• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 8:52 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1430 posts
760 upvotes
FARMERBLANCHE wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:34 am
You can actually use the app on your phone at self checkout. You have to choose the physical card option but it scans the same.
IF it works.

Has been several posts here on RFD in the past about people thinking it did... but then got home to find there were no points credited to their account, and had to go to the time & bother of doing a Points Inquiry (sucks cause you have to list all the details... everything that is missing and how much you spent etc)

Seems to be an issue with the electronic bar code.

We like the App... we use it for many things... but not to check out.

Hoping that the new PC Optimum App corrects this issue.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3058 posts
373 upvotes
FARMERBLANCHE wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:34 am
You can actually use the app on your phone at self checkout. You have to choose the physical card option but it scans the same.
Never been able to get it working properly with the PC Plus app. But moot point for me as it does work flawlessly when I choose the physical card option and scan the barcode from the Android Pay app.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3058 posts
373 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:10 am
Besides it's not clear what they're trying accomplish by forcing people to pool points. Offering pooling as a convenience to those families who want it, yes. But forcing it on them, nope.
Simple. It's about paying out less in rewards. Two users with two separate accounts get two sets of weekly offers, the vast majority of which don't overlap.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10529 posts
3342 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:32 am
IF it works... Seems to be an issue with the electronic bar code.
My experience with reading bar codes off a smartphone screen is mixed. This includes reading codes from Android Pay as well as PDFs and other media. It seems the scanner has to be oriented in a very particular way. Often I or the scanner operator have to turn, tilt, etc. either the phone or the scanner to get a successful reading. This contrasts with the bar code scanners at checkouts that read UPS codes off a package. They seem much more tolerant of bar code positioning.

That said, I've never tried to pay at a PC Plus self checkout using my smartphone so it's possible their scanners are even more finicky than typical. I mention my experience only to suggest that it may be worth spending some time experimenting with the scanner to see if a particular phone position is more reliable.

Also I wonder how soon these self checkouts will get tap-and-pay using the NFC interface that's built into most newer phones. That should be even more reliable than scanning bar codes.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1430 posts
760 upvotes
HAPPY FRIDAY... Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes

Lol, we now return to regular programming.

This past week we redeemed 4 PC Plus Offers and made back 12% in points to total money spent for the week.

Not fabulous, but not shabby considering we picked up a few other items on this "strategy run" that we needed and did not have offers on them.

THIS WEEK'S OFFERS:

Today got 20 JUST FOR YOU OFFERS

Nicest of the bunch:

* 200 Points for every $ 1 spent on Lamb
* 1,000 Points for PC Shredded Cheese
* 1,500 Points for PC Frozen Sea Scallops

AND a

* Spend $ 100 ... Get 10,000 Points. ---> UPDATE : it is actually 10,000 Points for EVERY $ 100

Clearly they are trying to get me to spend more than I have in recent weeks

No other Offer Categories again this week... Will keep an eye out to see if any come in mid week.
So folks, all the PC Optimum Program Launch / Merger news aside, how are things going in the present tense?
Last edited by PointsHubby on Nov 10th, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
I have 200 pts per $1 spent on Breadfruit lol wanna trade?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1430 posts
760 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:51 pm
I have 200 pts per $1 spent on Breadfruit lol wanna trade?
Lol, could be worse, could be an offer on Sweetbread
:twisted:
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:09 pm
Lol, could be worse, could be an offer on Sweetbread
:twisted:
ha ha, actually I got a 5k on $50 this week too. Won't complain.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1430 posts
760 upvotes
So tell us your Breadfruit story...

Is it like my Pineapple story?

Bought ONE pineapple in 2017... Was back in June for an awesome family & friends BBQ, been getting Fresh Pineapple Offers ever since.

I could DELETE the offer in the App... But truth is every time they pop back up on my weekly list they bring back great Sumer Memories & a smile to my face. Actually looking forward to seeing the Pineapple Offer once we are in the January Deep Freeze... Figure I'll breakdown & buy another one then. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Last edited by PointsHubby on Nov 10th, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2818 posts
193 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:43 pm
Ya that's my experience as well.

I think AirMiles biggest problem was a whole bunch of not well informed users.

It was by far Canada's largest Loyalty Program... At one time they claimed at least one card in every household.

It was also one of the oldest / longest running programs.

But consequently it had a lot of members who were casual users or hangers on (when you take years to accumulate 500+ AM you are not an active member. Period)

It costs admin money to run a program as big as Airmiles... Hanger Ons were costing the program lots of admin money with account maintenance / mail outs etc... And no return. So at the end of 2011 they announced that inactive accounts would expire IN 5 YEARS... The end of 2016.

Regular users got the info and shrugged, no big deal. Most Loyalty Programs have expiry dates... Fact if life.

Casual users & hanger ons did not read the notice... Cause well quite frankly they were not invested / actively engaged in the program.

FF to last Quarter 2016... And suddenly the Expiration of AirMiles is earth shattering front page news, cause the casual users & hanger ons wanted something for their dusty points.

And plenty of other folks misunderstood the media frenzy... And they too wanted to cash out (it was like a run on a bank)

Meanwhile the very dedicated users who were well informed shrugged it all off, as we had taken appropriate actions long ago... Like 5 years ago !!

Personally, we had actually opted to up our participation.. From Gold to Onyx. Points don't expire if you are Onyx. This was not a difficult move for us... We just switched around one cc, and slightly changed our banking habits (went from using our debit card, to using our cc ... Now a World Elite with 1 AM / $ 10). And making a point of putting the majority of our stuff onto the cc... Like regular monthly bills etc.

In our 2 person household we easily can make the 6000 annual points when we also add in our other spending that happened naturally at AM Suppliers (like the LCBO - Lowes etc).

We rarely "hunt down" points as so many claim ... On "over priced" products. We buy stuff we would buy anyways ON SALE or need / want (ie LCBO... Gotta pay those prices no matter what as they are the only game in town)

Only time of year we "hunt" or track heavily is during AM Bonus Events (like Mega Miles) then we are more aware of what's out there. And as a result now do most of our online shopping via AirMiles Shops.ca year round.

Results:

We kept all our points at the Expiry Date. We've moved up to Onyx which means more AM Benefits... Like less points for flights & vacations. Good service at Gold, got better at Onyx.

We did see a blip in things after the whole world was cashing out, and afterwards ... But we chose not to cash out during that time. And now things are pretty much back to normal.

We have not experienced problems booking things we want cause not only do we have access to the website & travel agency, but also the Personal Shopper. If I want 2 airline tickets at Christmas... I get can get them. They quote me a price, and then I decide if it is what I am willing to pay / cash in. Sometimes yes... Sometimes no.

Overall still a happy customer using our AM Account to plan great vacations at least once a year... Sometimes something short (getaway weekend with short hop flight) and at other times something bigger... Like a cruise for a special anniversary.

For us AirMiles is a no brainier. It is free. Doesn't cost me anything extra other than a wee bit of time a few times a year (MegaMiles) to track or plan what's on offer & where we are in our 6000 Annual AM accumulation.

People who opted out... Good for them, IMO all the better for the rest of us.
I was a hardcore airmiles collector. Have since switched to a straight cash back card, much better returns. A %2 card gives you $2 dollars on every hundred dollars, how many miles would you get?
Commemorative loonie rolls, quarter rolls, 50 cent rolls all different kinds of rolls contact for details. Venetian glass bee $250 plus shipping. 20for20 canoe $30 shipped 20for20 polar bear $30 shipped. Lots of 5 packs loons, toons and quaters
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1430 posts
760 upvotes
Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:27 pm
I was a hardcore airmiles collector. Have since switched to a straight cash back card, much better returns. A %2 card gives you $2 dollars on every hundred dollars, how many miles would you get?
Ya but if I got cash back, it would just get "absorbed" and never be seen again

Whole reason we are Points crazy. Easier to stay accountable... At least for us.

ADD - To answer your Question. We get a MINIMUM of 10 Airmiles on $ 100.
At a value of 10 to 15 cents an AM = $ 1.00 to $ 1.50 / $ 100
Or a 1.0 to 1.5 % return
Mind ya we are Points wise, so our actual amount of AMs per $ 100 is usually higher cause we double-dip
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:26 pm
So tell us your Breadfruit story...

Is it like my Pineapple story?

Bought ONE pineapple in 2017... Was back in June for an awesome family & friends BBQ, been getting Fresh Pineapple Offers ever since.

I could DELETE the offer in the App... But truth is every time they pop back up on my weekly list they bring back great Sumer Memories & a smile to my face. Actually looking forward to seeing the Pineapple Offer once we are in the January Deep Freeze... Figure I'll breakdown & buy another one then. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
I have never bought breadfruit and they don't even sell it here...I also have an offer for persimmons which I don't buy. A few weeks ago they were trying to entice me to buy plantains. No logic to it!
Nov 11, 2016
159 posts
82 upvotes
Halifax
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:48 pm
HAPPY FRIDAY... Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes

Lol, we now return to regular programming.

This past week we redeemed 4 PC Plus Offers and made back 12% in points to total money spent for the week.

Not fabulous, but not shabby considering we picked up a few other items on this "strategy run" that we needed and did not have offers on them.

THIS WEEK'S OFFERS:

Today got 20 JUST FOR YOU OFFERS

Nicest of the bunch:

* 200 Points for every $ 1 spent on Lamb
* 1,000 Points for PC Shredded Cheese
* 1,500 Points for PC Frozen Sea Scallops

AND a

* Spend $ 100 ... Get 10,000 Points.

Clearly they are trying to get me to spend more than I have in recent weeks

No other Offer Categories again this week... Will keep an eye out to see if any come in mid week.
So folks, all the PC Optimum Program Launch / Merger news aside, how are things going in the present tense?
I was so excited to see that one last week....

I had planned on how I would "double dip " and then I paid for some PC Entertaining Cooking Classes .... and guess what ?
Oh.... you made some points here .,,,, UGH yes... used it... but I suppose it is the same.

I had no idea that the Cooking School was included.

Great tip... someone ? ... on the saving a coupon for a week or so... it works !!! Swipe right on the iphone 5S.

After approx 8 weeks of loading offers.... FINALLY we have the 3 "other offers ".
50 % off ChopChop Salads
25 % off Swifter
33% off Pedigree wet dog food.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1430 posts
760 upvotes
rdiamond1 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:16 pm
I was so excited to see that one last week....

I had planned on how I would "double dip " and then I paid for some PC Entertaining Cooking Classes .... and guess what ?
Oh.... you made some points here .,,,, UGH yes... used it... but I suppose it is the same.

I had no idea that the Cooking School was included.

Great tip... someone ? ... on the saving a coupon for a week or so... it works !!! Swipe right on the iphone 5S.

After approx 8 weeks of loading offers.... FINALLY we have the 3 "other offers ".
50 % off ChopChop Salads
25 % off Swifter
33% off Pedigree wet dog food.
Your post made me go back & look at my Offers for this week.

And sure enough it says 10,000 Points for EVERY $ 100

So I guess you indeed could have double dipped on Groceries & the Cooking Classes
IF you had spoke to Customer Service and got them to let you put BOTH on one transaction

We've found that to be the key... Sometimes ya gotta talk to Customer Service if you want to combine things that are not always run thru the same till / area of the store (like Fresh Flowers)

Most of the time there is a way they can make it happen,.. And sometimes there isn't
But worth the ask

So... Tell us more about the Cooking Classes, have never done any at Loblaws.
Now I'm intrigued by the thought.
Nov 11, 2016
159 posts
82 upvotes
Halifax
Cooking classes are at quite a few of the stores.
To check google : PC cooking classes and enter your province and town.
http://www.pccookingschool.ca/LCLOnline/

You can seIect the course you like.

The ones I booked were the HOliday PC Insiders classes. Typically a 3 to 4 course meal with a gift bag and it is usually quite a bit of fun.
We went last year- a great deal.

Here is the description... the menu is not there but I think it is usually pretty great.

We at President’s Choice understand that while the holidays are a joyous time of year, entertaining can be stressful for the host. Let us help you enjoy your family and friends with recipes that will cover all your entertaining needs using the Must Try’s from the PC® Insider’s Collection. Join us in the PC Cooking School to participate in a partial hands on cooking class where Flavour and Friends come together. Tonight our PC Chef has created recipes for a menu that are both time-saving and sure to please your guests. We love the Holidays too and our Holiday Insiders Collection has great ideas for adding inspiration and flavour to your holiday entertaining.
Great food and ideas/ tips.

There is a Brunch and a Dinner class.

These particular ones are $ 15 + tax per person.

Sadly there will be a big change to the cost structure of these classes to come in line with "market value" in the new year,,,,