Shopping Discussion

PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 1:07 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6994 posts
4500 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
MustafaA141089 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:30 pm
Me and my wife have two separate PCO accounts and haven't linked into a household hoping to get more offers. We have been paying through our PC WE MC (I am the primary account holder)

This week I got almost 20 offers, however on my wife's PCO account she only got 5.

Is such a low count of offers in a given week a common thing?
TheHans wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:47 pm
My husband and I have our accounts set up the same as yours, including the MC. I haven't seen much difference in the number of offers. Generally neither of us gets a ton. Where I see the difference sometimes is on the value of the offers, where (for example) hubby has 300 points for X and I have 150p for X. But that seems more based on how many points each of us has on the account in total.

Overall, it's been better for us keeping the separate accounts. I think we get more offers in total than we would have as a household.
This

It truly is about how much you use your cards, and a matter of time... and points accumulation

We each have our own cards.

Carried over this way from when the 2 Programs merged. I was the heavy grocery shopper, SO was the SDM shopper.

We began the NEW PCO Program as such. So starting out I got way more offers than they did. Over time we have grown to use whichever card makes the most sense for the purchase we are making. We do this by checking BOTH accounts for our Personal Offers, and we traded off our PCO Key Tags to the other spouse.

YES... it’s a bit more work, keeping tabs on 2 accounts.

BUT we like the rewards it brings.

First off we get way more offers than we would with a PCO Household Account. The number of offers have grown thru use from 20 + 5 or so, now up to being almost even.

Right now I have 25 Offers
* 22 on Grocery Items
* 2 on OTC Meds
* and 1 Loblaws Exclusive WUS Offer on Produce

My SO has 17 Offers
* 15 on Grocery Items
* 1 for Bic Lighters
* and 1 Loblaws Exclusive WUS Offer on Produce

We will either tag team our Grocery check out (dividing up the items into 2 orders)

Or if we feel nothing is urgent from one of the Accounts (or an incredible deal)
Then use the DELAY feature on the account to push them onto next week
(You can delay up to 4 Regular items a week ... must be done Wednesday before Midnight)

We often use the DELAY feature to bump items we get the same on BOTH accounts
Cause it’s typically stuff we buy often ... like Baked In Store Bread
We buy Baguettes every week

So if we both have the offer, then we DELAY it to use on the other’s account next week

All in, it adds up to a lot of points = money earned off stuff we were going to buy anyhow
(average big cart of groceries, we are getting 10% OR MORE back in Points... quick strategic shops, the Return is even higher ... so the average for the year is probably in the 15% to 20% + range)

Neutral Face I really need to do a Spreadsheet on PCO Points for a full year (just too lazy I guess)

And we don’t have a PC MC, nor do we belong to the PC Insiders Club

If we did, our savings / returns would no doubt be even higher (well, discounting the costs of fees)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6994 posts
4500 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
rdiamond1 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:59 am
Am I the ONLY fan of the Household Account ?
Nah, there are certainly others.

I just personally cannot see why anyone would want to get say 20 Offers a week, when they could otherwise access 42 (25 + 17) like I am this week ... see my post above # 10906

More offers = more opportunities to earn points = more money in my pocket
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
2397 posts
546 upvotes
So two weeks ago I was able to successfully stack the following on diapers and formula...

- PC insiders offer (15x points)
- In store offer (45k WUS $125)
- Mobile offer (100 points for every $1 spent on diapers and formula)

However, today I noticed that the PC insiders offer did not stack with the following offers

- In store offer (20x WUS $50)

Perhaps they changed their system?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2013 posts
635 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:11 pm
Or if we feel nothing is urgent from one of the Accounts (or an incredible deal)
Then use the DELAY feature on the account to push them onto next week
(You can delay up to 4 Regular items a week ... must be done Wednesday before Midnight)

We often use the DELAY feature to bump items we get the same on BOTH accounts
Cause it’s typically stuff we buy often ... like Baked In Store Bread
We buy Baguettes every week
For hubby and I, we don't get the multitude of offers you get and others get from what I've noticed. I'm guessing it's based on our modest spending habits in general. I thought *possibly* when hubby got the PC MC, it would increase the offers, but that's not what's happened so far. The things we buy the most of on a continuous basis are some specific produce items.

Since prices have gone berserk (due to the endless greed of Loblaw corp. et al) and the value of offers in somes case has decreased, the delay feature for four items has been a bonus.

For instance, I might have an offer for celery. And since celery costs more than my Telus bill now (OK, hyperbole, but it's expensive) I hold it over to the following week when I see I'm getting celery again AND someone has celery on sale so I can price match at the Superstore or No-Frills. Just an example. It's a great feature!
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6994 posts
4500 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TheHans wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:50 pm
For hubby and I, we don't get the multitude of offers you get and others get from what I've noticed. I'm guessing it's based on our modest spending habits in general. I thought *possibly* when hubby got the PC MC, it would increase the offers, but that's not what's happened so far. The things we buy the most of on a continuous basis are some specific produce items.

Since prices have gone berserk (due to the endless greed of Loblaw corp. among others) and the value of offers in somes case has decreased, the delay feature for four items has been a bonus.

For instance, I might have an offer for celery. And since celery costs more than my Telus bill now (OK, hyperbole, but it's expensive) I hold it over to the following week when I see I'm getting celery again AND someone has celery on sale so I can price match at the Superstore or No-Frills. Just an example. It's a great feature!
In the last year, we too have taken to shopping around more for groceries as not only have prices gone up ...
But COMPETITION for our Grocery Dollars has also increased

Where we were previously almost PC+ Exclusive shoppers
With the occasional stop at Farm Boy

We now plan out our shopping trips by checking out ALL the weekly flyers

Living in Eastern Ontario, on the doorstep to West Quebec, and the US Border we have access to a lot of options

Our day to day / weekly shopping still happens primarily at Loblaws
But if we are out and about anyhow, we definitely look at the likes of IGA, Metro, Sobey’s, etc
And what they have on sale / promo (like yesterday’s AMs Blue Friday at Sobey’s)
Just means we gotta plan for the stop, and bring along a cooler in the summertime

Same with Costco. We now plan visits there more often ... up from every few months to once a month.
It has grown to become our primary source for Fresh Meats & Poultry

All that considered, except for the PCO early days (Feb & March 2018)
The number of our Offers thru PCO have been good / growing
Even though we have been splitting up our Grocery spending
Probably because, when a great PCO Offer does come along we take full advantage

Like the Fresh Produce Offer that I have this week ... Get a 1000 Pts for Every $ 10

I will use that on a pile of produce. Some will be used immediately, some in the days next week, and some will be cleaned up and frozen for later use. Extra time & effort, but at 10% Earn Rate worth it
Jul 18, 2007
79 posts
49 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jt05mi wrote: So two weeks ago I was able to successfully stack the following on diapers and formula...

- PC insiders offer (15x points)
- In store offer (45k WUS $125)

However, today I noticed that the PC insiders offer did not stack with the following offers

- In store offer (20x WUS $50)

Perhaps they changed their system?
Same, any idea?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2013 posts
635 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:27 pm
In the last year, we too have taken to shopping around more for groceries as not only have prices gone up ...
But COMPETITION for our Grocery Dollars has also increased

Where we were previously almost PC+ Exclusive shoppers
With the occasional stop at Farm Boy

We now plan out our shopping trips by checking out ALL the weekly flyers

Living in Eastern Ontario, on the doorstep to West Quebec, and the US Border we have access to a lot of options
I had to laugh when I read this. If there was ever proof of how different the people on here are as shoppers despite using the same program, this would be it. There are things we do the same, like check all the flyers to try and save as much as possible.

BUT -- we live in a rural, agricultural area in B.C. There's WAY less competition in supermarkets. The Superstore is a long drive, though we do it quite often. That same city has a variety of other supermarkets and we can can PM with the Superstore or No-Frills. That of course helps with more value for our points.

The area we live in has lots and lots of produce in the summer. And if you never thought about food waste, it's because you never lived in a area like ours. As an example, we get hundreds and hundreds of pounds of apples around September and they're all free. The reason they're free is because the packing house allows us to ravage through the bins and bins of apples that would go to compost because the supermarkets don't want them. They're too big, or too small, or not green enough or not red enough...you get it. They are always perfectly fine and 100% fresh. We generally get around 250 pounds for over the winter and they ultimately last us until late spring, where we start stocking up again. We could get thousands of pounds if we had anywhere to put them - Food waste in action. We also get tomatoes, every type of pepper you can imagine, peaches, for a song. We use them fresh and freeze tons.

Our issue with food costs therefore is more general grocery items (tomato paste, mustard, spices, almond milk...) and produce that cannot be frozen and kept and/or isn't grown locally. Like lettuce, celery, potatoes. We always need to replenish things like this.

We rarely if at all get that produce offer you mentioned for produce overall, like 1000 points for $10 in produce. That one's like gold for us haha.
Last edited by TheHans on Jan 12th, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Nov 11, 2016
671 posts
374 upvotes
Halifax
gagigagu wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:49 pm
Same, any idea?
This was mentioned by @Snowcow and @Catalina26 26 in posts 10837, 10838 and 10840 that certain offers were not stacking with PC Insiders.
The mentioned a "clause ".
I believe their experience was with PC Organics.
I believe Snowcow felt it diluted the PC Insiders program with the changes that had been made.
Loving the new PC Optimum program !
Apr 22, 2015
61 posts
35 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
rdiamond1 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:48 pm
This was mentioned by @Snowcow and @Catalina26 26 in posts 10837, 10838 and 10840 that certain offers were not stacking with PC Insiders.
The mentioned a "clause ".
I believe their experience was with PC Organics.
I believe Snowcow felt it diluted the PC Insiders program with the changes that had been made.
They nerfed the 20x. You may be better off on those days where it's like 25k pts for 75$ spend
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
13714 posts
2518 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 2:22 pm
OR...

You don’t

Nothing says you have to redeem at the 10,000 = $ 10 mark at the SDM Group Stores

Infact, I would argue that doing so everytime you accumulate $ 10 worth of points is a HUGE WASTE

With Bonus Redemption Days where you REDEEM POINTS & EARN POINTS BACK ... in BOTH Store Groups, you are making your Points = Money go a lot farther

And in BOTH Store Groups you are allowed to redeem up to 500,000 = $ 500 in one transaction

So honestly... although the Earn Process May be different at the two Store Groups (SDM having Base Points in addition to Personal Offers)

The Redemption Process is exactly the same

And ultimately, so is any info collected on your Shopping Habits

PS... also, getting to 10,000 Points in either Chain is relatively easy / quick in my experience.
Which makes me wonder ... are you fully engaged in the program ?
Have you merged your OLD SDM Account into the NEW PCO Account
Are you looking at your Weekly Offers on your PCO Account ?
Are you taking advantage of BONUS Earn Days (ie 20x the Points etc)
Perhaps I should've clarified better, but I was referring to the average shopper use case. People in this thread aren't average shoppers and although it feels like we're ripping off Loblaws on the daily, the program is profitable and sustained by the majority, so I don't see it going anywhere.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9273 posts
8648 upvotes
kangarooz wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 11:53 am
any one got the PC Black Elite card? I was looking at the bill, I dont seem to be able to find how many points i have earned.
Login to you account online. Click on each transaction to view the points.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $38 5GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Nov 11, 2016
671 posts
374 upvotes
Halifax
kangarooz wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 11:53 am
any one got the PC Black Elite card? I was looking at the bill, I dont seem to be able to find how many points i have earned.
Go online and clink on each transaction and it will tell you exactly how many points you received from it.
There is no info really on the statement.
Loving the new PC Optimum program !
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6994 posts
4500 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
kangarooz wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 12:09 pm
hm... thanks guys for the responses, can i check it from the app? like a monthly total? seems quite annoying as its easy for me to check but my mom is always asking about hers and if she can check it.
The App is decent, it does a lot of stuff the website does... but not everything.

You might want to check out the Account tab, then click Points to see your latest transactions.
(The App lists everyth8ng for the last 45 days... although transaction by transaction... not a grand total)

Works for me, although I don’t have a PC Financial CC linked to my PCO Account.

Be aware though, most RFDers have reported they only have the ability to link up ONE PCO Account to the App. So if it’s your own on your device ... then you still might have to access Mom’s Account Data via the PCO Website directly.