Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2018 5:19 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
2919 posts
613 upvotes
Miami
ahumanbeing wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 6:07 pm
Thanks. Any idea how long it takes the app to update with points earned from the PC financial card?
About a week or so.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Nov 13, 2017
74 posts
28 upvotes
ahumanbeing wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 6:07 pm
Thanks. Any idea how long it takes the app to update with points earned from the PC financial card?
FYI. PC Financial will post your points in groups once or twice a week. It does not work as one reward post for one transaction.
You can make your own spreadsheet to track your points and ensure you don't miss anything
LOL...Face With Tears Of Joy
May 8, 2012
61 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
hello, question about the pc optimum program. just to clarify, i earn points for every dollar spent at sdm but for other participating stores (no frills, loblaws, fortinos, etc), i can only earn points if they are eligible "offers"? tia!
Sep 14, 2008
116 posts
64 upvotes
infinitely wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:22 pm
hello, question about the pc optimum program. just to clarify, i earn points for every dollar spent at sdm but for other participating stores (no frills, loblaws, fortinos, etc), i can only earn points if they are eligible "offers"? tia!
You got it!

Shoppers = earn points on everything + bonus in store, app offers, text offers, etc.

No frills/Loblaws/RCSS = earn points only on instore offers, app offers, text offers, etc.
Sep 14, 2008
116 posts
64 upvotes
I have a question. If there's an offer that's 400 points for every $2.00 spent on cream cheese and I got 3 for $3.49 should I not get 5 x 400 points?

Dunno if I should start a ticket. It said I got 3 x 400 points. So I think it got applied per item rather than total of all three items
Last edited by CrypticThief on Mar 14th, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
4443 posts
1032 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 11:19 am
SDM 20x on milk can be deferred. Not sure about SDM 20x on $ spend offer.
Pretty sure 20x on milk at SDM can NOT be deferred.

Try to defer it and see. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3870 posts
575 upvotes
Richmond
Jeez Esso keeps changing their rewards partners. They had hbc rewards before as a partner and you could exchange hbc rewards for esso points.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18327 posts
279 upvotes
YVR
PointsHubby wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 4:57 pm
Yes, I am wondering the same, as the News Article I read did not discuss this point

Just that Esso will pay out 10 PCO Points per Litre ... and 10 PCO Points per $ 1 Spent in the Convenience Stores and on Car Washes

But if they do go with the usual PCO Model of 10,000 Points = $ 10 Gas, I might have to rethink my gas purchasing preferences in the future, we normally hit up Costco - PetroCanada - or Shell ... depending on Convenience and Cost

But sitting on a pile of PCO Points ... and Gas so expensive ... the temptation to switch to FREE Gas will be very high

It definitely is an interesting partnership ... Major Grocery Store Chain - Pharmacy Chain - and Gas Station... all NATIONAL too
How does this compare to filling up gas at Mobil/RCSS? I might start going to Esso if I can earn more there and also redeem my points over there.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4291 posts
891 upvotes
Alberta
bluebellrose wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 2:36 am
Jeez Esso keeps changing their rewards partners. They had hbc rewards before as a partner and you could exchange hbc rewards for esso points.
Anything is better than getting Aeroplan points at Esso. If you thought Airmiles was bad, the amount of Aeroplan points you received at Esso for buying gas was a total joke.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4291 posts
891 upvotes
Alberta
DonR04 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 3:49 pm
I have yet to submit a points inquiry with this new Optimum program (I'm just not getting enough offers to even go shopping), but in the past any point inquiry would get a response within minutes.
Ive done 2 inquiries in the last week. Both were done and posted in my account in less than 1/2 hr.
Mar 13, 2018
6 posts
No frills is only participating the old pc points loyalty program, so there's just no bonus point offers at no frills. Just what you would earn with a pc mc or pc debit. My guess is that's how you were able to redeem. Mind you, I'm not an expert on this, just a spectator
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12666 posts
5023 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
retireat50 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:04 am
Wonder if they will allow redemptions at esso
PointsHubby wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 4:57 pm
Yes, I am wondering the same, as the News Article I read did not discuss this point

Just that Esso will pay out 10 PCO Points per Litre ... and 10 PCO Points per $ 1 Spent in the Convenience Stores and on Car Washes

But if they do go with the usual PCO Model of 10,000 Points = $ 10 Gas, I might have to rethink my gas purchasing preferences in the future, we normally hit up Costco - PetroCanada - or Shell ... depending on Convenience and Cost

But sitting on a pile of PCO Points ... and Gas so expensive ... the temptation to switch to FREE Gas will be very high

It definitely is an interesting partnership ... Major Grocery Store Chain - Pharmacy Chain - and Gas Station... all NATIONAL too
If you're going to speculate, then speculate big.

Esso defected from AirMiles. So have others, including Sobeys from Aeroplan. Air Canada has also announced defection. PCO has the opportunity to morph into a more general loyalty program with more partners. Somehow I doubt Sobeys, Rexall and Shell would be a good fit ;) but other retailers, both current AM partners like Home Hardware, LCBO (OSC anyone?) and new ones, could help make PCO the premier loyalty program in Canada.

Consider also:
1. The company Loblaw hired to implement the SDM Opt and PC Plus merger to PC Opt specializes in administering loyalty programs, primarily in the UK. This could be the start of a beautiful relationship.
2. Loyalty programs like Aeroplan and AMs are independent companies who sell customer spending info to others. Loblaw is a retailer who would benefit big time if they could amass all that info for themselves. It would give them a massive advantage over their competitors. It would also help them expand into other segments of the retail market.
3. Expanding on 2. consider that there's probably not much growth left in Loblaw's core grocery and pharmacy business. But they're already in finance (PC MC), travel, clothing, insurance, etc. so at least in principle they seem open to expanding their reach.
4. Considering how badly they botched the PCO merger, the bread price-fixing scandal as well as how badly they botched the $25 GC distribution, all this power in the hands of the Weston family, already #2, is very scary.

Anyway, just brainstorming out loud...

[edit to clarify]
Last edited by bylo on Mar 14th, 2018 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12666 posts
5023 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
CrypticThief wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:04 am
I have a question. If there's an offer that's 400 points for every $2.00 spent on cream cheese and I got 3 for $3.49 should I not get 5 x 400 points?

Dunno if I should start a ticket. It said I got 3 x 200 points. So I think it got applied per item rather than total of all three items
Yes you should have gotten 5 x 400 pts (assuming this was all in one purchase) and yes you should do a Points Inquiry to get the missing points.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 11, 2011
273 posts
57 upvotes
Memramcook
bylo wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 7:20 am
If you're going to speculate, then speculate big.

Esso defected from AirMiles. So have others, including Sobeys. Air Canada has also announced defection.
snip
Anyway, just brainstorming out loud...
Sobey's?? We still have airmiles from Sobey's in NB. Is this recent or a Ontario thing?

Bob
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12666 posts
5023 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bobmacgolf wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 7:43 am
Sobey's?? We still have airmiles from Sobey's in NB. Is this recent or a Ontario thing?
Yes. Look up a Sobeys flyer in ON: https://www.sobeys.com/en/flyer/

They ditched Aeroplan here several years ago.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

Gtsourapis