Shopping Discussion

Locked: PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:14 am
Dec 4, 2016
358 posts
207 upvotes
Montreal
aqnd wrote: That's what I figured, too. But some things it works and others it doesn't.
A 1.97 item might count as "$2" and two 1.97 (3.94) of another counts as "$4", which matches. But then two of something else another time counts only as "$3"...

I gave up trying to figure it out. Not going to overbuy to get points, just count them as bonus if I'm a few pennies short from the number.
They use the standard " rounding " mathematic laws. 1.96/1.97 become 1.95. 1.98/1.99 become 2$. It's pretty simple. That's why you didn't get the points when you only spent 3.94$ because it was rounded to 3.95$ and not 4$.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2894 posts
829 upvotes
Ontario
MontrealParis wrote: They use the standard " rounding " mathematic laws. 1.96/1.97 become 1.95. 1.98/1.99 become 2$. It's pretty simple. That's why you didn't get the points when you only spent 3.94$ because it was rounded to 3.95$ and not 4$.
I could swear that they've counted $1.97 as $2 for me in the past.

Here's another example: bought 8 X $2.99 = $23.92 and got (800 points/$4) X 6 = 4,800 points.

So you wouldn't expect them to round $23.92 to $24 but in this case I got the full points as if I spent $24.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Dec 4, 2016
358 posts
207 upvotes
Montreal
minimalist wrote: I could swear that they've counted $1.97 as $2 for me in the past.

Here's another example: bought 8 X $2.99 = $23.92 and got (800 points/$4) X 6 = 4,800 points.

So you wouldn't expect them to round $23.92 to $24 but in this case I got the full points as if I spent $24.
Yeah that's just weird lol

Alright then I admit that their system makes no sense. You could always try to submit a claim through the app. That's what I do when I think I'm missing points. It's a really quick process.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2894 posts
829 upvotes
Ontario
MontrealParis wrote: Yeah that's just weird lol

Alright then I admit that their system makes no sense. You could always try to submit a claim through the app. That's what I do when I think I'm missing points. It's a really quick process.
Yeah, I often submit claims via their app and they're always automatically approved. Hope I'm not flagged for "excessive claims"!
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Dec 4, 2016
358 posts
207 upvotes
Montreal
minimalist wrote: Yeah, I often submit claims via their app and they're always automatically approved. Hope I'm not flagged for "excessive claims"!
They're not automatically approved. They give you the points first before they verify your claim but there's always an actual human being who ends up verifying it.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2499 posts
1214 upvotes
minimalist wrote: I could swear that they've counted $1.97 as $2 for me in the past.

It is not unreasonable that the $2.99 is rounded to $3 before you multiply by 8. By the way, when I first joined the program, I was constantly writing to them to complain about how they were rounding down/truncating, and when they stated "That's 20% in pts!" it was misleading and false. I would like to think that they listened to me, because after a while they started rounding up.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18314 posts
10896 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
akaManny wrote: they stated "That's 20% in pts!" it was misleading and false
That's true most of the time with their nnn pts for every $1 even with nickel rounding. "Most" means at least 97% of the time, i.e. when you buy $x.01, $x.02... $x.97 of an item the effective points rate is less than 20% (or 10% or whatever they claim for that offer.) And it's even worse with nnn pts for every $2 (or $more) offers.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1534 posts
5389 upvotes
Toronto
amberjill wrote: Hmmm... the new m/c number is already linked under "pc plus cards", as I entered existing membership number on credit card application... I'll wait till the mastercard is in hand and activated to see if the problem still persists after. Thanks though!
My experience:

I got a PCF MC last year and also had my existing PC Plus # on the application.
When I received the MC in the mail I called PC Plus to link...they advised it was too soon...could not see MC in system yet...call back in a few weeks.
A few weeks later I called in and they advised I was now linked.
I realized points from PC MC were not posting but did not get around to calling (PC Plus) until yesterday.
I was surprised that my request to link was not so simple...but it is now done. Maybe the employee was new. The end result of the call is that I can earn points by scanning my PC Points card and earn AND redeem using my PC MC. I believe there were other options. Activity from both now shows in my pcplus.ca account.
My offers on PC points changed once account was linked.

(Sorry if this was covered before in this thread, I have not read it all)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2691 upvotes
ON
MontrealParis wrote: They use the standard " rounding " mathematic laws. 1.96/1.97 become 1.95. 1.98/1.99 become 2$. It's pretty simple. That's why you didn't get the points when you only spent 3.94$ because it was rounded to 3.95$ and not 4$.
You're missing half my examples - I've had an equivalent situation both round up AND round down.
When they should have been treated the same.
But you're correct, and I would not have reasonably expected one ending at .94 to round to the whole dollar, but I have had such situations.
Similarly, 5x.99 items counted as a pts/$5 offer, and other items haven't.
It seems some items are rounded first and then added, and others are added first and then rounded. Or they just do whatever they want.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11630 posts
8862 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PRODUCT UPDATE

From my post here last week:
PointsHubby wrote:
NEW Products (2 Offers)
- Dave's Killer Bread = 5500 Points
- Marketplace Cuisine = 3000 Points
By far our best deals were on the the 2 NEW Products.  For both we got points that were => than what they cost.  The Dave's Killer Bread was $ 5.49 (earned 5500 points) and the Marketplace Cuisine was $ 2.99 (earned 3000 points).  So essentially both were FREE.  Figured at that price we would try them.  This is the first time we've ever got a deal this good on trying a NEW Product.
Will let you guys know what we think of both products after we try them.
For Dave's Killer Bread we bought the green wrapper... "Organic 21 Whole Grains & Seeds", there were 2 options on this loaf at my store, Regular Slice or Thin Sliced.  We went with the Regular Sliced.  Approximately 15 slices in a 765 gram loaf.

This is a "heavier" bread with 5 grams of Protein, 5 grams of Fibre, and 22 grams of Whole Grains per slice, and 120 calories.  It toasted up nice, and delivered a pleasant nutty sweet taste. I thought that might be because there was honey in the mix, but label says molasses.  We've moved the loaf from the counter to the fridge, and now the freezer, in hopes of being able to enjoy the entire loaf.  It was that good.

Would I buy again?  Ya probably, but at the listed regular price at $ 5.49 it is certainly not cheap.

For Marketplace Cuisine we bought the Vermont & White Cheddar Mac & Cheese... High Protein, 75% Organic Ingredients.  Back of the box says this is a Nestlé product.  The microwave only tray is 225 grams and delivers 270 calories.  As we only had the one, we decided to serve it up as a side between us.  We both thought it tasty.  And it was easy to prepare, smelled good & presented well.  Will say tho at 225 grams this is a pretty small portion, even for 1 person.  Think one would want at the least a Salad to accompany it.  So might be good for a take to work lunch, or someone watching their calories.  Mind you the Sodium number was not good at 730 mg (21% of recommended daily intake) but that is common for these heat & serve dishes.  Overall thought it was an excellent Mac & Cheese though.

Would we buy again?

Ya probably.  At a regular price of $ 2.99 we thought it good value for the quality, especially compared to other such microwaveable single serve meals.  And it definitely delivered on taste, and thats a lot to be said for this food sector.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2499 posts
1214 upvotes
aqnd wrote: You're missing half my examples - I've had an equivalent situation both round up AND round down.
When they should have been treated the same.
But you're correct, and I would not have reasonably expected one ending at .94 to round to the whole dollar, but I have had such situations.
Similarly, 5x.99 items counted as a pts/$5 offer, and other items haven't.
It seems some items are rounded first and then added, and others are added first and then rounded. Or they just do whatever they want.
3 examples from recent purchases:
a. 3 x $1.97 = $5.91, rounded up to $6.
b. 1 x $9.74, truncated to $9.
c. $4.63 + $4.60 + $4.59 = $13.82, rounded up to $14. That one was a surprise.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2691 upvotes
ON
Yeah, it's the ones like c that make no sense compared to others.
Just when you think you have it figured out, they throw ones like that in.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6769 posts
1425 upvotes
4000 points when you spend $20 in produce is back tomorrow. Does anybody know if the vinaigrettes like Lighthouse and Renee's are included in this offer.

This week I found out the sushi trays are included in hot or chilled meals to go offers.

I have a Renee's offer and would like to stack it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6435 posts
2690 upvotes
bonterra wrote: 4000 points when you spend $20 in produce is back tomorrow. Does anybody know if the vinaigrettes like Lighthouse and Renee's are included in this offer.

This week I found out the sushi trays are included in hot or chilled meals to go offers.

My experience is that they are...also fresh juice and some nuts and dried fruit are considered produce.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11630 posts
8862 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bonterra wrote: 4000 points when you spend $20 in produce is back tomorrow. Does anybody know if the vinaigrettes like Lighthouse and Renee's are included in this offer.

First off, read the fine print on the offer (click on it)

Usually the produce ones will list the other items that are covered... Refrigerated Dips, Dressings, & Juices is what I seem to recall.

The offers for Hot & Cold Meals To Go don't say much... But I've discovered that offer covers... The Ready to Eat Rotisserie Chicken Bar, Pizza Counter etc - the Soup Bar - the Counter with the Deli Served Salads (and other cold items to take home to heat up) - the island with Ready to Eat Green Salads (same place they make the platters & squeezed juices) - the two or 3 islands lined with Fresh Pasta, Sauces, St Hubert Pot Pies, Heat & Serve Lasagna Trays etc - and the Sushi area

When we get a Hot & Cold Meaks to Go offer, we truly make the most of it. Maybe take home some Sushi & a Rotisserie Chicken for that night, but pick up a Premixed Green Salad & self serve Potatoe Salad for the next days Lunch, and then also buy a Fresh Pasta for later in the week, and a Pot Pie for the Freezer (as much of this stuff, never goes on sale otherwise).