Shopping Discussion

Locked: PC Optimum Discussion Thread (formerly PC Plus)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:14 am
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27759 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PierreS299131 wrote: Yeah, this way.
Doing it on your phone or the website first and then trying to get a physical card would be a pain but it sounds like that’s what many have done. They’ll have to make the physical card a secondary account linked to their household account or just not use the physical card.
If you reallly want a physical card, get it first then set up the app from that card.
Link them later to access your points or do the in-store linking.
Can evidently be remedied with a direct card swap.
Or so reported here earlier

Household Accounts... still not enough info... they may be more trouble than their worth for the DEDICATED COLLECTOR
We need more info on that front
(and practical IRL experiences being reported back)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27759 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gh05t wrote: I have over 50 000 points but not even gonna bother.
That’s a good bit of change to leave on the table either way

50,000 SDM = $ 85
Or
50,000 PC = $ 50
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gh05t wrote: I have over 50 000 points but not even gonna bother.
Well that's like throwing away a $50 bill. Why not wait a week until they deal with the issues and then get a PC Opt account?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6606 posts
1978 upvotes
Toronto
I somehow download the PC Optimum App this morning, but was trying to do the registration on desktop ... but since the website is down, I tried to use the app to register and it works. First it found my PC Plus app info, and already able to identify me with my PC Plus point balance.

So it asks me if I have any other card, I entered Shoppers Optimum, and found my point balance, and balance total converted correctly as well.

Early today, I swapped my old Optimum card to the new PC Opt at SDM, and tried to also link the physical card, but it said my PC Plus already linked to my PC Financial card, and already linked, cannot link my new PC Optimum card anymore. Is it true? why can't I also have a PC Optimum physical card as well??
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27311 upvotes
I was hoping but not hopeful when trying to sign in and download the app today. It took some time but it finally went through thanks to the advice given in this thread.

PointsHubby, you have been amazing with all your help to RFDers throughout the day. I see you first posted at 12:23 AM and you are still going at it helping others.

Thank you.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3165 posts
3125 upvotes
Toronto
bluebellrose wrote: lol that's why I did it at 4 am in the morning to get things set up and iron out any glitches in the system. I found one and reported it. It was giving people issues who already had a click and collect account and they want you to use your old details to sign in. I just clicked forget password. Created the pc optimum account online and linked my pc plus card. By the time they fixed it with the app I was able to sign in to the app and it auto loaded my account
It's nice that you reported the issues makes the IT team's job much easier!
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
3145 posts
1486 upvotes
MrDisco wrote: wow harsh.

did you report the thread with this suggestion? It's simply not reasonable to expect us to read every single thread+post.
The site is free to use. I don't think it's reasonable for anyone to expect anything for free... and yet... the RFD's revenues are largely based from the users who create the content FOR FREE, spending THEIR TIME AND ENERGY to post information here that draws other users who contribute to RFD's revenue... no visitors = no revenue, pretty much, right? So.... the management of Red Flag Deals assigning live moderators and "coordination" to high profile high visibility threads would be a business opportunity I would want to leverage if my revenues were based on customers liking my site and viewing ads and stuff: I wouldn't see it as a burden being asked of us by our ungrateful users.

...but that's just me.

Anyway, back on topic: I DID search for information about what "eligible" means, and how it might differ between SDM and Loblaws stores... so maybe a Mod with "search" and "database powers" greater than an end user could find the answer, somewhere, here, or in another thread, and post it?

I spent SOME time reviewing pages that were after my post, and no one mentioned "check this link" or anything (because, honestly, who has time) so I'm inclined to contact Loblaws directly with the information and rather than post what I discover here, just not bother, because no one would be able to find it if I DID post it.

That's what happens when mods don't mod.
Last edited by lorax1284 on Feb 1st, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
There is no god. But it still feels good to be kind to people, animals, and the environment, so keep doing that.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4765 posts
1311 upvotes
Richmond
ricedion wrote: I somehow download the PC Optimum App this morning, but was trying to do the registration on desktop ... but since the website is down, I tried to use the app to register and it works. First it found my PC Plus app info, and already able to identify me with my PC Plus point balance.

So it asks me if I have any other card, I entered Shoppers Optimum, and found my point balance, and balance total converted correctly as well.

Early today, I swapped my old Optimum card to the new PC Opt at SDM, and tried to also link the physical card, but it said my PC Plus already linked to my PC Financial card, and already linked, cannot link my new PC Optimum card anymore. Is it true? why can't I also have a PC Optimum physical card as well??
guessing you'll have to add it via the app. I'll find out for you with pcf on fb
Last edited by bluebellrose on Feb 1st, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
3145 posts
1486 upvotes
bylo wrote: Well that's like throwing away a $50 bill. Why not wait a week until they deal with the issues and then get a PC Opt account?
An RFDer that you responded making a "I'm not going to bother spending 5 minutes to recover 50 or 85 dollars?" Must be a Russian troll bot.
There is no god. But it still feels good to be kind to people, animals, and the environment, so keep doing that.
Sep 30, 2001
30147 posts
10132 upvotes
Toronto
lorax1284 wrote: The site is free to use. I don't think it's reasonable for anyone to expect anything for free... and yet... the site benefits from users spending THEIR TIME AND ENERGY to post information here that draws other users who are the source of RFD's revenue... so...

The management of Red Flag Deals assigning live moderators and "coordination" to high profile high visibility threads would be a business opportunity I would want to leverage if my revenues were based on customers liking my site and viewing ads and stuff: I wouldn't see it as a burden being asked of us by our ungrateful users.

...but that's just me.

Anyway, back on topic: I DID search for information about what "eligible" means, reviewing pages and that were after my post, no one mentioned "check this link" or anything (because, honestly, who has time) so I'm inclined to contact Loblaws directly with the information and rather than post what I discover here, just not bother, because no one would be able to find it if I DID post it.

That's what happens when mods don't mod.
feel free to post your suggestion(s) in the site feedback forum.
Be kind and civil with one another
Jul 27, 2016
317 posts
224 upvotes
ricedion wrote: I somehow download the PC Optimum App this morning, but was trying to do the registration on desktop ... but since the website is down, I tried to use the app to register and it works. First it found my PC Plus app info, and already able to identify me with my PC Plus point balance.

By doing it all online your new account number is active and corresponds to no physical card.
If you got the card first then you’d link them all after it was entered into the app.
Best you can hope for is to add the physical card to the “household account” option. But there’s some uncertainty as to whether a household account helps or hurts your earning/collecting/redeeming options.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27759 upvotes
Eastern Ontario

It will be straightened out no doubt in the days to come.

I think that PC Optimum folks thought that people would opt for one or the other, not both
(Based on threads the last year it does seem like a lot of people had / used both cards & Apps)

Originally (going back years here) you got into these 2 programs with a card... then the app came along
I think they thought ... incorrectly that people dumped the plastic... they did not
I certainly did not

The rollover was built knowing many would want to do the transition on line with the website or with the app
Thinking it would be quick & easy
So they designed it that way... not anticipating a want for Cards too by those same people

Now it’s backwards... instead of swap a card, then Website / app... a lot of folks have gone in the opposite direction
Myself included

I am optimistic though... as I am not alone in how I did it

Plus both the PC Plus & PC Optimum Programs were designed to accommodate a long list of individual products with unique account numbers that all link together

The plastic card is just one more
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27759 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
BK2006 wrote: I was hoping but not hopeful when trying to sign in and download the app today. It took some time but it finally went through thanks to the advice given in this thread.

PointsHubby, you have been amazing with all your help to RFDers throughout the day. I see you first posted at 12:23 AM and you are still going at it helping others.

Thank you.
Thanks for your kind words.

I planned for this event ... but I will sleep very well tonight Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Actually @bylo has been awesome too, we’ve been a tag team on the PC Optimum Program since the Announcement back in November

And we’ve gotten great support from the RFD Mods too thru this marathon

Alarm Clock 31+ Hours now and counting *yawn*
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4765 posts
1311 upvotes
Richmond
PointsHubby wrote: It will be straightened out no doubt in the days to come.

I think that PC Optimum folks thought that people would opt for one or the other, not both
(Based on threads the last year it does seem like a lot of people had / used both cards & Apps)

Originally (going back years here) you got into these 2 programs with a card... then the app came along
I think they thought ... incorrectly that people dumped the plastic... they did not
I certainly did not

The rollover was built knowing many would want to do the transition on line with the website or with the app
Thinking it would be quick & easy
So they designed it that way... not anticipating a want for Cards too by those same people

Now it’s backwards... instead of swap a card, then Website / app... a lot of folks have gone in the opposite direction
Myself included

I am optimistic though... as I am not alone in how I did it

Plus both the PC Plus & PC Optimum Programs were designed to accommodate a long list of individual products with unique account numbers that all link together

The plastic card is just one more
Which is strange, one group expects that and the it guys didn't expect it? Front end encourages people to pick up a card to keep the penetration up so they have a physical card just in case their phone dies mid shop. I passed it onto the fb folks.
Nov 6, 2005
226 posts
70 upvotes
Anyone know how the PC MasterCard is supposed to double as the rewards card? I merged everything in the app and linked my MasterCard. Person at shoppers checkout said that paying with it should cause it to act as the card, but my receipt says I would have earned points with a PC Optimum card, so clearly that didn’t work. Does it have to be swiped first before payment?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4765 posts
1311 upvotes
Richmond
PierreS299131 wrote: By doing it all online your new account number is active and corresponds to no physical card.
If you got the card first then you’d link them all after it was entered into the app.
Best you can hope for is to add the physical card to the “household account” option. But there’s some uncertainty as to whether a household account helps or hurts your earning/collecting/redeeming options.
I'm still waiting on their reply on that lol I forwarded his question to pcf fb. They haven't gotten back to me yet.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13051 posts
3737 upvotes
Uh, I opened the PC Plus app and it says the PC Optimum program is here, go download etc etc. I go to download but I already have the app and it says OPEN in the iTunes app store, but nothing is happening.

Is the PC Optimum app the same as the PC Plus app?

I am confused...

iTunes does not give me the option to download the app, just OPEN. So I assume I have the latest version but when I open the app, I just see some welcome sign and my barcode but nothing else. I cannot click or enter or do anything...
Last edited by speedyforme on Feb 1st, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2015
1289 posts
1508 upvotes
The PC Plus app got "upgraded" into the PC Optimum app.

If you're having issues, delete the PC Plus app, and download the PC Optimum App from the App store
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27759 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
speedyforme wrote: Uh, I opened the PC Plus app and it says the PC Optimum program is here, go download etc etc. I go to download but I already have the app and it says OPEN in the iTunes app store, but nothing is happening.

I am confused...
Pretty much... it was UPGRADED (think of it as another version)
And then RELABELLED to PC OPTIMUM

There have been some issues with the Apple iOS version of the App

Some, myself included, just ended up deleting the OLD PC PLUS App
(vs waiting in an endless loop for and UPGRADE)
And then DOWNLOADED the NEW PC OPTIMUM APP
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21317 posts
10909 upvotes
Oakville
I hope they get this sorted before the 20x points event this weekend. I've been waiting for the points to merge to maybe pick up a Switch, during the 20x points would be a good time to do it.
speedyforme wrote: Uh, I opened the PC Plus app and it says the PC Optimum program is here, go download etc etc. I go to download but I already have the app and it says OPEN in the iTunes app store, but nothing is happening.

I am confused...
I believe you need to uninstall the PC Plus app. (Edit: I see that others beat me to it)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)