Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2018 11:11 am
May 3, 2008
490 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
For current Esso regular gas customers:
The payout on getting 10 PCO pts per liter at Esso is a bit better than getting Esso Extra pts to redeem for gas gift cards.

For current Esso mid and prem grade gas customers:
Esso Extra pts are almost double the return compared to the PCO pts. Its 2-3X esso extra points per $1 vs 10 PCO pts per litre. One liter of gas >$1.30 for mid and prem grade these days

If your primary use of the Esso points are for car wash redemption, its still better off to collect Esso pts than PCO pts regardless which fuel grade you purchase.

At the end of the day, it gives consumers more choices how they want to be rewarded filling up at Esso, but it is not a definite gain for all.
Oct 14, 2013
335 posts
238 upvotes
I only used aeroplan at esso to make sure I kept it active once a year.
Sep 26, 2012
289 posts
95 upvotes
North York
DGSSSG wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 6:45 pm
FYI. PC Financial will post your points in groups once or twice a week. It does not work as one reward post for one transaction.
You can make your own spreadsheet to track your points and ensure you don't miss anything
LOL...Face With Tears Of Joy
PC Financial rewards are a pain to track on the Optimum app or website. They are itemized in small increments and it seems to be up to the consumer to tally them up to make sure that they are correct. My PCF statements still only list the 1% amount of Optimum points at the top of the statement instead of the % for WE cardholders. This never used to be the case, so I hope that they fix this.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4858 posts
1494 upvotes
Kingston, ON
bylo wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 7:54 am
Yes. Look up a Sobeys flyer in ON: https://www.sobeys.com/en/flyer/

They ditched Aeroplan here several years ago.
At first you said they "defected from AirMiles." They're on AirMiles. Guessing you meant "defected from Aeroplan."
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
2926 posts
620 upvotes
Miami
So we're going to have to pick between earning Esso Extra points or PCO.

Someone do the math and tell me what's more value

$1 = 1 Esso Extra point = $0.01 in store (I believe)
1 L = 10 PCO points = $0.01 in store

wongmb wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 9:24 am
For current Esso mid and prem grade gas customers:
Esso Extra pts are almost double the return compared to the PCO pts. Its 2-3X esso extra points per $1 vs 10 PCO pts per litre. One liter of gas >$1.30 for mid and prem grade these days
Has there been any mention of how this will affect PCF MC? If the offers can combine then for premium gas I can recieve:

10 points / L (Esso base points)
10 points / $1 (PCF WE MC base points)
30 points / L (PCF WE MC bonus points)

So that comes to:
40 points / L + 10 points/$1

That comes to about 4-5% depending on gas prices. 3-4% if filling regular.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12666 posts
5023 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Mike15 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 10:52 am
At first you said they "defected from AirMiles." They're on AirMiles. Guessing you meant "defected from Aeroplan."
Sorry. My bad. Was still on the first coffee of the morning. Etc. ;)

I should have said, "So have others, including Sobeys from Aeroplan."

My point is that with these defections both Aeroplan and Air Miles are vulnerable. Also AMs is still recovering from the effects of their botched attempt to expire points. This presents PCO with an opportunity to expand--if they choose to exploit it.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4858 posts
1494 upvotes
Kingston, ON
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 11:10 am
So we're going to have to pick between earning Esso Extra points or PCO.

Someone do the math and tell me what's more value

$1 = 1 Esso Extra point = $0.01 in store (I believe)
1 L = 10 PCO points = $0.01 in store
The value of an EssoExtra point depends on what you spend it on. 100pts on a slushie is probably >$0.01, but only if you're getting a slushie anyway. Same with car wash. 699pts for a "luxury" wash (599 "full," 499 "quick") is >$0.01 as well, if you like your Esso's wash anyway (touchless sure, track no way). The best you can get gas-wise is 1400pts for a reload on a $0.05/lt off 200lt card ($10/1400pts = $0.007/pt) and it's even worse for other increments or gift cards or lottery. Candy or gum for 150pts is probably close to $0.01/pt, give or take. I don't think it's a clear-cut $0.01/pt even when redeeming in-store though.
Jun 27, 2017
42 posts
31 upvotes
Anyone get an email for PC Optimum exclusive offer on Turkey @ Loblaws? Anyone know if I can use it at Superstore?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1692 posts
459 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
topshot wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:20 pm
Anyone get an email for PC Optimum exclusive offer on Turkey @ Loblaws? Anyone know if I can use it at Superstore?
I've been successful in the past price matching prices at other Superstores in different locations with mine. I recall price matching garlic in Vancouver (and I'm not close to Vancouver at all) and something once in the East somewhere. A few other things. I brought in the price from the Web site. I don't see why a Loblaw's-branded store should be any different. I'm sure it depends on the person you deal with though.
Trump's right!! I smuggled U.S. shoes, but stopped when the market got clogged...

"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Jun 27, 2017
42 posts
31 upvotes
This is specifically a pts offer, so I don't believe price match is an option.

Just curious if this offer is effective in all Lobalws stores and affiliates.

Ah well...I'll try and make a pts request if I don't get the points.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8340 posts
8130 upvotes
topshot wrote:
TheHans wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 1:17 pm
I've been successful in the past price matching prices at other Superstores in different locations with mine. I recall price matching garlic in Vancouver (and I'm not close to Vancouver at all) and something once in the East somewhere. A few other things. I brought in the price from the Web site. I don't see why a Loblaw's-branded store should be any different. I'm sure it depends on the person you deal with though.
topshot has a Loblaws exclusive offer. Will s/he get the points if s/he purchase the turkey in RCSS instead of Loblaws? JMO, no points if it is not purchased at Loblaws store.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
1x 7-11 Speakout, 2x Koodo $28 plan, $0 FPL home phone
1x Zoomer $36 loyalty plan, 1x Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 numbers $117($72 + 2x$22.5)
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1692 posts
459 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
embguy wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 1:43 pm
topshot has a Loblaws exclusive offer. Will s/he get the points if s/he purchase the turkey in RCSS instead of Loblaws? JMO, no points if it is not purchased at Loblaws store.
@topshot indicated after I posted that this was specifically a points offer. From that perspective, I agree with you that the points won't transfer. I thought the offer had something to do with the price for some reason. This is where I've been successful in the past, even matching between other Loblaw's-branded stores in different cities and provinces.
Trump's right!! I smuggled U.S. shoes, but stopped when the market got clogged...

"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4419 posts
2374 upvotes
Darkman wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:32 am
Pretty sure 20x on milk at SDM can NOT be deferred.

Try to defer it and see. :)
DELAYING OFFERS

DELAYS DO NOT WORK ON EXCLUSIVE OFFERS
So if the offer shows a COLOURED BANNER WITH LOGO, and the word EXCLUSIVE

You CANNOT DELAY IT... use it or lose it
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4419 posts
2374 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 3:00 am
How does this compare to filling up gas at Mobil/RCSS? I might start going to Esso if I can earn more there and also redeem my points over there.
Sorry, cannot help you out here, don’t have a RCSS near me... so no RCSS associated Gas Stations
Or a PC Financial CC

Hopefully someone else that has all 3 can Reply factually on now / speculate on the future with regards to this Announcement

EDIT / ADD - Happy to see since I read your post (on my daily catch up) that in the interim pages several have joined the convo you started
Good info shared
Last edited by PointsHubby on Mar 14th, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4419 posts
2374 upvotes
topshot wrote:
EXCLUSIVE OFFERS via your PCO ACCOUNT ... DO NOT TRANSFER

And putting in a Points Request IMO would be a blatant abuse of the Program

The EXCLUSIVITY is an attempt to get you into a particular store / chain

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)