Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2018 8:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5451 posts
1612 upvotes
rdiamond1 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 2:21 pm
No it is definitely not as good.
At Esso:
10 points per litre
and 10 points /$ with PC WE
( Close to 2 cents per dollar - with current gas cost )

At Mobil :
40 points per litre ( are you sure on this ?)
and 30 points /$ with PC Card
( CLose to 7 cents per dollar - with current gas cost )

However there are very few mobil stations around here and Esso are everywhere.
jfmartel wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 2:03 pm
So it's defenitly not as good as Mobil. Here I'm received (when I pay with PC MC), 40 pts/L (2 regular pts and 20 pts because I pay with a PC MC) with the usual 30 pts/$ that my card provide when I shop at their location.
It's not that complicated. Esso is only 10pts per L (1¢ /L)
Mobil varies by station. If your station offers 40 pts then it's 4¢/L. Gitty.
My Mobil station is (as it's always been) 20 pts, so 2¢/L. Not so gitty.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12426 posts
1104 upvotes
Mississauga
bonterra wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 5:01 pm
I called and told them I would not be sending in my receipt or answering any more emails. Today I got an email from No-Reply <noreply3@membercare.pcoptimum.ca> reminding me to send in my receipt or they would close my "case" in 5 days. The email also said "To respond with more information or questions, you can reply to this email. We kindly ask that you do not delete or change the reference number in the subject line of this email." SMH!!!

But then I opened my app and the Points Adjustment of 10000 points had been applied. After they told me yesterday to just wait 72 hours.

Truly bizarre and poor customer service.
Probably outsourced..
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1281 posts
410 upvotes
WHO wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 5:47 pm
It's not that complicated. Esso is only 10pts per L (1¢ /L)
Mobil varies by station. If your station offers 40 pts then it's 4¢/L. Gitty.
My Mobil station is (as it's always been) 20 pts, so 2¢/L. Not so gitty.
Our Mobil stations in Calgary at 70pts per L if you pay with PC Financial Mastercard, so I pretty much only ever fill up there. We have people lining up at Costco forever, I just go across the street and get it cheaper with the 7c off, and no line. No idea why more people don't do it and rather lineup at Costco.
Aug 9, 2015
279 posts
115 upvotes
eblend wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:35 am
Our Mobil stations in Calgary at 70pts per L if you pay with PC Financial Mastercard, so I pretty much only ever fill up there. We have people lining up at Costco forever, I just go across the street and get it cheaper with the 7c off, and no line. No idea why more people don't do it and rather lineup at Costco.
Costco premium is cheaper than Mobil premium. I fill up regular at Mobil stations too.
But at what cost
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1281 posts
410 upvotes
kukayla wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 2:54 am
Costco premium is cheaper than Mobil premium. I fill up regular at Mobil stations too.
True that, I just know most cars are filling up regular at Costco. I think if my car needed premium I would find a good time to go to Costco as well.

Regarding my fuel points, finally got them! They did a manual adjustment and I got my 10000 points credited last night!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5610 posts
3188 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Chew300ZX wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 2:00 pm
So now that Esso is part of the program, has anyone had an offer for bonus points for Esso yet?
I believe the only folks reporting PCO Bonus Points Offers thus far were in the PC Financial MC Test Group that ran in the lead up month to the August 9th Launch date

I did read this today on both the PCO Website, and on the Esso Canada Website...

QUESTION: How do I earn PC Optimum points at participating Esso stations?

ANSWER:
Members can earn PC Optimum points at Esso stations on eligible purchases of gasoline or diesel fuel, convenience store purchases and car wash services. Members who are registered to receive personalized offers may also receive bonus points offers.
But so far have found no way to register for Esso Offers strategically (on either website)

Of course it could be just a DUMB STATEMENT made by the PCO Program Programmers (saw lots of those during the merger)
Simply meaning that if you are a fully registered PCO Member you get Personal Offers, and as such may receive some for gas from Esso / Mobil

Otherwise...
Their lips are flapping, and they’ve once again put the cart before the horse
(Announcement with no current means / follow thru)

My best guess...

Buy gas. Personal Offers will follow
Although i’d say expect to wait up to 3 weeks to see it happen
As that’s how long it took SDM Offers to kick in originally
And, 3 weeks seems to be the algorithm turn around on PCO Offers
(Ie Apples on the 1st of the month, apples again 3 weeks later)
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1184 posts
728 upvotes
Ottawa
As an experiment, I bought gas today using the Speedpass+ app with my PC Mastercard set as the form of payment. Paying directly at the pump with your PC Mastercard is one official way to earn points as of today - but I'm wondering if paying with it via the app will work as well (I asked PCO directly but their answer was not clear at all).
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13432 posts
5835 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:31 pm
My best guess...

It may take more than one shopping trip at a particular banner for personalized offers and personalized emails to start. Until a couple of months ago I used to shop at Superstore maybe once a month when there was something on sale at a particularly low price or some enticing PCO bonus offer specific to them. My main store was ValuMart. I got VM-specific offers in the PCO app and emails from VM. Lately I've shopped at SS every week or two for a variety of reasons. Now I'm also getting emails from SS with personalized offers.

Interesting anecdote. There's an SDM in the same mall as the VM I frequent. Today I stopped at SDM to pick up some items that were on sale and/or cheaper than at VM. Some of those items were PC and NN products. I put all items in my backpack. Then I popped into the VM to pick up some stuff that SDM doesn't carry. As it happens the VM store manager was helping out the cashier by being a "bag boy." [Good on him.] When I opened my backpack to stow the stuff I just bought at VM he must have seen the PC and NN packages. He didn't say anything but he must have realized where I'd bought them. (I doubt he considered me to be a shoplifter since he recognized me as a regular customer and he didn't challenge me.) Anyway the detour to SDM saved me at least $5 compared to what I'd have paid for the identical items at VM. I don't know how many people do this but it can't bode well for VM.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5610 posts
3188 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bylo wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:57 pm
It may take more than one shopping trip at a particular banner for personalized offers and personalized emails to start. Until a couple of months ago I used to shop at Superstore maybe once a month when there was something on sale at a particularly low price or some enticing PCO bonus offer specific to them. My main store was ValuMart. I got VM-specific offers in the PCO app and emails from VM. Lately I've shopped at SS every week or two for a variety of reasons. Now I'm also getting emails from SS with personalized offers.

Interesting anecdote. There's an SDM in the same mall as the VM I frequent. Today I stopped at SDM to pick up some items that were on sale and/or cheaper than at VM. Some of those items were PC and NN products. I put all items in my backpack. Then I popped into the VM to pick up some stuff that SDM doesn't carry. As it happens the VM store manager was helping out the cashier by being a "bag boy." [Good on him.] When I opened my backpack to stow the stuff I just bought at VM he must have seen the PC and NN packages. He didn't say anything but he must have realized where I'd bought them. (I doubt he considered me to be a shoplifter since he recognized me as a regular customer and he didn't challenge me.) Anyway the detour to SDM saved me at least $5 compared to what I'd have paid for the identical items at VM. I don't know how many people do this but it can't bode well for VM.
You are not alone in your discovery...
Actually there is a large group who shop at SDM Regularly (as you know) for Milk, Eggs, etc

But like yourself, I too have had my eyes opened in recent months about SDM pricing

I thought the deals were just limited to the SDM Food Specials for the week, as per the Flyer
The milk, the eggs, bread, etc

But recently I too have discovered that SDM has knocked the traditional idea of them being a Drugstore / Convenience Store with higher prices on the head

There can indeed be items in the grocery categories that can be as cheap / cheaper than PC+ Stores
Including NN & PC Products, but also brand name items too

One we’ve discovered by accident is dish soap like Palmolive

So buy at Shoppers and get Base Points
Or buy on 20x the Points Days

Have also added them to my list of items that are worthwhile pickups whenever I have a decent WUS Offer and need to fulfil the quota
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8946 posts
8479 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:57 pm

No VM in AB.
Is VM price match other store like RCSS or NF? If yes, just show the SDM price on Flipps app to get SDM price without store hopping.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $41 6GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13432 posts
5835 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 1:07 pm
You are not alone in your discovery...
Actually there is a large group who shop at SDM Regularly (as you know) for Milk, Eggs, etc
I was aware of that. That's why I stopped at SDM first. My anecdote was meant to be about the VM manager who got to see the result. In some ways I feel sorry for him. His store is an independent operation that gets its products and promotions from Loblaws. The SDM move into "his" mall was out of his control. Now he's competing against them without the high margin stuff like cosmetics and pharma to offset the grocery deals.
But recently I too have discovered that SDM has knocked the traditional idea of them being a Drugstore / Convenience Store with higher prices on the head

There can indeed be items in the grocery categories that can be as cheap / cheaper than PC+ Stores
Including NN & PC Products, but also brand name items too
Case in point. I needed some aluminum foil. A Flipp flyer search indicated that the cheapest was at WalMart at $1.83 for 25'. No mention of SDM. So imagine my surprise when I see NN Al foil, reg. $2.29 for 25', on sale for 88¢. Naturally I stocked up. After all Al isn't perishable. I don't know if that's an anomaly. I'll certainly now do a quick scan of SDM shelves before going to VM to see if it's part of SDM's marketing strategy.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13432 posts
5835 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
embguy wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 1:29 pm
No VM in AB.
Is VM price match other store like RCSS or NF? If yes, just show the SDM price on Flipps app to get SDM price without store hopping.
VM is essentially a smallish grocery store or largish convenience store that carries Loblaw stock. They're independently owned rather than owned by Weston. Their prices are generally higher than other Loblaw chain stores in this area like SS and Zehrs. Perhaps they do this under a different banner in AB.

In any case VM doesn't PM, much to my consternation. That's why I'm finding myself shopping more frequently at SS.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5451 posts
1612 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:31 pm
I believe the only folks reporting PCO Bonus Points Offers thus far were in the PC Financial MC Test Group that ran in the lead up month to the August 9th Launch date

I did read this today on both the PCO Website, and on the Esso Canada Website...

But so far have found no way to register for Esso Offers strategically (on either website)

Of course it could be just a DUMB STATEMENT made by the PCO Program Programmers (saw lots of those during the merger)
Simply meaning that if you are a fully registered PCO Member you get Personal Offers, and as such may receive some for gas from Esso / Mobil

Otherwise...
Their lips are flapping, and they’ve once again put the cart before the horse
(Announcement with no current means / follow thru)

My best guess...

I've had a first PCO bonus offer (before the local gas bar was transited/rebranded as Mobil) back in June, 10000 pts for 40$ fuel. I got that bonus right on the receipt, instantly added to my PCO account.

Luckily for me, I only fuel up about once every 3 weeks, I had topped it up once for about 20$ so by last week I was due for a fill up, and got another bonus offer, and it's the one I used last Sunday and still haven't been credited the points, and Loblaw is refusing to give me the points Angry Face I've opened 2 missing points inquiry, sent them a picture of the receipt, and no response or points since. That's too much hassle for 10$. I'll know to steer clear next time.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5610 posts
3188 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
WHO wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 2:57 pm
I've had a first PCO bonus offer (before the local gas bar was transited/rebranded as Mobil) back in June, 10000 pts for 40$ fuel. I got that bonus right on the receipt, instantly added to my PCO account.

Luckily for me, I only fuel up about once every 3 weeks, I had topped it up once for about 20$ so by last week I was due for a fill up, and got another bonus offer, and it's the one I used last Sunday and still haven't been credited the points, and Loblaw is refusing to give me the points Angry Face I've opened 2 missing points inquiry, sent them a picture of the receipt, and no response or points since. That's too much hassle for 10$. I'll know to steer clear next time.
True enough...

BUT the Question I was answering was in regards to Esso Stations, not Mobil (the old PC+ Loblaws Group Gas Bars)

Which BTW are not found in all markets (like Esso)

There continues to be a lot of confusion between the 2 Brands, as they are one in the same Co south of the border

Yet here “technically” (legally) they are considered to be seperate... that is until the Cdn Esso Website started carrying both logos... so ya a lot of confusion surrounding the 2 now that they are part of the PCO Family
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6605 posts
1307 upvotes
WHO wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 2:57 pm

Exactly how I feel. This program has become more trouble than it's worth when things go wrong.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

pokee99