Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto

PCFinancial money order/bank draft?

has anyone ordered one through pcf before?

i need a money order in a few weeks and looking on their site it costs $7.50 but it also states that there is a courier charge. does anyone know how much this is and anyway of not having to pay the courier charge like have it delivered to cibc branch or pavilion?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Can't remember exactly but I think it cost me about $20 for a bank draft that I could pick up at a CIBC branch. It took 2 days.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2165 posts
29 upvotes
Mississauga
Post office charges 3.50.
Banned
Mar 12, 2007
87 posts
BeaverLiquor wrote: has anyone ordered one through pcf before?

i need a money order in a few weeks and looking on their site it costs $7.50 but it also states that there is a courier charge. does anyone know how much this is and anyway of not having to pay the courier charge like have it delivered to cibc branch or pavilion?
Transfer funds out to a regular bank account and then get a money order from the bank.

Otherwise .... take cash out and get the money order at the post office.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
ConceptX wrote: Transfer funds out to a regular bank account and then get a money order from the bank.

Otherwise .... take cash out and get the money order at the post office.
yeah this was the other option i was thinking of, i just got off the phone with pcf and it costs $7.50 + $20 courier fee to a cibc...luckily i still have a rbc account. but cp isn't really an option as they only do $999.99 max per order for $4.50.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Banned
Mar 12, 2007
87 posts
BeaverLiquor wrote: yeah this was the other option i was thinking of, i just got off the phone with pcf and it costs $7.50 + $20 courier fee to a cibc...luckily i still have a rbc account. but cp isn't really an option as they only do $999.99 max per order for $4.50.
Then the only option you have would be a draft (over $1000) with RBC since you still have an account with them
May 10, 2005
900 posts
5 upvotes
Alberta
I love PC Financial, but this is one of the few negatives about them. Oh well, can't have your cake and eat it too I suppose! :)
Apr 21, 2005
330 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
I buy my Western Union money orders from Money Mart. I forget what they charge ? ~ $2.50 ?
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2005
5042 posts
2739 upvotes
Earth
Spud72 wrote: I love PC Financial, but this is one of the few negatives about them. Oh well, can't have your cake and eat it too I suppose! :)
Yeah.That's the biggest disadvantage of PCFinancial. It's inconvienced me twice.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.

$99 10GB/month Can/US/Mexico, 1000 minutes, free evenings and weekend
Dec 25, 2002
660 posts
229 upvotes
Yes, we had to do it when we bought our vehicle. It cost us about $28 and it was a big pain (the CIBC tellers were REALLY not sure of the process) For us though it was worth the hassle because we didn't have the time to switch that much money to another bank and have it clear. $28 in fees when we have been with them since 2000 isn't too bad.

Kelly
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Just to tell another story, I had an account at a big 5 bank a few years back and needed a bank draft of some sort to purchase a car. I went into my local branch and they couldn't get it to me for a couple of days because it wasn't my home branch. I was welcome to drive to my home branch (hours away) where I could get one immediately (even though it would have been closed by the time I got there). Maybe things have changed now and branches can actually communicate with each other (which apparently they couldn't about 7 years ago) but the big 5 were no better than PCF (other than the cost) in terms of getting a bank draft. Just as much hassle.

In the end, the car place would accpet line of credit cheques or bank drafts. I did the line of credit cheque (how this is different than a normal cheque, I don't know) and just transferred the money that day into my line of credit account.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
1072 posts
391 upvotes
a bit off tangent here but, a couple of years ago when i got my place, i was in a big rush to get a deposit down an offer on a condo (which i still live in now). i called them and the turnaround time was 3 days (they told me). I needed it in 2. I would have gone the post office route, but i needed to put down $8000 and the limit on the ATM is $1000. And the operator said that the best they can allow is $2000 ....so i wasn't anywhere close to accessing my money with PCF....ended up asking for my dad to borrow the money (which I didn't want to do).

but right after that, i set up an account at RBC. the features are pretty pricey but at least if i ever need my money, it's a way better way to access it than PCF. that being said, i still have a PCF account, i just don't keep that much money in there any longer. just enough so i can pay off my bills and use interac every now and again...
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2005
5042 posts
2739 upvotes
Earth
porkchopbread wrote: a bit off tangent here but, a couple of years ago when i got my place, i was in a big rush to get a deposit down an offer on a condo (which i still live in now). i called them and the turnaround time was 3 days (they told me). I needed it in 2. I would have gone the post office route, but i needed to put down $8000 and the limit on the ATM is $1000. And the operator said that the best they can allow is $2000 ....so i wasn't anywhere close to accessing my money with PCF....ended up asking for my dad to borrow the money (which I didn't want to do).

but right after that, i set up an account at RBC. the features are pretty pricey but at least if i ever need my money, it's a way better way to access it than PCF. that being said, i still have a PCF account, i just don't keep that much money in there any longer. just enough so i can pay off my bills and use interac every now and again...
The problem has come up for me about 3 times. I got around it by using a line of credit at a regular bank and depositing the same amount immediately after issuing the draft.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.

Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
I've gotten a $10K down payment bank draft, in 10 mins, at non-home TD branch
and also ~25K bank draft for the car, from CIBC I believe, in 10-15 mins too, non-home branch either

so I don't think money order/certified cheque/bank draft will take 1+ day really, at least I hope not
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2005
5042 posts
2739 upvotes
Earth
jerryhung wrote: I've gotten a $10K down payment bank draft, in 10 mins, at non-home TD branch
and also ~25K bank draft for the car, from CIBC I believe, in 10-15 mins too, non-home branch either

so I don't think money order/certified cheque/bank draft will take 1+ day really, at least I hope not
From your PCFinancial account it does.

Mar 29, 2009
367 posts
22 upvotes
GTA
it is really sad that for the most important transactions in a persons life, such as getting a new roof, or a car, or a house, or whenever you need a large sum bank draft....going thru this process of paying 28.00 and then having to pull teeth and track your cheque down and practically get down on your knee's and beg for it..the biggest transaction of your life and the pcfinancial and cibc bank make it a harrowing..sorrowful experience. damn them.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2674 posts
801 upvotes
Vizla78 wrote: it is really sad that for the most important transactions in a persons life, such as getting a new roof, or a car, or a house, or whenever you need a large sum bank draft....going thru this process of paying 28.00 and then having to pull teeth and track your cheque down and practically get down on your knee's and beg for it..the biggest transaction of your life and the pcfinancial and cibc bank make it a harrowing..sorrowful experience. damn them.
Harrowing and sorrowful? Are you serious? You make a phone call then walk down the street to the closest CIBC. Woe is me! Alas, life is not worth living!

What do you do when you run out of milk? Jesus.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)