Shopping Discussion

Locked: PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:14 am
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4906 posts
944 upvotes
GTA
200K in points.

Just not sure what to redeem and from which chain...

If I just wait for certain Loblaws products to go on sale I would accumulate faster than I can run down the balance.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9934 posts
4411 upvotes
Toronto
I'll redeem for you, less hassle for you.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7064 posts
4553 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
@LongLiveRFD

Without the Gift Card option... (gone for several years now due to a HUGE Points Scam)
there are not a lot of opportunities outside of what the 2 Chains Offer Instore

Bonus Redemption Days

Shoppers Drug Mart Group = Happens regularly, once every 4 to 6 weeks

PC+ Loblaws Group = Happens once or twice a year

I know some folks swear by the Electronics they buy on Bonus Redemption Days
Be that for themselves, or to flip for sale on the likes of Kijiji etc
The Nintendo Switch has been particularly popular in this endeavour

Most of us though just earn & redeem as best we can when things are optimal
Combining sale pricing with our Offers

A strategic shopper can make a return on their money spent over 20%
Potentially more if you also use a PCO CC... or another CC with Perks to pay for all your purchases
NO OTHER Grocery or Drugstore offers comparitive deals / pricing in the long run

So many of us just consider it all money in the bank
What you don’t spend on these items you have to put towards other things

BTW... there is a whole mega thread on RFD dedicated to the PCO Program
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/pc-opti ... s-2040084/
More than likely it’s where the Mods will move your post
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3463 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver
Just make an exception to your rule of not shopping at any PCO locations. Make a couple of special trips there for your groceries and redeem all of your points.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4906 posts
944 upvotes
GTA
Problem with those rewards programs/CC offerings is that they will all end up defaulting at some point, even if the points don't expire.

@PointsHubby probably have nailed it. It's just that I'm new cardholder that I have not seen a Redemption Day offering to know whether I'd get the highest return on my PC WEMC.

Margins on electronic are probably thin already, while the magnitude of discount on certain categories could be more rewarding i.e. replenishing no-perishables such as medical/cosmetic/hygiene? such that it beats savings from "Everyday Low Priced" grocery items.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3590 posts
1230 upvotes
Mississauga
Redeem at Shoppers for jock itch and roid cream. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

We do groceries at Loblaw’s so the points program is great for getting $$ off our grocery bill every once in a while.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
6626 posts
2783 upvotes
North York
Points can be redeemed at No Frills too. With minimum redemption amount of $10, PCO points are not tough to use at all. Many here actually treat it as cash.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2143 posts
496 upvotes
Ontario
Are folks still getting those weekly text PCO offers from SDM?

I haven't gotten one in ages. Used to get them weekly.

Strange thing is, looking through my phone but don't see a history of them...
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery 4% CTC 5 c/L CTC/Husky free roadside 1% on bill pay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Nov 13, 2005
104 posts
7 upvotes
Montreal
minimalist wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:09 am

Have you shopped at SDM recently? Foe me, if I don't use it for a while, I would stop receiving those weekly offers.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7064 posts
4553 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
minimalist wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:09 am

Every week.

And before Christmas... it was like every day.

Most recent one came in on Monday... advertising that Tuesday was Family & Friends Day with 20% Off
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14357 posts
6733 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:32 pm
Problem with those rewards programs/CC offerings is that they will all end up defaulting at some point, even if the points don't expire.
Which ones for example?

ISTM we're relatively safe with PCO, at least in the short to medium term, because:
1. It's much harder to change a round number like 1,000 pts equals $1 without people noticing. It's much easier to do that with airline miles, e.g. raising the cost of a "free" flight from 20,000 miles to 25,000 miles, never mind the hidden "scamcharges,"
2. Loblaws has lost a lot of goodwill in the past year over the bread price fixing scandal, as well as the botched implementation of PCO, the stolen points, etc. They don't need any more bad publicity.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Oct 14, 2017
790 posts
524 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:36 am
2. Loblaws has lost a lot of goodwill in the past year over the bread price fixing scandal, as well as the botched implementation of PCO, the stolen points, etc. They don't need any more bad publicity.
Lost goodwill can be a double-edged sword. A company that has already taken multiple hits to its brand image can decide that it has less to lose by doing something it knows will be unpopular but deems necessary when public opinion is already unfavorable.
Jul 13, 2015
152 posts
42 upvotes
Ontario
Anyone else not receiving the 20 x's on milk @ Shopper's weekly now? My offers for the past month or so have only gave it to me every other week. Not sure what's going on there...
May 28, 2012
9977 posts
2129 upvotes
Saskatoon
DMac90 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:37 am
Anyone else not receiving the 20 x's on milk @ Shopper's weekly now? My offers for the past month or so have only gave it to me every other week. Not sure what's going on there...
Still getting an offer weekly for milk.
May 19, 2015
763 posts
288 upvotes
DMac90 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:37 am
I was getting it every other week until I started buying it every time it showed up - now I get it weekly.

Also, question for everyone, I have a spend $50 at NF get 5000 points. It says expiring Jan 12th (ie tomorrow). Does that mean tomorrow in the sense of 11:59pm Saturday or as in it's expiring right when it's 0:01 AM on Saturday?

I really want to stack it with the rice sale this weekend plus my points for buying rice.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️