• Oct 27th, 2017 7:12 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 26, 2008
696 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough

PC Optimizations

I think I have most of the major performance tweaks down. I may be missing a couple of tweaks. I would like to add to what I have not done.

Rig:
i7 6700, asus h170 pro gaming, evga 1070 sc, 16gb of 2133 ram, corsair 650w g2, w10 pro

List of tweaks performed:
Installing Stable GPU drivers, running latest BIOS
Lowering DPC latency (i.e., enabling iGPU through BIOS, disabling C-States, Intel Speedstep, Turbo Boost)
CRU Monitor Frequency App tweak
Disabling polling apps like desktop composition (built-in desktop v-sync in w7; disable aero, enable Basic instead), f.lux
Disabling Shader Cache, Threaded Optimization (improves stability/prevents stuttering)
Pre-rendered frames @2
Disable all options under 'Privacy' in Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 (UWT4) that will remove telemetry, cortana, etc

Would anyone be able to add to this? Feel free to post. Thank you!
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5255 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
with how current your hardware is a lot of what you've done here isn't nessecary and could actually create issues for you, particularly the global settings you forced in the NVIDIA control panel could make performance worse. Those should only be used on a case by case basis if you're experiencing issues with with a specific game.
You also don't stand to gain much if anything by disabling aero on hardware that powerful and while I'm not sure about that specific UWT4 tool, using 3rd party apps to disable and remove Win10 features is well known to cause issues with updates and Windows store games like Gears, Forza, Halo etc
[OP]
Jan 26, 2008
696 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
Most people are fine without optimizations. I would agree with that; however, a more responsive machine requires tweaking and rigorous testing. I've been there and done that except for that last tweak. Data collection from using w10 is not something I'd like to support.

I'm looking for more tweaks to test.

EDIT: "In addition to affecting audio popping, DPC latency has also been found on the Overclock.net forums to be a good measure of mouse/keyboard input lag in video games. Lower DPC means that you computer is more prepared to deal with requests and process input from peripherals. DPC is likely high when you feel like your mouse cursor is slogging through mud, lagging behind your mouse movements. This has a huge effect in video gaming, especially in competitive games."

"Outside of certain applications (real-time audio recording/ super-fast twitch gaming). It doesn't matter for the most part. The masses don't care as long it doesn't take minutes for their system to pull up their favorite cat pictures or silly youtube videos."

https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=118867
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5926 posts
773 upvotes
Grimsby
Since using an SSD for my boot drive I can't honestly say I've across anything else that makes an appreciable difference.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5255 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure about DPC latency as I haven't had any of those issues and have never heard of people with modern hardware on Windows 10 talking about that. Not on either big PC subreddit, not in the 240 page PC gaming discussion thread here, not at work (I'm in IT) or anywhere really. Perhaps that's an issue you've experienced in the past but I doubt you need to worry about that in 2017 on Windows 10 or more people would be talking about it.

I feel you on the data collection thing but at the same time so many other services and apps outside of the OS are collecting your data, it's going to happen either way. Do what you gotta do but many have reported problems with OS updates or Xbox play anywhere games using similar tools.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2008
696 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
All the power to you if it does not bother you. I'd like my setup to be as responsive as possible. Sure, I'm at a point where it's not necessary and there are diminishing returns but every edge counts.

Here's the program that monitors this: LatencyMon. Your spikes may be infrequent, small, or both so when you're immersed in a game, they can go unnoticed to an untrained eye. Anything between 0-200us is very, very good. I think people notice when the numbers are high (2000+) or when there are frequent spikes.

I used to have a rig that have these issues so I looked into it. To this day, I would monitor every rig I build to minimize these spikes. Modern rigs have spikes, too. Just smaller and less frequent.

This thread can be locked. Found a 300+ page thread elsewhere dedicated to these type of tweaks.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11193 posts
754 upvotes
vinkl wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 7:03 am
I think I have most of the major performance tweaks down. I may be missing a couple of tweaks. I would like to add to what I have not done.

Rig:
i7 6700, asus h170 pro gaming, evga 1070 sc, 16gb of 2133 ram, corsair 650w g2, w10 pro

List of tweaks performed:
Installing Stable GPU drivers, running latest BIOS
Lowering DPC latency (i.e., enabling iGPU through BIOS, disabling C-States, Intel Speedstep, Turbo Boost)
CRU Monitor Frequency App tweak
Disabling polling apps like desktop composition (built-in desktop v-sync in w7; disable aero, enable Basic instead), f.lux
Disabling Shader Cache, Threaded Optimization (improves stability/prevents stuttering)
Pre-rendered frames @2
Disable all options under 'Privacy' in Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 (UWT4) that will remove telemetry, cortana, etc

Would anyone be able to add to this? Feel free to post. Thank you!
This whole list is a waste of time. $20 says you won't notice any difference after making all of theses changes.
Jan 29, 2013
649 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
I'm waiting for the eventual post outlining the lack of stability the PC has Face With Tears Of Joy
[OP]
Jan 26, 2008
696 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
board123 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 2:19 pm
This whole list is a waste of time. $20 says you won't notice any difference after making all of theses changes.
So you are one of those guys who just plug and play. Good for you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9019 posts
195 upvotes
vinkl wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 6:34 pm
Lol, guy you quoted is an engineer at AMD, I'm sure he knows a thing or two about gaming optimization.

What monitor are you running? 240Hz Zowie?
https://danluu.com/keyboard-latency/

Did you see the article on hacker news about keyboard latency?
it's me ramin.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2008
696 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm on a 144Hz BenQ.

I'll look into the article. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5255 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
B0000rt wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 6:47 pm
https://danluu.com/keyboard-latency/
wow I am using the worse one in the list and have never once felt like it's any less responsive than any of the dozen other gaming controllers and platforms I play on. I've often placed top 5 and even 1st in full Battlefied matches from my couch with this wireless kb/m setup. Maybe this latency stuff matters when you're a professional E-Sports player but I've never seen average gamers bring this up before
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11193 posts
754 upvotes
vinkl wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 6:34 pm
No, I'm not. There are lots of tweaks that I do, but they're not for the sake of unsubstantiated performance gains. None of those tweaks you listed will have any impact on gaming performance.. They are purely for making unknowledgeable people feel more "pro" than they really are.

Sometimes less is more, and this is one such instance. The tweaks you listed are in the same category as disabling the page file - i.e. useless
[OP]
Jan 26, 2008
696 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
board123 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:12 pm
None of those tweaks you listed will have any impact on gaming performance..
That statement just shows your ignorance. What's first on my list? GPU drivers. New drivers do not affect gaming performance to any degree? There are a lot of unstable drivers out there that affects gaming performance for old and new games depending on your hardware. Please gtfo if you have nothing to contribute.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11193 posts
754 upvotes
vinkl wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 11:49 pm
That statement just shows your ignorance. What's first on my list? GPU drivers. New drivers do not affect gaming performance to any degree? There are a lot of unstable drivers out there that affects gaming performance for old and new games depending on your hardware. Please gtfo if you have nothing to contribute.
You calling me ignorant over graphics driver stuff? That's some irony right there....

I have a lot to contribute, but you're just too stubborn to listen. You're more than welcome to waste your time with all this "tweaking" stuff. It makes no difference to me at the end of the day.