Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2018 2:20 pm
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
4267 posts
955 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:50 am
I never got a milk offer this week, so shoppers lost out on a weekly milk sale from me. I had that offer every week for the last year.
Same for me ... and for my mother's offers.

We always had Milk before ... and during first week after transition as well ....

We never used the milk last week however (as we often did in the past), as we didn't need it (not me, not she) .. Neither me nor my mother ...

This week we weren't given milk offer at all .. :( ... 20X as it was in the past. (in the past we always had it ... she and me respectively, regardless if we used it or not last week.

Hopefully it will come back ...

Only time will show.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8160 posts
8052 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
I never got a milk offer this week, so shoppers lost out on a weekly milk sale from me. I had that offer every week for the last year.
Same here. No SDM 20x milk offer since Feb 1.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
1x Zoomer $36 loyalty plan, 1x Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 numbers $117($72 + 2x$22.5)
Nov 26, 2015
685 posts
397 upvotes
Ontario
dmdsoftware2 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:48 am
I recall reading an article in the paper last week that cautioned people to be careful when it comes to this program specifically. You can start getting your mind locked into favour PC stores without looking around to do competitive shopping. The 10% return with pts can get you to quickly overspend and also to forget to check the competition's prices. Price matching sometimes helps but don't forget that should take precedence over PC pts.

I site your "3000 points for every $10 on delissio pizza". Firstly, you quickly overlook that it is for the Rustico and Think varieties only. It is quick for someone to quickly overbuy to meet their $10 minimum and then realize afterwards they never got their points because they thought it was any delissio pizza. Then you are left with pizzas you wouldn't have bought.

Also, great timing because these thin variety isn't on sale at any PC brand store this week (the non-Thin variety ones are on sale). I think these are $5.99 when not on sale. You'll buy two for $12 and then get $3 in pts, making it $9. Meanwhile these are typically on sale nearly every week somewhere (metro, freshco, loblaws, etc) (except this week) for $2.99. I consider this the base-price for this. If I can't price match it because it isn't on sale for $2.99, I ain't buying it since these things are over-inflated in price. If you buy them when they are on sale, suddenly your 2 pizzas that cost you $9 this week (adjusting for the points returned) only cost you $6 any-other-week. Case in point you are at a disadvantage this week.

I came across a news article a friend sent me proclaiming the PC Optimum has had the biggest PC giveback promotions in the PC Plus history (specifically because of all these bonus pts offers). Easy to get duped.
Yup I know. However I always adjust for the discount. If the points accrued does not BEAT a sale price otherwise, I will not buy it. The pizza example is in the flyer, it is a nice offer but I did not buy it, I honestly prefer Dr. Oetker. I still have pizza from the Sobey's shop the block time. That offer was better, $14 for 4 pizza. (get 75 BAM), I also redeemed 95AM for $10 off which counted as a shop the block offer) It is just nice to have these for when I do want them sometimes. I only buy things on sale and always try to stack it.

AM offers. AM at Sobeys, Metro, Foodland. (Base AM, BAMs, Personalize daily offers)
PCOptimum for Nofrills, Fortinos, Loblaw, etc

Combine both and you are pretty good with freebie points for groceries.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1739 posts
513 upvotes
Etabol wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:29 am
Yup I know. However I always adjust for the discount. If the points accrued does not BEAT a sale price otherwise, I will not buy it. The pizza example is in the flyer, it is a nice offer but I did not buy it, I honestly prefer Dr. Oetker. I still have pizza from the Sobey's shop the block time. That offer was better, $14 for 4 pizza. (get 75 BAM), I also redeemed 95AM for $10 off which counted as a shop the block offer) It is just nice to have these for when I do want them sometimes. I only buy things on sale and always try to stack it.

AM offers. AM at Sobeys, Metro, Foodland. (Base AM, BAMs, Personalize daily offers)
PCOptimum for Nofrills, Fortinos, Loblaw, etc

Combine both and you are pretty good with freebie points for groceries.
I always try to focus on supply and demand. If there is a lot of demand in my family for pizza, and there is, I take advantage of the pizza offer. Yes, it is true that I might be able to buy the pizza elsewhere (outside of PC Optimum) for a little bit less, perhaps even after figuring the points earned. However, if I stop receiving these offers because I stop redeeming, and my freezer is empty and the demand for pizza is there, I will regret saving a few cents and later paying more for regular priced pizza. I think that this is the 'win win' that Loblaws is counting on.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2005
2057 posts
73 upvotes
This week, I've only got offers resembling the old PC plus ones for very specific produce, but NONE of the Shoppers Optimum style offers. Is this happening to most people? I don't think I can even purchase half these things at Shoppers.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4133 posts
2175 upvotes
akaManny wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:01 pm
I always try to focus on supply and demand. If there is a lot of demand in my family for pizza, and there is, I take advantage of the pizza offer. Yes, it is true that I might be able to buy the pizza elsewhere (outside of PC Optimum) for a little bit less, perhaps even after figuring the points earned. However, if I stop receiving these offers because I stop redeeming, and my freezer is empty and the demand for pizza is there, I will regret saving a few cents and later paying more for regular priced pizza. I think that this is the 'win win' that Loblaws is counting on.
Definitely ONE of the strategies from studying their Customers Shopping Habits

Lots of folks are pressed for time... so don’t shop around too much... just one store and done

There are enough Points Offers / Promotions / Bonus Earn or Redeem Events to keep the average customer happy and seeing some where in the 5% to 10% Range in Points on Spending

Then there are the folks who have the time, or make the time, to plan out their Grocery Shopping by reading the flyers, and / or meal planning, making a list etc

The really dedicated ones, are strategic shoppers who buy most of their items on sale / Promotion... or via Price Matching, or hitting more than one store Brand / Chain.

Sure it’s more work... but very worthwhile if one has the time... these folks are the ones getting not only the best bang for their bucks... but also a lot of extras by maximizing out the Loyalty Reward Programs (higher than the norm... higher than 10% ... much higher)
Jul 27, 2016
229 posts
181 upvotes
Since Thursday I’m getting “Sorry, an unknown error has occurred” with zero Offers after logging in. App or website give the same error.
Points balance is accurate so I believe I’m properly logged in.

I thought it would resolve itself but no charge after 5 days. Figured I’d have to call in. When I call in it says “estimated wait time is greater than 60 mins.”

Does anyone know how to correct the problem without calling in? Is chat better/faster than phone?

If phone is best, when is the best time to call?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1082 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
Two data points:

1. Went to SDM yesterday with my mom. When ringing up our purchases, cashier asked for the optimum card and I told her my mom has the PC Mastercard. She told me to swipe first for points and then asked again to tap to pay. Receipt gave the correct total of points (mom had a 5000 points bonus coupon + 15x rounded subtotal amount).

2. Went to SDM today to take advantage of friends and family 20% off, the cashier just told me if I paid with my PC Mastercard, the bonus points will be there. She didn't ask me to swipe the first time to check my point balance, only asked me to pay with the credit card. Receipt only says "you could have earned ____ points with PC Optimum"

My question... did the cashier in the second scenario mess up??? I can't see this most recent transaction yet so I have no idea how many points I just earned (either $15 x 10 points or 15 x 15?) I don't mind submitting a points inquiry but... ugh. Why can't they be consistent???
Oct 14, 2017
452 posts
250 upvotes
GTA
rocking23nf wrote:
It's pretty clear that the offer generation / purchase history part of PCO isn't working well, especially for the Shoppers portion. Unfortunately. I doubt there's anything productive we can do about it. I expect they'll get it working better / properly; I just have no idea how soon.
Feb 1, 2018
218 posts
209 upvotes
Montréal
PierreS299131 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:32 pm
Since Thursday I’m getting “Sorry, an unknown error has occurred” with zero Offers after logging in. App or website give the same error.

I thought it would resolve itself but no charge after 5 days. Figured I’d have to call in. When I call in it says “estimated wait time is greater than 60 mins.”

Does anyone know how to correct the problem without calling in? Is chat better/faster than phone?

If phone is best, when is the best time to call?
Same issue here. I don't think they will do anything on the phone about it either. Seems to be a technical problem on their side, and they aren't even acknowledging it, let alone resolving it.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12565 posts
4921 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Re offer deferrals, new this week:
1. You can now defer 4 offers, not just 3 as in the past.
2. When you defer an offer it gets greyed out and pushed to the bottom of the offer list so you can see it.

It continues to be important to check that you get credited with bonus points. I had an offer of 200 pts per $1 on fresh pork. Bought some pork chops but didn't get the 2,000 points I should have. $2 in points isn't chump change. Inquiry in progress.

Added: And the "bug" where after you do a points inquiry and they give you the missing points, the original offer remains in effect. Alas because of 1. above I can't defer the pork.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 11, 2016
336 posts
163 upvotes
Halifax
I think at SDM they may have to tap twice... either once with the card/ keyfob or phone and then to pay with the MC.

Not sure... but we had the same thing " you could have had XXXX PC Optimum points " yada yada... when it was tapped once.
Someone mentioned the cashiers use of F8 - it may be a training thing.

Ok ... I tried to link PC WE MC again last night and again now. Same Error :
Sorry, we couldn’t verify your account
Please contact 1-866-727-6468

It is funny that when you call this is repeats 95 times to go to the website and this is where you these directions.

Ok broke the Household yesterday to try a different thing to link this card....

Lost all the 33 offers and had 13 totally new ones.
Only one SDM- and that was for Diapers/ Formula which I have not used in 20 years.
I think it is back to the generic ones... as most of the items are not what I would normally purchase.

Since linking this particular PCWE MC does not work. I am actually thinking of applying for another one. This time with myself as the MAIN cardholder. It may be a while but this may be the only thing that works. Linking the current one is obviously insolvable from an IT bug issue.
Sep 23, 2011
157 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
rdiamond1 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:37 pm
Since linking this particular PCWE MC does not work. I am actually thinking of applying for another one. This time with myself as the MAIN cardholder. It may be a while but this may be the only thing that works. Linking the current one is obviously insolvable from an IT bug issue.
If all you need is to collect points to primary account - I guess you could use your credit card to pay and one of primary's PCO cards to tap for points before paying, no?
Aug 9, 2015
155 posts
57 upvotes
Sylvan Lake, AB
Like other's said, I did not get the milk offer for the first time in months. No xxxx points for $xx purchases and no 20x points. In fact, no Shopper's offers at all this week.
Nov 3, 2016
114 posts
82 upvotes
PierreS299131 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:32 pm

I have the same issue. Today I saw their online chat was available (it wasn't the other couple of times tried). I clicked it and the popup said I was #10 in queue, then 9, a few minutes later 8... it counted down until it just said "you are in queue" and stayed like that for 25 minutes. I tabbed to the PC Optimum page and it said live chat is currently unavailable. A few minutes later it was available again, I clicked the button, it said it was connecting me to a PC Optimum Ambassador... then it said Your Chat Session has ended, and live chat was unavailable.

Anyway, persistence pays off, I kept trying since I was sitting at the computer anyway, and eventually I got a PC Optimum Ambassador. He explained that the errors are a system glitch they know about and are currently fixing, and while I have no offers this week, it should be resolved when they push out new offers on Thursday. And he credited me 2,000 points for the inconvenience.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

Allen84