Shopping Discussion

PC Plus (soon to be PC Optimum) Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 8:28 am
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3904 posts
1272 upvotes
I get points on beef but never use it...well obviously you are buying something that qualifies as beef like ground because you got that offer. You won't get a beef offer if you haven't bought it.

If you let someone else use that beef offer you will just get it more frequently, and in fact you will make someone else's grocery patterns take over your card so at this point what's the point of having a personalized card? If you don't like an offer just delete it, get a better offer, and move on. Better yet figure out why you got the beef offer and buy the same thing again.

If you want someone to shop and earn points for you and never redeem them, set up your grandma with a card.

No program is meant for strangers to collaborate on collecting points, not even for charity, so I think this scheme is crossing a line. It's one thing to set up a scheme to share points with a roommate...it's totally something different here. Do no business with strangers on points cards - it is expressly verboten! I would never want to see an rfd'er in trouble. I mean this in the friendliest of ways.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3904 posts
1272 upvotes
xiaobao wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 1:34 pm
Do they do rounding for these offers? Like say if I purchase $4.96 will they still give the 1000 points?
I personally suspect rounding only happens for (most) 200 pts/$1 offers. You don't get the points automatically on $4.96 and may or may not get them on a points inquiry.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14156 posts
4628 upvotes
xiaobao wrote:
Do they do rounding for these offers? Like say if I purchase $4.96 will they still give the 1000 points?
My experience is yes - they round up with hitting the threshold. A $4.96 purchase will receive the 1000 points.

The challenge is that if you buy two items, each for $4.96, you may only receive 1000 points. Which makes sense since you spent $9.92, but I know because they round some purchases you can get confused about which way they round sometimes.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1600 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver
lecale wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 1:51 pm
I personally suspect rounding only happens for (most) 200 pts/$1 offers. You don't get the points automatically on $4.96 and may or may not get them on a points inquiry.
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 2:22 pm
My experience is yes - they round up with hitting the threshold. A $4.96 purchase will receive the 1000 points.

The challenge is that if you buy two items, each for $4.96, you may only receive 1000 points. Which makes sense since you spent $9.92, but I know because they round some purchases you can get confused about which way they round sometimes.
Well for me they had a cheese offer that if you spent $15 on cheese you would get 4500 points. But all the cheese that was valid was. 3.98 or $4.96. so I ended up buying $18 to make sure that I was over. But me thinking if I had to do that as I think i would have been 10 cents off.

It was still a good deal either way but could have been a great deal.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10790 posts
3509 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
xiaobao wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 4:09 pm
Well for me they had a cheese offer that if you spent $15 on cheese you would get 4500 points. But all the cheese that was valid was. 3.98 or $4.96.
Is that this week or in the past?

My offer this week is 4,500/$15 on Cracker Barrel cheese but the stuff that's on sale this week for $3.99 at local Loblaws-chain stores is Black Diamond and PC. I assumed they did that intentionally because otherwise (4 x $3.99 - $4.50 ) / 4 = $2.86 per ~pound would indeed have been a real steal, especially the PC extra old aged cheddar.

(Actually Zehrs, but not RCSS or Valu-Mart, has it for 3.77 so the net unit price would be $2.65 if it was eligible for the points offer.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
1517 posts
428 upvotes
xiaobao wrote:
I have had different results - sometimes they round up, and if not, when I do a points inquiry, sometimes they give the points and sometimes they write a long email about the Canadian penny, as if that is relevant. The offer could just as easily be 4500 pts if you spend $14.90, but of course it will never be. Maybe next time, rather than spending $17.95, I will go to Customer Service before I pay $14.92, and show the offer and say that if I don't get the points, I will return the items. Likely they will give the points rather than have a hassle.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14156 posts
4628 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 5:27 pm
Is that this week or in the past?

My offer this week is 4,500/$15 on Cracker Barrel cheese but the stuff that's on sale this week for $3.99 at local Loblaws-chain stores is Black Diamond and PC. I assumed they did that intentionally because otherwise (4 x $3.99 - $4.50 ) / 4 = $2.86 per ~pound would indeed have been a real steal, especially the PC extra old aged cheddar.

(Actually Zehrs, but not RCSS or Valu-Mart, has it for 3.77 so the net unit price would be $2.65 if it was eligible for the points offer.)
Our RCSS (out west) had the Cracker Barrel on sale for 4.99, which is the regular sale price for the 460g size in our area. So for us it worked out to be a great deal.

I'm not sure they can always match their point offers like that because they do often match prices.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2218 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
"Strangers"? Hate when someone puts words in my mouth.

Because members immediately shoot off that these must be against terms, I will clear that up right now.......

Right from the terms in the app:

" To earn PC points more quickly, you may add additional users to your Account so that they earn and/or redeem PC points in the Account. If you are a key tag user, you can add an additional user by providing them with one of the additional key tags you should have received with your original key tag. If you access the Program through a website or mobile app, follow the instructions online to give additional users access to your Account. We may limit the number of additional users per Account. You may remove any such user from the Account or change their access at any time (i.e. allow them to only earn and not redeem PC points). If you remove any such user, PC points previously earned by that user will remain in the Account and will only be accessible to the persons who still have access to the Account. Keep in mind that you are responsible for the actions of the additional users on your Account and for informing them of these terms and conditions, the Privacy Policy, other information you may receive about your Account or the Program, and of any changes to any of these."

So this is allowed. And since you can make it so they cannot redeem, the only risk is they do not reciprocate the points. Big deal, as I wasn't getting them anyway, so happy to help out a "stranger".

Clearly this idea is only for those able to think outside the box.
Jul 11, 2011
854 posts
500 upvotes
Ontario
I had a cashier at NoFrills inform me yesterday that as of Nov. 1st, I will need to obtain a separate PCPlus card to collect my PCpoints, that I will no longer be able to swipe my PC Financial MC.

Supposedly there will be a PC Financial Debit card with the Points feature added, but she claimed that they are removing the PCPoints feature from the PC Mastercards.

Anybody seen anything on this??

--------------------------------

*edit*

Okay, so just found this on FB -- Changes to your PC Financial® banking products and services

NOTE: If you have a PC Financial® Mastercard® (provided by President’s Choice Bank) your credit card is not affected by these changes.

So it sounds like she read the memo wrong, that the changes will be affecting the debits cards

Your debit card: Between November 1, 2017 – April 13, 2018, CIBC will send you a newly-branded debit card to replace your current PC Financial branded card. Until then, just keep using your current debit card.

PC® points: As of November 1, 2017, you will no longer earn PC® points for using your debit card or for the first payroll or pension direct deposit to your bank account as a CIBC banking customer. You will, however remain a member of the PC loyalty program. You can continue to earn and redeem your points with a PC Financial Mastercard, or by joining the PC Plus® program and registering your current PC Financial debit card at pcplus.ca/register.
Last edited by hebsie on Oct 2nd, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10790 posts
3509 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
beachlover wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 6:49 am
"Strangers"? Hate when someone puts words in my mouth.
I used that term to distinguish between friends/family you know and trust and those you don't know at all. Do you have a better word for the latter group?
Because members immediately shoot off that these must be against terms...
Speaking of people who put words in other peoples' mouths, what I actually said was, "I haven't checked PCPlus' terms and conditions, but you'd have to make sure that card swapping (or equivalent) isn't prohibited."

Please explain how anyone would infer from my wording that I "immediately shoot off" that this "must be against terms."
Right from the terms in the app
Thank you.
Clearly this idea is only for those able to think outside the box.
Good luck with that.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10068 posts
974 upvotes
Markham
hebsie wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 8:12 am
I had a cashier at NoFrills inform me yesterday that as of Nov. 1st, I will need to obtain a separate PCPlus card to collect my PCpoints, that I will no longer be able to swipe my PC Financial MC.

Supposedly there will be a PC Financial Debit card with the Points feature added, but she claimed that they are removing the PCPoints feature from the PC Mastercards.

Anybody seen anything on this??
Seriously? That's a pain
Jul 11, 2011
854 posts
500 upvotes
Ontario
RolandCouch wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 8:18 am
Seriously? That's a pain
See my edit above, as I believe she was wrong, or at least only partly correct...hebs
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7577 posts
2495 upvotes
ON
akaManny wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 8:05 pm
Maybe next time, rather than spending $17.95, I will go to Customer Service before I pay $14.92, and show the offer and say that if I don't get the points, I will return the items. Likely they will give the points rather than have a hassle.
Just go to self checkout. Scan it and hit pay now to subtotal. The points should appear. If they don't, you have the option to cancel the order and walk away, or scan one more to get the points if you want to continue.
I don't think customer service can just add points, they always say to fill out a points inquiry online or call in.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
2249 posts
3145 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
aqnd wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 6:55 pm
Just go to self checkout. Scan it and hit pay now to subtotal. The points should appear. If they don't, you have the option to cancel the order and walk away, or scan one more to get the points if you want to continue.
I don't think customer service can just add points, they always say to fill out a points inquiry online or call in.
That's what I do as well - self checkout and select Pay Now to view points to be awarded.

As for in-store customer service applying missing points: I was told that they will only apply missing points if those points were on in-store point offers that were missed and will refer you to doing a missing points inquiry online or via the app or call in for personal/app/online offers.
Sep 9, 2017
162 posts
63 upvotes
Winnipeg
akaManny wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 8:05 pm
...sometimes they write a long email about the Canadian penny...
I'm strangely fixated on this. I think my points inquiries will increase dramatically in the future 'cause now I want to get the long email about the Canadian penny.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

rdiamond1