• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 9:34 am
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1400 posts
741 upvotes
patchoulie wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:05 pm
I bought *one* pepper today and got 200pts. You must have purchased a few peppers? I didn't get an offer for any of Dave's Killer Organic Bread.

Most of my 'offers' say '4 days remaining'? Each week I load them to my card even if I'm not planning on shopping there, just in case, only because I happen to notice it in my emails. I had just thought that all this time, I was getting points just by purchasing from Zehrs/Fortinos/No Frills and using my PC debit card to pay.
Weekly Offers come in on Friday, and expire on Thursday (hence the 4 Days Remaining = Mon - Thurs). If you load regularly, you'll also start to get Mid Week Special Offers (We Think You'd Like... Or ... Try this NEW Product). That was what the Dave's Killer Bread Offer was.

If you have the App you can also take greater control over the offers sent to you... Opting to DELETE or DELAY items you don't want / can't use now

Over the course of a few weeks PC Plus will learn your preferences, and then the offers only get more customized to your spending, and better offers come... like spend x and get y points = usually 10% (ie spend $ 50 get 5,000 points)
Dec 14, 2012
49 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:04 pm
89,000 = $ 89

Hardly anything to sniff at

The rest of your post regarding current spending, loading "stupid points offers" and making back just 1% is a rant without basis

Y'all can't rant about the pay back being low if you aren't fully engaged in the program to begin with Eyes

That makes no sense

Based just on posts here on RFD about the points plus program and who participates, the average pay back seems to be in the 10% to 15% range...

So $ 120 to $ 180 on that $ 1297.36 that you spent in the last 12 months

Again, hardly an amount to sniff at

There are even some folks here on RFD reporting higher pay backs in the 15% to 20% or more range.

The key is learning how the program works, and then working it to your advantage

And the more you do that, the better the offers / pay back becomes
Yes, I'm so glad that I finally took the time to discover that I'm actually NOT getting points each time I shop, and that I'm ONLY getting them on specific items they choose for me, and only IF I preload them onto my card and purchase them within a few days of that. I made a decision to go to NoFrills instead of Shoppers *today*, when many of the items I needed were basic grocery items that I can get at Shoppers, and usually do.. I made that decision only because I thought I was getting points like I used to get them.. don't forget that those 89000 points have accumulated since 2004. I generally get back hundreds of dollars every year for just shopping at Shoppers, vs $89 back after 13 years at Loblaw related stores. Granted I haven't shopped much at Zehrs/Fortinos/NoFrills during that time just due to sheer inconvenience to me (and higher prices to begin with). I wonder if there is a way to get a record printed of the entire 13 years and when I received those points. I can't really find anything online about those points from prior to around 2013. So something huge has changed, and I'm glad I'm aware of it now, that is all I'm saying.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1400 posts
741 upvotes
patchoulie wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:24 pm
Yes, I'm so glad that I finally took the time to discover that I'm actually NOT getting points each time I shop, and that I'm ONLY getting them on specific items they choose for me, and only IF I preload them onto my card and purchase them within a few days of that. I made a decision to go to NoFrills instead of Shoppers *today*, when many of the items I needed were basic grocery items that I can get at Shoppers, and usually do.. I made that decision only because I thought I was getting points like I used to get them.. don't forget that those 89000 points have accumulated since 2004. I generally get back hundreds of dollars every year for just shopping at Shoppers, vs $89 back after 13 years at Loblaw related stores. Granted I haven't shopped much at Zehrs/Fortinos/NoFrills during that time just due to sheer inconvenience to me (and higher prices to begin with). I wonder if there is a way to get a record printed of the entire 13 years and when I received those points. I can't really find anything online about those points from prior to around 2013. So something huge has changed, and I'm glad I'm aware of it now, that is all I'm saying.
You could try for more documentation from the Loblaws Group I suppose

The reason you don't see anything on line prior to 2013, cause that was the year they started the current PC Plus Program (and folded PREVIOUS versions)

Looks like you never read the memos ... Or maybe you changed your email between 2004 & 2013

Cause clearly you've been out out of the loop on how the current program works

Shoppers Optimum is a fantastic program. But they certainly don't sell all the groceries I need. Utilizing the benefits of the PC Plus Program, together with SDM Optimum you should be able to do extremely well overall.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2533 posts
1133 upvotes
Calgaryish
patchoulie wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:07 pm
Out of all the weeks that I have manually loaded those "stupid" offers onto my card, I don't recall ever seeing a 'save $10 on $100 in purchases'. Today I spent $160.04 and I got 1700 points for buying 3 things that I happened to be shopping for. Those 1700 points are worth $1 and 70cents. That is 1.06% of the total purchase today. And that was a good points day. Normally I get a couple hundred points.
Interesting. I'm a single parent of one child, so I don't purchase massive amounts of groceries. Still, I have received $540 in points since joining the program in late 2014. And I tend not to go out of my way to buy their offers.
Dec 14, 2012
49 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Another thing that drives me crazy is that they keep making it mandatory to re-sign into my PCPlus app.. this has happened twice now within a short time, probably 3 months(?).. time flies so not sure on that.. and it doesn't seem to really matter since I always pay with my PC debit card anyway.. but.. they make the 'rules' for choosing your pw so specific (ie MUST be EXACTLY 8 characters long, must have a capital letter, must have a number).. so I finally chose a pw that I will never remember (do they know how many pw's people have nowadays??). This may sound petty, but seriously, I've got more important stuff to retain than my PCPoints pw, other apps on my phone don't seem to demand fresh logins in order to access the apps?

I am fortunate enough to live in a city that still has an 'independent' grocery store.. it's pretty good because it sells nice produce, has a butcher/meat dept, has its own bakery, has a deli counter, salad bar.. and then has all of the regular grocery items, except not in huge variations of choices, ie they might sell Corn Flakes, but only in one size type of thing, and admittedly if I need a lot of packaged items, I generally need to go elsewhere. I go there for the butcher, produce, breads and deli, but I also often do my shopping there since I don't buy huge quantities of packaged/boxed groceries. I figured that their pricing on the regular grocery items was a little higher than the mainstream grocery stores, but recently I shopped there, and then immediately went to NoFrills to get a bunch of packaged stuff that I needed.. I discovered that NoFrills pricing on the things I was purchasing was higher than the independent's pricing, unless it happened to be on a 'sale'.

It leaves me thinking that they get you into NoFrills by offering points which are only worth $1 for every thousand, and are only available on a select few items each week which also must be remembered to be manually loaded by the user.. and then they hope that you do the balance of your grocery order, while paying more for the other stuff, which probably adds up to way more that you're spending in the first place for same items, than the points value will give back to you when you redeem.

I don't mean to offend anyone who is particularly enamored with the PCPoints program, just feeling a bit ripped off due to my lack of paying attention to their changes over the years. I'll definitely keep my eyes open though, to see if I have a mistaken perception.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7437 posts
2398 upvotes
ON
patchoulie wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:05 pm
I had just thought that all this time, I was getting points just by purchasing from Zehrs/Fortinos/No Frills and using my PC debit card to pay.
Don't know what you're on about - yes, you should be getting points for paying with PC debit for every dollar spent. But that's a completely different program.
PC plus is bonus over and above that which requires you to click a link in an email once a week.
I wouldn't be comparing about even 1.06% free - it's free! It could be 0% bonus... In fact, it can be - just stop using the card.
patchoulie wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 10:55 am
Another thing that drives me crazy is that they keep making it mandatory to re-sign into my PCPlus app.. this has happened twice now within a short time, probably 3 months(?).. time flies so not sure on that.. and it doesn't seem to really matter since I always pay with my PC debit card anyway.. but.. they make the 'rules' for choosing your pw so specific (ie MUST be EXACTLY 8 characters long, must have a capital letter, must have a number).. so I finally chose a pw that I will never remember (do they know how many pw's people have nowadays??). This may sound petty, but seriously, I've got more important stuff to retain than my PCPoints pw, other apps on my phone don't seem to demand fresh logins in order to access the apps
That was because they got compromised and reset everyone's password to prevent theft of your points. Also made the password rules tighter as a result.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1400 posts
741 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 6:43 pm
Don't know what you're on about - yes, you should be getting points for paying with PC debit for every dollar spent. But that's a completely different program.
PC plus is bonus over and above that which requires you to click a link in an email once a week.
I wouldn't be comparing about even 1.06% free - it's free! It could be 0% bonus... In fact, it can be - just stop using the card.

That was because they got compromised and reset everyone's password to prevent theft of your points. Also made the password rules tighter as a result.
Two thumbs up Thumbs Up SignThumbs Up Sign

Clearly the poster is not keeping up with this program (since 2004) or even reading fairly new info coming to them by email (past security breach)

I too don't get it. If you don't want to be part of the program then quit / cash out

IMO I see no reason to complain FREE Groceries is FREE Groceries if I am collecting points on something that I was going to buy anyhow.

Lots of posts here on RFD how much others are enjoying the rewards, and sharing tips on how to maximize offers.

If one is not plugged in that is hardly the fault of the program or it's provider.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27744 posts
786 upvotes
Dildo, NL
FYI, after a couple years of clearing racking up a solid $2K in pc points, I realized that I had been grossly mismanaging my credit card use.

I am now doing the fol:

Scotia Momentum 4% Gas & Groceries, 2% recurring CC payments
Capital One 3% All eateries/Timmies/Restaurants, 2% Gas station at Costco (Shakes Fist!!!!!)
Kept PC WE for 3% @ SDM, but otherwise, I have no reason to ever use it again
Rogers Visa 1.75% ALL REMAINING

I did the math & even next year when our FYF runs out, I'll still be making more than what I was before.

Our problem was that I didn't realize everything outside PC was giving us 1% only...ughhhhhh....what a waste.

Thankfully, I'm all set up now, even finally got our eldest braces monthly fee switched over (I'm *hoping* it is captured by Momentum as a recurring payment...would there be a reason it wouldn't??), Here's to another 10months of epic cash-backery.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Jan 13, 2017
14 posts
12 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2013 12:56 pm
I was wondering why they had the PC Points PLUS program (ontop of PC Points) to begin with ... so it may be a prelude/setup to more tied social marketing/promotions.
I WISH that they would put the PC Points and PC PLus together.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3404 posts
4403 upvotes
Ontario
I only found mention of Rogers phone offering a prepaid Visa card, so it's not the right card. https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... lp-support

The Rogers Bank I found only shows Mastercard products. https://rogersbank.com/en/contact_us?_g ... 1501034853
>OP must have a Rogers MC, not a Visa card.
The perks are plentiful with Fido™ Mastercard®
Unlimited cash back rewards1

It pays to pay with Fido Mastercard

Earn 4% cash back rewards on all purchases in a foreign currency – from international websites to anywhere you travel outside of Canada
Plus 1.5% cash back rewards on all purchases in Canadian dollars
https://rogersbank.com/en/card_details/ ... ab=rewards

Rogers Banks uses a customer service centre located in Sudbury, ON. #29 and #30 of cardholder agreement. https://rogersbank.com/legaldocs/en/Car ... ent.en.pdf
But their Bank Ombudsman is listed at a downtown Toronto address.
Surfing 2017. Fall, show me the roll-out of prizes!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3690 posts
488 upvotes
Richmond
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:37 pm
You could try for more documentation from the Loblaws Group I suppose

The reason you don't see anything on line prior to 2013, cause that was the year they started the current PC Plus Program (and folded PREVIOUS versions)

Looks like you never read the memos ... Or maybe you changed your email between 2004 & 2013

Cause clearly you've been out out of the loop on how the current program works

Shoppers Optimum is a fantastic program. But they certainly don't sell all the groceries I need. Utilizing the benefits of the PC Plus Program, together with SDM Optimum you should be able to do extremely well overall.
When the program first launched I was able to see transactions prior to 2013. Only problem was it only showed the last years worth of transactions.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2598 posts
422 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
So can you actually "hold an offer" and extend it for a week? i heard that this was available in the mobile app a year ago but never installed it. today i just installed the android app and can't find any mention of this hold offer feature.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3881 posts
1253 upvotes
Kevinck wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 2:16 pm
So can you actually "hold an offer" and extend it for a week? i heard that this was available in the mobile app a year ago but never installed it. today i just installed the android app and can't find any mention of this hold offer feature.
swipe left on the offer and you will see the option to save or delete

Limit 3 saves, can save an item for a max 3 weeks
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7795 posts
910 upvotes
Markham
Kevinck wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 2:16 pm
Use your finger to press on that item that you want to hold for another week on your phone screen , then swipe it over to your right . It will ask you rather you want to hold.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015