Shopping Discussion

Locked: PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:14 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
8178 posts
9535 upvotes
Vancouver
Dammit.. I forgot to save my offers last night! ugh. :/

Ron.
100% Upvote to post ratio! :)
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1062 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote: And we still continue to receive great weekly PC Plus Offers... I still attribute this to being part of being a FREQUENT CUSTOMER by Loblaws / PC Plus definition... in that we are in the store once a week or more... even if it is just to pick up milk / bread. They are clearly hoping while we are in we will get more stuff.
This makes intuitive sense too. Since most of the grocery shopping you do that the algorithm can track is at Loblaws, it labels you as a Loblaws customer and gives you better offers to encourage you to keep going back because it treats you like a "normal" customer; i.e. one who is more likely than you are to buy other things when in-store. And as long as you keep your shopping frequency above some threshold, you'll continue to get roughly the same number of offers per week.

I think there are thresholds because when I've shopped less often at my primary Loblaws-group banner, No Frills, my number of offers has consistently dropped, only to increase again once I returned to purchasing there more frequently.

I'd guess that how much a person spends factors in too, but haven't tried to figure out how.

And I haven't noticed any differences since I got my PC MC a few months ago, although I haven't really looked for any.
Jul 10, 2008
744 posts
135 upvotes
Jonric wrote: I'm not ready to abandon this theory immediately based on one person who reports shopping at Loblaws "often" without giving any indication of actual frequency or relative frequency compared to other Loblaws-group chains.
Whatever.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1062 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
greenman456 wrote: Whatever.
Exactly my point. Without any quantification or context, "often" could be whatever.
Aug 24, 2006
734 posts
155 upvotes
Scarborough
Any deals in the GTA on electronics this weekend ?

I've finally received both the "10% in pts on electronics" and the "5K pts on every $50 spent" ..
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Jonric wrote: I think there are thresholds because when I've shopped less often at my primary Loblaws-group banner, No Frills, my number of offers has consistently dropped, only to increase again once I returned to purchasing there more frequently.
On my account I see there is a three-week delay between shopping less frequently and being punished for it.

Or at least, I skipped shopping at any Loblaw banner three weeks ago and this week I have only 16 offers, down from near 30, usually.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
2344 posts
1990 upvotes
Halifax
OK - the big upcoming merge.
Is there anyone that has signed up and DONE the merge ?
Do they do it automatically based on having the SAME address ?

Is everyone going to ONE account ?
I can't help but think of people with two Air miles cards ....

I just think with the combined app that it would be hard to have two people contributing to different accounts- impossible really.

lecale : I only have 16 offers this week as well - and we did not skip a week. - but used a 100,000 point redemption 3 weeks ago.
So I am not sure there is a pattern.

I have the three saved from last week : 20 % on Beef, Chicken and Deli Meat.

And then 20 % on
PC Frozen Fruit
PC Frozen Vegtable
PC Dog Food
PC Soda Pop
PC Black Label ( BL ) Jam
NN Pasta Sauce

And then 20 % on
Mushrooms
Peppers

And then
500 on Blackberries
600 on Butter
500 on PC Special Breads
800 on PC BL crisps
1000 on PC BL Ice Cream
500 on White Milk
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
2045 posts
2018 upvotes
Winnipeg
lecale wrote: On my account I see there is a three-week delay between shopping less frequently and being punished for it.

Or at least, I skipped shopping at any Loblaw banner three weeks ago and this week I have only 16 offers, down from near 30, usually.
I think I'm being punished as well lol. I received a BOM Airmiles M/C in early December and have been using it for all my non-Loblaws purchases and man have my PC offers declined. This week I only have 13, and no bonus offers at all.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27757 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
lecale wrote: On my account I see there is a three-week delay between shopping less frequently and being punished for it.

Lol either we are ALL being punished... or it is just a slow month*

I have 20 JUST FOR YOU Offers this week. No where near my past numbers in the high 20s to mid 30s... but still decent enough. Have been getting around 20 Offers for the last 2 months. NO BONUS OFFERS this week (so far)

I looked up my transaction history for December...

If you were to ask me, I would say We did the bulk of our shopping for the month elsewhere... and that’s because the biggest stock up for Christmas happened at a Metro (just too many good AM Offers to ignore). Metro is where we got baking supplies, Turkey, and all the fixings.

But in reality, we were in Loblaws at least once a week with 7 visits between December 1st and 31st. And overall Spend was more than $ 300... most of it “specialty items” for a get-together Christmas Eve... and then for our New Year’s House Party. Spent over $ 300 but only earned 20,000 Points... which is about 6%.

Not good. But then again the stuff we bought for the party rarely has Bonus Points (PC Insiders Items / Party Trays etc)

We contemplated cashing in Points for the party items... but in the end thought we’d save them for January Groceries when times are a bit leaner (nice to get FREE Groceries when you have Post Christmas CCs to pay off)

* I have heard that statistically December & January are the biggest months for folks to cash in their PC Points. So I guess it makes sense if the number of Offers are down in that timeframe too.
Dec 28, 2007
791 posts
593 upvotes
Alberta
I've been getting 10 offers in the last 3 weeks. Anyone else noticed a big drop in theirs?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18923 posts
10494 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: I've been getting 10 offers in the last 3 weeks. Anyone else noticed a big drop in theirs?
Mine is the usual 20 or so in total.
Dec 28, 2007
791 posts
593 upvotes
Alberta
Only 10 Just For You and no Bonus offers. Pretty lame recently. Why not load everybody up so they would spend more. Would make sense to me. Pretty odd marketing if you ask me.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
My offers have been fewer and worse in value since the new year.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
jackrabbit000 wrote: Only 10 Just For You and no Bonus offers. Pretty lame recently. Why not load everybody up so they would spend more. Would make sense to me. Pretty odd marketing if you ask me.
I typically got about 20 and wife 10-12. This week I think she got 4 and I got 10. Maybe this is how it will be with PC Optimum lol!

I certainly am shopping a lot less this week. If that's what they intended, mission accomplished.
Nov 24, 2016
55 posts
24 upvotes
Mine haven't changed.still around 20 @ 20% but less bonus offers. No bonus offers this week.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7946 posts
3603 upvotes
tmfhw12345 wrote: Mine haven't changed.still around 20 @ 20% but less bonus offers. No bonus offers this week.
Same here.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27757 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Another week...

As I said back in Reply # 4209 (when we discussing a notable decrease in the number of Offers) ...
I only got 20 JUST FOR YOU OFFERS this week ... and NO BONUS OFFERS

Most interesting:

* 200 Points for every $ 2 Spent on Bread & Rolls Baked In-Store
* 400 Points for Old Mill English Muffins
* 200 Points for every $ 1 Spent on Bulk Foods
* 300 Points for Strawberries
* 200 Points for every $ 1 Spent on Limes
* 500 Points for Watermelon
* 200 Points for Romaine Lettuce
* 3 seperate Offers on Black Label Products
* 200 Points for every $ 1 Spent on Books or Magazines

The In-Store Baked Bread & Rolls Offer is 200 Points for $ 2
So not the best... but considering it is something we buy at least once a week, any offer is better than none

Looks like the Watermelon (another summery exotic fruit) has replaced the ubiquitous Pineapple this week

Romaine Lettuce... uh no, in light of the recent news (ecoli warning)... gonna skip that one

The PC Black Label Offers are nice... might delay them in hopes of also getting a Black Label Bonus Offer that I can then stack

The Books & Magazine Offer was the one I DELAYED from last week. Hoping they have a particular New Year Issue that I am on the look out for.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
22988 posts
6878 upvotes
Scarberia
ot: u guys notice how SDM can email ur receipt now online? makes it nice and able to copy and paste it too! and it tells u exactly the opt points promo breakdown in details! bout time nice! it goes hand in hand with the new selfcheckout kiosks...too bad they don't take sdm gc cards as payment...another downside is the scratchoff pins u gotta use for gcs now...hassle
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PSA: In case you haven't seen it yet, Loblawcard.ca Bread Price Fixing $25gc is now live!

Might as well sign up for some "free" money--or rather, get back a small percentage of the money that Loblaws has ripped off you over the past 15 years.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Tomorrow only:

unnamed.jpg
Don’t miss this ONE-DAY PC® Points offer! Come in-store on Tuesday, January 9th and get 6,000 points for every $12 you spend on any PC® ACTV™, PC SONA™ and/or MadeGood® bars and/or portion packs – that’s 50% back in points!*

Hurry to your local Loblaws, Zehrs, Independent, Valu-mart, Provigo, Real Atlantic Superstore and Dominion** store to take advantage of this limited time offer.
Last edited by bylo on Jan 8th, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)