• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 9:48 pm
Jan 9, 2011
896 posts
468 upvotes
Vancouver
lecale wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 3:03 am
If you buy something, it speeds up the frequency that the offer appears so you're back to weekly again.
I wish that would happen with the Lavazza ground coffee offer I got after the second week of joining PC Plus in April and then never again. I buy that stuff at least twice a month.
lecale wrote:
You don't really delete offers, you just slow down the frequency that they occur from e.g., every week to every 3 weeks.
Do you mean that if I swipe left and choose "Don't show again", that it only means for the next 3 weeks and then the same offer might return?
May 28, 2012
9430 posts
1775 upvotes
Saskatoon
Kiraly wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:47 am
I wish that would happen with the Lavazza ground coffee offer I got after the second week of joining PC Plus in April and then never again. I buy that stuff at least twice a month.
That's strange because I used to buy it all the time at RCSS and would get the Lavazza offer almost every other week. It started out as 1200 points for each package and was reduced to 800 a while back. There used to be a discount for multiples of three, and with the bonus points, it was a good deal. I haven't been getting that offer as much now that I've stopped buying it at Superstore.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7433 posts
2395 upvotes
ON
Kiraly wrote:
Do you mean that if I swipe left and choose "Don't show again", that it only means for the next 3 weeks and then the same offer might return?
It might return, yes. It might also not.
If you buy the item or a related item again, it will likely still pop up.
Saying 'don't show again' is not a forever thing, just drops it to the bottom of their priority list, however they score offers to give to you.
Jan 9, 2011
896 posts
468 upvotes
Vancouver
Mars2012 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 11:28 am
That's strange because I used to buy [Lavazza ground coffee] all the time at RCSS and would get the Lavazza offer almost every other week. It started out as 1200 points for each package and was reduced to 800 a while back. There used to be a discount for multiples of three, and with the bonus points, it was a good deal. I haven't been getting that offer as much now that I've stopped buying it at Superstore.
The offer first showed up after I bought it at Loblaws City Market. Ever since I have only bought it at No Frills and the offer has never returned. I guess it's so cheap at No Frills ($4.77/pkg) that they consider the price enough of an offer.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1394 posts
741 upvotes
lecale wrote:
IMO you get more offers with more frequent use of the card - use it even when you are not earning points - and don't be afraid to delete offers that you don't like even if you don't have many.
Lecale & I both agree on the USE it theory. Actually it seems the more you go into a store even for a quick pick up (bread, milk) and use your card the more offers you get. Late Spring, and we were up around the 30 mark.
You don't really delete offers, you just slow down the frequency that they occur from e.g., every week to every 3 weeks. If you buy something, it speeds up the frequency that the offer appears so you're back to weekly again. So, like, buy 3 weeks worth of apples at once and keep them in the fridge, and delete delete delete, and you will be able to get more variety in your offers and still catch the apple offer when it comes around again in 3 weeks. I get this problem with certain produce too.

The other thing is if you save an offer it speeds up the frequency that the offer occurs. If the apples offer was showing up every 3 weeks for you and you saved it, it would come back to haunt you weekly for 3 weeks, and then you would get it again because it would start a new cycle at the original frequency of every 3 weeks. So, one save can put you in a rut for 5 weeks.
Ever since I first heard of this theory / observation by Lecale, I've been attempting to keep track / tabs on our weekly offers. Seems there is indeed some sort of definitive pattern. Now that it is Autumn, and we're getting back into the swing of regular stock up shops, I'll be following more closely. Report to follow
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1394 posts
741 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Our 2 PC Plus Stores are a Loblaws & an Independent. Our preferred coffee is PC Dark Roast... For which we often get offers (so many, I usually DELAY them).

We've had Lavazza Coffee offers too... But noticed they tended to come after we visited Lobaws In Store Coffee Bar, and bought a cup of coffee. The In Store Coffee Bars have signage that says in big bold letters... Lavazza. So I attributed getting the offer to that link... They swiped my card, and knew I had tried their coffee.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3881 posts
1253 upvotes
The basic pattern is that offers reoccur after 3 weeks so you if you get an offer in week 1 it will reoccur in week 4...you should be able to predict at least half of your offers if you save past ones.

There are exceptions (e.g., meat/poultry seems to be one, can happen alternate weeks/every 4 weeks) and those would be the interesting cases.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10076 posts
464 upvotes
Mississauga
Did anyone get the pts for the spend $100 or more, get 15k at No Frills Thu - Sat? I bought some gift cards, which not clearly excluded in the fine prnt but never got any points.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3881 posts
1253 upvotes
dmdsoftware2 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:50 pm
Did anyone get the pts for the spend $100 or more, get 15k at No Frills Thu - Sat? I bought some gift cards, which not clearly excluded in the fine prnt but never got any points.
Gift card purchases never count towards your spending threshold. You won't get points :(
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10076 posts
464 upvotes
Mississauga
lecale wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:55 pm
Gift card purchases never count towards your spending threshold. You won't get points :(
Normally the pts promotions that show up weekly clearly indicate gift cards excluded. But this No Frills in-store/flyer promotion excluded that normal clause, albeit it had phone cards excluded. An omission, of course, didn't mean it'd work. it was worth trying anyways, since I was passing through.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3881 posts
1253 upvotes
dmdsoftware2 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:02 pm
Normally the pts promotions that show up weekly clearly indicate gift cards excluded. But this No Frills in-store/flyer promotion excluded that normal clause, albeit it had phone cards excluded. An omission, of course, didn't mean it'd work. it was worth trying anyways, since I was passing through.
You'll get points when you use your gift card though. We're coming up on holiday season so I bet there will be a few more points promos like this so just hang on to the card until then and you can earn the bonus points next time.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1410 posts
383 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 2:04 am
I think when you get 100 or 200 pts per $1 the base amount used to calculate points rounds up automatically and fairly generously too. $1.88 might round to $2 for example.

When you are getting pts per any other amount, $2, $5, $10 and so on, the amount you spend doesn't round up at all. However I have done a points inquiry when I have missed because of a few pennies and have gotten the points.

That's my observation. It's per $1 offers vs. per any other amount offers.
Usually the points inquiry works as though no person is checking the details. However, I have had a points inquiry rejected - $3.97 x 5 = $19.85 did not round up to $20. I think they keep track of how many times you do the points inquiry, as well as the amount.
Jan 9, 2011
896 posts
468 upvotes
Vancouver
Ha ha, would be nice if gift cards were included in promos like "Spend $100 for $15k points". But there's a reason gift cards are excluded from these kinds of deals.

Buy $100 PC gift card, collect 15k points.
Go back and buy $100 worth of groceries with the gift card, collect another 15k points.

Like they'll ever allow that to happen!
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10076 posts
464 upvotes
Mississauga
Kiraly wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 7:57 pm
Ha ha, would be nice if gift cards were included in promos like "Spend $100 for $15k points". But there's a reason gift cards are excluded from these kinds of deals.

Buy $100 PC gift card, collect 15k points.
Go back and buy $100 worth of groceries with the gift card, collect another 15k points.

Like they'll ever allow that to happen!
I filed an inquiry with PC Points about me spending $100 on GCs and the No Frills 15k points for $100 or more spent in store. I included a graphic of the advertising and noted how it excludes phone cards but not gift cards. This morning I was awarded the 15k points and they apologized for the error.
Oct 14, 2013
170 posts
118 upvotes
dmdsoftware2 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:26 am
I filed an inquiry with PC Points about me spending $100 on GCs and the No Frills 15k points for $100 or more spent in store. I included a graphic of the advertising and noted how it excludes phone cards but not gift cards. This morning I was awarded the 15k points and they apologized for the error.
Darn I should've just given it a shot!!

My 15000 pts showed up on the app almost immediately.

Thread Information

There are currently 8 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 3 guests)

Adelie, rdiamond1, PointsHubby, lecale, Smokem