Shopping Discussion

PC Plus (soon to be PC Optimum)Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 10:33 am
Nov 11, 2016
161 posts
83 upvotes
Halifax
Is there ever a day with PC points such as SPEND YOUR POINTS day at SDM ? or a bonus points day ?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3151 posts
359 upvotes
Wat
rdiamond1 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 7:49 am
Is there ever a day with PC points such as SPEND YOUR POINTS day at SDM ? or a bonus points day ?
Yes. I'm waiting for one. The last time was spend 100,000 get 15,000 back I believe.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1474 posts
780 upvotes
rdiamond1 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 7:49 am
YES there are both.

The Bonus Points Events that ALL MEMBERS are eligible have been more frequent than the BONUS SPEND YOUR POINTS Events.

The Bonus Earn will say something like Spend $ 100 this week get 10,000 Bonus Points

They are structured exactly the same as the Spend $ X and Get Y Points that members see from time to time on their own personal PC Plus accounts... Except these are for all members

Both the Earn & Redeem Bonus Events are advertised in the weekly flyer (and ya get an email if you subscribe to emails) when they happen

The last bonus Redeem was at the end of June, it was a points back situation (so somewhat similar to how SDM structures theirs)... The more you redeemed, the more you earned back, if memory serves...

I cashed in 150,000 and got back 30,000 (info is most definitely here somewhere on RFD for that Bonus Redeem Event)... Will see if I can locate it / link it for you
Took some digging to find it, but here you go
loblaws-pc-plus-redemption-event-june-2 ... k-2108641/

In the process, I discovered Loblaws has in the past had other types of Bonus Redeem Events in Nov (one tied to GCs) but considering all the problems they had with GC Fraud this year... Doubtful we'll ever see an offer like that again
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3696 posts
490 upvotes
Richmond
Has everyone with a pcf debit card gotten a red pc plus card or have downloaded the app and linked their pcf debit card to it ? If a pc mc holder and the two are linked previously then no need to worry. Just switch to using the Pcf mc as the pc plus card

Also updated title of op.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1474 posts
780 upvotes
PC OPTIMUM PROGRAM - Announced

Its official the marriage of these two programs PC Plus & Shoppers Optimum is set to happen on Thursday, February 1, 2018

Preliminary Details are rolling out today (well since Midnight) on the two Retailers websites, here is the link to the info as it appears on the PC Plus website
https://www.pcplus.ca/static/announcements/english.html

Looks like a decent amalgamation... The PC Plus Points remain the same, and are worth exactly what they were before.

The SDM Optimum Points remain the same cash value, but flip over to the system that PC Plus currently has...
So 95,000 Optimum Points worth $ 170 becomes 170,000 PC Optimum Points worth $ 170
PLUS... and at the time of conversion, one will be credited for any points that are accumulating between SDM tiers as well (so your entire balance)... That is especially fair
There is a point conversion calculator that appears on the link I supplied above

One of the nice things is the threshold for cashing in goes from 20,000 = $ 20 down to 10,000 Points = $ 10
And BOTH Programs will allow members to cash in a maximum of 500,000 = $ 500 at one time
(that is a nice bonus for those who like to buy electronics & tech at Shoppers... no more having to worry about a $ 170 maximum).

Points will be earned at SDM at the rate of 15 Points for every $ 1 spent this is a 50% increase as today the Optimum Program accrues at the rate of 10 Points for every $ 1
AND there will be still be Bonus Earns (like 20x the Points)
Points will be earned in the PC Plus Program in the same way they are now (seems to remain points on personal offers loaded, and no ongoing points on total amount spent instore)

Another change is in how cards will be managed. There will now be one card per household (no more transfers between accounts) ... once the program is rolled out, PC Optimum Members will link all the cards in their household to one person who will be that households contact person & account manager

That's the basics... but there will be more news to come I am sure in the days & weeks ahead
Dec 7, 2016
91 posts
26 upvotes
I've been collecting PC points with my debit card since the program started. I used thousands of them about 5 yrs ago to buy gift cards to buy a big screen tv. Now i have about $215. worth that have taken me years to accumulate. Since PC is now Simpli and so many things have changed, the debit cards no longer let you get points for your cloth grocery bags that you use. I learned this today. If I get a PC Fin. Mastercard I can then get points for my cloth bags. Well that means another credit card and another monthly bill all for not that many points. I have one of the red PC Plus cards that lets me get points at No Frills gas bar but that's all the good it does me.

I have a BMO air miles Mastercard that is of much better use to me so I really dont want yet another credit card. It's just not that important to me. So, I cant buy gift cards with my accumulated points anymore, I can use them for groceries or in Superstore where they have a variety of other items like clothes, electronics etc. which I dont actually want to buy there. I wish I'd known this change was going to happen and I'd have bought gift cards while I could have with my points. It probably was there in the fine print somewhere but I didnt see it.

I'm just venting because I'm really annoyed about this.
Dec 7, 2016
91 posts
26 upvotes
Yes I know that now. It ended 6 mos or so ago, so the rep on the phone said. I did not know that til today as I was saving my points to buy something substantial, but now that's not going to happen. I may use my $215 worth of points at SuperStore for Xmas presents and then be done with it. I'd rather have air miles from my mastercard than be pushed into a PC Fin. credit card I dont want or need.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9858 posts
4229 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Am I understanding correctly that we can now spend PC points at SDM? Can I just state I want to use points and hand over my PCMC like the grocery stores?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9858 posts
4229 upvotes
Southern Ontario
My wife just told me she saw Joe Fresh small clothing items at SDM. Where is that date from? Thx
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1474 posts
780 upvotes
funkynassau123 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 4:21 pm
I've been collecting PC points with my debit card since the program started. I used thousands of them about 5 yrs ago to buy gift cards to buy a big screen tv. Now i have about $215. worth that have taken me years to accumulate. Since PC is now Simpli and so many things have changed, the debit cards no longer let you get points for your cloth grocery bags that you use. I learned this today. If I get a PC Fin. Mastercard I can then get points for my cloth bags. Well that means another credit card and another monthly bill all for not that many points. I have one of the red PC Plus cards that lets me get points at No Frills gas bar but that's all the good it does me.

I have a BMO air miles Mastercard that is of much better use to me so I really dont want yet another credit card. It's just not that important to me. So, I cant buy gift cards with my accumulated points anymore, I can use them for groceries or in Superstore where they have a variety of other items like clothes, electronics etc. which I dont actually want to buy there. I wish I'd known this change was going to happen and I'd have bought gift cards while I could have with my points. It probably was there in the fine print somewhere but I didnt see it.

I'm just venting because I'm really annoyed about this.
Vent away... it is indeed good for the soul.

In the meantime, let me give you some other thoughts on the PC Plus Program (and no doubt they'll carry thru to PC Optimum in the months to come)

1- Ya I heard about the Debit Card situation going over to Simpli. Seems now that only the PC MasterCard as been retained by Presidents Choice Financial.

2- PC Plus Card (the red one with the photo of fruit ?) anyways... it is currently good at all the Loblaws Group of stores... so not just good at the No Frills Gas Bar.

3- To make the PC Plus red card work for you, you have to load your offers every week (clearly you have internet, so easy enough to do). Then if you buy and offer you get points. Offers are based on what you regularly buy (the website actually has a link that shows the top 100 items you buy most often). If you have the app, say on a smart phone, then you can manipulate the program even more by DELAY & DELETING Offers.

Plus only thru having the PC Plus Account active (subscribe to emails) can you also ensure that you receive all the BONUS Opportunities. That is how I originally found out about the PC Plus Bonus Redemption Event that happened back in June.
Dec 7, 2016
91 posts
26 upvotes
Thank you for your reply. I knew most of what you told me here. I understand how the PC Plus website works, loading offers etc. I have the app on my phone. I havent deleted the app or anything else yet, I'm just really PO'd at how they've changed something that worked perfectly for me. I dont want another credit card, I'd rather collect air miles with my Mastercard. It seems like things get changed and not always for the better.

Thanks!