Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 2:15 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14834 posts
1782 upvotes
Toronto
Jonric wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 3:56 pm
It seems possible that some stores don't particularly care about selling them. If they're relatively low-margin and I'm a franchise owner who feels most purchasers aren't likely to buy much else, especially things that are more profitable, either at the same time or later, I'd have only limited reason to want to sell them, and might decide to carry little or no stock.
So many thefts, it's not worth having them out. Even the glass has been broken for units, so those are no longer safe either. I don't blame them.
It's a ridiculous way to try and sell anything but ultimately, they don't care.
It IS store-by-store so ultimately, it's up to the associate / manager / staff to make this decision.

At this point in time, no one is going to walk out and go "WHERE ARE THE PS4's!!!"
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3741 posts
238 upvotes
Catalina26 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 9:25 pm
Oh wow, that’s a lot of points missing. Did you contact them already about it?

I shop in Etobicoke, hope it wasn’t my store. Not that it affects me in any way but that’s horrible.

Hope you get your points soon. The program does give a lot in return but lately it’s been ridiculous.
Thanks! Store is at 3010 Bloor, FWIW. Sent an email but no live chat until tomorrow (currently closed).

Hopefully they credit everything back, I was stockpiling points to help with Christmas Hushed Face
Proud member of SENS Army
Nov 21, 2009
289 posts
128 upvotes
Moncton
mself084 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 8:30 pm
Account got hacked AGAIN today... They took all $850 points in my account at two redemptions at a SDM in Etobicoke (I live in Ottawa). Sigh.

Find the optimum program fun, but I'm not getting any of my insiders points (always do inquiries after 2 mths), there's a technical issue where my click and collect orders don't accumulate points, I can't activate two step ordering without getting sign in errors, my account has been hacked 2-3 times... I don't get it.
Someone bought themselves a couple of gaming consoles. Bastards.

Loblaws has to get this program together; the whole thing just feels like it's held together with duct tape and baler twine. Hate to suggest it, bit I think they need to clean house with their IT dept and get some fresh blood in there. Don't expect them to be Apple or Amazon level of great but even Canadian Tire has a much better system than Loblaws.
May 28, 2012
9906 posts
2080 upvotes
Saskatoon
mself084 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 9:58 pm
Thanks! Store is at 3010 Bloor, FWIW. Sent an email but no live chat until tomorrow (currently closed).

Hopefully they credit everything back, I was stockpiling points to help with Christmas Hushed Face
I know someone who lost $750 points due to a hack - he got them back after a while but it was an ordeal. He saves his points for Xmas too. Now, he buys his groceries, adds a $100 gift card and redeems $100 worth of points. He saves the gift cards to use in December. Not quite the same as before but he now keeps a lot fewer points in his account (used to have at least $1000).
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
1434 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 11:48 pm
I know someone who lost $750 points due to a hack - he got them back after a while but it was an ordeal. He saves his points for Xmas too. Now, he buys his groceries, adds a $100 gift card and redeems $100 worth of points. He saves the gift cards to use in December. Not quite the same as before but he now keeps a lot fewer points in his account (used to have at least $1000).
Sorry, I thought you couldn't redeem points for gift cards anymore? Or did you mean he buys $100 worth of groceries and also buys $100 giftcard at the same time to use for later? If it's the second then that's a bit of a odd way to do things.
May 28, 2012
9906 posts
2080 upvotes
Saskatoon
silverele wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 11:59 pm
Sorry, I thought you couldn't redeem points for gift cards anymore? Or did you mean he buys $100 worth of groceries and also buys $100 giftcard at the same time to use for later? If it's the second then that's a bit of a odd way to do things.
You are correct, you can't redeem points for gift cards but he's redeeming points on his grocery portion. It's a way of using your points to bring down your points balance. Most people wouldn't bother but he dealt with someone hacking into his account and stealing his points, so he felt it was safer to keep a lower points balance.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
1434 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
mself084 wrote:
Account got hacked AGAIN today... They took all $850 points in my account at two redemptions at a SDM in Etobicoke (I live in Ottawa). Sigh.

Find the optimum program fun, but I'm not getting any of my insiders points (always do inquiries after 2 mths), there's a technical issue where my click and collect orders don't accumulate points, I can't activate two step ordering without getting sign in errors, my account has been hacked 2-3 times... I don't get it.
Each time you are hacked, do you change all your Optimum card numbers? Is it possible that it's the same people and they just keep using your same Optimum card numbers again and again? If they had your card number, they wouldn't need to log into your account.

Maybe try getting a new card, activing it and deleting every old card that you have to protect yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6255 posts
3846 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Mars2012 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 11:48 pm

silverele wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 11:59 pm

Mars2012 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 12:04 am
You are correct, you can't redeem points for gift cards but he's redeeming points on his grocery portion. It's a way of using your points to bring down your points balance. Most people wouldn't bother but he dealt with someone hacking into his account and stealing his points, so he felt it was safer to keep a lower points balance.
Nothing strange about this at all. Since joining RFD I have discovered a lot of people here who find ways “to invest” in GCs when it makes financial sense* ... this would certainly be one way to take the PCO Points home with you (knowing you were going to spend $ 100 at the Grocery Store anyhow)

The second part of this smart plan, is when ya redeem the GC you do it all in one shot... without leaving a balance.

GCs are most often compromised by GC Scams when there is a partial balance...

* Taking advantage of GC Promos are very popular for AirMiles Collectors
Especially for Grocery Stores (Sobey’s, Metro, IGA etc)
And of course there is the ongoing GC Topic over in the HOT DEALS FORUM that @trystee maintains
A year ago I wasn’t into GCs, now I see the benefit and buy them when things are favourable
(Purchase Discounts - Bonus Miles / Points)
Definitely Looking forward to the Annual SDM GC Blowout in Nov around Black Friday
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3741 posts
238 upvotes
silverele wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 12:08 am
Each time you are hacked, do you change all your Optimum card numbers? Is it possible that it's the same people and they just keep using your same Optimum card numbers again and again? If they had your card number, they wouldn't need to log into your account.

Maybe try getting a new card, activing it and deleting every old card that you have to protect yourself.
Thanks! This was my thought too. I'm going to ask for a new optimum card and to remove the old one. I've never used a physical card before (always MasterCard) but the redemptions happen via the card, apparently.

I'll keep everyone posted. Hopefully a quick resolution but as I'm finding, if it's anything over $5 worth of points it takes weeks if not months to get a reply from PCO.
Oct 11, 2012
68 posts
39 upvotes
mself084 wrote:

Whoa! Just brutal. Hope this works out for you. There’s gotta be a special place in hell for hackers.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3741 posts
238 upvotes
AllenWayne wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 8:57 am
Whoa! Just brutal. Hope this works out for you. There’s gotta be a special place in hell for hackers.
Just got an email from SDM Royal York (I guess where he or she redeemed) asking to take a survey on my shopping experience. Lol.
Oct 14, 2017
740 posts
456 upvotes
GTA
Mars2012 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 12:04 am
If he's buying $100 or more in groceries, his points are being redeemed against them, and he's paying $100 in actual currency for the GC. He can tell himself he's paying for the groceries and redeeming for the GC, but that's all it is, telling himself. If he feels better thinking this way, fine for him, but it's not true. It does bring down his point balance by 100k, but so would just redeeming the 100k without adding the GC.

It would be partially true if he's buying less than $100 in groceries, adding a $100 GC and redeeming 100k points. For example, a 100k redemption when buying $60 in groceries and a $100 CG would mean that since it's only possible to redeem 60k against the groceries, the other 40k is being redeemed against the GC. I wouldn't expect this to be possible, but unless people have tried unsuccessfully, there's some chance it could.
Dec 8, 2011
517 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
mself084 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 9:18 am
Just got an email from SDM Royal York (I guess where he or she redeemed) asking to take a survey on my shopping experience. Lol.
You should fill out the survey and tell them what you think. Lol
Oct 14, 2017
740 posts
456 upvotes
GTA
Catalina26 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 11:36 am
If you can, do this in a calm manner that doesn't make it easy for them to write off your comments as exaggerated ones like people can make when they're frustrated or angry. "Giving them a piece of your mind" can feel better in the short-term, but doing so makes negative feedback less likely to be taken seriously, not more.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3741 posts
238 upvotes
Catalina26 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 11:36 am
Jonric wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 12:27 pm
If you can, do this in a calm manner that doesn't make it easy for them to write off your comments as exaggerated ones like people can make when they're frustrated or angry. "Giving them a piece of your mind" can feel better in the short-term, but doing so makes negative feedback less likely to be taken seriously, not more.
Just filled out the survey. Lol. Thanks!

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

newfbc, Viracocha