Shopping Discussion

Locked: PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:14 am
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Didi_beee wrote: Okay, I'm reading the pamphlet now. I have a PC Financial World MasterCard. Apparently I'm suppose to earn 20PC points per dollar for purchases at participating stores where PC products are sold. Does this mean every time I use my mastercard, it counts as purchases? Say I spend $5 in grocery purchases, I should be receiving 100 PC points regardless of loading any offers onto my card?

When they say 'at participating stores where PC products are sold, since No Frills was just added to the PC Plus Program this week, any purchases made prior to this week at No Frills would not have accumulated me any points?

What stores in the GTA participates in the PC Plus program? I only know of Loblaws but rarely shop there.

Do I need to give them my mastercard before scanning any items for them to scan first, and then I have to check out with my mastercard again? This seems quite tedious.
The PC World MC is black, right? That's the better one to have since you get more points with it from your purchases. And yes, it's for all purchases unlike the PC debit, which is just for stuff bought at Loblaw stores. If you bring your own reusable shopping bags, you'll get points when you pay with your PC MC. I doubt you will get retroactive point with No Frills.

The cashier will ask if you are a member of PC Plus, you show them your MC and then you swipe or tap your card to activate for that order - you never have to hand the cashier your credit card. When the order is complete, you either tap or insert your card to pay.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1607 posts
1431 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mars2012 wrote: The PC World MC is black, right? That's the better one to have since you get more points with it from your purchases. And yes, it's for all purchases unlike the PC debit, which is just for stuff bought at Loblaw stores. If you bring your own reusable shopping bags, you'll get points when you pay with your PC MC. I doubt you will get retroactive point with No Frills.

The cashier will ask if you are a member of PC Plus, you show them your MC and then you swipe or tap your card to activate for that order - you never have to hand the cashier your credit card. When the order is complete, you either tap or insert your card to pay.
Yup I have the black card. Thanks for all of your help. I finally found the appropriate PC Plus website to register to and loaded all of my offers for this week. That's weird, I registered on some other PC Plus site too, https://pcpoints.pcfinancial.ca/myaccou ... gnin.xhtml so what was the point of that?

What exactly is a retroactive credit?

Ok, I just got a response from PC telling me it can take up to 6 weeks for the welcome bonus coupons to appear
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4782 posts
1327 upvotes
Richmond
MS MSP wrote: Loblaws or RCSS stores. Apparently now No Frills as well.

You simply tap twice at checkout. Once for points, once to pay...it's not difficult but according to this thread, there sure are a lot of lazy people.
From what I understood from the no frills fb post it only applies to western canada no frills. Hence the op still reads not available at eastern canada no frills.
Mars2012 wrote: Make sure to click on the thumbnail of the item to get the details...once I thought I was shorted points but it was for a specific size of the product. Not sure how that would be for tomatoes, usually it includes all the various sorts but you never know.

As for the toys offer...I've never had it, but it would be nice to get one that applied to video games... :D
there is one next week. I got the flyer. Every $40 spent on video games and accessories 5000 pc points awarded

Didi_beee wrote: Yup I have the black card. Thanks for all of your help. I finally found the appropriate PC Plus website to register to and loaded all of my offers for this week. That's weird, I registered on some other PC Plus site too, https://pcpoints.pcfinancial.ca/myaccou ... gnin.xhtml so what was the point of that?

What exactly is a retroactive credit?

Ok, I just got a response from PC telling me it can take up to 6 weeks for the welcome bonus coupons to appear
it's the original website for pc points. They kept it up for those who wish to keep the old program separate from the new program
Didi_beee wrote: Okay, I'm reading the pamphlet now. I have a PC Financial World MasterCard. Apparently I'm suppose to earn 20PC points per dollar for purchases at participating stores where PC products are sold. Does this mean every time I use my mastercard, it counts as purchases? Say I spend $5 in grocery purchases, I should be receiving 100 PC points regardless of loading any offers onto my card?

When they say 'at participating stores where PC products are sold, since No Frills was just added to the PC Plus Program this week, any purchases made prior to this week at No Frills would not have accumulated me any points?

What stores in the GTA participates in the PC Plus program? I only know of Loblaws but rarely shop there.

Do I need to give them my mastercard before scanning any items for them to scan first, and then I have to check out with my mastercard again? This seems quite tedious.
according to the no frills facebook page, only western canada no frills is included in the pc plus program. All no frills across canada participate in the old program.(1) So if you earnt pc plus points with your pc mastercard at your rcss and/or loblaws that participates in pc plus, you can redeem those points though your pc mc at no frills. As no frills is a loblaws banner, paying with the pcf world mc at no frills would have netted you 2% back in pc points, which translates to 20 points per dollar. The only difference is that no frills did not give out bonus points until now. You only earnt what you would have earnt if you paid with the pcf mc

(1) Old program being the pc points program associated with the pcf cards.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4843 posts
4378 upvotes
B.C.
Just a head's up this week for people who like rice cakes and yes some of us do...

I got an offer this week (expiring September 17) on Quaker Rice Cakes, 1,200 points for one pack. And I'm thinking that others who generally buy them might have gotten that offer too. Safeway has Quaker Rice Cakes on this week for $1 each (10 for $10 they say) with a maximum of 10. So you could basically make money per package of rice cakes with the price match, once you cash in your points of course. I think it includes those Crispy Mini snack rice cakes they have too. And for those who aren't vegan and/or don't like plain, the cheese variety and tomato-basil variety are super yummy.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Sep 15, 2014
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Need a physical card or smart phone when checking out.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4782 posts
1327 upvotes
Richmond
derp. I got a letter in the mail about pc plus for no frills. I'm thinking it only applies to those who shopped at no frills previously. Dunno
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4782 posts
1327 upvotes
Richmond
no frills this week has um buy $30 of meat get $5k pc points
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12183 posts
5650 upvotes
Ottawa
Some pretty sweet offers for me lately and they are geared towards the stuff I buy often

1,000 pts for every $5 spent on Tropicana Orange Juice. I ended up price matching at Wal-Mart and got it for $3.97 instead

200 points for every $1 spent on fresh Pork. I price-matched centre cut pork loin roast from Metro and picked up a 1kg piece for less than $10 (original is $14) and collected 2,800 pts in the process because apparently the Points go with the original price. I am OK with that!

I also got a bonus offer of 10,000 points for every $100 spent in store (only valid for 4 days) but we didn't come close to that today.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4782 posts
1327 upvotes
Richmond
I didn't end up using the spend $100 get 10k pts back offer the last time they offered it following a spend 100 get 10/20 cents off per litre of gas. This time they offered a spend $50 get 5k pc points.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
69 upvotes
I used my PC PLUS card for the first time today at No Frills. I checked the offers before I left (only have an iPod but put the app on since the website was being really slow past few days! so I can quickly check the list before I leave the house). I picked up two packs of fresh sausages. My offer was for "200 pts For Every $1 Spent on Fresh Meat". Spend $1 or more on the items indicated etc. I always buy the meat that has a coupon. Picked up two 30% off.

So are ALL No Frills like this?
BC Honey Garlic 7.00
30% (7.00) -2.10
200 Pts
BC Honey Garlic 6.99
30% (6.99) -2.10

I got 200 points for the discount of $2.10! I actually paid $5.10 for the first pack. I'm assuming because their system doesn't have the $5.10 in it, the pt system picks up on the -$2.10 instead. Also my offer didn't say per pack. I'm guessing it is though since only the first one picked up the points.

So help me understand if I was actually suppose to only get 200 pts for one pack of meat?

And my cashier was telling the lady infront of me that it's just like Air Miles! I corrected her. You do have to load your offers EVERY WEEK. That's not the same at all if you are just using the PC PLUS card which is what this lady was asking about.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Angela V wrote: I used my PC PLUS card for the first time today at No Frills. I checked the offers before I left (only have an iPod but put the app on since the website was being really slow past few days! so I can quickly check the list before I leave the house). I picked up two packs of fresh sausages. My offer was for "200 pts For Every $1 Spent on Fresh Meat". Spend $1 or more on the items indicated etc. I always buy the meat that has a coupon. Picked up two 30% off.

BC Honey Garlic 7.00
30% (7.00) -2.10
200 Pts
BC Honey Garlic 6.99
30% (6.99) -2.10

I got 200 points for the discount of $2.10! I actually paid $5.10 for the first pack. I'm assuming because their system doesn't have the $5.10 in it, the pt system picks up on the -$2.10 instead. Also my offer didn't say per pack. I'm guessing it is though since only the first one picked up the points.

So help me understand if I was actually suppose to only get 200 pts for one pack of meat?

And my cashier was telling the lady infront of me that it's just like Air Miles! I corrected her. You do have to load your offers EVERY WEEK. That's not the same at all if you are just using the PC PLUS card which is what this lady was asking about.
You spent just under $10 for the two packages, so you should have gotten 1800 points ($9x200 pts). Email PC Plus with the transaction code and an explanation and they will add the points. I always check my bill to make sure the points are correct...there's been a couple times when it was my mistake (got wrong size), but mostly it's the program that's at-fault.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
You can train Loblaws' computer to give you offers you want. For example, if you want to stock up on beans, sardines and fresh beef, buy small quantities of these each week and don't buy much else - or if you do don't link those purchases to your PCPlus points account.

Fairly soon Loblaws will see that you are buying sardines, beans and fresh beef and will make offers on those items. Once you have hoarded these at discounted prices, bait Loblaws with other products.
Mar 27, 2007
534 posts
40 upvotes
Okanagan
One of the questions that I was asked in a questionnaire was whether my primary shopping choices were made on sale items or things I normally buy. I said 'sale items' so all my point offers are for things I've bought in the past. Some of these things are stuff that I might pick up once a year. I don't know if I've made any bonus points. Rather than these bonus points enticing me, I'm turned off.

Our SS calls a supervisor over if you want to price match. An example was the V8 juice, various varieties. I chose the Low Sodium so she hummed and hawed like she was doing me a favour as she 'really didn't have to match it'. It wasn't the same as the regular one in the flyer.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Angela V wrote: I used my PC PLUS card for the first time today at No Frills. I checked the offers before I left (only have an iPod but put the app on since the website was being really slow past few days! so I can quickly check the list before I leave the house). I picked up two packs of fresh sausages. My offer was for "200 pts For Every $1 Spent on Fresh Meat". Spend $1 or more on the items indicated etc. I always buy the meat that has a coupon. Picked up two 30% off.

BC Honey Garlic 7.00
30% (7.00) -2.10
200 Pts
BC Honey Garlic 6.99
30% (6.99) -2.10

The question I have is, Is sausage fresh meat? If not it did not qualify for the personal offer. You may have got 200 points because that was on the shelf sticker for everyone ... but 200 points on a $7 item seems trivial.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
69 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: You spent just under $10 for the two packages, so you should have gotten 1800 points ($9x200 pts). Email PC Plus with the transaction code and an explanation and they will add the points. I always check my bill to make sure the points are correct...there's been a couple times when it was my mistake (got wrong size), but mostly it's the program that's at-fault.
Thanks! That's a lot of points I didn't get.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
69 upvotes
Marzipan wrote: The question I have is, Is sausage fresh meat? If not it did not qualify for the personal offer. You may have got 200 points because that was on the shelf sticker for everyone ... but 200 points on a $7 item seems trivial.
Sausage was included in the list of meats. It was fresh not frozen. I would've gotten no points if it was frozen. 9x200 is 1800 pts. That's 1600 missing. So yes it is a big deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Angela V wrote: Sausage was included in the list of meats. It was fresh not frozen. I would've gotten no points if it was frozen. 9x200 is 1800 pts. That's 1600 missing. So yes it is a big deal.
The offer I receive from time to time is for purchasing "fresh beef". Canabiz posted that his/her offer was for "fresh pork". So is there yet another offer for "fresh meat"? As a first time user of the PS Plus card Angela V may have bought a product not included in Loblaws' definition when interpreting the offer carefully.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4782 posts
1327 upvotes
Richmond

BC Honey Garlic 7.00
30% (7.00) -2.10
200 Pts
BC Honey Garlic 6.99
30% (6.99) -2.10

From one point of view it is just like airmiles. Using the airmiles comparison is one way for the cashier to describe it, as some may think the new program is a credit card, so saying that firmly says otherwise. And in some ways it is. You earn airmiles with a collector card and can earn via a credit card just like pc plus points. Then the cashier can go on to explain about loading offers.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2863 posts
2537 upvotes
Vancouveresque
I wish they would update their app to work on the Android L developer preview. It thinks that it is offline the whole time and I have no idea where my physical card is - not that I want to carry it around with me anyways.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
Still having problems getting the bonus points. Last week I got an e-mail basically saying I wasn't tapping the card twice which is untrue because I know I always do and it appears on the transactions list on the website.

When I queried a transaction before the points were added automatically and I got a follow-up e-mail later to confirm this, now it is a waiting game as I made a points query yesterday.

One other thing I noticed is that on some items I get less points. For example I got 2000 pts on every $5 spent on chicken, now it is 1000 pts. I am hoping this isn't the way the programme is going to go :(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)