Shopping Discussion

Locked: PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:14 am
Apr 19, 2015
326 posts
165 upvotes
N/A
I don't know what just happened but I purchased $105 worth of NARS cosmetics on Beauty Boutique online and received total points of 56,500. I was only expecting 20 times the points = 30% off but instead I received 53.8% off, plus a whole bunch of gifts with purchase!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
merrygold wrote: I don't know what just happened but I purchased $105 worth of NARS cosmetics on Beauty Boutique online and received total points of 56,500. I was only expecting 20 times the points = 30% off but instead I received 53.8% off, plus a whole bunch of gifts with purchase!
We’ve never shopped at SDM’s online Beauty Boutique, but we subscribe to SDM Emails and there are always A TON of offers from them (automatic offers, the kind you don’t have to load to your PCO Account, or use a coupon for). I suspect that this is what happened. You got the 20x the points for the recent well advertised event (August 11 - 17) and then a bunch more based on what items you purchased (not so well known / advertised).

Either way... nice overall earn / Bonus

31,500 for 20x Points Event (105 x 15 x 20)
25,000 In Item Bonuses

Not impossible as the Emails often show individual items at 5,000 or 10,000 Points with Purchase
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7086 posts
5218 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote: Everyone else, you can try a survey at the bottom of the receipt to let headquarters know you want PCO instead of the TNT system.
Pretty sure that they want to keep this illusion of who owns TNT a secret. Yes, most people on this site know who owns it, but ask most people shopping in the store and they probably don't know.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4783 posts
1328 upvotes
Richmond
renoldman wrote: Pretty sure that they want to keep this illusion of who owns TNT a secret. Yes, most people on this site know who owns it, but ask most people shopping in the store and they probably don't know.
It'd be better to have an integrated system. Right now there's a weird convoluted system of getting offers and offers credited at TNT. It involves PC MASTERCARD and manual points inquiry.

Lol They use the same survey system and the code works for giving the PCO CSR Access to your receipt info.
Apr 19, 2015
326 posts
165 upvotes
N/A
PointsHubby wrote: We’ve never shopped at SDM’s online Beauty Boutique, but we subscribe to SDM Emails and there are always A TON of offers from them (automatic offers, the kind you don’t have to load to your PCO Account, or use a coupon for). I suspect that this is what happened. You got the 20x the points for the recent well advertised event (August 11 - 17) and then a bunch more based on what items you purchased (not so well known / advertised).

Either way... nice overall earn / Bonus

31,500 for 20x Points Event (105 x 15 x 20)
25,000 In Item Bonuses

Not impossible as the Emails often show individual items at 5,000 or 10,000 Points with Purchase
It appears that I received both the points offer that ended on Friday (20 times the points) as well as the one that started on Saturday (25,000 points + gift with purchase).
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
sushimelon wrote: Does anyone have experience with the "1000 points for every $5 spent on electronics" offer?

I'm planning to buy a tv or a game console at SDM this weekend and I'm planning to stack this offer with their instore offer of "25000 points when you spend $75"
Yes, I have experience with that -- I had to make a points enquiry for the personal offer for the electronics points, but got them. We also got 25,000 points for an in-store offer "25,000 points when you spend $250" and we met that minimum and those points came on right away. But it was at the RCSS, not Shoppers.
Last edited by TheHans on Aug 18th, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
shopper_holic wrote: I recently bought gas at Esso on Aug. 13. My points are:
Spent $74.07 on 58.84 litres
Esso Fuel = 580 pts (10pts/L; rounds down)
MASTERCARD REWARDS = 741 pts (10pts/$; rounds up)
PC WORLD ELITE MC FUEL REWARDS = 1180 pts (20pts/L; rounds up)

Effective return at Esso = 3%

I have also bought gas at Mobil (Ontario - Glen Erin & Eglinton):
Spent $63.41 on 49 litres
Mobil Fuel = 980 pts (20pts/L base)
Mobil Fuel PCF Bonus = 980 pts (20pts/L bonus)
MASTERCARD REWARDS = 634 pts (10pts/$)
PC WORLD ELITE MASTERCARD MOBIL REWARDS = 1260 pts (20pts/$)

Effective return at Mobil = 6%
Are you getting ESSO points AND pc points? Man, my PC optimum is all f'ed up. I'm only getting 10 PC points for 1 litre of fuel. Not getting the extra 30 or 40 points. Wtfffff
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Oct 7, 2013
740 posts
534 upvotes
TheHans wrote: Yes, I have experience with that -- I had to make a points enquiry for the electronics points, but got them. The 25,000 points (which in my case was for spending $250) came on right away. But it was at the RCSS, not Shoppers.
If the offer is one thousand pts. for every 5 bucks spent (that's 20%) & you spent $250 -- shouldn't you have received 50 thousand pts?

Or am I missing something here?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
unclefester wrote: If the offer is one thousand pts. for every 5 bucks spent (that's 20%) & you spent $250 -- shouldn't you have received 50 thousand pts?

Or am I missing something here?
I think I wasn't clear, sorry. I was referring to the "spend X get X points" offer in the store. In my case, there was an in-store offer that was "spend $250 get 25,000 points." And we got that when we made the purchase, which was applicable. Above that, I had to make a points enquiry for my "1,000 points for every $5 on electronics" offer. And I got that also.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Dec 27, 2016
733 posts
1087 upvotes
Canada
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet and/or if it’s ymmv. I was in an ESSO gas bar/convenience today. Didn't buy gas but spent $15 on ice cream/treats for my kids. I didn’t scan my PCO card but used my WEPC MC card to pay. It’s linked to a PCO account and I received 150 PCO points immediately so I guess it’s isn’t just for gas but purchases inside the store as well.
Aug 18, 2018
66 posts
95 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Does anyone know if I can use "25,000 when you spend 75$" in Shoppers multiple times (multiple transactions during same day/weekend)? Or is it one-time only?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Frank510 wrote: Not sure if this has been mentioned yet and/or if it’s ymmv. I was in an ESSO gas bar/convenience today. Didn't buy gas but spent $15 on ice cream/treats for my kids. I didn’t scan my PCO card but used my WEPC MC card to pay. It’s linked to a PCO account and I received 150 PCO points immediately so I guess it’s isn’t just for gas but purchases inside the store as well.
Yup it’s all stated on the Esso website in the Esso & PCO FAQs

https://www.esso.ca/en/pc-optimum-faq
QUESTION - How many PC Optimum points will I earn when buying at Esso stations?

ANSWER - PC Optimum members will earn 10pts per litre on fuel and 10pts per dollar on eligible convenience store or car wash purchases at Esso stations.
Members will also be able to earn additional PC Optimum points through targeted bonus offers. Customers using a President’s Choice Financial Mastercard as payment will earn at least 30 points per litre on fuel at Esso stations. For the most up to date PC Optimum Terms and Conditions visit pcoptimum.ca.
Dec 9, 2001
975 posts
707 upvotes
Vancouver
Did they always round 96 cents up to a dollar when calculating points?
I remember seeing complaints about them not doing that because all the offers are xxx points for every $1 spent.

Today, I went to buy 2 bags of chips for $1.98 each. Total came to $3.96 and they rounded up to $4 when calculating points.
My offer was 200 points for every $1 spend, and I got 800 points.
Is this a new thing? How close do you have to be to the next dollar to get the roundup effect?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ShocWave wrote: Did they always round 96 cents up to a dollar when calculating points?
I remember seeing complaints about them not doing that because all the offers are xxx points for every $1 spent.

Today, I went to buy 2 bags of chips for $1.98 each. Total came to $3.96 and they rounded up to $4 when calculating points.
My offer was 200 points for every $1 spend, and I got 800 points.
Is this a new thing? How close do you have to be to the next dollar to get the roundup effect?
Not a new thing, existed under the OLD PC+ Program too.

The issue that you may have read about is how rounding applies differently at PC+ Loblaws Group Stores vs SDM Group Stores

PC+ Group tends to always round up... and SDM always tend to rounds down

Part of the issue being that SDM Group issues Base Points on every dollar spent, where PC+ Group only issues points on Offers Redeemed

So if you spend $ 1.98 at SDM, you earn 15 Base Points for the $ 1 amount
(And not 30 Base Points for $ 2 Spent... cause you did not spend $ 2)

For this reason, it’s often more advantageous to use Personal Offers at PC+ Loblaws Group if an item is just shy of an even dollar mark

Hard to know where the cut off is at PC+ Stores... we believe a lot has to do with the cost of the individual items... usually anything in the .95 cent mark, after multiplying will roll up. But there have been reports in the past as low as 80-some cents. But those are truly rare

Honestly, it would be nice if the PCO Program was applied the same at BOTH Chains... but I don’t think that is ever going to happen
The faithful Customers from SDM would yell loudly if the Base Points disappeared

Having things applied differently at the two chains is a PITA
But it is what it is

ADD
OCCASSIONALLY someone posts that they indeed found a Personal Offer at SDM that rolled up. But again, still pretty rare by all accounts
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1446 posts
729 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I have the world elite PC mastercard. My optimum card/account is linked to the PC WE MC. We always pay with our PC world elite mastercard when we shop at rcss. I'm trying to determine if the points for using my PC MC are showing up on my optimum account.

I noticed for my july PC MC statement that *on the statement*, I see I earned 3264 pc optimum points (for using the pc mastercard, not referring to targetted offers - i know the targeted offers are showing up on my optimum account).

How do the points show up on the optimum account for using the pc mastercard? Should I expect to see 3264 points added and lumped together as 1 transaction towards my optimum account or are the points broken down per purchase/transaction and reflected 1 by 1 for each purchase on the pc optimum app?
Jun 6, 2009
623 posts
157 upvotes
sushimelon wrote: Does anyone have experience with the "1000 points for every $5 spent on electronics" offer?

I'm planning to buy a tv or a game console at SDM this weekend and I'm planning to stack this offer with their instore offer of "25000 points when you spend $75"
Never has worked for me at the till. Double check your points and don't open the items unless you could care less whether or not you get the points. Call in for your points inquiry; there can be major delays/no response with the online form version not to mention some downright incompetent responses..

My issue for a large purchase is dated over 2 weeks and has now been escalated twice up.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mrstdn wrote: Does anyone know if I can use "25,000 when you spend 75$" in Shoppers multiple times (multiple transactions during same day/weekend)? Or is it one-time only?
If it’s a Personal Offer it is good only on one transaction... then it disappears

If it’s a Flyer or Store Offer, normally you can use it a multitude of times

Good to know, because if it’s a Flyer or Store Offer, and you want to spend $ 150+ ... then you divide your goods into 2 Transactions
And manage to get the bonus 2x
Aug 18, 2018
66 posts
95 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
PointsHubby wrote: If it’s a Flyer or Store Offer, normally you can use it a multitude of times
Thanks. It's a Flyer offer. Will try to use it today again.
Sep 23, 2011
298 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: If it’s a Personal Offer it is good only on one transaction... then it disappears

If it’s a Flyer or Store Offer, normally you can use it a multitude of times

Good to know, because if it’s a Flyer or Store Offer, and you want to spend $ 150+ ... then you divide your goods into 2 Transactions
And manage to get the bonus 2x
Spend $150 yesterday, divided into 2 transactions. All good, received points ok.
Just double-check the cash screen, make sure that total is not less than $75.
One of our transactions was $75.xx before taxes BUT after cashier hit Enter - the amount became a bit less then $75 and no bonus of course...
Some last minute discount kicked in, so we had to re-do the whole transaction...
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
2057 posts
2034 upvotes
Winnipeg
mrstdn wrote: Thanks. It's a Flyer offer. Will try to use it today again.
Several people reported doing multiple transactions on the same account yesterday, and getting the 25K bonus multiple times, so there should be no problem with that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)