PCAT: What's competitive?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2009 11:44 pm
[OP]
Dec 6, 2007
1 posts
Hamilton/Toronto

PCAT: What's competitive?

I wrote the PCAT and I didn't study for the verbal or practice the essay.

I didn't do too well in the end since I didn't even finish the essay (lol).
I got 2.0 while the mean was 2.83 (lol again).

Verbal Percentile: 86
Bio: 98
Reading: 83
Math: 97
Chem: 99

Composite (does that mean all?): 98

I don't know if I should pay another $200 to write it again in Jan. I don't even really have time to study for verbal (which I would really appreciate tips on since I have no idea what to do).

Also, how did others prepare for the essay?
I should have prepared more, but I had no idea what to do.

Thanks in advance~
9 replies
Mar 6, 2009
433 posts
4 upvotes
I don't really know much about PCAT, but I know one of my friend who got into UT pharmacy this year didn't finish writing her exam either. I don't know what was her average was but it should be around A-.

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1457 posts
378 upvotes
You might not meet the minimum cutoff for the essays. It was 2.5/3.0 last year, if I remember correctly.

Even though the rest of your test is stellar, you still have to meet minimum requirements for all the sections.

EDIT: this is from the faculty website:

"However, minimums for the 2009 admission cycle were as follows: Conventions of Language 3, Problem Solving 2.5, Composite Percentile 50, Chemistry percentile 50, Biology percentile 20, Quantitative Ability percentile 20, Reading Comprehension percentile 20, and Verbal Ability percentile 20"
Jul 14, 2009
31 posts
McMaster University
irisbret3 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2009 10:50 pm
I wrote the PCAT and I didn't study for the verbal or practice the essay.

I didn't do too well in the end since I didn't even finish the essay (lol).
I got 2.0 while the mean was 2.83 (lol again).

Verbal Percentile: 86
Bio: 98
Reading: 83
Math: 97
Chem: 99

Composite (does that mean all?): 98

I don't know if I should pay another $200 to write it again in Jan. I don't even really have time to study for verbal (which I would really appreciate tips on since I have no idea what to do).

Also, how did others prepare for the essay?
I should have prepared more, but I had no idea what to do.

Thanks in advance~
Did you buy any prep test books at all before taking the PCAT (such as Kaplan, Barron's, etc.) ?? If so, did it help you ?
May 9, 2007
654 posts
14 upvotes
The minimum score requirement according to the cutoffs for the 2009 application at UofT was: (we got these numbers when they sent out the admission notice and you must meet all these requirements to be considered.)

Conventions of Language (Essay) - 3
Problem Solving (Essay) - 2.5
Composite Percentile - 50
Chemistry percentile - 50
Chemistry percentile - 50
Biology percentile - 20
Quantitative Ability - 20
Reading Comprehension - 20
Verbal Ability - 20

Since you didn't meet the essay requirement, you wouldn't be consider despite your overall composite mark. On the other hand, there's gonna be an interview this year that should be fun.
Feb 23, 2008
116 posts
1 upvote
You should look into the schools that you are applying to. I'm pretty sure that ubc doesn't look at the two essays, however ubc is different than most schools because the pcat barley matters in regards to admission. After going through the admission process a few years ago, it seems like they are an interview heavy school, and this seems to be the case for their med school too. That being said, i know for the mcat and pcat ubc looks closely at the english portions to make sure you are competent because anyone can study hard and ace the chem and bio sections.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1457 posts
378 upvotes
Kaizen257 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2009 1:35 am
Did you buy any prep test books at all before taking the PCAT (such as Kaplan, Barron's, etc.) ?? If so, did it help you ?
The majority of people use the books to prepare. This is because the biology section contains some microbiology and a little histology that people may not have taken yet. Also, the books are very good practice for the reading comp/verbal sections. I used Kaplan.

For Math and Chem, I studied from my old textbooks though.
Sep 9, 2007
222 posts
1 upvote
The "cut-off" might change just to accommodate you, since my composite was 99th percentile but my writing was 2.5 and 3.0 respectively. I find it an amazing coincidence how I just met the cut-offs for writing.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1457 posts
378 upvotes
NoJustice wrote:
Nov 1st, 2009 10:43 pm
The "cut-off" might change just to accommodate you, since my composite was 99th percentile but my writing was 2.5 and 3.0 respectively. I find it an amazing coincidence how I just met the cut-offs for writing.
What?? The test is graded by Pearson down in the USA, while the cutoffs are determined by admissions of the school you're applying to. The school didn't change the cutoffs so they could admit you, lol. I guess it was an amazing coincidence.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2008
1216 posts
205 upvotes
Hi,

Just wondering, what were your scores/percentiles and did you get in? Do you know people who got in? What were their scores?

Thanks!!!