Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2018 1:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3874 posts
575 upvotes
Richmond
lol people solved that issue by putting their pc plus card on top of their stuff like their cans. Crashes seems to be happening more and more often. Computer used to be fine with small orders but now it seems to crash even with those. Now it even has issues in the middle of a transaction. Crashes are random lol. It's like russian roulette if scanned at the end. If you're lucky it won't crash and if you're not lucky and hit the jackpot the computer decides to crash.
Jan 8, 2011
413 posts
85 upvotes
London
RemedialChaosTheory wrote:
Mar 16th, 2014 3:23 pm
I think cashiers hate that, especially since if they don't see it it's a good way to get your card sucked into the belt. Is the crashing at the end a frequent problem for all the locations? For most of my purchases (Loblaws), I've scanned at the end and never had a problem.
Yeah, I put it on a box or a can, not directly on the belt. I doubt the cashiers at Costco, anyway, hate it, since it means they can just proceed with the next customer rather than waiting for them to show them their card. I've never had a problem with someone not seeing it.

I went to Superstore today. Just short of the $200 for 25000 points. Thought for sure I was there and it was too busy to grab some "top up" items. Annoying. Anyway, I specifically asked the cashier if I had to swipe first, and she said I could do it at any point in the transaction. I did it at the end. So, it sounds like maybe it's just some stores that have problems with computers crashing if you swipe at the end.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3874 posts
575 upvotes
Richmond
I think it may have to do with combing though a large order to award you your points that's causing it. Somehow I'm wondering if maybe the smaller orders at the other stores may be the reason why the computers don't seem to crash. The likelyhood of a crash is smaller with a smaller order. Larger orders has a bigger chance. Seems to be a game of chance on whether or not the computer crash

xD Computer: omg too much data! Can't take it.Too heavy. *dies*
Reality: Cashier sees pc crash. *not again!*
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8035 posts
3789 upvotes
This is such a poorly run/organized program, its not even funny. After my purchase yesterday, I apparently somehow lost 500 points. I could care less about losing them, but its more about the principal. WTF happened to the points? At the same time, according to my app, it says last time I made a purchase was in the middle of December despite me going there countless times since? Ohhh PC. What a joke.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2582 posts
626 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
boyoflondon wrote:
Mar 17th, 2014 10:30 am
This is such a poorly run/organized program, its not even funny. After my purchase yesterday, I apparently somehow lost 500 points. I could care less about losing them, but its more about the principal. WTF happened to the points? At the same time, according to my app, it says last time I made a purchase was in the middle of December despite me going there countless times since? Ohhh PC. What a joke.
How do we know it was Loblaw's fault and not your own?

----------------------------
raywilkins04@gmail.com
raywilkins28@yahoo.com
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12752 posts
5176 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sn02py wrote:
Mar 16th, 2014 4:50 pm
Anyway, I specifically asked the cashier if I had to swipe first, and she said I could do it at any point in the transaction. I did it at the end. So, it sounds like maybe it's just some stores that have problems with computers crashing if you swipe at the end.
I was told by a cashier recently that the original requirement to swipe first to get PC Plus points had been relaxed so that you could do it at any time up to payment. Either way from what I've observed the cashier still has to do something on the register to put the customer card reader into a mode that accepts the PC Plus number. Otherwise the card reader stays in idle mode and doesn't respond. I'm not sure of the details. I'm just reporting what I've been told and what I've seen.

Perhaps the reason some people are reporting crashes when swiping after the grocery transaction has started is that Loblaws rushed this improvement and there's some bug in the code.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 8, 2011
413 posts
85 upvotes
London
bylo wrote:
Mar 17th, 2014 12:18 pm
I was told by a cashier recently that the original requirement to swipe first to get PC Plus points had been relaxed so that you could do it at any time up to payment. Either way from what I've observed the cashier still has to do something on the register to put the customer card reader into a mode that accepts the PC Plus number. Otherwise the card reader stays in idle mode and doesn't respond. I'm not sure of the details.
It really should be automatic, shouldn't it? Have the system ask everyone if they have Pc Plus. If no, proceed to payment function. If yes, swipe then proceed to payment. I believe the self-serve terminals already do this. If Petsmart can ask me if I want to donate to homeless pets each and every time I go, Loblaws' should be able to figure it out. It will be easier for members and have the added bonus of reminding non-members to join.

I suspect this will all happen in time. As I said in the last thread, they had to start somewhere. You never really see all the glitches with something new until it's up and running.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
bluebellrose wrote:
Mar 15th, 2014 2:09 am
Can I present my PC PLUS Card at any time in the transaction?
Unfortunately, the computer doesn't like it when you scan it in the middle or at the end, especially if you have a large order. The computer has a tendency to crash when the pc plus card is scanned at the end. The workaround is to present the card at the beginning of your transaction before the transaction proceeds. Saves everyone a big headache when done at the beginning.

I have never had this happen at all. And I almost always tap after the cashier haas started scanning my items.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1165 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
It would be nice if the website was actually working so I could check my points. It has been down at least since early yesterday morning.
Nov 1, 2013
140 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
cardle wrote:
Mar 18th, 2014 3:59 pm
It would be nice if the website was actually working so I could check my points. It has been down at least since early yesterday morning.
But they're cooking up something great for us ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2008
3711 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
bluebellrose wrote:
Mar 15th, 2014 4:38 pm
lol what about tnt? Do they give bonus points for bringing own bags?
The bonus is if you can find someone working there that speaks English - I realize the target audience is Chinese people, but a lot of the staff don't even have a rudimentary grasp of English and just start speaking to me in Cantonese if I ask them something in English
kaliman wrote:
Mar 15th, 2014 7:11 pm
Need a physical card or smart phone when checking out.
Some stores it's difficult to receive a signal to even bring up the app. I always have to use the cashiers closest to the entrance at Maple Leaf Gardens because that's the only place I can get any reception.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3874 posts
575 upvotes
Richmond
probably depends on area. Richmond one seems to be a little better due to pricesmart competition. I did notice all who had basic English all jumped ship when the tnt buyer went to overwaitea group. lol. better wages and structured increases. yeah I can see them jumping.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2012
1544 posts
439 upvotes
cardle wrote:
Mar 18th, 2014 3:59 pm
It's working for me and was working last night when I logged in too.