• Oct 23rd, 2019 4:32 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9962 posts
1349 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 3:22 pm
Lol, isn’t this just a high school math question / problem ?

Figure it out

Option 1

Option 2
Part A
Part B
Part C

Which one leaves the most money in your pocket at the end of the day ?

Other than that, how can anyone decide for you on what to buy ?
Was just looking for an opinion, wasn't looking for someone to do the math.
FARMERBLANCHE wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 6:06 pm
Seniors days are usually Thursday and never correspond with a 20x day anymore

Why don't you just use the gift card for groceries,etc (on various 20x days) and then use the $200 you have saved (by using the gift card on essentials) on whatever you want and use the points later too.
I never understand these questions....there is no maximizing your spending. Buy things you need or want and enjoy. If you are buying a console to resell you won't get the full value out of the card and it will be a hassle.
Congratulations on the $200 win. Don't over think it. Enjoy it.
I guess that's an option. Tomorrow I am doing the 200,000pts redemption for a switch for $79.99. Already have a buyer (possibly) for it so instant profit.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9971 posts
7255 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
XtremeModder wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 9:44 pm
Was just looking for an opinion, wasn't looking for someone to do the math.
Sorry, I just thought it READ / looked like a HS Math Problem

Not sure how another’s opinion would help you out as there are so many options / vaiables to choose from

For me it would be a case of which one gives you the most money in your pocket at the end of day
I guess that's an option. Tomorrow I am doing the 200,000pts redemption for a switch for $79.99. Already have a buyer (possibly) for it so instant profit.
Speaking of money in your pocket

Curious as to how much you’ll make off this deal ?

You do the 200 K Points Redemption for $ 300

And still have to splash out the extra $ 80 or so

What do you end up selling the switch for ?

As your costs are already close to $ 300
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2375 posts
820 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
bluebellrose wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 7:37 pm
Heads up. New Price match Policy. The amount of competitors cashiers are allowed to pm at Rcss has dropped .Now the cashiers have a hard limit of who they are allowed to pm. Only those set in their register list are available to Price match.

I'll list the ones for Richmond RCSS.
No frills Shoppers, Walmart Pricesmart and saveon. Safeway and London drugs have been taken off the list. These were previously stores game for price matching.
Thanks for the warning. Safeway being off the list seems perplexing to me. Between that and getting personal offer points slashed in half (for example lettuce used to by 300 points, now 150 points) it becomes harder and harder to shop for good food on a budget.
If snitches get stitches, it stands to reason that Major League Baseball snitches get 108 stitches.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
1063 posts
938 upvotes
GTA
Lone_Prodigy wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 5:28 pm
Something was bugging me last night, like I forgot to do something.

Finally remembered a few minutes AFTER midnight that I forgot to save my previous week's offers!

I should set a weekly reminder...

I set a recurring reminder at 930pm EST (and one 10 and 11pm in case I ignore earlier one) Wednesdays to view

New Offers loaded

Helps me to decide which 4 to save for following week :)

Argh wish we could save more than 4!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9962 posts
1349 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:59 pm
Sorry, I just thought it READ / looked like a HS Math Problem

Not sure how another’s opinion would help you out as there are so many options / vaiables to choose from

For me it would be a case of which one gives you the most money in your pocket at the end of day

Speaking of money in your pocket

Curious as to how much you’ll make off this deal ?

You do the 200 K Points Redemption for $ 300

And still have to splash out the extra $ 80 or so

What do you end up selling the switch for ?

As your costs are already close to $ 300
I get pts on things that I need, so I don't look at the $200 as cash in my pocket, it just makes whatever I want free. As there's nothing I actually need right now I thought hell why not just redeem $200 for $300 and pay $79.99 for the switch. Have a possible buyer @ 350 right now.

I'll make my mind up in the morning if I want to get one or not.

Hell if I was still able to use the pts towards gift cards I'd be getting gc's for bestbuy and putting it towards a new receiver since I do need one. Can't do that though.
Jun 25, 2018
109 posts
106 upvotes
Southern N.B.
XtremeModder wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:54 am
I get pts on things that I need, so I don't look at the $200 as cash in my pocket, it just makes whatever I want free.
huh?
If I can get a $200 something that I need without paying for it (free), then that means i do not have to take $200 cash out of my pocket.
As well, a lot of nefarious people see the points as cash in their pockets because they like to steal those points.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5775 posts
2365 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 10:34 am
-Dont use gc, redeem 200,000pts during pts redemption (tomorrow) to make a switch or PS4 $79.99 and get roughly $24 in pts
Ilike this option if you are going to resell because you pay ~$130 with Ontario taxes and sell for $350

You are ahead by $220 cash and it cost $176 in pts = $176 pts converted to cash and $44 pure profit.

Use the $200 GC choice on SDM and you are able to convert $130 GC to cash but you have $70 locked in that you now have to spend at SDM. If you are able to spend $70 in bits on milk with 20X, I would do that but otherwise I would just buy a Best Buy GC rather than lock myself in to having a bunch of SDM money.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16442 posts
8779 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
pointers wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:37 pm
Huh?
Isn't that's what we all are doing with PCO. Why would you buy something you do not need just to get points?
I think you're both saying the same thing, i.e. for stuff I need, stuff that I'd buy anyway, I might as well buy at a store that also pays me 1% in points.

Of course that assumes there isn't a lower price elsewhere. It's false economy to pay $1 more for an item in order to get 10¢ in points.
If I can get a $200 something that I need without paying for it (free), then that means i do not have to take $200 cash out of my pocket.
Agreed. It's not "free." Those points are worth cold hard cash. If @XtremeModder considers the points to be "free" then he ought to have no problem in giving them away. Indeed I doubt that he'd give someone his 200k points even for a $100 payment. After all he can spend the full $200 value to purchase stuff he "needs", leaving $200 cold hard cash in his wallet.

See e.g. Mental Accounting
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9962 posts
1349 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 1:01 pm
I think you're both saying the same thing, i.e. for stuff I need, stuff that I'd buy anyway, I might as well buy at a store that also pays me 1% in points.

Of course that assumes there isn't a lower price elsewhere. It's false economy to pay $1 more for an item in order to get 10¢ in points.

Agreed. It's not "free." Those points are worth cold hard cash. If @XtremeModder considers the points to be "free" then he ought to have no problem in giving them away. Indeed I doubt that he'd give someone his 200k points even for a $100 payment. After all he can spend the full $200 value to purchase stuff he "needs", leaving $200 cold hard cash in his wallet.

See e.g. Mental Accounting
Free as in I get free money back for buying what I want.

And I just redeemed 200k for $300 off, got a switch and sold it within 10 minutes, $340 cash in my pocket minus the difference so can't go wrong.

Going to do the exact same thing in a week or 2 when their next 20x points promo is on since I'll be getting a a $200 gift card.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3407 posts
623 upvotes
Might be a silly question but for those of you who have PCF MasterCards - can an authorized user's card be used in place of a PC Optimum card to earn/redeem points at retail or can only the primary cardholder's card do this?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10677 posts
9788 upvotes
CorSter wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 12:12 am
Might be a silly question but for those of you who have PCF MasterCards - can an authorized user's card be used in place of a PC Optimum card to earn/redeem points at retail or can only the primary cardholder's card do this?
Yes. I actually only allow my PC MC to redeem PCO points for goods. PCO card is only allow collect points and redeem points function is disabled for all my PCO cards.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $25 plan, Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, $7 50min/50text,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 3 lines $95/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4025 posts
655 upvotes
Richmond
CorSter wrote:
Yes and no. They cannot access the primary card holders pts balance. You need to create a household, have them create their own account and then join it in a household.
Sep 6, 2018
707 posts
593 upvotes
Nova Scotia
CorSter wrote:
I have an authorized user on my card, I get the % spend PCO points when the secondary card is used, but it will not work when attempting to collect PCO offers etc. Not sure if I have to set it up somehow to earn on offers (I don't want to use a household.)
Dec 24, 2005
397 posts
53 upvotes
I have a personal offer of 20x points for $40 starting tomorrow. They usually last 2-3 days. SDM has an in store offer of 20x for $50 on saturday only.

If I go shopping on Saturday, will both offers be put into play or just one?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9971 posts
7255 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
sportznutt wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 7:03 am
I have a personal offer of 20x points for $40 starting tomorrow. They usually last 2-3 days. SDM has an in store offer of 20x for $50 on saturday only.

If I go shopping on Saturday, will both offers be put into play or just one?
When You Spend (WUS) Offers DO NOT STACK
So no, you’ll just earn 20x the points (not 40x etc)

Clearly the Personal Offer is the better one cause it kicks in at $ 40
I’d be look8ng to use it BEFORE the Instore / Flyer Offer goes into effect

* NOTE - The Personal Offer will probably be only good for one use
Whereas the Instore Offer can be used multiple times
Plan your purchases accordingly

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 1 guest)

Enlgma, briand1989, lecale, TRK9, bylo