Tags:
[OP]
Jan 26, 2008
696 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
board123 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 1:01 am
You calling me ignorant over graphics driver stuff? That's some irony right there....

I have a lot to contribute, but you're just too stubborn to listen. You're more than welcome to waste your time with all this "tweaking" stuff. It makes no difference to me at the end of the day.
We have differing views. You say it doesn't matter. I say it does. Why couldn't you leave it at that and not post? Why did you feel the need to undermine me with your first post?
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11196 posts
755 upvotes
vinkl wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 2:15 am
We have differing views. You say it doesn't matter. I say it does. Why couldn't you leave it at that and not post? Why did you feel the need to undermine me with your first post?
Just because you say it does doesn't mean it really does, and unfortunately for you, my word carries more weight on this topic. This is not a matter of "differing views". This is about measurable differences that your tweaks make. I'm not undermining you. I'm trying to save you from wasting time.

Like I said previously, you're more than welcome to go waste your time on this stuff. Don't just say it's not snake oil. Go try it and find out if it's snake oil or not. Go run some benchmarks and check if disabling Aero will really increase your system performance or not.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5278 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
board123 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:23 am
Don't just say it's not snake oil. Go try it and find out if it's snake oil or not. Go run some benchmarks and check if disabling Aero will really increase your system performance or not.
That one is my favorite. Spending $1500 on modern hardware including a $500 GPU then disabling Aero. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Jan 26, 2008
696 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
board123 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:23 am
Just because you say it does doesn't mean it really does, and unfortunately for you, my word carries more weight on this topic. This is not a matter of "differing views". This is about measurable differences that your tweaks make. I'm not undermining you. I'm trying to save you from wasting time.

Like I said previously, you're more than welcome to go waste your time on this stuff. Don't just say it's not snake oil. Go try it and find out if it's snake oil or not. Go run some benchmarks and check if disabling Aero will really increase your system performance or not.
You're correct in the sense that there's no measurable difference; however, there is a perceived difference much like having a mouse polling rate at 1000Hz over 125Hz or a monitor refresh rate at 144Hz over 60Hz. On windows 7, the Aero theme has a built-in vsync for window-based applications so those who play osu or competitive twitched-based games in window mode or windowed-fullscreen will experience input lag.

I do these tweaks so that when I'm at equal level in skill, i will edge out over the competition in inputs.

I do apologize if undermining me was not your intention. I'm trying to gain edges where it does adds up over time and create wins more often than losses but I'm at a point where there are very little gains which is, like you said, not worth the time.
Jan 29, 2013
655 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
If you're in the bracket of competitive gaming where you're looking for these miniscule changes to give you an edge, you're probably honestly better off investing that time spent researching into these things into practicing the games you're playing. It will likely give you a more meaningful outcome.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2008
696 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
You're absolutely right. This is a bad habit for me. I need to find myself a new twitch-based game.