Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 7:29 am
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4389 posts
927 upvotes
Alberta
Has anyone tried to send out an invite to the Household? I sent out invites from 3 different accounts to 6 different email address and none of the invites show up. I even send invites to my own email address and nothing. 6hrs later and still no emails show up. Unreal, it seems like nothing works in this new PCO program.
Feb 1, 2018
437 posts
392 upvotes
Montréal
KellyM133398 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 11:47 pm
Wow. Just wow. And I suppose they're self-reporting that closed ticket as a successful problem resolution.
“Make no mistake, we are pleased with the conversion, as are the vast majority of our members,” said company spokesperson Catherine Thomas.
'Nuff said.
Nov 13, 2017
80 posts
38 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 11:49 pm
Has anyone tried to send out an invite to the Household? I sent out invites from 3 different accounts to 6 different email address and none of the invites show up. I even send invites to my own email address and nothing. 6hrs later and still no emails show up. Unreal, it seems like nothing works in this new PCO program.
Log in your account, then go to Household, you'll see all the members' name listed there. On the right side, there is a button to click (Edit function). After doing that, you should be able to see Copy the invitation link , and you just email the link to the person that you want to add to your household. It can by pass PC's notification email system
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4389 posts
927 upvotes
Alberta
Thanks DGSSSG, worked great. Finally was able to link the accounts.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1745 posts
610 upvotes
Victoria
Does anyone know if I can redeem points at the same time as earning points from the app offers?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4805 posts
2601 upvotes
MaxPower19 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:34 am
Does anyone know if I can redeem points at the same time as earning points from the app offers?
Yes... as long as the points you redeem are available prior to purchase in your account

So if you earn 10,000 on this purchase but have 50,000 in your account and it’s a $ 50 order you are good

But if you earn 10,000 on this purchase, but only have 30,000 in your account prior to this purchase transaction, and it’s a $ 50 order, then the max you can redeem is 30,000 = $ 30
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
1718 posts
557 upvotes
Canada
My cards are now linked but in the app under “card” it still shows my old PC Plus card number, not the new card number? The new card is listed in the accounts section though...
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1481 posts
287 upvotes
St. John's
Really not impressed so far - had a couple decent Shoppers offers which disappeared before they were even supposed to be live and haven't seen any more since. The program is much more like the old PC program than Optimum. I found PC to be useless and really hard to build a balance in, but I did very well with Optimum...

Unless something changes dramatically, I think I'll cash out my ~$180 worth of points (all but ~$4 came from Shoppers) and forget about it.
Oct 14, 2017
580 posts
329 upvotes
GTA
Chew300ZX wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:04 am
Unless something changes dramatically, I think I'll cash out my ~$180 worth of points (all but ~$4 came from Shoppers) and forget about it.
It's not clear yet that we're seeing the Shoppers side of PCO operating as intended. While I wait to see if the current situation will change, I'm delaying purchases of things I don't need to buy immediately, and cashing out some of my points when I do buy things to keep my OOP to a minimum.
Nov 26, 2015
696 posts
404 upvotes
Ontario
Chew300ZX wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:04 am
Really not impressed so far - had a couple decent Shoppers offers which disappeared before they were even supposed to be live and haven't seen any more since. The program is much more like the old PC program than Optimum. I found PC to be useless and really hard to build a balance in, but I did very well with Optimum...
Although I agree with you with Shoppers offers easier to build a balance, but I wouldn't say the PC portion is useless. What other program gives you consistently about 10% or more return on a specific grocery item. Yes certain items I do not buy, but at odd times I do since it is very generic. Ex. Eggs, bread, water, butter, PC coffee, chips, etc.

I first thought the PC program was garbage when I joined 3 months ago since no base points, but I managed to rack up points pretty fast just using bonus offers. Remember that the offers are usually x amount of points for EVERY x$. Ex. I got an offer for Pane Freshco pizza 200 per dollar. 1 slice cost $4, got 800 points. That is equivalent to spending $80 on a 1% credit card but I only spent $4.

Some other offers OUTSIDE the personalize offers were:
Past offer: 4000 points for every $20 in produce
No Frills: 2000 points for every $20 spent on fresh meat
Superstore: 3000 points for every $10 on monster beverage
All Loblaw stores:
3000 points for every $10 on delissio pizza
3000 points for every $10 on Quaker products or cereal

I think these offers are awesome if you are shopping for a family of 2 or more. So far most of my points from Shoppers and PC stores, I have received on average 20% for every dollar spent.
Last edited by Etabol on Feb 13th, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4805 posts
2601 upvotes
Jonric wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:02 am
It's not clear yet that we're seeing the Shoppers side of PCO operating as intended. While I wait to see if the current situation will change, I'm delaying purchases of things I don't need to buy immediately, and cashing out some of my points when I do buy things to keep my OOP to a minimum.
This

The first week I only got Life Brand Vitamins as one of my 10 generic / any store offers
SO’s was for Life Brand Bandages

Week 2, it was clear my Shopping History caught up with me
I also did some shopping... all my offers improved

This week, I am getting NEW Shoppers Offers regularly... beginning to look a lot like what I got before the merge via SDM Optimum

So my tips remain
1- Be patient. The instant merge offers are generic
2- Your Shopping History from the computers will catch up with on the 2nd Cycle (Offers Load on Thursdays)
3- USE YOUR CARD ... things definitely got better the more I used my card
4- if using the PCO APP turn your NOTIFICATIONS to ON... so you can get offers on an ongoing basis PUSHED out to you
Nov 26, 2015
696 posts
404 upvotes
Ontario
Like above poster mentioned, keep scanning your card. They need a shopping history and the offers start to be tailored. I kind of like the way SDM offers are now posted BEFORE it becomes active, it gives you time to plan. However I did have 1 offer I was going to use disappear on day it was suppose to go live.

Also if notification is not one, check your app every day, they sometimes post a FLASH offer for SDM that is good only for that day.

I had 1 offer not work correctly. I went into the app and did a points inquiry. Got my points added same day.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
4555 posts
1076 upvotes
Not sure if it was mentioned on here yet or not ...

But in my account at individual product offers ... - when click on details, there are two buttons - "Don't need the offer this week, save it for next week?" ... and "Don't want to see this kind of offer again? press the button".

I have those buttons operational for all of my individual offers ... but in my mother's account, those buttons are there but not operational for some reason ..

In any case ... as weekly offers expiring soon, I just decided to try and use this feature ... to maybe save some good offers for next week.

Did 1st offer - no problem, 2nd - no problem, 3rd - no problem, 4th - no problem (all four of those offers disappeared from current offers, and I saw they greyish / black and white at the bottom of offers list ... says "available in 2 days" for them etc.

In any case,

When I went to 5th offer ... and it looked decent enough to me (to "save for next week") ... I clicked on "Save for next week" button ... but wasn't able to complete this command for it. The system replied to me: "Sorry, you can’t defer more than four offers at once"

So FOUR seems to be the limit ( current limit .. maybe permanent limit for this (?) )

Just figured, will mention it on here ... in case it wasn't mentioned before.

Gonna try to "delete" / remove some offers now that don't look too attractive to me ... -- so they don't show up in the future possibly ... -- will report.

P.S.

Just clicked on "don't want to see these kind of offer(s) again?" button at one of my offers that didn't look too attractive to me possibly ... and WAS ABLE to perform this -- looks like this offer is gone now .. and I have one less offer after doing so.

Didn't try to "permanently" remove some more offers now (to see if there also was some sort of limit on doing this) ... as the rest of remaining offers look decent enough to possibly use some day in the future. :)
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10217 posts
496 upvotes
Mississauga
Etabol wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:50 am
Although I agree with you with Shoppers offers easier to build a balance, but I wouldn't say the PC portion is useless. What other program gives you consistently about 10% or more return on a specific grocery item. Yes certain items I do not buy, but at odd times I do since it is very generic. Ex. Eggs, bread, water, butter, PC coffee, chips, etc.

I first thought the PC program was garbage when I joined 3 months ago since no base points, but I managed to rack up points pretty fast just using bonus offers. Remember that the offers are usually x amount of points for EVERY x$. Ex. I got an offer for Pane Freshco pizza 200 per dollar. 1 slice cost $4, got 800 points. That is equivalent to spending $80 on a 1% credit card but I only spent $4.

Some other offers OUTSIDE the personalize offers were:
Past offer: 4000 points for every $20 in produce
No Frills: 2000 points for every $20 spent on fresh meat
Superstore: 3000 points for every $10 on monster beverage
All Loblaw stores:
3000 points for every $10 on delissio pizza
3000 points for every $10 on Quaker products or cereal

I think these offers are awesome if you are shopping for a family of 2 or more. So far most of my points from Shoppers and PC stores, I have received on average 20% for every dollar spent.
I recall reading an article in the paper last week that cautioned people to be careful when it comes to this program specifically. You can start getting your mind locked into favour PC stores without looking around to do competitive shopping. The 10% return with pts can get you to quickly overspend and also to forget to check the competition's prices. Price matching sometimes helps but don't forget that should take precedence over PC pts.

I site your "3000 points for every $10 on delissio pizza". Firstly, you quickly overlook that it is for the Rustico and Think varieties only. It is quick for someone to quickly overbuy to meet their $10 minimum and then realize afterwards they never got their points because they thought it was any delissio pizza. Then you are left with pizzas you wouldn't have bought.

Also, great timing because these thin variety isn't on sale at any PC brand store this week (the non-Thin variety ones are on sale). I think these are $5.99 when not on sale. You'll buy two for $12 and then get $3 in pts, making it $9. Meanwhile these are typically on sale nearly every week somewhere (metro, freshco, loblaws, etc) (except this week) for $2.99. I consider this the base-price for this. If I can't price match it because it isn't on sale for $2.99, I ain't buying it since these things are over-inflated in price. If you buy them when they are on sale, suddenly your 2 pizzas that cost you $9 this week (adjusting for the points returned) only cost you $6 any-other-week. Case in point you are at a disadvantage this week.

I came across a news article a friend sent me proclaiming the PC Optimum has had the biggest PC giveback promotions in the PC Plus history (specifically because of all these bonus pts offers). Easy to get duped.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9002 posts
1699 upvotes
I never got a milk offer this week, so shoppers lost out on a weekly milk sale from me. I had that offer every week for the last year.

Thread Information

There are currently 39 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 38 guests)

AllenWayne