Shopping Discussion

PC Plus (soon to be PC Optimum) Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2018 3:25 pm
Jul 10, 2008
709 posts
120 upvotes
A lot of my offers have doubled in points. Sooner or later they will be halved again I know.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2764 posts
1372 upvotes
greenman456 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 8:54 pm
A lot of my offers have doubled in points

Sooner or later they will be halved again I know.
Examples please.
Oct 14, 2017
111 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 9:49 pm
Examples please.
Guessing he's referring to produce and meat offers that were 100 pts per dollar and are now 200.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2764 posts
1372 upvotes
Jonric wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 12:05 am
Guessing he's referring to produce and meat offers that were 100 pts per dollar and are now 200.
Maybe it depends on WHAT STORE...

Cause I have been getting 200 Points / $ 1 on Fresh Meat & Produce since day one (and still am)

I do the majority of my PC Points Shopping at a Loblaws branded store
Oct 14, 2017
111 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 1:22 am

Cause I have been getting 200 Points / $ 1 on Fresh Meat & Produce since day one (and still am)

It seems very likely to be chain-driven. It makes too much intuitive sense that the offers would be better at the chains with higher prices to think otherwise.
Jul 10, 2008
709 posts
120 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:

Nope, I go to Loblaws often, more likely you have a pcf mc.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2764 posts
1372 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:

Jonric wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 11:30 am
It seems very likely to be chain-driven. It makes too much intuitive sense that the offers would be better at the chains with higher prices to think otherwise.
greenman456 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 8:01 pm
Nope, I go to Loblaws often, more likely you have a pcf mc.
So much for that theory...

And it ain’t the CC either... cause I don’t have a PC MC
Nov 11, 2016
227 posts
111 upvotes
Halifax
OK... testing the time theory last night in the East ( far east ).

At 11:30 PM :
I saved 3 offers. On the fourth - I received the ERROR message.

Tried again - same ERROR message .

at 2:35 AM :
Went to try and all new offers ( for next week ) were loaded - including the 3 saved. So of course I could not save a old one.- they weren/t there !

So the saving of more than 3 offers is a NO GO for me ( using an iphone 5s App ) at any time .

I am disappointed in the constant 20 % offers - 4 for Black Label items - sp super premium.

I think I am going to head to Sobey's for a few weeks. I should use up a couple of those gift cards anyway.

Maybe one day I will get one of those : Buy $ 100 get 10,0000 points.
When that happens I will go back.

BTW : On the last page of the Flyer : 4000 points with the purchase of PC K Cups ( selected 30 packs )
Oct 14, 2017
111 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 10:33 pm
So much for that theory...
I'm not ready to abandon this theory immediately based on one person who reports shopping at Loblaws "often" without giving any indication of actual frequency or relative frequency compared to other Loblaws-group chains.

As a simplified example, if I were to shop at Loblaws an average of once a week without ever going to No Frills, RCSS, etc., the PC+ system would only be able to identify me as a Loblaws shopper, and my produce offers would be chosen accordingly, with the result being that I get mostly 200 per dollar ones. But what if I were to go there the same once a week but also shop at No Frills twice as often? Intuitively, I'd expect the system to classify me as a No Frills shopper, thereby increasing the probability that my offers will skew toward 100 per dollar.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2764 posts
1372 upvotes
rdiamond1 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 8:33 am
OK... testing the time theory last night in the East ( far east ).

At 11:30 PM :
I saved 3 offers. On the fourth - I received the ERROR message.

Tried again - same ERROR message .

at 2:35 AM :
Went to try and all new offers ( for next week ) were loaded - including the 3 saved. So of course I could not save a old one.- they weren/t there !

So the saving of more than 3 offers is a NO GO for me ( using an iphone 5s App ) at any time .

I am disappointed in the constant 20 % offers - 4 for Black Label items - sp super premium.

I think I am going to head to Sobey's for a few weeks. I should use up a couple of those gift cards anyway.

Maybe one day I will get one of those : Buy $ 100 get 10,0000 points.
When that happens I will go back.

BTW : On the last page of the Flyer : 4000 points with the purchase of PC K Cups ( selected 30 packs )
My experience in the past, and yours... were identical

I can only try again

Probably tonight as here in Ontario our PC Plus Offers do the roll over midnight between Thursday & Friday

(Beginning though to think this SYSTEM QUIRK only works in the West)
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2764 posts
1372 upvotes
Jonric wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 11:56 am
I'm not ready to abandon this theory immediately based on one person who reports shopping at Loblaws "often" without giving any indication of actual frequency or relative frequency compared to other Loblaws-group chains.

As a simplified example, if I were to shop at Loblaws an average of once a week without ever going to No Frills, RCSS, etc., the PC+ system would only be able to identify me as a Loblaws shopper, and my produce offers would be chosen accordingly, with the result being that I get mostly 200 per dollar ones. But what if I were to go there the same once a week but also shop at No Frills twice as often? Intuitively, I'd expect the system to classify me as a No Frills shopper, thereby increasing the probability that my offers will skew toward 100 per dollar.
Fair enough

Our primary store for PC Plus is a Loblaws Store... rare for us to visit any others in the group

We are in at least once a week... even if just for a quick pick up (milk / bread).
We Strategy Shop our Offers (so may go in just for Points Offers) at least every 7 to 10 Days.

We do a bigger stock up shop (or what people sometime refer to as their weekly shopping trip) every 10 to 21 Days

Our Loblaws Shopping used to be more consistent for stock ups (7 to 10 Days) but since joining RFD about a year ago now our Strategy Shopping across several Grocery Store Brands has become even more perfected. So our Grocery Dollars are more spread out, vs the majority going to Loblaws. Makes our Grocery Money certainly go farther (as well as accumulated Loyalty Perks... PC Plus / AirMiles)

Even though our shopping patterns have changed... our spending is still the highest annually with the Loblaws Group.

And we still continue to receive great weekly PC Plus Offers... I still attribute this to being part of being a FREQUENT CUSTOMER by Loblaws / PC Plus definition... in that we are in the store once a week or more... even if it is just to pick up milk / bread. They are clearly hoping while we are in we will get more stuff.

And like I said we don’t have a Loblaws / PC Plus CC
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1122 posts
643 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:

You're getting 200 points/$1 on *all* produce? Man that would be nice. This week I have 100 points/$1 spread over four offers for only four different kinds of produce.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2764 posts
1372 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 12:33 pm
You're getting 200 points/$1 on *all* produce? Man that would be nice. This week I have 100 points/$1 spread over four offers for only four different kinds of produce.
The majority of Produce ... yes.

But not all, cause like others I also get the “flat rate” offers as well.

So this past week
* 200 Points for every $ 1 Spent on Asparagus (value = 20%)
* 200 Points for every $ 1 Spent on Mushrooms (value = 20%)
* 800 Points for Blueberries (value = 80 cents)
* 500 Points for Blackberries (value = 50 cents)

NOTE - Bracketed comments are my own

Only got 4 Produce Offers this week. A regular week i’d get 5 or 6
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1821 posts
366 upvotes
Toronto
My main store is Superstore and I routinely get 200 /$1 produce offers plus the berries etc. Offers, makes buying mushrooms, tomato, lettuce, bulk foods etc. much more reasonable with either their sales or price matching. Just last week I had Kellogg's offer of 3500 points for spending $10 and personal Eggo offer of 200 /$1 and I price matched 16 pk for $3.99 plus one 8 pk for $2.48 so got 5500 points for spending $10.46.