• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 9:34 am
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1511 posts
804 upvotes
@lecale (Reply # 270 above)

Agree totally.

Before the age of Smart Phones & Apps, Loyalty Programs paid out for Customers who just "showed up" and bought (and Credit Cards still do this)

In the last 5 years Loyalty Programs have gotten BOTH more strategic as well as interactive.

Loblaws PC Plus follows this model. You want the benefit of their excellent Rewards... Then you have to be fully engaged

The more engaged, the more the Rewards (rough estimate 5% to 20% depending on your planning / shopping habits)

Those who don't review / load weekly offers get 0%

Those who buy the occasional item probably earn 5% or more

Those that faithfully shop ONLY at Loblaws Group and their weekly offers 10%

Those that buy items (ADD items) just for the points, more than 10% ... But at that point Loblaws is winning the game more than the Consumer

Those that are strategic shoppers... Probably have a well stocked Pantry & Freezer, read the flyers, shop many stores, track Sales, and when shopping at Lobaws load their PC Points Offers (and also use the App to Delay / Delete Offers) can see paybacks of 15% or more...

And those who do all of the above, and have "bought into" the Loblaws Group with a PC Financial CC with a high rate of PC Points report returns of 20% or more.

As with all Loyalty Points Programs, it comes down to HOW one CHOOSES to play the game. We all know going in that there is something in it for the Retailer, but what each person GETS OUT of the program is up to each Consumer. You want to maximize rewards, but at the same time minimize outlay, then one MUST do their homework

Fact is most people don't / are not that committed, so ultimately the Retailer benefits more than the Consumer. Those that do fully engage reap the best rewards no matter the program... And those strategically engaged, get the best bang for their buck.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3201 posts
372 upvotes
Wat
I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm excited to see mine and my wife's PC Plus offers every Friday. It kind of is like a game to me, but I only buy offers that I normally buy or need and nothing else.

If you find it a chore to check the app or hate matching offers etc, you definitely will lose the game.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1348 posts
555 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
Josesundae wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 5:04 pm
I see what you mean, but to be completely honest, customers can't win the game. The whole point of getting that 10 cents for "showing up" is an incentive to expose themselves and potential spend money on PC. The purpose of forcing the viewer into the app weekly creates a switching cost so they stay on the brand and be reminded of the "perks" of being part of PC.

The perspective of this piece is written for Businesses who wishes to grow their business by increasing their customer loyalty base and their retention of customers. Loyalty Programs like PC+ allow businesses to see loyalty program works. Also, in terms of redemption rates, the more points people redeem, the more engaged they are in your brand and the MORE they will spend on a business.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you're playing the game well or not at all. What matters is that you're in it, and it will slowly make you more loyal to the brand. Obviously businesses want to have more engaged/loyal customers so they will guide customers to "win".
You're thinking that because the program succeeds for the business, they are winning and therefore the customer is losing. That's faulty logic. Businesses are playing the loyalty game (more sales) and customers are playing the savings game. They're different games and can both have a winner. Consider the most basic loyalty program, "buy n items, get 1 free". It should be obvious how both parties win with this. All points programs are just sophisticated versions of the same concept.
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Jan 30, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Really good points, and fair take on the matter.

I agree, everyone wins because of Loyalty Programs (especially if they're fickle and active)!
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10017 posts
946 upvotes
Markham
Anyone else have all their offers disappear today ?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3886 posts
1257 upvotes
My offers are still all around, Roland, and I logged out and in to try and make them go, but they didn't.

Looked at my last ~180 ~3 months of offers last night and found

30% - Loblaws label (no name, PC, Seaquest, Suraj, Farmer's Market, Rooster, Black Label, Country Harvest, Old Mill...) or service (bakery, deli, salad bar...)
30% - fresh meat, poultry, fruit, vegetable, cheese (all high-margin)
30% - major advertisers, the same guys you see on Checkout51 or coupon tear pads
10% - minor advertisers

...but you can see that 60% of my offers are directing me to buy something that makes Loblaws the most money and 40% are advertisers that paid them to be in the app.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10017 posts
946 upvotes
Markham
lecale wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 10:26 pm
My offers are still all around, Roland, and I logged out and in to try and make them go, but they didn't.

Looked at my last ~180 ~3 months of offers last night and found

30% - Loblaws label (no name, PC, Seaquest, Suraj, Farmer's Market, Rooster, Black Label, Country Harvest, Old Mill...) or service (bakery, deli, salad bar...)
30% - fresh meat, poultry, fruit, vegetable, cheese (all high-margin)
30% - major advertisers, the same guys you see on Checkout51 or coupon tear pads
10% - minor advertisers

...but you can see that 60% of my offers are directing me to buy something that makes Loblaws the most money and 40% are advertisers that paid them to be in the app.
Thanks.

Really weird that I lost all of mine. A shame too because I was going to use a bunch of them in a shop tomorrow.
Dec 14, 2012
49 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Wow. All this time... I had thought I was accumulating points each time I shopped at No Frills and Zehrs and Fortinos. I've been a member apparently since 2004. No idea how I accumulated 89,000 points. certainly not by adding the stupid things on the emails they send me weekly... that has only been happening for a few months. Didn't it used to be that for each $20 spent, you'd get x number of points? I think that is the only way I would ever have accumulated points.
Anyway... wow. Can't believe it. I finally checked into WHY it seems like my points value never moves up from $80... and went to look just now, to find out that it seems the only way to get points other than through the 'weekly offers', is to shop at Loblaws??? Which... there isn't a Loblaws anywhere near me at all.. closest one is an hour away?? Wow!! Good bye No Frills!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2536 posts
1134 upvotes
Calgaryish
patchoulie wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 6:59 pm
Wow. All this time... I had thought I was accumulating points each time I shopped at No Frills and Zehrs and Fortinos. I've been a member apparently since 2004. No idea how I accumulated 89,000 points. certainly not by adding the stupid things on the emails they send me weekly... that has only been happening for a few months.
1. Load the "stupid" offers they send you each week.
2. Scan your PC Plus card when you check out.
3. You will earn points when you buy "stupid" things like their "Save $10 on $100 in purchases."
4. The system will learn your purchasing habits and start to suggest stuff that you actually buy.
5. Repeat.

And it works just fine at No Frills. Much of Canada doesn't even have Loblaws branded stores.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3521 posts
596 upvotes
Alberta
I used an offer for a loaf of Dave's Killer Organic Bread yesterday and got 5500 pts. Wife also wanted some peppers and I received 1200 pts for that. :)
Dec 14, 2012
49 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
retrothing wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 7:54 pm
1. Load the "stupid" offers they send you each week.
2. Scan your PC Plus card when you check out.
3. You will earn points when you buy "stupid" things like their "Save $10 on $100 in purchases."
4. The system will learn your purchasing habits and start to suggest stuff that you actually buy.
5. Repeat.

And it works just fine at No Frills. Much of Canada doesn't even have Loblaws branded stores.
Out of all the weeks that I have manually loaded those "stupid" offers onto my card, I don't recall ever seeing a 'save $10 on $100 in purchases'. Today I spent $160.04 and I got 1700 points for buying 3 things that I happened to be shopping for. Those 1700 points are worth $1 and 70cents. That is 1.06% of the total purchase today. And that was a good points day. Normally I get a couple hundred points. I checked my points over the past 12 months and I got 15470, which is worth $15.47. I checked what I spent over the past 12 months ($1297.36), so the $15.47 that I get back works out to an average of 1.19%. Think I'll start repeating again at Shoppers. Much better return. Just can't figure out how I got the 89000 points... I'm pretty sure that I used to get points whenever I shopped at Zehrs or Fortinos and used my PC debit card, because I never used to have to manually add anything, or do anything at all, other than just shop there and use my debit card to pay. What happened with *that*?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2343 posts
1240 upvotes
patchoulie wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:07 pm
Out of all the weeks that I have manually loaded those "stupid" offers onto my card, I don't recall ever seeing a 'save $10 on $100 in purchases'. Today I spent $160.04 and I got 1700 points for buying 3 things that I happened to be shopping for. Those 1700 points are worth $1 and 70cents. That is 1.06% of the total purchase today. And that was a good points day. Normally I get a couple hundred points. I checked my points over the past 12 months and I got 15470, which is worth $15.47. I checked what I spent over the past 12 months ($1297.36), so the $15.47 that I get back works out to an average of 1.19%. Think I'll start repeating again at Shoppers. Much better return. Just can't figure out how I got the 89000 points... I'm pretty sure that I used to get points whenever I shopped at Zehrs or Fortinos and used my PC debit card, because I never used to have to manually add anything, or do anything at all, other than just shop there and use my debit card to pay. What happened with *that*?
That's what the PC World Elite is for. If you used your MC to pay, you would have gotten 3% back in points in addition to the bonus points. The more you shop there, the more customized your offers will be. Go in each week and delete the offers you don't like and save the ones you want for the following week. I tend to save my 20% on meat offers until I can combine them with another offer of some kind.
Dec 14, 2012
49 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:46 pm
I used an offer for a loaf of Dave's Killer Organic Bread yesterday and got 5500 pts. Wife also wanted some peppers and I received 1200 pts for that. :)
I bought *one* pepper today and got 200pts. You must have purchased a few peppers? I didn't get an offer for any of Dave's Killer Organic Bread.
superfresh89 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:22 pm
That's what the PC World Elite is for. If you used your MC to pay, you would have gotten 3% back in points in addition to the bonus points. The more you shop there, the more customized your offers will be. Go in each week and delete the offers you don't like and save the ones you want for the following week. I tend to save my 20% on meat offers until I can combine them with another offer of some kind.
Most of my 'offers' say '4 days remaining'? Each week I load them to my card even if I'm not planning on shopping there, just in case, only because I happen to notice it in my emails. I had just thought that all this time, I was getting points just by purchasing from Zehrs/Fortinos/No Frills and using my PC debit card to pay.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1511 posts
804 upvotes
patchoulie wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:07 pm
89,000 = $ 89

Hardly anything to sniff at

The rest of your post regarding current spending, loading "stupid points offers" and making back just 1% is a rant without basis

Y'all can't rant about the pay back being low if you aren't fully engaged in the program to begin with Eyes

That makes no sense

Based just on posts here on RFD about the points plus program and who participates, the average pay back seems to be in the 10% to 15% range...

So $ 120 to $ 180 on that $ 1297.36 that you spent in the last 12 months

Again, hardly an amount to sniff at

There are even some folks here on RFD reporting higher pay backs in the 15% to 20% or more range.

The key is learning how the program works, and then working it to your advantage

And the more you do that, the better the offers / pay back becomes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)