Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2018 1:15 am
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10042 posts
398 upvotes
Moncton, NB
I'm getting ~15 offers a week no bonus offers where most of the offers am getting are pretty bad, both in value and in the actual offer. Hell, I've had a couple of groceries in the past few months where I earned 0 points. What I've also been noticing is that in-store some items say they come with points but then when you checkout they don't give you the points.

I think this is like most points program, they start off with a bang and then go down in quality when people are accustomed to it. I spent all my points on black Friday and since then I've only accumulated ~12k points which includes using the PC Mastercard so I've decided to stop actively collecting.
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12320 posts
4718 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Feneant wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 6:40 am
What I've also been noticing is that in-store some items say they come with points but then when you checkout they don't give you the points.
You can do a Points Inquiry using either the PC Plus website or smartphone app. They usually respond in minutes and give you the points you asked for 99+% of the time.

The app is actually most convenient because a lot of details about your transactions are prefilled, including the lengthy receipt number. I've applied for missing points moments after leaving the store and seen them added to my account by the time I got to my car.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 1, 2006
42 posts
5 upvotes
newfbc wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 1:20 pm
Dammit.. I forgot to save my offers last night! ugh. :/

Ron.
sorry, new to this thread, i looked back a couple of pages and didn't see anything. how do you save offers from one week to the next? and if you carry over the offers does it give you fewer the next week?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1850 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 7:12 am
You can do a Points Inquiry using either the PC Plus website or smartphone app. They usually respond in minutes and give you the points you asked for 99+% of the time.

The app is actually most convenient because a lot of details about your transactions are prefilled, including the lengthy receipt number. I've applied for missing points moments after leaving the store and seen them added to my account by the time I got to my car.
It's really fast and efficient. I used to get worked up if the points didn't show up and go to customer service, now I don't even bother to check until home and just send a "missing points" request through the app if I don't get the points I should have, mostly it updates immediately and an email follows later letting me know that the missing points have been credited.
Jan 1, 2006
42 posts
5 upvotes
also wondering if anybody on this thread is in the insiders subscription program where you get more points for subscribing? i just got an invite for the program yesterday and i'm pretty sure it will be worth it to subscribe, it will pay for my click and collect at the very least. right now i usually pick up my superstore groceries once or twice a month, so i lose out on lots of points, but if it costs a fixed amt for the click and collect thru the subscription program, i can pick up my groceries weekly in a premium 5$ timeslot and take advantage of more of the points bonuses.

it says 20% points on pc organics, does anyone know if that includes the 'free from' meat lines? they're lumped under organics on the click and collect shopping website.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3972 posts
2072 upvotes
t_moss wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:16 am
sorry, new to this thread, i looked back a couple of pages and didn't see anything. how do you save offers from one week to the next? and if you carry over the offers does it give you fewer the next week?

Thanks
First off you can only do it if you have the app
And, you have to do it BEFORE your offers rollover / load for the next week
(ie Ontario residents BEFORE Midnight Thursday going into Friday)
If you SWIPE LEFT on any offer, underneath you have 2 choices
DELETE or DELAY

DELAY means the offer will roll over for the next week
You can DELAY any offer up to 3 consequetive week’s
Of course when you use the offer... it will disappear
You can DELAY up to 3 Offers per week

When you DELAY an offer it rolls into next weeks list
And counts in your total
So if you normally get 20 Offers in a week
If you DELAYED 3 from last week, you’ll see 17 NEW Ones

DELETE means the offer will be removed from your rotation
Unless you buy it again

Change your mind ?
You can unclick / unswipe any DELAYED Offer up until the Midnight Rollover

cc = @newfbc
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 9th, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 1, 2006
42 posts
5 upvotes
Thank you, that sounds very useful! i'm just putting the app onto my phone now. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3972 posts
2072 upvotes
t_moss wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:27 am
also wondering if anybody on this thread is in the insiders subscription program where you get more points for subscribing? i just got an invite for the program yesterday and i'm pretty sure it will be worth it to subscribe, it will pay for my click and collect at the very least. right now i usually pick up my superstore groceries once or twice a month, so i lose out on lots of points, but if it costs a fixed amt for the click and collect thru the subscription program, i can pick up my groceries weekly in a premium 5$ timeslot and take advantage of more of the points bonuses.

it says 20% points on pc organics, does anyone know if that includes the 'free from' meat lines? they're lumped under organics on the click and collect shopping website.
There’s a whole thread dedicated to that subject here
pc-insiders-paid-membership-99-per-year ... h-2144938/
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
3972 posts
2072 upvotes
t_moss wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:39 am
Thank you, that sounds very useful! i'm just putting the app onto my phone now. :)
One of the best features of the PC Plus App
Very useful to manipulate offers to your advantage

Some folks even check the up & coming Flyer to see what’s on Sale / Bonus etc for the following week
Then DELAY so they can stack Offers, or double dip with sales etc
Sep 9, 2017
447 posts
240 upvotes
Winnipeg
t_moss wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:27 am
right now i usually pick up my superstore groceries once or twice a month, so i lose out on lots of points, but if it costs a fixed amt for the click and collect thru the subscription program, i can pick up my groceries weekly in a premium 5$ timeslot and take advantage of more of the points bonuses.
Good strategy!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8800 posts
3297 upvotes
Toronto
So I got over 50k of Optimum points. Should I wait for the conversion or just spend it? What do you think?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1444 posts
563 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:48 pm
So I got over 50k of Optimum points. Should I wait for the conversion or just spend it? What do you think?
As someone who knows the details on the program - if you have more than roughly $40, it's best to spend them now.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4630 posts
241 upvotes
canoek wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 2:42 pm
As someone who knows the details on the program - if you have more than roughly $40, it's best to spend them now.
Why not wait until the conversion to PC Optimum points, which is when the points will become more versatile in that they can be used at Loblaws/Superstore?
Oct 14, 2017
406 posts
203 upvotes
GTA
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:48 pm
IMO, it depends on how you value the redemption opportunities that are or become available to you before the end of the month. Just considering dollars and cents in the abstract is a theoretical exercise whereas in practice, few people if any make all their purchase decisions only based on cost, with no consideration of perceived value, brand preference, etc.

Personally, I'm well aware that I get the top exchange rate if I have at least 95k points at month end, and I'm over that level now. But this doesn't mean I won't consider redeeming no matter what. It just slightly raises how appealing a redemption opportunity has to be for me to take it.

You also have to decide for yourself how "worth it" it would be to buy enough stuff to reach 95k. Again, this doesn't have to be strictly decided based on the $ involved. You can and possibly should factor in personal and/or subjective considerations. As a simple example, it would be a poor idea to reach 95k by buying stuff on credit if you aren't in a position to pay off your next invoice in full.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)