Shopping Discussion

Locked: PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:14 am
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11604 posts
1871 upvotes
Markham
SignedA wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:24 am
I was getting it every other week until I started buying it every time it showed up - now I get it weekly.

Also, question for everyone, I have a spend $50 at NF get 5000 points. It says expiring Jan 12th (ie tomorrow). Does that mean tomorrow in the sense of 11:59pm Saturday or as in it's expiring right when it's 0:01 AM on Saturday?

I really want to stack it with the rice sale this weekend plus my points for buying rice.
Should be good till close tomorrow. Tomorrow it will change to "Ends Today"
May 19, 2015
763 posts
288 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:34 am
Perfect! Thanks for confirming that's what I thought but I wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to miss out on the points :D
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2017 posts
638 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
Jonric wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:27 am
Lost goodwill can be a double-edged sword. A company that has already taken multiple hits to its brand image can decide that it has less to lose by doing something it knows will be unpopular but deems necessary when public opinion is already unfavorable.
I agree with that. I'd also say that for a corporation like Loblaw that primarily offers something people can't live without, like food, it simply doesn't care that much if its image takes a hit. It sometimes goes with the "death by a thousand cuts" strategy, like reducing the value of the points in some personal offers, which people here have mentioned. It's happened to me also. It's still a great program, though not quite as great. I doubt Loblaw worries though, and I don't think Galen Weston will be living on the street this year, because peoples gots-ta eat. :-)
Last edited by TheHans on Jan 11th, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4906 posts
944 upvotes
GTA
Where can I find past offerings for Redeem Day deals?

Do SDM send those via email? Checked the PCO app, only sees 4 offers i.e. Esso 2,500 pnt for $75 and some basic groceries.

Personally, I would avoid redeeming the points on low margin products such as grocery.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
13729 posts
2540 upvotes
Loblaw's is fine. They have little competition in the market (besides Walmart) and I doubt they're losing money with PCO: you don't get any base points at non-SDM stores so it's not that easy for the average shopper to hit 10,000. Either you buy regular-priced targeted offers or higher-priced goods at Shoppers to get points, and then redeem immediately at 10,000 points. Meanwhile, PCO gets your shopping habits and information, which in the long run is more valuable than the few thousand points they give out.

Plus they've diversified their brands enough to give the semblance of competition while catering to their demographics.

Unless their competition comes out with their own rewards programs and starts siphoning away Loblaw's customers, I don't think PCO is changing (for the worse) anytime soon.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1240 posts
406 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
The English language is confusing. If someone says ‘I will be on vacation until Jan. 15.’, is he coming back on Jan. 15 or 16?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14358 posts
6733 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ml88888888 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:48 pm
The English language is confusing. If someone says ‘I will be on vacation until Jan. 15.’, is he coming back on Jan. 15 or 16?
I always say something like, "I'll be away until 16 Jan at 09:00" to avoid that confusion. I also always use 24-hour time rather than 12-hour am/pm ;)
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1240 posts
406 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:56 pm
I always say something like, "I'll be away until 16 Jan at 09:00" to avoid that confusion. I also always use 24-hour time rather than 12-hour am/pm ;)
To me until means including that day, just like the word expires. I always state my return day to make sure no confusion. I would say ‘I will be on vacation until Jan. 15, returning on Jan. 16.’.
Oct 14, 2017
790 posts
524 upvotes
GTA
TheHans wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:47 pm
I agree with that. I'd also say that for a corporation like Loblaw that primarily offers something people can't live without, like food, it simply doesn't care that much if its image takes a hit. It sometimes go with the "death by a thousand cuts" strategy, like reducing the value of the points in some personal offers, which people here have mentioned. It's happened to me also. It's still a great program, though not quite as great. I doubt Loblaw worries though, and I don't think Galen Weston will be living on the street this year, because peoples gots-ta eat. :-)
And I agree right back. Loblaw has no real reason for concern since PCO is still much better than any other loyalty program in the market segments where the PCO banners compete. I assume some people prefer Air Miles, but they're not apples to apples.
Dec 24, 2018
2 posts
Me and my wife have two separate PCO accounts and haven't linked into a household hoping to get more offers. We have been paying through our PC WE MC (I am the primary account holder)

This week I got almost 20 offers, however on my wife's PCO account she only got 5.

Is such a low count of offers in a given week a common thing?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2017 posts
638 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
MustafaA141089 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:30 pm
Me and my wife have two separate PCO accounts and haven't linked into a household hoping to get more offers. We have been paying through our PC WE MC (I am the primary account holder)
This week I got almost 20 offers, however on my wife's PCO account she only got 5.
Is such a low count of offers in a given week a common thing?
My husband and I have our accounts set up the same as yours, including the MC. I haven't seen much difference in the number of offers. Generally neither of us gets a ton. Where I see the difference sometimes is on the value of the offers, where (for example) hubby has 300 points for X and I have 150p for X. But that seems more based on how many points each of us has on the account in total.

Overall, it's been better for us keeping the separate accounts. I think we get more offers in total than we would have as a household.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Nov 11, 2016
689 posts
389 upvotes
Halifax
Am I the ONLY fan of the Household Account ?
Loving the new PC Optimum program !
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7064 posts
4553 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Lone_Prodigy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:36 pm
Loblaw's is fine. They have little competition in the market (besides Walmart) and I doubt they're losing money with PCO: you don't get any base points at non-SDM stores so it's not that easy for the average shopper to hit 10,000.

Either you buy regular-priced targeted offers or higher-priced goods at Shoppers to get points, and then redeem immediately at 10,000 points.

Meanwhile, PCO gets your shopping habits and information, which in the long run is more valuable than the few thousand points they give out.

Plus they've diversified their brands enough to give the semblance of competition while catering to their demographics.

Unless their competition comes out with their own rewards programs and starts siphoning away Loblaw's customers, I don't think PCO is changing (for the worse) anytime soon.
OR...

You don’t

Nothing says you have to redeem at the 10,000 = $ 10 mark at the SDM Group Stores

Infact, I would argue that doing so everytime you accumulate $ 10 worth of points is a HUGE WASTE

With Bonus Redemption Days where you REDEEM POINTS & EARN POINTS BACK ... in BOTH Store Groups, you are making your Points = Money go a lot farther

And in BOTH Store Groups you are allowed to redeem up to 500,000 = $ 500 in one transaction

So honestly... although the Earn Process May be different at the two Store Groups (SDM having Base Points in addition to Personal Offers)

The Redemption Process is exactly the same

And ultimately, so is any info collected on your Shopping Habits

PS... also, getting to 10,000 Points in either Chain is relatively easy / quick in my experience.
Which makes me wonder ... are you fully engaged in the program ?
Have you merged your OLD SDM Account into the NEW PCO Account
Are you looking at your Weekly Offers on your PCO Account ?
Are you taking advantage of BONUS Earn Days (ie 20x the Points etc)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7064 posts
4553 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
RolandCouch wrote:
This

Weekly Offers run from 12:01 AM local time Thursday until 11:59 PM local time Wednesday

Other offers are similar ... if it says ends tomorrow... then it’s until 11:59 PM on whatever tomorrow’s date is
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7064 posts
4553 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:09 pm
Where can I find past offerings for Redeem Day deals?

Do SDM send those via email? Checked the PCO app, only sees 4 offers i.e. Esso 2,500 pnt for $75 and some basic groceries.

Personally, I would avoid redeeming the points on low margin products such as grocery.
Redemption Days are ALWAYS announced in the Flyers
And by emails or txt messages from either SDM or PC+ Group ... you’ll hear about them that way too

And they are pretty much always talked about here in the RFD Thread
As someone usually has a Question
Or someone else a strategy they wish to share

The last SDM Redemption Event was I believe mid December
So SDM will no doubt have another one soon (as they seem to be on a 4 to 6 week cycle)
This week’s flyer is featuring a 20x the Points Event ... which happens TODAY - Saturday ~ January 12th