

The Bell SIMs are $10, don't know how much the other SIM cards are

As noted above, lots of online forums abbreviate "PetroCanada" Mobile as "PC Mobile" which is Rogers/Ztar (3G as of late last year). I think Presidents Choice Mobile which is also abbreviated "PC Mobile" is carried on Bell 3G.

right,,,please post the apn settings if u find one...it will help me try this out on my BB
Mar 4, 2009
772 posts
29 upvotes
Brainy142 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2011 1:47 pm
Sorry my bad, the speed has been upgraded very recently IT IS TRUE 3G!!!!

* there are somethings potental buyers should know (I posted it on the 2nd page and is being updated as I get info from a couple forums.)

remember this is BROWSING *not* DATA your browsing must go through a proxy to work (going to list on 2nd page)

IMPORTANT: if using for android make sure your phone is *2.2* as 2.1 has issues with keeping settings.
is that true for all android phones? which phone did you try?
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10981 posts
1338 upvotes
nishant3112 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2011 11:39 am
right,,,please post the apn settings if u find one...it will help me try this out on my BB
I'm guessing it's similar to Virgin Mobile which is also carried on Bell:

Access name: proxy.bell.ca
HTTP proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca:80
Port: 80
Auth type: none
User ID: blank
Password: blank
Protocol: HTTP

Looking at some of the online Virgin Mobile Canada forums, they don't seem to allow smartphones on the UMB plan. The smartest phone they allow for this is the Samsung Impact which is Java based. I'm guessing PC Mobile is the same?
× < >