Shopping Discussion

Locked: PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:14 am
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
Never seen someone complain so much about a great, free program.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Ihateclipingcoupons wrote: I'll just collect the normal points-on-every-dollar-spent and walk around the other hoops they want me to jump through.
So you are happy with a $10 return for every $800 you spend? Because that's what you get by default at SDM. While you are earning 1.25% plus maybe 3% on your credit card I am earning an average 35% by loading my offers and shifting my shopping days, and I have earned this much year after year. I buy things like milk that are the same place anywhere. There are lots of lucrative low-value coupons like 20X on milk and 2,000 pts when you spend $10 on anything so there is lots of opportunity for lowballers to earn at SDM.

Sorry you don't get it. lmao at how happy you are to earn so little. 4.25% BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1062 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
lecale wrote: So you are happy with a $10 return for every $800 you spend? Because that's what you get by default at SDM. While you are earning 1.25% plus maybe 3% on your credit card I am earning an average 35% by loading my offers and shifting my shopping days, and I have earned this much year after year. I buy things like milk that are the same place anywhere. There are lots of lucrative low-value coupons like 20X on milk and 2,000 pts when you spend $10 on anything so there is lots of opportunity for lowballers to earn at SDM.

Sorry you don't get it. lmao at how happy you are to earn so little. 4.25% BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
Actually, we should be happy he/she is happy with that kind of percentage. If more people were to jump from getting back a few % up to 30%, 35% or more, Loblaws might feel more inclined to scale back how much it's possible to get back by working the program.

So Ihateclipingcoupons, you're doing really well. For me. Keep it up.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
22988 posts
6878 upvotes
Scarberia
U can combine 2 offers? I have spend 50$ get 10k pts

And spend every 10$ on chunky soup get 4k pts... So if I spent 50$ on soups I get 30k pts?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
2344 posts
1990 upvotes
Halifax
mikka2017 wrote: U can combine 2 offers? I have spend 50$ get 10k pts

And spend every 10$ on chunky soup get 4k pts... So if I spent 50$ on soups I get 30k pts?
YES ! Absolutely ! STACKABLE ! I did not know that until reading this forum .

Ihateclippingcouons... PointH was telling me that I WAS INCORRECT ( not yourself ) ... basciallly in saying that we did not know what the program would look like after Feb 1.

Points H is right... buy the same things... but buy them at the right time.

You know, I get it... about 18 months ago if you asked me if I would get a PCMC and load points I would have looked at you and said " Are you crazy? I don't have time for that ."
So I know exactly where you are coming from.

AND when my brother told me 5 years ago that Shoppers Optimum was the BEST and most lucrative points program.... I just looked at him incredulously.

BUT you know something ?

HE was right.
AND I do have time .
AND it is worth it.
A fan of RFD
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

Yup. And the trifecta is when the item is also on sale so you save three ways. Also sometimes with stacking you can end up getting paid to "buy" stuff ;)

If you live in an area with several Loblaws-chain stores, check all the flyers. Sometimes an item will be on sale at one store but not the other. It may or may not be worth the drive depending on the distance and the potential extra savings. This analysis will only get more complicated when SDM joins the mix.

But... be careful with the $50 (or whatever) threshold. You have to keep track of total value of what's in your cart as you put stuff in your cart. You don't want to hit checkout with only $49.73 in purchases, especially if the store is busy and there are people behind you. (Or be prepared to buy some impulse item at the checkout.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2948 posts
1611 upvotes
bylo wrote: But... be careful with the $50 (or whatever) threshold. You have to keep track of total value of what's in your cart as you put stuff in your cart. You don't want to hit checkout with only $49.73 in purchases, especially if the store is busy and there are people behind you. (Or be prepared to buy some impulse item at the checkout.)
or just ask the cashier to ring up again one of the items you bought, pay your bill and go get the extra item. By the way, what happens if you need to return one of the items which would put you under the $50?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2948 posts
1611 upvotes

With PC Plus, Yes. With SDM, my experience has been No, not for product offers based on $ minimums.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1062 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote: Yup. And the trifecta is when the item is also on sale so you save three ways. Also sometimes with stacking you can end up getting paid to "buy" stuff ;)
For me at least, saving in three ways on a single item isn't all that unusual. I use a cashback or points-back credit card, so that's one, and that saving is in addition to combos like sale price + personal (or public) offer, sale + coupon, sale + rebate, personal offer + coupon, personal offer + rebate, coupon + rebate, etc.

I've stacked up to five ways of saving, and if the stars align well enough, it's possible to stack more.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Jonric wrote: For me at least, saving in three ways on a single item isn't all that unusual. I use a cashback or points-back credit card, so that's one, and that saving is in addition to combos like sale price + personal (or public) offer, sale + coupon, sale + rebate, personal offer + coupon, personal offer + rebate, coupon + rebate, etc...
I was speaking only about PC Plus specific ways to save. But of course you're correct that there are other ways to rack up savings.

We need an app, perhaps based on Flipp, where we can set up a profile with all of our loyalty memberships, credit card types, location, etc. Then every week we enter our shopping list and let the app optimize our shopping itinerary to maximize savings ;)

One option might be that the app could minimize travel by finding the best store to price matches the others. That can get complicated because you'd probably have to sacrifice some loyalty discounts for travel time/expense. That's an app I'd be willing to pay for if the optimization is good enough.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27754 posts
27759 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
@rdiamond1 thank you for your kind words.

YES FOLKS learn how both these programs work now... and SAVE BIG

Come February 1st there is the “potential” to save more ... most of us agree, in the very least the NEW PC Optimum will see us continue to save as we do now.

Today, the programs are slightly different. But there are similarities too.

On the shelf at SDM if it is marked 1000 Pts with this product and you buy 2 you get 2000 pts
So it is at Loblaws Group

But it is waaaay easier to stack Offers at Loblaws... especially if one is paying attention.
And ya a calculator or a head for math at times comes in handy

First & foremost check in with your account online or via the App regularly. Most dedicated users at least take a peak on Friday after the NEW Offers for the week Load.

Let’s say one has the following 2 big Offers (Not uncommon)

Spend $ 75 and Get 7,500 Points
Spend $ 20 on Produce and get 2,000 Points

First you gotta determine if you need or want $ 20 worth of produce (the lesser of the two hurdles)
YES
Ok next let’s look at what we need to buy this week... Onions, Mushrooms, Peppers, Carrots, and Berries for Breakfast
Ya get the Onions, Mushrooms, and Peppers
And suddenly see your Shopping List / App tell you got 200 Points on the Onions ... Bonus
You decide it’s worth it... you go back and get another... cause Onions last a long while... or you can chop & freeze
The carrots you found were on sale
And over at the berries... your App says Raspberries 300 Points
You thought you might buy Blueberries this week
BUT the Raspberries are at a good price and there is a 300 Points Sign on the shelf
Raspberries it is... on Sale, 300 In Store Points + 300 Personal PC Points
Ya continue your shopping in fruits & veggies... count up what’s in your cart... and you’ve made the $ 20

You get the rest of your groceries,.. what you want & need
You check in with the App / Your Shopping List to see if there are any other Offers / Coupons that match up

You can see by what’s in your cart you’ve easily made the $ 50

So the Raspberries you got on sale at $ 2.99 also Earned you 600 PC Points
And count towards BOTH the $ 20 for Produce and $ 50 in Total
Same with the Onions
And everything else in the Produce Dept too counted twice... including the Renee’s Salad Dressing

And if you have a PC MC... then they technically earn you even more points as it earns PC Points on your cash out total

Personally, I don’t have a PC MC (just don’t need another cc)
And still I am making back on the PC PLus Program HUNDREDS of dollars a year.
Earning points on stuff I would be buying anyhow that I either need at a good price or on sale

And if I get an offer this week I cannot use, but know I might in a week or two... then I use the App to DELAY it until next week

There are lots of things at all Loblaws Group Stores that go on sale or are good value
Some people entirely strategy shop... perhaps shopping at more than one grocery store regularly
We do that often
Checking them all... Costco, Sobey’s Metro, etc

In which case PC Plus works too

Not unusual for me to maybe this week buy the bulk of my groceries elsewhere but pop into Loblaws for just one or two items on sale that also stack with my Offers
Which is why you might see someone with a cart that has a lot of just one category... be it cheese, chicken or cleaning supplies... they may strategy Shopping to stack their Personal Offers

These are also the folks who on their bills are seeing insane returns in percentages

In that way PC Plus is like Optimum... most people have long ago figured out how to maximize points
Now you can do that too on groceries

And soon... under PC Optimum, you can do it together, and swap both earns & rewards at the two stores
Last edited by PointsHubby on Dec 9th, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27754 posts
27759 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jonric wrote: For me at least, saving in three ways on a single item isn't all that unusual. I use a cashback or points-back credit card, so that's one, and that saving is in addition to combos like sale price + personal (or public) offer, sale + coupon, sale + rebate, personal offer + coupon, personal offer + rebate, coupon + rebate, etc.

I've stacked up to five ways of saving, and if the stars align well enough, it's possible to stack more.
Great points

And unlike Costco, SDM & Loblaws Group both take Manufacturer Coupons ... so ya one can stack those into savings too
Last edited by PointsHubby on Dec 9th, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 23, 2011
298 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
And if I get an offer this week I cannot use, but know I might in a week or two... then I use the App to DELAY it until next week
Thank you! Completely forgot about that feature and never used it...
Will do now.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1062 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote: I was speaking only about PC Plus specific ways to save.
I wasn't sure about that. For instance, you mentioned sale prices, which seem less specific to PC+ than PC MC, which you didn't. So I just went all-inclusive on ways to save that can stack.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1062 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
I made myself curious enough to ask... has anyone ever actually stacked six or more ways to save on a single item, and if so, what were they?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27754 posts
27759 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jonric wrote: I made myself curious enough to ask... has anyone ever actually stacked six or more ways to save on a single item, and if so, what were they?
Lol... interesting challenge. Have not done this personally... maybe 3 or 4 at once.

Guess first off we’d have to count them

1. PC PLUS Flyer / Shelf Points
2. PC PLUS Spend $ X Get Y Points (could be Flyer or Personal Offer)
3. PC PLUS Dept Spend $ X Get Y Points (could be Flyer or Personal Offer)
4. PC Plus Personal Offer Points on an item
5. Manufacturers Coupon on an item
6. Mail In Rebate or Gift / Freebie with or after Purchase
7a Double Dipping Credit Cards (ie PC Plus - Cash Back - Other Loyalty)
OR
7b Redeeming PC PLUS Points for the purchase
8. Redeeming on an Bonus Redemption Event with Points Back

Oh ya... ITEM ON SALE to begin with

Did I miss anything that could be used / potentially stacked on a Loblaws Group Store item ?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18924 posts
10494 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Lol... interesting challenge. Have not done this personally... maybe 3 or 4 at once.

Guess first off we’d have to count them

1. PC PLUS Flyer / Shelf Points
2. PC PLUS Spend $ X Get Y Points (could be Flyer or Personal Offer)
3. PC PLUS Dept Spend $ X Get Y Points (could be Flyer or Personal Offer)
4. PC Plus Personal Offer Points on an item
5. Manufacturers Coupon on an item
6. Mail In Rebate or Gift / Freebie with or after Purchase
7a Double Dipping Credit Cards (ie PC Plus - Cash Back - Other Loyalty)
OR
7b Redeeming PC PLUS Points for the purchase
8. Redeeming on an Bonus Redemption Event with Points Back

Oh ya... ITEM ON SALE to begin with

Did I miss anything that could be used / potentially stacked on a Loblaws Group Store item ?
Checkout 51 and other digital rebate sites (where you upload your receipt). CO51 at least allows you to use their rebates with physical coupons so you can stack. We buy some proctor & gamble items and would often stack a physical coupon with CO51 when the item is on sale and it's almost free.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27754 posts
27759 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TrevorK wrote: Checkout 51 and other digital rebate sites (where you upload your receipt). CO51 at least allows you to use their rebates with physical coupons so you can stack. We buy some proctor & gamble items and would often stack a physical coupon with CO51 when the item is on sale and it's almost free.
True... forgot about them

Guessing then they’d be # 9 and not part of # 6
Which could still exist as a Manufacturers Promo
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
22988 posts
6878 upvotes
Scarberia
anyone know if chunky campbells soup is on sale this weeK? i can do PM and have the offers doublestack/count as well right? if they are 2 bux or less a can i might do it... 20$ cost for 50$ worth of saltyAF soups!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27754 posts
27759 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mikka2017 wrote: anyone know if chunky campbells soup is on sale this weeK? i can do PM and have the offers doublestack/count as well right? if they are 2 bux or less a can i might do it... 20$ cost for 50$ worth of saltyAF soups!
Did a Flyer Search via Flipp

The Loblaws Group appears to be selling them for 2 / $ 5 across brands

I did find that Provigo has them on in their flyer for 2 / $ 3

So if you can price match in your area, could certainly be an awesome deal when stacked with the PC Plus App’s
Spend $ 10 on Campbell’s Chunky Soup Get 4000 Points

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)