Expired Hot Deals

[PCMag] [US] Google Home Hub sale $79.99 USD [Potentially No Tax, YMMV] ($107 CAD). Can be paid with Amazon Pay! [2019-04-20]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 5:26 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2017
47 posts
35 upvotes

[US] Google Home Hub sale $79.99 USD [Potentially No Tax, YMMV] ($107 CAD). Can be paid with Amazon Pay! [2019-04-20]

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
PCMag
I started another thread on the same deal on Rakuten, but that did not appear to work out since Rakuten support stated they are actively blocking non-US customers: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/us-2019 ... #p30828684

I posted this here in case there are people who want to try a bit more in getting that sweet American deal. I will post result on whether or not the order gets cancelled or delivered.

The difference with this deal is that PCMag accepts Amazon Pay which in turn accepts Canadian credit cards. I am not sure if PCMag actually accepts Canadian credit cards (given they have same deal as Rakuten which may have region blockers) but the difference here is that Amazon Pay is a payment system done through Amazon which accepts Canadian credit cards.

Here's what I did in this attempt:
1. In my US Amazon account, add my Canadian credit card
2. Add American address (in this case, pointed to my company's office address) and associate it with the credit card
3. Make order on PCMag using VPN pointed to USA
4. Choose "Amazon pay"
5. Pick the American address and the credit card

After the transaction (~30 mins), I checked with my credit card. They said the payment was approved and the merchant is Amazon instead of PCMag. This means unless Amazon is giving customer information to PCMag, then it should be quite unlikely for PCMag to know I am a Canadian customer. Will keep you guys posted.

Update: I got a confirmation from Amazon Pay that money was successfully deducted. No cancellation notice yet.

Also, a user reported that tax is charged when ordering to NY. I was not charged a tax when I ordered to another state.

Update 2: My order has been sent for shipment. Due to arrive next week. Seems like I am being downvoted. Oh well, at least I got my deal :)
Last edited by andycwlai on Apr 24th, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2096 posts
2383 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Final price is still YMMV, I was able checkout with AmazonPay and have it shipped to my CrossBorderPickups address (I use the same as billing address on my CC), but there was tax added for NY, so $86.39 USD (approx. $120 CDN) plus I'll need to pay $10+tax to forward it to Mississauga, plus I'll need to pay the HST on $79.99 USD (approx. $15 CDN), so $145 minimum, and that's not factoring possible duty. I ordered from Amazon.ca for $139 total! (Currently it's $141.89 total (no tax added) for charcoal)
[OP]
Nov 26, 2017
47 posts
35 upvotes
remik wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 4:10 pm
Final price is still YMMV, I was able checkout with AmazonPay and have it shipped to my CrossBorderPickups address (I use the same as billing address on my CC), but there was tax added for NY, so $86.39 USD (approx. $120 CDN) plus I'll need to pay $10+tax to forward it to Mississauga, plus I'll need to pay the HST on $79.99 USD (approx. $15 CDN), so $145 minimum, and that's not factoring possible duty. I ordered from Amazon.ca for $139 total! (Currently it's $141.89 total (no tax added) for charcoal)
Yeah, this deal is only sweet for people who can pick up in USA free of charge. For me, I have it shipped to my company's corporate HQ in USA. Then I will pick it up myself (I am going for business trip soon) or have a colleague bring it to me when they come for visit. I was not charged any tax. Your item already delivered on same day?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2096 posts
2383 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
andycwlai wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 8:07 pm
Yeah, this deal is only sweet for people who can pick up in USA free of charge. For me, I have it shipped to my company's corporate HQ in USA. Then I will pick it up myself (I am going for business trip soon) or have a colleague bring it to me when they come for visit. I was not charged any tax. Your item already delivered on same day?

Nope, I added to cart and got up until the complete order section, where the total showed $86.39 (8% NY Sales Tax)
[OP]
Nov 26, 2017
47 posts
35 upvotes
Update: My order has been sent for shipment. Due to arrive next week.