Shopping Discussion

Locked: PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:14 am
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27758 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
aqnd wrote: Yes, that's the flyer offer - visible in no frills, superstore, and loblaws (I just read the flyers)
What flyer where & when... more info needed

No PC Plus Bonus Points on either of these 2 Products in the Loblaws Eastern Ontario Flyer (Dec 7th thru 13th)
BUT... there is a Multi Offer of BUY 2 for $ 5

I have seen Campbell’s Chunky Soups Cheaper @ $ 1.99 this past year... but combining with PC Plus Bonus Points dies make this a very attractive offer
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27758 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
raspeed wrote: Are SDM points being transferred over at a favorable rate? I'm a big fan of SDM points, but this new change has me concerned. My gut is telling me blow all my SDM points while I still can.
You are about a month behind the official Announcement

Check out this separate thread which has lots of good info
(NOTE it evolved from a heads up rumour to today... so the best bits are in the last half)

shoppers-optimum-pc-plus-merge-into-pc- ... 8-2140873/

PS... I think most SDM Optimum Members believe the transition / conversion rates are fair (even for the casual user). The more SDM Points you have on February 1st the better the outcome
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
PointsHubby wrote: What flyer where & when... more info needed

No PC Plus Bonus Points on either of these 2 Products in the Loblaws Eastern Ontario Flyer (Dec 7th thru 13th)
BUT... there is a Multi Offer of BUY 2 for $ 5

I have seen Campbell’s Chunky Soups Cheaper @ $ 1.99 this past year... but combining with PC Plus Bonus Points dies make this a very attractive offer
ON (GTA?) no frills, superstore, and Loblaws flyers effective Dec 7 all have blocks describing the 4000/$10 on chunky soup and goldfish.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote: Are you saying there is something else going on as well in the Flyer ?
Yes. It's in the flyer but you still have to load it from the app. From tomorrow's ValuMart flyer:

Screenshot_20171206-215020.png
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27758 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bylo wrote: Yes. It's in the flyer but you still have to load it from the app. From tomorrow's ValuMart flyer:

Thanks for that.

Ahhh ha, I get it... it’s basically an Ad by PC Plus in the Flyer to advertise the PC Plus App

WANT THIS OFFER NOW ?
GET THE APP

So not another offer (something stackable)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote: Ahhh ha, I get it... it’s basically an Ad by PC Plus in the Flyer to advertise the PC Plus App
That's one interpretation. It's probably the one they intended.

But another, more devious interpretation, is they're counting on non-app users who are accustomed to flyer-based bonus offers that require no pre-loading, to stock up on the featured items and not notice that they didn't get the points ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
2344 posts
1990 upvotes
Halifax
BTW : This weeks flyer has a bunch of the insiders products - at fairly premium prices with PC Points associated with them. Between about 8 % and 15 % off.

The smoked wings, antipasto meats etc...

It may work out better if you can bundle them with something else- like deli meats or frozen appetizers... if you had the offer.
A fan of RFD
Oct 20, 2016
74 posts
25 upvotes
Anyone have any experience using Click and Collect redeeming PC Points? The one time I did it I didn't think I could get the "spend $250 get this $25 gift" because the small print on the flyer says "when you spend $250 after PC Points redemptions are deducted" but to my surprise they came to my car with the free item, in this case a gift pack of toothbrushes and toothpaste. Tomorrow is spend $300, get 30,000 points and I would rather do that than a physical product. Do you think I'd get the points?
Sep 21, 2017
482 posts
499 upvotes
Vancouver
Got a pretty good think you'll like offer this week
10,000 points per $20 spent on Turtles boxed chocolate, might buy some for Christmas.
The only other offers I'll probably use this week is 800 pts per $4 on froot loops family size and 20% on beef.
I found out recently a bunch of my friends have pc plus cards but never load the offers and they say "oh the program is useless I spent so much but got no points" its seem people are too lazy to open the app like once a week.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
PointsHubby wrote: Thanks for that.

Ahhh ha, I get it... it’s basically an Ad by PC Plus in the Flyer to advertise the PC Plus App

WANT THIS OFFER NOW ?
GET THE APP

So not another offer (something stackable)
Might be stackable with a personalized Goldfish offer. I get those sometimes but unfortunately not this week.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Apr 7, 2012
823 posts
847 upvotes
gta
have a 25k points when spending 50$ at the mobile shop offer
any idea what i can get at the mobile shop that doesnt involve a contract?
also not sure if it counts as a mobile shop but the phone display they have at loblaws, is that considered mobile shop as well, or is it the stand alone booths they have at a few locations?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39292 posts
6324 upvotes
Winnipeg
bylo wrote: Yes. It's in the flyer but you still have to load it from the app. From tomorrow's ValuMart flyer:

where do you see this? i don't see it in my app, is this for ontario only?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
It's on p8 of this week's ValuMart flyer in these parts. There doesn't seem to be any VM's in Winterpeg. Try other Loblaws flyers for stores in your area. Or see if it's an offer in your app. As I understand it, if you didn't get the offer it doesn't matter what's in the flyer.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4826 posts
4359 upvotes
B.C.
navyblue wrote: have a 25k points when spending 50$ at the mobile shop offer
any idea what i can get at the mobile shop that doesnt involve a contract?
also not sure if it counts as a mobile shop but the phone display they have at loblaws, is that considered mobile shop as well, or is it the stand alone booths they have at a few locations?
I have that offer too and was wondering the same thing. I've been looking at this phone: http://www.pcmobile.ca/prepaid_phones.j ... rod2830003 but I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not with the 25,000 points. I was trying to figure out also if it's a one-time 25,000 points or if it's 25,000 for every $50. But I think it's just one hit of 25,000. I asked on the cell phone forum about this phone. I'm not so well versed.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Dec 6, 2017
19 posts
8 upvotes
From what I've read, this merger of the two programs will just mean that I can spend the points I earn at Shoppers Drug Mart at the Loblaws chain. That's it. That's all that will really change for me.
The schpeil for the merger says "We’re bringing what you love about the Shoppers Optimum and PC Plus programs together into the PC Optimum program" but that's baloney because what I love about Shopper Optimum program is that I earn points on EVERYTHING I BUY, even prescriptions, no matter how I pay. That means I earn points no matter if I "load offers" or not, I don't have to buy special "bonus offer" (READ: Overpriced) items to earn points, and I don't have to get & use a special credit card just to earn points. That's what I love about Shoppers Optimum. Is any of that going to function that way when I try and use the new merged program at, say, Superstore? Are they "bringing what you love" about Shoppers Optimum over to Superstore or No Frills? Apparently not. So why would I bother shopping there? I refuse to get another god dam credit card (I like having zero debt thank you very much) much less a store-branded credit card and I will not buy items just because they are items a computer wants me to buy; if the loyalty rewards program won't reward me because I refuse to play those stupid games then I'm shopping somewhere else that DOES!

Quite frankly I hate shopping at Superstore anyways, regardless of rewards points programs. It's just not a good shopping experience. It feels like the store went out of it's way to let me know it really, really, really doesn't care about me. I feel like the store treats me as if i were in some sort of industrial-shopping process, like I'm an item in an assembly line. Other stores make me feel like they are going out of there way to make me feel welcome.
Just for the record, I do a lot of shopping at Wholesale Club because I buy large quantities of things every week for my small business (I'm the guy with the cling-wrapped forklift pallet stacked five feet high with cases of pop and ten-pound sacks of rice and flour) although for my personal items I tend to go to Sobey's or CO-OP. It's always amused me that despite Wholesale Club begin owned by Loblaws you can neither earn nor spend PC points at Wholesale Club, so even if I did want to buy into their rewards program it would do virtually nothing for me.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TheHans wrote: if it's a one-time 25,000 points or if it's 25,000 for every $50. But I think it's just one hit of 25,000.
Usually with similar PC Plus offers it says something like, "for every $50 spent on [whatever] get 25,000 pts." What's the exact wording of your offer?

If it's 25k per $50 then get a filler item to go over $150 and collect $75 in points. A Moto G5 for $75 is a steal of a deal.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39292 posts
6324 upvotes
Winnipeg
bylo wrote: It's on p8 of this week's ValuMart flyer in these parts. There doesn't seem to be any VM's in Winterpeg. Try other Loblaws flyers for stores in your area. Or see if it's an offer in your app. As I understand it, if you didn't get the offer it doesn't matter what's in the flyer.
yeah we don't get those offers here, last time there was a big sale but was ontario only. i suppose it is only fair to have something that end up been cheaper in ontario when everything else is more expensive
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4826 posts
4359 upvotes
B.C.
bylo wrote: Usually with similar PC Plus offers it says something like, "for every $50 spent on [whatever] get 25,000 pts." What's the exact wording of your offer?
It says:

Spend $50 or more at The Mobile Shop
Offer valid on any items purchased at The Mobile Shop totalling $50 or more

Spend $50 or more at The Mobile Shop before applicable taxes and after all other coupons, discounts or PC points redemptions are deducted, in a single transaction at any participating The Mobile Shop location (excludes gift cards, phone cards, all non-participating third party operations and any other products which are provincially regulated) to earn the points indicated. "

So I'm thinking it's the 25,000 points period. But who knows for sure? Do they have filler items at these Mobile locations? If I got something to pull it just over $150, I can still call and maybe they'd give me the other 50,000...Brussels sprouts for everyone!!
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TheHans wrote: It says: Spend $50 or more at The Mobile Shop
Offer valid on any items purchased at The Mobile Shop totalling $50 or more...
That sounds like 25,000 no matter how much you go over $50. Still even if you don't get more than 25k points, a G5 for $125 isn't bad. And you could still try a PC Plus Points Inquiry to ask about the other 50k points. You might luck out.

Do they have filler items at these Mobile locations?
Perhaps a case for the G5. It will be overpriced compared to amazon.ca or ebay.ca but (a) you'll have it right away, (b) if you manage to get 25k/$50 it will be free and (c) if they don't give you the points, return it. (Keep the case unopened until you find out if you're getting points.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1062 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
Ihateclipingcoupons wrote: The schpeil for the merger says "We’re bringing what you love about the Shoppers Optimum and PC Plus programs together into the PC Optimum program" but that's baloney because what I love about Shopper Optimum program is that I earn points on EVERYTHING I BUY, even prescriptions, no matter how I pay. That means I earn points no matter if I "load offers" or not, I don't have to buy special "bonus offer" (READ: Overpriced) items to earn points, and I don't have to get & use a special credit card just to earn points. That's what I love about Shoppers Optimum.
If you don't load your SDM offers, you may be missing out on A LOT of points. And if you're buying things at SDM's regular prices or even some of their advertised ones, it would seem you're unaware that MANY items there are over-priced compared to elsewhere. So I'm not understanding why those prices apparently okay for you while the prices at Loblaws, RCSS et al are complaint-worthy.

What's more, Loblaws Cos. didn't promise we'd get points on every dollar spent at their grocery stores. So your complaint is completely about them not doing something you happen to want even though they never said they's do it.

Also, at least here in ON, Sobey's pricing is more like Loblaws' and Metro's (i.e. high) than like the discount chains'. So if Loblaws is over-priced...

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)