• Oct 21st, 2017 8:08 am
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3764 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Kiraly wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:10 pm
I've been doing this for four months now and the offers still suck. This week I get:

12% off Haagen Dazs ice cream (1,200 points for every $6 spent, No Frills sells these for $5, so gotta buy two to get any points at all)
10% off avocados, onions, spinach, frozen seafood, PC granola bars
<10% off No Name cheese bars (500 points on an item that sells for more than $5)

The only thing on this list I am planning on buying this week are avocados. Might save 40¢.

These offers are very similar to what I am getting every week. Pathetic!
Do you do the bulk of your shopping at No Frills/other discount? I am mostly shopping at Zehrs and my offers are generally 20%.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10283 posts
3186 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
lecale wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:45 pm
Do you do the bulk of your shopping at No Frills/other discount? I am mostly shopping at Zehrs and my offers are generally 20%.
I generally get 20% off on vegetables, however in general Zehrs, Valu-Mart and even Superstore are more than 20% more expensive on produce than some of their local competitors. At least on that stuff the PC points saves me the extra travel to those other stores.

The best deals on PC points are usually on stuff that has a bonus offer and happens to be on sale that week. Being able to defer bonus offers for a couple of weeks lets determined shoppers wait for sales on discretionary offers.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3764 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
bylo wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 2:02 pm
I generally get 20% off on vegetables, however in general Zehrs, Valu-Mart and even Superstore are more than 20% more expensive on produce than some of their local competitors. At least on that stuff the PC points saves me the extra travel to those other stores.
Zehrs is closer to me too, but I do hit No Frills sometimes. I think the higher offers are geared to people who are shopping at the more expensive banners most of the time.

I have a nice combo this week, 3k on $15 Black Label and 600 pts/$3 Black Label spices which will work on the Black Label vanilla paste I so like and maybe some smoked paprika :) 6,000 pts, can't get this offer shopping at NF.
Jan 9, 2011
814 posts
391 upvotes
Vancouver
lecale wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:45 pm
Yes, No Frills. I had suspected that one needs to shop at Lowbaws' pricier stores in order to get better offers. Maybe it's true.

I shopped at Save-On-Foods today. Bill came to $70.90. They scanned my Save-on-more card and my bill became $59.77 (18% off my whole purchase). And then I get points based on my whole purchase that can be further redeemed later. No apps, no loading offers. Why couldn't the PC Plus program be more like this?
Mar 9, 2010
147 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver
Loblaw stores don't require PCPlus membership for their flyer / sale prices. Hypothetically, had your shopping trip been done at a Loblaw store, your bill would be $59.77 without the use of any card. The price tag on the shelf is what you pay.

As for save-on-more reward points, you have to redeem them on specific items. Personally, I prefer to apply points to my grocery bill. The save-on reward items don't interest me, other than the occasional bonus redemption events for hockey tickets.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
2092 posts
2671 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Kiraly wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:10 pm
12% off Haagen Dazs ice cream (1,200 points for every $6 spent, No Frills sells these for $5, so gotta buy two to get any points at all)
Actually, 1,200 points for a $6 spend is 20%, not 12%.

Agree about the $6 threshold when the product sells for $5 (or $4.47 at RCSS this week).
Jan 9, 2011
814 posts
391 upvotes
Vancouver
trystee wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 5:53 pm
Actually, 1,200 points for a $6 spend is 20%, not 12%.
Agree about the $6 threshold when the product sells for $5 (or $4.47 at RCSS this week).
Sure, technically it's 20%, but to actually get close to 20%, I'd have to buy three $4.47 items for $13.41 and get 2,400 points, which works out to 17.9%. If I bought two of them for $8.94 I'd get 1,200 points, which works out to 13%. If I just bought one, I'd get no points at all.

If it were 200 points for a $1 spend offer (same 20%) on the same $4.47 item, I'd get 19% by buying three, 18% by buying two, and 18% by buying one. Waaaay better.

For any given percentage return, those large numbers of points for a larger dollar spend look nice and big, but the smaller numbers for a smaller return are much more likely to net you the discount that is advertised.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
2092 posts
2671 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Kiraly wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 7:19 pm
Sure, technically it's 20%, but to actually get close to 20%, I'd have to buy three $4.47 items for $13.41 and get 2,400 points, which works out to 17.9%. If I bought two of them for $8.94 I'd get 1,200 points, which works out to 13%. If I just bought one, I'd get no points at all.

If it were 200 points for a $1 spend offer (same 20%) on the same $4.47 item, I'd get 19% by buying three, 18% by buying two, and 18% by buying one. Waaaay better.

For any given percentage return, those large numbers of points for a larger dollar spend look nice and big, but the smaller numbers for a smaller return are much more likely to net you the discount that is advertised.
Seeing your logic now (buy 2 @ $5 per, $10 spend gets 1,200 pts or $1.20, 12% return). Thought the 12% was a typo. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3681 posts
487 upvotes
Richmond
ziii wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 4:47 pm
Loblaw stores don't require PCPlus membership for their flyer / sale prices. Hypothetically, had your shopping trip been done at a Loblaw store, your bill would be $59.77 without the use of any card. The price tag on the shelf is what you pay.

As for save-on-more reward points, you have to redeem them on specific items. Personally, I prefer to apply points to my grocery bill. The save-on reward items don't interest me, other than the occasional bonus redemption events for hockey tickets.
because personalized offers instead of club savings that are advertised make it hard for people to pm. Most pm polices state this but people don't like to read and will make a scene or demand to see management and think the cashier doesn't know anything when it is denied. And people wonder why the move away from price matching.

You can use save on points for travel as its the best value
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1335 posts
359 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 7:19 pm

A while ago I wrote to PC Plus pointing out that this was misleading advertising. Sure, sometimes there is an offer such as 2 / $5, but that's the exception. Similarly, when an item is priced by weight, you're not going get exactly $n (in tomatoes, for example). I guess their web developers are incapable of adding 'up to' in the text, as in 'up to 20%')
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4239 posts
1376 upvotes
I mostly shop at No Frills and used the PC MC Elite, together with points offers I am usually getting a 5-8% reward per purchase in points. I think this is fantastic especially since you don't get much other discounts (coupons, etc) these days.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3764 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I get about 15% back in points shopping mostly Zehrs and sometimes No Frills without a credit card. I'm thrilled with that because I find it very practical to get money back for groceries. I redeem as soon as I hit $20 and that way I'm finding my grocery bill is lower out of pocket. I think the program is just awesome.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5100 posts
1141 upvotes
Montreal
amberjill wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 3:26 pm
I've got an offer for 12,500 points for every $125 spent, but it expires on Saturday. Is that the norm for such offers to be short lived, unlike the rest that are valid for a week?
Yes, every time I get this kind of offer, it always expires on Saturdays.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10283 posts
3186 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
akaManny wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:35 pm
A while ago I wrote to PC Plus pointing out that this was misleading advertising.
At the very least. It's probably considered false advertising under the law.
Similarly, when an item is priced by weight, you're not going get exactly $n (in tomatoes, for example).
How can you, even if you wanted to, when there's either no scale nearby or it's very inaccurate compared to what's at the cash?

A lot of grocery stores in Europe have accurate scales and printers where they expect the customer to weigh the produce, type in the standard code for that item, then peel off the bar-coded price sticker and slap it on the bag. It makes checking out so much smoother and faster. (I'm not convinced that Europeans are any more dishonest than we are.)
I guess their web developers are incapable of adding 'up to' in the text, as in 'up to 20%')
Because "up to 20%" doesn't sound as appealing as "20%." (That's one reason why when a store has an "up to 50% off" sale I walk right on by. That means most of the merchandise is marked down a lot less than 50%; only a few items in gaudy colours, unpopular sizes, out-of-date technology, etc. are actually 50% off.)

I suspect that if someone made a formal report of this to the federal consumer protection agency, Loblaws would quickly interrupt a junior web developer's coffee break long enough to add the "up to."
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1132 posts
567 upvotes
Happy Friday!

22 Offers as of today.

21 in JUST FOR YOU
All expire in 7 Days

And 1 in THINK YOU'D LIKE
That one is:
* 5,000 points for Booking / Having an Eye Exam
Good from August 10th to September 7th

My JUST FOR YOU offers are decent.
Including a:
*Spend $ 150 get 15,000 Points deal
(it multiplies... But I don't see myself ever spending $ 300 in one visit)

Most of the other offers are for things I buy pretty regularly (or have a history buying at Loblaws)

Did get 2 Offers I don't see very often:

* 200 Points for every $ 1 spent on Books or Magazines
* 1,000 Points for every $ 10 spent on Fresh Cut Flowers

Don't think I've seen that last one since I scored some Roses for Mother's Day

Lol, guess I could buy my honey some flowers this week
Or perhaps DELAY that coupon 3x and get a nice Fall Bouquet right around the time that the many flowers in our Garden begin to fade

Last few weeks I've been getting some Mid Week Offers as well
Curious to see what happens this week