Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 7:29 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3886 posts
578 upvotes
Richmond
diav wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:36 pm
Two data points:

1. Went to SDM yesterday with my mom. When ringing up our purchases, cashier asked for the optimum card and I told her my mom has the PC Mastercard. She told me to swipe first for points and then asked again to tap to pay. Receipt gave the correct total of points (mom had a 5000 points bonus coupon + 15x rounded subtotal amount).

2. Went to SDM today to take advantage of friends and family 20% off, the cashier just told me if I paid with my PC Mastercard, the bonus points will be there. She didn't ask me to swipe the first time to check my point balance, only asked me to pay with the credit card. Receipt only says "you could have earned ____ points with PC Optimum"

My question... did the cashier in the second scenario mess up??? I can't see this most recent transaction yet so I have no idea how many points I just earned (either $15 x 10 points or 15 x 15?) I don't mind submitting a points inquiry but... ugh. Why can't they be consistent???
the 2nd cashier was lazy and messed up. I would do a return then and there and demand she refund everything and rescan everything and ring everything though again and scan your pc mc as a pc optimum card. Someone here earlier mentioned she has a cheat sheet to refer to if she doesn't know how.
Sep 9, 2017
669 posts
348 upvotes
Winnipeg
rdiamond1 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:37 pm
I think at SDM they may have to tap twice... either once with the card/ keyfob or phone and then to pay with the MC.

Not sure... but we had the same thing " you could have had XXXX PC Optimum points " yada yada... when it was tapped once.
Someone mentioned the cashiers use of F8 - it may be a training thing.
Based on everyone's feedback here, it seems safer to just do a 2-tap transaction and not be at the mercy of the particular cashier's checkout procedure. I plan to scan my Optimum card, and then pay with PC M/C every time, even though it's technically redundant.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13043 posts
5440 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:17 pm
Unless an Offer has a BANNER on it identifying it as one store Brand (ie Shoppers / No Frills etc) it is good at ALL STORES that accept the PC Optimum Cards
PCO could easily avoid confusion over this in a couple of ways,
1. Have small Loblaws and SDM icons on every offer that's valid across the chain or if a specific store is excluded then just have their logo with a red circle/slash and/or
2. Include this information in the View details section. This is where it really belongs for every offer, even if it's valid chain-wide.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1481 posts
287 upvotes
St. John's
bylo wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:07 am
1. Have small Loblaws and SDM icons on every offer that's valid across the chain or if a specific store is excluded then just have their logo with a red circle/slash and/or
2. Include this information in the View details section. This is where it really belongs for every offer, even if it's valid chain-wide.
Would work for a retailer that didn't hoard store banners. They have like 20 across the country - it would take up way too much space. Look at this mess:

Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4805 posts
2601 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Sorry, I for one DO NOT SEE where any confusion is

Just looking at the List of Offers (Website or App) and I think it pretty clear now

IF it has a BIG BANNER ... THEN IT IS ONLY GOOD AT THE STORE LISTED

No Banner (which is the majority of Offers)... then good at ANY PC Optimum Store

The website / App & Offer List does not need any more visual clutter

If they want to put VALID ONLY AT ____ in the fine print of an Offer (when you click on it) then that would be ok... but again even when you click on it the BANNER is visible
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13043 posts
5440 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Chew300ZX wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:29 am
Would work for a retailer that didn't hoard store banners. They have like 20 across the country - it would take up way too much space. Look at this mess:
They really only need two logos, one to indicate grocery store only and the other to indicate SDM only. (Or the negative red circle/slash to indicate exclusions, especially if these sorts of offers are rare.)
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:32 am
IF it has a BIG BANNER ... THEN IT IS ONLY GOOD AT THE STORE LISTED
I've never seen this banner so that may explain why I made the suggestion in the first place.
If they want to put VALID ONLY AT ____ in the fine print of an Offer (when you click on it) then that would be ok... but again even when you click on it the BANNER is visible
Considering that this is where the terms and conditions are and this is a major condition when it's restricted to a specific store brand then yes, it should have been there all along. If that's the only place where they put it, i.e. no logos, then that's OK by me.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2929 posts
231 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:08 pm
This will be interesting to get the points at RCSS for the SDM offers. I cannot find $10 candy and snack items at SDM as they are not on sale. I will go over RCSS flyer to determine whether I can get $10 worth of candy and snack at RCSS.

I review the SDM offer again. The offer top graphic says SDM exclusive. But the "Offer terms" does not mention about SDM.
Doesn’t work that way
Commemorative loonie rolls, quarter rolls, 50 cent rolls all different kinds of rolls contact for details. Venetian glass bee $250 plus shipping. 20for20 canoe $30 shipped 20for20 polar bear $30 shipped. Lots of 5 packs loons, toons and quaters
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4389 posts
927 upvotes
Alberta
KellyM133398 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:29 am
Based on everyone's feedback here, it seems safer to just do a 2-tap transaction and not be at the mercy of the particular cashier's checkout procedure. I plan to scan my Optimum card, and then pay with PC M/C every time, even though it's technically redundant.
This works for us every time:

1. At the RCSS we just double tap our MC
2. At SDM we use the PCO card then pay with the MC.

Double tapping the MC at SDM gives us the You could have... message on the receipt.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13043 posts
5440 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:55 am
Double tapping the MC at SDM gives us the You could have... message on the receipt.
That sux. I'm on a wallet thickness diet so I don't want to carry yet another card. I suppose I could show my smartphone app, but that's hardly as convenient as doing the double (or better still single) tap for everything. PCO needs to fix this ASAP.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 13, 2017
8 posts
6 upvotes
Got a question - hoping for an answer

I plan to utilize this weekend's spend 50.00 and get 20x the PC Optimum points at shoppers drug mart. I plan on buying a Nintendo Switch game... does anyone know if that is in the guidelines of earning points? I know certain items aren't a part of those mass offers. Was never sure if electronics, more specifically games were included.

Id like to know upfront because I can get a 100.00 shoppers gift card to use towards the purchase but if it wont work I do not want to get the shoppers gift card.

Thanks!
Mar 14, 2006
903 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:00 pm
I will try to defer more than 4 offers tomorrow night around 11pm MST. I was able to defer as many offers as I want around Wednesday 11pm MST using the old pc-plus Android app. But I don't have too many offers which I like to defer this week..
How do you defer offers?
Oct 14, 2017
580 posts
329 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote:
As it is, all I have to know is that when an offer doesn't state it's exclusive to one or more chains, it's good at all of them. If you feel this is likely to confuse an appreciable number of people, let's just say I give them more credit than you seem to.

Also, since the PCO program is available at nearly 20 chains, each with its own logo, are you proposing to put them all on every offer, or just the Loblaws logo, leaving it up to consumers to know it stands for all the grocery chains? And is either of these likely to be meaningfully less confusing?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4389 posts
927 upvotes
Alberta
bylo wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:00 am
That sux. I'm on a wallet thickness diet so I don't want to carry yet another card. I suppose I could show my smartphone app, but that's hardly as convenient as doing the double (or better still single) tap for everything. PCO needs to fix this ASAP.
I was hoping to get rid of a card also. But every time we go to our two SDM’s they always ask us for our PCO card. We tried the double MC tap twice already and it didn’t work. Safer to use the 2 card system until they figure it out.
Mar 14, 2006
903 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
Chew300ZX wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:29 am

I don't think T & T is part of the new program. They have their own loyalty points. I do hope they get merge as well soon.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4805 posts
2601 upvotes
Jonric wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:08 am
As it is, all I have to know is that when an offer doesn't state it's exclusive to one or more chains, it's good at all of them. If you feel this is likely to confuse an appreciable number of people, let's just say I give them more credit than you seem to.

Also, since the PCO program is available at nearly 20 chains, each with its own logo, are you proposing to put them all on every offer, or just the Loblaws logo, leaving it up to consumers to know it stands for all the grocery chains? And is either of these likely to be meaningfully less confusing?
This

Plus PC Optimum has said they are going to begin Offers that are chain specific beyond just SDM...

So soon we’ll be seeing Offers that have a Banner & Logo for one of their other Grocery Stores... supposedly in a way to drive traffic to other stores in your immediate area too

@bylo unfortunately I cannot post photos here on RFD. Maybe someone else can / will
If you have gotten any SDM Offers since the launch you’ve seen how they differ in look from the ALL Offers ... there is NO MISTAKES to be made or confusion.

The give away is the difference in appearance... the bigger coupon style and the BANNER at the top (red in the case of SDM) where it says SHOPPERS DRUG MART EXCLUSIVE

Thread Information

There are currently 37 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 35 guests)

saberon2016, AllenWayne