Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 2:33 pm
Jul 24, 2018
195 posts
78 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Ottomaddox wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 7:35 pm
Yeah, I think some of the offers are evergreen, but I haven't noticed if they are marked that way, or if it's even intentional.
Perhaps some offers in our personalized lists are actual system wide offers that are duplicated and available to everyone?
Jonric wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 8:14 pm
Between my wife's account and mine, I'd say this has happened three or four times in the past four to six weeks.
Have you noticed any patterns?

The two that didn't get deleted for me are offers that I use frequently and that I tend to carry over to a following week when I don't use them.

I'm wondering now if these offers would have shown up anyway even if I didn't carry them over from last week, and so they took up two database slots (even though it only showed once on the list of offers) but only one got deleted when I used it?
Oct 14, 2017
759 posts
481 upvotes
GTA
TheRedViper wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 8:25 pm
Have you noticed any patterns?
None that I not noticed, although I haven't looks for one. The only one I specifically remember is 200 per $1 on deli meat, which I hadn't used in months on either of our accounts.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1944 posts
602 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
TheHans wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 5:05 pm
His MC closed off for the month and I was thinking this was when the points from his MC purchases would show on his Optimum total in general. And I was right about that. But once again, it makes ZERO sense to me. The only thing that works is that there are four receipts and five entries (two from SDM). So I'm hoping maybe this will make sense to someone and someone might be able to explain it all, taking into account that hubby gets 30 points per $1 for the MC:

I have three receipts. Two are from the RCSS for $5.24 and $1.94. One is from the No Frills for $9.01. These amounts are NOT including any tax and are AFTER any and all discounts/redemptions. I have three points entries, two say "Loblaws Rewards" and one says "Mastercard Rewards." They are for 104 points and 38 points for the "Loblaws Rewards" ones and 139 points for the "Mastercard Rewards" one. When I figure out the points myself, I get (rounded) 157 points, 58 points and 270 points for the totals without tax X 30 points.

Then there's the SDM one -- that receipts is for $3.96 with the tax removed and after redemptions. From what I understand from reading here, SDM rounds down. So I'm figuring 90 points from the MC for the $3 X 30 points. BUT there is an entry for 136 points for "SDM Rewards" and then even another for "Shoppers Drug Mart 10X Bonus Rewards" for 612 points. But why? I have zero idea why there are 10X bonus rewards.

So when I add it all up, hubby got 1,029 points. And as far as I can tell, he should've received 575 points. So I'm not complaining from that perspective. But I 100% don't understand any of it!
Lone_Prodigy wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 3:36 pm
I was looking at my points yesterday and I am similarly puzzled. It should be 30 points per dollar at Loblaw's stores, and 15+30 at SDM.

From what I see, $5.24 = 104, $1.94 = 38, and $9.01 = 139. The first two match up, sort of: you are earning at a 2% rate (20 points per dollar), except it doesn't round off. The other 10 points per dollar should be part of your "Mastercard Rewards" entry.

Here are some of my recent transactions and points. I am paying with the PCWE card:

$2.25 at Shoppers = 15 SDM base points, 46 SDM bonus points, and 23 bonus MC points.
$4.49 at Shoppers = 60 SDM base points, 90 SDM bonus points, 45 bonus MC points.
$15.66 at RCSS = 314 Loblaws bonus points, 157 bonus MC points.
$2.50 at Loblaws = 50 Loblaws bonus points, 25 bonus MC points.

Missing the obvious fact that I'm not getting the 10x bonus at SDM, the 30 points per dollar is being divided up into 2 entries of "10% of the purchase price + 20% of the purchase price back in points". The problem is that the 10% entry displays once per day, so it'll combine ALL your purchases. So for example, I went to RCSS and Loblaw's on the same day so instead of 157 and 25, I get one "bonus MC" entry of 182. Yet the bonus Loblaw's points are given separately.

It's all terribly confusing.
But even with the 2% rate and the other 10 points per dollar as part of a general "Mastercard Rewards," it still doesn't add up. Plus if that's the case, I'm missing entries for the receipts I have. But I don't think I am. I think two go with RCSS purchases, one that's described differently goes with No-Frills and the SDM ones are clear with SDM entries. I'm going to have to phone once and for all I guess. But I have too much work over the next few days to add another headache haha. So it will have to wait a bit longer.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Jul 24, 2018
195 posts
78 upvotes
Southern Ontario
TheHans wrote:
His MC closed off for the month and I was thinking this was when the points from his MC purchases would show on his Optimum total in general. And I was right about that. But once again, it makes ZERO sense to me. The only thing that works is that there are four receipts and five entries (two from SDM). So I'm hoping maybe this will make sense to someone and someone might be able to explain it all, taking into account that hubby gets 30 points per $1 for the MC:

I have three receipts. Two are from the RCSS for $5.24 and $1.94. One is from the No Frills for $9.01. These amounts are NOT including any tax and are AFTER any and all discounts/redemptions. I have three points entries, two say "Loblaws Rewards" and one says "Mastercard Rewards." They are for 104 points and 38 points for the "Loblaws Rewards" ones and 139 points for the "Mastercard Rewards" one. When I figure out the points myself, I get (rounded) 157 points, 58 points and 270 points for the totals without tax X 30 points.

Then there's the SDM one -- that receipts is for $3.96 with the tax removed and after redemptions. From what I understand from reading here, SDM rounds down. So I'm figuring 90 points from the MC for the $3 X 30 points. BUT there is an entry for 136 points for "SDM Rewards" and then even another for "Shoppers Drug Mart 10X Bonus Rewards" for 612 points. But why? I have zero idea why there are 10X bonus rewards.

So when I add it all up, hubby got 1,029 points. And as far as I can tell, he should've received 575 points. So I'm not complaining from that perspective. But I 100% don't understand any of it! I'm always of the opinion that it's great when something weird works in your favour, but it can just as easily work against you and that will definitely happen. If I don't understand it, how will I know when it's happening?
1. You're talking about 30 points per $, so I'm assuming that you have the World Elite card, is that correct?

2. Can you please provide all receipt totals including the tax. When rewards are calculated on amounts charged to the PC Mastercard it's always on the full amount of the transactions, as PC Mastercard has no way of knowing whether that includes the tax or not.

3. The 10 points per $ for having a PC Mastercard and the 20 points per $ for it being a World Elite card credit separately to your PCO account. You still get 30 points per $ total, but they show up as two separate amounts.

4. SDM rounds down and is on the pre-tax amount, but that's only on the 15 points per $ that you get at the cash register. So if you spend $4.99 before tax, you get $4.00 x 15 = 60 points. The points you get on your PC Mastercard do not round down and they include whatever tax was charged.

5. 10X Bonus rewards is a misnomer - this is actually the 90 points per $ bonus you get for spending at SDM until December 31, 2018 (for new cardholders).

So here's a couple of examples:

a. You spend $30.13 at No Frills. You should get ($30.13 x 10 = 301) + ($30.13 x 20 = 603) = 904 points total.

b. You spend $4.99 x 1.13 HST = $5.64 at SDM. You should get ($4.00 x 15 = 60) points at the register + ($5.64 x 10 = 56) points on PC MC + ($5.64 x 20 = 113) points for World Elite + ($5.64 x 90 = 508) points for the SDM bonus

So re-run your calculations, and see if it works now.

And just to make things extra-complicated, if you have more than one transaction occurring on the same day or over the weekend, and they all post to your PC MC on the same day, then they sometimes combine the rewards for several transactions when the points are credited to your PCO account.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6635 posts
1322 upvotes
Joe Fresh current offer for 25% more value for points, I redeemed 80,000 points but only got credited for $100. It seems that is 20%, not 25%.

There was no option to redeem 75,000 points in the drop down order menu.

Is there some arcane rule or fine print I am unaware of? As far as I know you can only redeem points in $10 increments, so how can the points be worth 25% more?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1018 posts
739 upvotes
Winnipeg
bonterra wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 12:22 am
Joe Fresh current offer for 25% more value for points, I redeemed 80,000 points but only got credited for $100. It seems that is 20%, not 25%.

There was no option to redeem 75,000 points in the drop down order menu.

Is there some arcane rule or fine print I am unaware of? As far as I know you can only redeem points in $10 increments, so how can the points be worth 25% more?
What is 80 x 1.25?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1944 posts
602 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
TheRedViper wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 11:03 pm
And just to make things extra-complicated, if you have more than one transaction occurring on the same day or over the weekend, and they all post to your PC MC on the same day, then they sometimes combine the rewards for several transactions when the points are credited to your PCO account.
Well, if it's on the full amount, then it's even worse as I got less points than I figured I should and that was without tax included. But none of my receipts posted on the same day as the transactions. All posted after the credit card closed off. They were from different days reaching within a three week period.

Nothing shows up as two different amounts except the SDM receipt with the 10X bonus as a separate transaction. And even if I add all the points I got together with the exception of the 10X bonus from SDM, it's still short, by about 50%. So whether the points are addressed in one entry or two, they're wrong.

But the 10X bonus thing makes sense now relative to getting the new card.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6635 posts
1322 upvotes
Kelly M wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 12:33 am
What is 80 x 1.25?
So, that is 100. Their calculation is correct?

Thanks, I'm really not good at math.

Yup, I just figured it out. Thanks Kelly M!! Now I'm happy with my transaction.
Jul 24, 2018
195 posts
78 upvotes
Southern Ontario
TheHans wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 1:07 am
Well, if it's on the full amount, then it's even worse as I got less points than I figured I should and that was without tax included. But none of my receipts posted on the same day as the transactions. All posted after the credit card closed off. They were from different days reaching within a three week period.

Nothing shows up as two different amounts except the SDM receipt with the 10X bonus as a separate transaction. And even if I add all the points I got together with the exception of the 10X bonus from SDM, it's still short, by about 50%. So whether the points are addressed in one entry or two, they're wrong.
The only way I can keep track of it all is by using a spreadsheet. it really helps to be able to visualize everything in front of you
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6658 posts
4187 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TheRedViper wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 10:46 am
The only way I can keep track of it all is by using a spreadsheet. it really helps to be able to visualize everything in front of you
Agree...

Any points Program that doesn’t post in real time, and is used often, is best self tracked using a Spreadsheet

Don’t have a PCO PC MC... but I do exactly the same thing for our AirMiles Account
(2 Membership Cards & 2 CCs)
Only way to stay on top of what’s posted, and what’s still outstanding
Aug 7, 2015
181 posts
50 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Anyone know how I can opt out of Shoppers promotions? I feel like it's taking up promo slots that could be filled by Superstore promos, which is where I shop 99% of the time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9124 posts
8572 upvotes
Niroxu wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 7:41 pm
Anyone know how I can opt out of Shoppers promotions? I feel like it's taking up promo slots that could be filled by Superstore promos, which is where I shop 99% of the time.
I don't know how to get PCO to stop sending SDM offers. Just to point out that you are missing lot of opportunity to earn points from SDM to spend it at RCSS.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $41 6GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Jun 25, 2018
37 posts
31 upvotes
Southern NB
TheHans wrote:

I have modified my spreadsheet for your elite card values and the SDM 90x bonus.

I made the SDM receipt with 15% tax as the PCMC values are calculated on taxed amount rounded to 10 cents.. Don't know your tax rate or if it was all taxed.
SDM rounds down to nearest dollar for base point calculations
15+10+20+90=135

As has been noted the entries appear at different times. and the 10pts/$ everywhere points can be grouped together if posted on the same day.
Anyway. My spreadsheet image below shows a sum of 1080 points based on what i extrapolated from your writings.
2018-10-10_220819.jpg

Column G indicates superstore "ss" or shoppers "s" .
column M is 10pts/$ everywhere. can be grouped by post date at PCO site
column L is 20 pts/$ at pc stores. listed separate at PCO site
column K is 90 pts/$ at SDM stores. listed separate at PCO site
column P is 15 base pts/$ at SDM stores. rounded down on pretax amount. listed separate at PCO site
ADDED: column S is the sum of columns J to R

You mentioned that these entries appeared at once at end of statement date or something.
This has not been our experience.
SDM base points appear immediately, as do personal offers.
PCMC 10 pts appear after posting and processing, up to 3-4 days.
PCMC 20 pts appear after posting and normally before the PCMC 10 pts.
Cannot remember how/when the PCMC 90 pts posted as we only had the deal for a few weeks until mid aug. (existing card holder.)
I suspect that because of the mess up with the card delays, they may be processing these manually and god knows how they are doing that.
Ex. The pretax after tax amounts may be handled incorrectly or they are randomy grouping receipts and spiting out points hoping you do not care how they came up with them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6658 posts
4187 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
pointers wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 8:52 pm
I have modified my spreadsheet for your elite card values and the SDM 90x bonus.

I made the SDM receipt with 15% tax as the PCMC values are calculated on taxed amount rounded to 10 cents.. Don't know your tax rate or if it was all taxed.
SDM rounds down to nearest dollar for base point calculations
15+10+20+90=135

As has been noted the entries appear at different times. and the 10pts/$ everywhere points can be grouped together if posted on the same day.
Anyway. My spreadsheet image below shows a sum of 1080 points based on what i extrapolated from your writings.

2018-10-10_220819.jpg

Column G indicates superstore "ss" or shoppers "s" .
column M is 10pts/$ everywhere. can be grouped by post date at PCO site
column L is 20 pts/$ at pc stores. listed separate at PCO site
column K is 90 pts/$ at SDM stores. listed separate at PCO site
column P is 15 base pts/$ at SDM stores. rounded down on pretax amount. listed separate at PCO site
ADDED: column S is the sum of columns J to R

You mentioned that these entries appeared at once at end of statement date or something.
Cannot remember how/when the PCMC 90 pts posted as we only had the deal for a few weeks until mid aug. (existing card holder.)
I suspect that because of the mess up with the card delays, they may be processing these manually and god knows how they are doing that.
Ex. The pretax after tax amounts may be handled incorrectly or they are randomy grouping receipts and spiting out points hoping you do not care how they came up with them.
Awesome post
And so kind of you to share info & knowledge with other RFDers

Gotta say tho, this looks like a lot of work
Not that it isn’t worth it / important to stay on top of pending & posted
But it is a ton of work

Versus my AMs Spreadsheet
DATE - PARTNER - RETAILER - AMOUNT SPENT - AIRMILES DUE - PENDING / POSTED - DATE
Oct 1 - AirMiles Shops.ca - Rona.ca - $ 40 - 10x = 20 AMs - PENDING - Oct 1
Oct 1 - Rona - Rona.ca - $ 40 - 2 AMs - POSTED - Oct 10

Makes me sort of glad I haven’t signed up for a PC MC
Too much work to keep track, IMO
More exceptions that rules
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1944 posts
602 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
pointers wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks for doing that. I DO love spreadsheets. It's almost like you know me. :-) But so far it's a bit premature for me, albeit extremely impressive. All points associated specifically with hubby's MC -- that's ALL points -- show up as a lump once the credit card closes for the month. I only have two months to judge by though. When it happened after month one, I figured it had to do with connecting the Optimum card to the credit card, because that took some time. But then it happened again after month two. So my experience from that perspective is quite different than yours as only personalized offers show up right away for us.

For now, what I need is to contact Optimum and figure out with my four receipts what the five entries under hubby's points represent. Although two of the entries are for SDM, so that takes care of one receipt even though the points are incorrect. Once I understand why they're giving hubby the points they're giving, I'll know how to proceed.

I'm thinking the Optimum program doesn't work one way for everyone (even though it should) and so it possibly it can't be formalized on a single spreadsheet template. But having said that, I can certainly adjust your spreadsheet to suit my circumstances, when I know what they are. Thanks again.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)