Shopping Discussion

Locked: PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:14 am
Dec 7, 2016
106 posts
35 upvotes
I've been collecting PC points with my debit card since the program started. I used thousands of them about 5 yrs ago to buy gift cards to buy a big screen tv. Now i have about $215. worth that have taken me years to accumulate. Since PC is now Simpli and so many things have changed, the debit cards no longer let you get points for your cloth grocery bags that you use. I learned this today. If I get a PC Fin. Mastercard I can then get points for my cloth bags. Well that means another credit card and another monthly bill all for not that many points. I have one of the red PC Plus cards that lets me get points at No Frills gas bar but that's all the good it does me.

I have a BMO air miles Mastercard that is of much better use to me so I really dont want yet another credit card. It's just not that important to me. So, I cant buy gift cards with my accumulated points anymore, I can use them for groceries or in Superstore where they have a variety of other items like clothes, electronics etc. which I dont actually want to buy there. I wish I'd known this change was going to happen and I'd have bought gift cards while I could have with my points. It probably was there in the fine print somewhere but I didnt see it.

I'm just venting because I'm really annoyed about this.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2015
1289 posts
1508 upvotes
The "no gift cards" for PC points was a long time ago....
Dec 7, 2016
106 posts
35 upvotes
Yes I know that now. It ended 6 mos or so ago, so the rep on the phone said. I did not know that til today as I was saving my points to buy something substantial, but now that's not going to happen. I may use my $215 worth of points at SuperStore for Xmas presents and then be done with it. I'd rather have air miles from my mastercard than be pushed into a PC Fin. credit card I dont want or need.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Am I understanding correctly that we can now spend PC points at SDM? Can I just state I want to use points and hand over my PCMC like the grocery stores?
Dec 7, 2016
106 posts
35 upvotes
I'm not totally sure but I think you cant do that until Feb. 1/18.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
My wife just told me she saw Joe Fresh small clothing items at SDM. Where is that date from? Thx
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
AncasterRFD wrote: Am I understanding correctly that we can now spend PC points at SDM? Can I just state I want to use points and hand over my PCMC like the grocery stores?
Being discussed in "Shoppers Optimum/PC Plus to merge into PC Optimum on Feb 2018" thread

shoppers-optimum-pc-plus-merge-into-pc- ... 8-2140873/
Dec 7, 2016
106 posts
35 upvotes
It was on the tv news tonite that the merger will be Feb. 1/18.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27757 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
funkynassau123 wrote: I've been collecting PC points with my debit card since the program started. I used thousands of them about 5 yrs ago to buy gift cards to buy a big screen tv. Now i have about $215. worth that have taken me years to accumulate. Since PC is now Simpli and so many things have changed, the debit cards no longer let you get points for your cloth grocery bags that you use. I learned this today. If I get a PC Fin. Mastercard I can then get points for my cloth bags. Well that means another credit card and another monthly bill all for not that many points. I have one of the red PC Plus cards that lets me get points at No Frills gas bar but that's all the good it does me.

I have a BMO air miles Mastercard that is of much better use to me so I really dont want yet another credit card. It's just not that important to me. So, I cant buy gift cards with my accumulated points anymore, I can use them for groceries or in Superstore where they have a variety of other items like clothes, electronics etc. which I dont actually want to buy there. I wish I'd known this change was going to happen and I'd have bought gift cards while I could have with my points. It probably was there in the fine print somewhere but I didnt see it.

I'm just venting because I'm really annoyed about this.
Vent away... it is indeed good for the soul.

In the meantime, let me give you some other thoughts on the PC Plus Program (and no doubt they'll carry thru to PC Optimum in the months to come)

1- Ya I heard about the Debit Card situation going over to Simpli. Seems now that only the PC MasterCard as been retained by Presidents Choice Financial.

2- PC Plus Card (the red one with the photo of fruit ?) anyways... it is currently good at all the Loblaws Group of stores... so not just good at the No Frills Gas Bar.

3- To make the PC Plus red card work for you, you have to load your offers every week (clearly you have internet, so easy enough to do). Then if you buy and offer you get points. Offers are based on what you regularly buy (the website actually has a link that shows the top 100 items you buy most often). If you have the app, say on a smart phone, then you can manipulate the program even more by DELAY & DELETING Offers.

Plus only thru having the PC Plus Account active (subscribe to emails) can you also ensure that you receive all the BONUS Opportunities. That is how I originally found out about the PC Plus Bonus Redemption Event that happened back in June.
Dec 7, 2016
106 posts
35 upvotes
Thank you for your reply. I knew most of what you told me here. I understand how the PC Plus website works, loading offers etc. I have the app on my phone. I havent deleted the app or anything else yet, I'm just really PO'd at how they've changed something that worked perfectly for me. I dont want another credit card, I'd rather collect air miles with my Mastercard. It seems like things get changed and not always for the better.

Thanks!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27757 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
funkynassau123 wrote: Thank you for your reply. I knew most of what you told me here. I understand how the PC Plus website works, loading offers etc. I have the app on my phone. I havent deleted the app or anything else yet, I'm just really PO'd at how they've changed something that worked perfectly for me. I dont want another credit card, I'd rather collect air miles with my Mastercard. It seems like things get changed and not always for the better.

Thanks!
To be honest, we don't have a PC MasterCard either. Like you I don't need another cc.

We swipe our PC Plus Red Card at the grocery store check out, and pay with another MasterCard that gets us different points. Easy Peasy.

Think that with the 2 Programs Merging, there will only be MORE OPPORTUNITES to earn & redeem, albeit slightly different from the old ways. In the long term I truly see this as a positive program going forward (unlike so many Loyalty Programs over the years that I've seen severely devalued or folded entirely)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote: To be honest, we don't have a PC MasterCard either. Like you I don't need another cc.

We swipe our PC Plus Red Card at the grocery store check out, and pay with another MasterCard that gets us different points. Easy Peasy.
I've never tried it but presumably you don't need to carry a physical PC Plus/Opt card if you have a smartphone because they can scan in the account number from the app and record your points. Then use any credit card to pay for the purchase.

Other apps like Android Pay can also store the card number. Again, I'm just speculating but soon all this should be integrated so that one can pay at a Loblaws/SDM checkout with an Android Pay "tap" and automatically get points too.
Think that with the 2 Programs Merging, there will only be MORE OPPORTUNITES to earn & redeem, albeit slightly different from the old ways. In the long term I truly see this as a positive program going forward (unlike so many Loyalty Programs over the years that I've seen severely devalued or folded entirely)
That's how I see it as well. More options to collect points. More options to redeem them. For many, one fewer card to carry. There seem to be some wrinkles that disadvantage hard-core Optimum points collectors. We'll have to see how that unfolds. But all-in-all a step forward, especially for hard-core PC Plus collectors.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27757 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bylo wrote: I've never tried it but presumably you don't need to carry a physical PC Plus/Opt card if you have a smartphone because they can scan in the account number from the app and record your points. Then use any credit card to pay for the purchase.

Other apps like Android Pay can also store the card number. Again, I'm just speculating but soon all this should be integrated so that one can pay at a Loblaws/SDM checkout with an Android Pay "tap" and automatically get points too.
Lol, a smart phone is only as smart as the programmer & user combined.

We started with the plastic card & key tag... and although we have the App & hence the PC Plus Card on our phones... After reading here on RFD about folks who found the bar code wasn't always registering properly... We've given the high tech option a pass for now.

Will revisit after the PC Optimum App rolls out
That's how I see it as well. More options to collect points. More options to redeem them. For many, one fewer card to carry. There seem to be some wrinkles that disadvantage hard-core Optimum points collectors. We'll have to see how that unfolds. But all-in-all a step forward, especially for hard-core PC Plus collectors.
We are medium to hard core Optimum Members. Currently spending somewhere around $ 400 annually, and cashing in once or 2x a year. A few years back we spent more, and cashed in at every bonus event. I would say though we still strategy shop and get back in that 30% or more range (when we spent more, we also got back more... Closer to 50% on a $ 600 to $ 800 annual spend).

Definitely was the best return on any points program that I've ever encountered.

So I get the reasoning on why the hard core collectors are skeptical.

But ya as someone who currently carries both cards... I'm really looking forward to seeing how things blend together vs stand alone. Will be great to be able to redeem at 2 stores vs just one
Dec 7, 2016
106 posts
35 upvotes
Thanks for all of the comments and you folks have given me food for thought :-) I am not sure how I will handle this, I think I need to wait til Feb. when the Shoppers change comes, not that I ever go there anyway! I live in a rural area and Shoppers is nowhere near me plus I find them expensive.

Thanks for taking the time to tell me how you handle things!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5289 posts
2970 upvotes
Durham Region
bylo wrote: I've never tried it but presumably you don't need to carry a physical PC Plus/Opt card if you have a smartphone because they can scan in the account number from the app and record your points. Then use any credit card to pay for the purchase.
Only two situations I've found where you need the physical PC Plus card is if you want to earn points on gas by paying at the pump, or scan the card at the Loblaws self checkouts without waiting for assistance (since the scanners don't recognize the barcode from the PC Plus app for some reason). Although I've found the self-checkout will easily pick up a barcode from Android Pay, so I guess I really only carry the plastic card for one reason.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4765 posts
1311 upvotes
Richmond
funkynassau123 wrote: Yes I know that now. It ended 6 mos or so ago, so the rep on the phone said. I did not know that til today as I was saving my points to buy something substantial, but now that's not going to happen. I may use my $215 worth of points at SuperStore for Xmas presents and then be done with it. I'd rather have air miles from my mastercard than be pushed into a PC Fin. credit card I dont want or need.
I rather have pc points than air miles. Have you seen the air miles fiasco thread around here?
First expiring miles then the devaluation then the cap on cash miles then there were reports of having their preferences moved to dream miles. Ummm.I don't know why you voluntarily sign up for that headache.

I'll move the stuff from points hubby's post later to the op. Don't have time atm.
Dec 7, 2016
106 posts
35 upvotes
It was over a year ago when Air Miles tried to make miles expire and that was later shot down and now they do NOT expire. I have had zero problems with air miles rewards, they dont get switched to dream miles, mine are air miles only. I've been collecting and using air miles for years with no problems. It's no headache to me at all.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27757 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
funkynassau123 wrote: It was over a year ago when Air Miles tried to make miles expire and that was later shot down and now they do NOT expire. I have had zero problems with air miles rewards, they dont get switched to dream miles, mine are air miles only. I've been collecting and using air miles for years with no problems. It's no headache to me at all.
Ya that's my experience as well.

I think AirMiles biggest problem was a whole bunch of not well informed users.

It was by far Canada's largest Loyalty Program... At one time they claimed at least one card in every household.

It was also one of the oldest / longest running programs.

But consequently it had a lot of members who were casual users or hangers on (when you take years to accumulate 500+ AM you are not an active member. Period)

It costs admin money to run a program as big as Airmiles... Hanger Ons were costing the program lots of admin money with account maintenance / mail outs etc... And no return. So at the end of 2011 they announced that inactive accounts would expire IN 5 YEARS... The end of 2016.

Regular users got the info and shrugged, no big deal. Most Loyalty Programs have expiry dates... Fact if life.

Casual users & hanger ons did not read the notice... Cause well quite frankly they were not invested / actively engaged in the program.

FF to last Quarter 2016... And suddenly the Expiration of AirMiles is earth shattering front page news, cause the casual users & hanger ons wanted something for their dusty points.

And plenty of other folks misunderstood the media frenzy... And they too wanted to cash out (it was like a run on a bank)

Meanwhile the very dedicated users who were well informed shrugged it all off, as we had taken appropriate actions long ago... Like 5 years ago !!

Personally, we had actually opted to up our participation.. From Gold to Onyx. Points don't expire if you are Onyx. This was not a difficult move for us... We just switched around one cc, and slightly changed our banking habits (went from using our debit card, to using our cc ... Now a World Elite with 1 AM / $ 10). And making a point of putting the majority of our stuff onto the cc... Like regular monthly bills etc.

In our 2 person household we easily can make the 6000 annual points when we also add in our other spending that happened naturally at AM Suppliers (like the LCBO - Lowes etc).

We rarely "hunt down" points as so many claim ... On "over priced" products. We buy stuff we would buy anyways ON SALE or need / want (ie LCBO... Gotta pay those prices no matter what as they are the only game in town)

Only time of year we "hunt" or track heavily is during AM Bonus Events (like Mega Miles) then we are more aware of what's out there. And as a result now do most of our online shopping via AirMiles Shops.ca year round.

Results:

We kept all our points at the Expiry Date. We've moved up to Onyx which means more AM Benefits... Like less points for flights & vacations. Good service at Gold, got better at Onyx.

We did see a blip in things after the whole world was cashing out, and afterwards ... But we chose not to cash out during that time. And now things are pretty much back to normal.

We have not experienced problems booking things we want cause not only do we have access to the website & travel agency, but also the Personal Shopper. If I want 2 airline tickets at Christmas... I get can get them. They quote me a price, and then I decide if it is what I am willing to pay / cash in. Sometimes yes... Sometimes no.

Overall still a happy customer using our AM Account to plan great vacations at least once a year... Sometimes something short (getaway weekend with short hop flight) and at other times something bigger... Like a cruise for a special anniversary.

For us AirMiles is a no brainier. It is free. Doesn't cost me anything extra other than a wee bit of time a few times a year (MegaMiles) to track or plan what's on offer & where we are in our 6000 Annual AM accumulation.

People who opted out... Good for them, IMO all the better for the rest of us.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26651 posts
15244 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: It was by far Canada's largest Loyalty Program... At one time they claimed at least one card in every household.
Believe it or not, I believe Optimum has that claim to fame. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Nope, you're right!
The company’s research found that 81 per cent of Canadian household shoppers belong to the Air Miles program, the most-held loyalty card in the country with 11 million active users, followed by Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum at 66 per cent, and Loblaw’s PC Plus at 65 per cent. Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd., which was not included in the BrandSpark data, said its loyalty program has 12 million active users.”
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
It's a tie guys, Optimum and PC+ each have more than 10 million members, according to Loblaw's annual report. I wonder how many people have both, and how many members will be in the unified program?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)