None
[OP]
Aug 27, 2004
584 posts
32 upvotes
Calgary

PCF Waiving NSF Fee

A little background:
I've banked with PCF for about 9 years and I have never had a NSF with them or any other bank.

Recently, I paid for a purchase with PayPal and mistakenly forgot to change the payment method to my credit card from the default bank account. I keep no money in the account so the EFT payment to PayPal bounced and the account got stung with the $35 NSF fee.

I phoned up President's Choice Financial and asked to have the fee waived. The representative checked my account and waived the NSF fee :) as a "one-time only". He mentioned that I have been a customer for almost 9 years, that I must have been one of the first and they were happy to have my business.

It's nice to be treated as a customer!
Former Know-It-All
45 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2256 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
I had that happen once also, but the rep only gave me 1/2 off. I've only been a 5 yr customer... hmmmm, linear relationship...
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1347 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Happened to me as well, rep gave me full fee refund, I was only customer for just over 3 months. :razz:
[OP]
Aug 27, 2004
584 posts
32 upvotes
Calgary
esq05 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2007 12:40 pm
Happened to me as well, rep gave me full fee refund, I was only customer for just over 3 months. :razz:
You must have a good phone voice :lol:
Former Know-It-All
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1347 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
I guess it was that I was new to their system, and what I had done was transfered money from savings to chequing but somehow it didnt go through, and I also had setup a payment, which in return did not go through. So I guess it was partially their fault, but Im happy. Maybe they look at your average account balance. ;)
Feb 28, 2002
556 posts
GTA
I've also been unfortunate in the past to have an NSF charge on my account, and the rep was very kind to waive the fee.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3415 posts
29 upvotes
Coquitlam
I had a NSF one due to pre authorize charges I forgot about. I have been a customer of PC Financial for almost two years.

Called in and tried to get them to waive it. They gave me 80% of the NSF fees back in PC points.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2006
4472 posts
24 upvotes
damn, i've had NSF twice and didnt think that they would waive the fee.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8257 posts
2378 upvotes
Ottawa
I only managed to get $17.50 in PC points (1/2 of the fee)
Dec 25, 2006
783 posts
8 upvotes
I have been with BMO for less than a year, once I accdentially deposited twice from BMO to ING, and it bounced back, I got $35 NSF waived...

At least for the big five BMO really has the best customer service.
Oct 10, 2006
906 posts
41 upvotes
Halifax
Its all about your tone and how you explain the situation, if you ask nicely you will pretty much always get it back. If you call in with an attitude your chances of getting anything back is slim. Of course if you have a history of tons of Nsf charges and refunds, probably not.

~C
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18098 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
yeah, i got an NSF one time when their buggy system was down and I had accidentally paid twice. Didn't bother calling in :mad:
Switched to TD Bank anyway, so at least I won't have this problem in the future. My mom was actually right when she said it's better to bank with a real bank. > :(

I wonder if this affects your credit report though ... if you got the NSF fee waived, does this mean it wouldn't hurt your credit rating??
Oct 10, 2006
906 posts
41 upvotes
Halifax
NSF's on your bank accounts are not reported to the credit bureau so no worries about that. Only time an account would be is if it went to collections.

~C
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1309 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
Was a customer for 5 years. I was moving money from PCF into another bank, and underestimated the time it took for the money to clear, and went into overdraft when transferring more funds out.

Just called them up, explained the situation and that it was my fault. The waived the NSF fee , "just this once".
Silentblue.net - Fat free and dolphin safe
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3391 posts
29 upvotes
Brampton
This happened to me just this Month,started a new job and the paycheck came in later than expected.
Came home to find out that no only didn't my pre-authorized payments go through, but I got charged $35 each = $70.

The CSR sid he couldn't do anything, and yes I have been a customer for over 3 months and no prior NSF charges.
I am actually thinking canceling my account, with all the fees of a regular bank, I have never been charged over $70 in one year before.
Other Banks don't even charge you for pre-authorized payments if the money isn't there, it's not like its a bounced cheque.
|D
|D [\/] /\ Z
× < >