• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 9:34 am
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2329 posts
1232 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 8:01 pm
Sorry I disagree. If you check your offers regularly against their flyer to find what is on Sale and then stock up things work out pretty good... More so if it says a featured type of Meat that week (Ie Chicken on Sale, plus you have a Fresh Chicken Points Offer). Even better if you also have a Bonus Offer for spending a certain total on your Grocery Bill (ie 10,000 Points for Spending $ 100). Then it is easy to leave the Grocery Store with more than 10% in Points (highest to date was around 50%). And we don't have a PC MasterCard, or bank with PC.

Have also found the Program works better since moving to the App, in that I can Delete Offers that are no use to me ever, or Delay ones that I would like to use later on.

It's all about taking the time to KNOW the Program and managing it to work for you.

Mind you, I would still prefer if it was ALWAYS a Points on Total Purchase Program, but am finding the more I use the Program the better the offers get (ie frequency of the Spend $ X Offers)

Loyalty pays off. We've redeemed well over $ 1000 since the Program began. Considerable bucks in an Industry where they say profit margins are slim to stay competitive. Heck of a lot better than the old days where all you got was the opportunity to earn a Plate, Pot or Towel for your Loyalty to your local Grocery Store Chain
You're missing out without the World Elite MasterCard! The 30 points per dollar you get from shopping at Loblaws stores is awesome. At least half the points I earn are from using the MasterCard. Where else can you find a free MasterCard that gives 3% back on groceries?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3509 posts
591 upvotes
Alberta
superfresh89 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 8:10 am
You're missing out without the World Elite MasterCard! The 30 points per dollar you get from shopping at Loblaws stores is awesome. At least half the points I earn are from using the MasterCard. Where else can you find a free MasterCard that gives 3% back on groceries?
x2.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1462 posts
774 upvotes
3% back on Loblaws Groceries is nice, but not my current priority (as I said, I shop a variety of stores)

If my priority changes, then I'll look at changing cards. For now it works for me.

Ideally, it would be nice if one of our Cdn Banks followed the US CC model and offered Cashback Cards that paid back in tiered levels as high as 5% (rotating Quarterly categories). And that is TRUE Cash Back, not a payback in points.

If one of those came along, I'd be switching immediately, cause then I can decide on my own what to do with the REAL CASH (Monthly Spending - Vacation - Savings)
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10545 posts
3356 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 1:34 pm
Ideally, it would be nice if one of our Cdn Banks followed the US CC model and offered Cashback Cards that paid back in tiered levels as high as 5% (rotating Quarterly categories). And that is TRUE Cash Back, not a payback in points.

If one of those came along, I'd be switching immediately, cause then I can decide on my own what to do with the REAL CASH (Monthly Spending - Vacation - Savings)
We have such cards in Canada, but they're not quite as "generous." For example the free Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card. Some other cards pay a higher percentage, but they have an annual fee.

In any case this "generosity" is misleading because these cards charge higher merchant fees than no-reward cards. That in turn raises prices for everyone as merchants compensate for their higher cost of doing business. At best those of us who benefit from these programs do so at the expense of those who don't participate.

Ideally I'd rather see an end to rewards programs altogether. if only there was some way to guarantee that we'd all benefit by way of lower prices. I do realize this will never happen. Once people become addicted it's hard to kick the habit. But consider how rare reward cards are in places like Europe where merchant fees are a fraction of what they are in North America.
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 4, 2008
52 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I know people have chatted about their points being stolen in this thread, but Loblaw officially released a statement about it today. The breach is confirmed and you should change your passwords.

Loblaw advises PC Plus points members to change passwords after hack
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/loblaw- ... -1.3973619
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
1519 posts
223 upvotes
Burnaby
I just hate the offers of x number of points for every x dollars spent. For example if its for every $7 spent and the item is $3.49 with a limit of 2
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10545 posts
3356 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
amplified wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 3:19 pm
I just hate the offers of x number of points for every x dollars spent. For example if its for every $7 spent and the item is $3.49 with a limit of 2
Have you tried recently (last few months)? They've fixed the issue where 2 x $3.49 = $6.98, just 2¢ short of $7. They've now added some tolerance to the offer so that $6.98 is treated like $7. I don't know the exact parameters but probably even $6.90 would get the $7 offer.

That said, offers like spend $50 to get 5,000 pts require that you spend at least $50,00.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 13, 2013
131 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
Is there a website to find past point offers? I didn't receive any points recently and they want me to ask what I missed. It was a $400 bill so there was a lot but the prominent one was something like 15000 pts for every$150 spent.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1462 posts
774 upvotes
biggerthanfun wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 11:11 am
Is there a website to find past point offers? I didn't receive any points recently and they want me to ask what I missed. It was a $400 bill so there was a lot but the prominent one was something like 15000 pts for every$150 spent.
Sorry, no website for this sort of info.

As far as I can figure those types of spending offers are geared to your personal shopping habits, just like most of the other offers you get ... So while you got that offer on Week X, that same week I may have got one tied to $ 100 (10,000 points) or someone else might have got one tied to $ 200 (20,000 points).

If there is one "downfall" to the PC Plus Program it is the fact that the onus is truly on the Consumer to ask / prove that points were not received. I learned the first time thru the process that they don't make it easy. Because of this, although I now have the App on my phone, I also make a point once a week of logging in on my desktop to print off the offers. I put this aside to double-check against my Receipt (getting missed points is easier when you have your Receipt, cause they also ask for Store & Item Code info).
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
biggerthanfun wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 11:11 am
If you want to visualize your order, log in to click and collect and go to My Shop --> Past Orders. That might help a little bit.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8707 posts
590 upvotes
shoppingmatters wrote:
Dec 7th, 2013 3:22 pm
and what are Loblaws and Shoppers Drug Mart famous for?
Loblaws and Shoppers are overpriced.

Huge difference between Costco and Loblaws. Employees don't look happy at Loblaws, shopping carts everywhere in the parking lot. People just dont' give a crap at Loblaws/Shoppers. Terrible experiences at Superstore.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Dec 26, 2014
631 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
thejick wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 3:08 pm
I know people have chatted about their points being stolen in this thread, but Loblaw officially released a statement about it today. The breach is confirmed and you should change your passwords.

Some scrote jacked over $300 of points from my account the other day. I called PC plus to notify them, I hope I get my points back.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2603 posts
427 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
thejick wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 3:08 pm

REMEMBER THAT PCPLUS/PCPOINTS ONLY SAVES 8 CHARACTERS OF YOUR PASSWORD even though they say anything 6-12 will work! So make sure you change some of the first 8 characters.

For example i thought my password was something like "LongPass8356"
But just entering "LongPass" lets you log in.
Changed it to "LongPass1479". Says successfully changed.
Still just entering "LongPass" lets you log in.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27746 posts
788 upvotes
Dildo, NL
I thought the PC MC WE was Gods gift to man, until I realized that CIBC Dividend one & ScotiaBank Momentum give 4%!!!! That's an entire extra % over what we've been brain-washing ourselves into thinking is 'great'.

I'm on the immediate verge of changing everything around. The 1% 'everywhere else' is also crap. There's Rogers Plat 1.75 at worst, and the above two to use as well.

I think only in emergencies (once I get my replacement cards up and running) will I ever use this card again.

I know this is about PC Points, but it's all related.

Maybe I'm also hoping to get feedback on if I'm not considering something that will show PC WE vis-à-vis PC Points is still the better card to use. I don't think it is.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10003 posts
942 upvotes
Markham
CIBC card for example has an annual fee as well as limits on the 4%